The Official 2015 Mets Thread | Page 20 | The Boneyard

The Official 2015 Mets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
No love for Philly in that discussion?

Philly has actually won some titles in various sports. And while they can be obnoxious, they're actually very self-critical, not entitled know-nothings who believe that when ESPN crowns you champion pre-season that you've really won something.

Same would apply to Boston. Although I lived in Quincy for a couple of years and was happy to join Red Sox Nation due to my lifelong hatred of the Yankees.

Reaction Score
One note I read after last night is that Syndergaard has never pitched more than like 130 innings and he's at something like 113 right now. There was mention of moving him to the pen to conserve his arm?!?! Or shutting him down? I wonder what cap Harvey has in Year 1 after surgery too.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
One note I read after last night is that Syndergaard has never pitched more than like 130 innings and he's at something like 113 right now. There was mention of moving him to the pen to conserve his arm?!?! Or shutting him down? I wonder what cap Harvey has in Year 1 after surgery too.
I've seen people projecting out all their starts the rest of the way and Thor (170-180), Harvey (180-190), and deGrom (~210) are all going to be at the upper limit of their preferred innings limits right around the last week of the season. There's no way they can shut down their arms in a playoff run though. You just can't have a 4 man rotation that includes Niese and Colon...

When Matz comes back they're definitely going to a 6 man rotation again. In the meantime, I would like to see a couple spot starts from Verrett just to help lighten the load a little. He obviously had good results in his bullpen stint and has pitched well enough in AAA. The only other way they can really limit their innings is if they somehow manage to get a 5 game lead in the division and then manufacture a mystery 15 day DL stint for Harvey and Syndergaard.

Reaction Score
It might not be the worst to bring Gee up and throw a 6 man rotation during an easy stretch either. It could be a blessing that he didn't get picked up by someone else.

mets1090

Reaction Score
It might not be the worst to bring Gee up and throw a 6 man rotation during an easy stretch either. It could be a blessing that he didn't get picked up by someone else.
Was originally going to say that but he's not on the 40 man roster and they have a few guys coming back from the 60 day DL soon (Blevins, Wright, and I think there's a third one I'm forgetting) that will eat up a few spots as well. It would be tough to get him eligible for the 25 man roster without putting someone else through waivers.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Oh actually, if I'm not mistaken, Leathersich isn't on the 60 day DL yet (just had Tommy John) so you could do that and then add Gee.

Reaction Score
Philly has actually won some titles in various sports. And while they can be obnoxious, they're actually very self-critical, not entitled know-nothings who believe that when ESPN crowns you champion pre-season that you've really won something.

Same would apply to Boston. Although I lived in Quincy for a couple of years and was happy to join Red Sox Nation due to my lifelong hatred of the Yankees.

One is Evil, one is a bandwagon of fans who hid for years and suddenly reappeared. I for one respect loyalty not jumping on. ;)

Reaction Score

I'd take Gee right now but your guys should quit worrying about pitch counts (everyone should) and keep the momentum. Kids arms gonna go it's gonna go whenever, but most are stronger by continuing throwing and not resting.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Another good win yesterday. Playing with house money tonight after winning the first two games with Colon and Niese.

Mets also got rid of terrible Alex Torres and traded for Eric O'Flaherty who was recently one of the best lefty relievers in the game. Despite what ERA says this year, he looks like a definite upgrade over Torres. He struggled a lot in April but has been solid since. Hopefully Mets scouts saw something they liked and he's going to continue to return to form.

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
We've won five in a row and have Harvey, deGrom, and Syndergaard going the next three games. Life is good!

mets1090

Reaction Score
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/141143306/terry-collins-to-challenge-rafael-montero

Pretty frustrating that the doctors see nothing wrong and Montero has made no real progress towards coming back. I've never really been impressed by Montero anyway but they need a spot starter and a healthy Montero would be helpful.

And on another note, I hate to speculate (read: I love to speculate) but when something like this happens I worry that a player would rather stay on the DL, keep accumulating service time, and keep cashing a Major League paycheck. If he gets activated and optioned to AAA, he stops getting that big check and stops building up his service time.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
That was a terrible 9th innning, but at the end of the day, it's 6 wins in a row.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Thought for sure they were losing that game when Familia had to come in. No way he wasn't checked out going into that inning.

Meanwhile, O'Flaherty had like a .180 average against lefties coming into the game and proceeds to just get shelled by almost nothing but lefties. Small sample size obviously but perhaps he isn't an upgrade over Torres at all. Interesting to see how long before he gets the ball in a crucial situation besides maybe just facing one lefty.

Regardless of 9th inning drama, 6 wins in a row and 2 games up on that Nationals who have their own problems going on. Also just 1.5 back of the Giants and 1 back of the Cubs. They have a 4 game series with each other starting today. If they split and the Mets take 2 out of 3 from Tampa, that race is going to be awfully tight as well. Obviously all eyes are on the division but it would be nice if they also had a shot at the WC should the Nats get hot.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Thought for sure they were losing that game when Familia had to come in. No way he wasn't checked out going into that inning.

Meanwhile, O'Flaherty had like a .180 average against lefties coming into the game and proceeds to just get shelled by almost nothing but lefties. Small sample size obviously but perhaps he isn't an upgrade over Torres at all. Interesting to see how long before he gets the ball in a crucial situation besides maybe just facing one lefty.

Regardless of 9th inning drama, 6 wins in a row and 2 games up on that Nationals who have their own problems going on. Also just 1.5 back of the Giants and 1 back of the Cubs. They have a 4 game series with each other starting today. If they split and the Mets take 2 out of 3 from Tampa, that race is going to be awfully tight as well. Obviously all eyes are on the division but it would be nice if they also had a shot at the WC should the Nats get hot.

Obviously still scoreboard watching the Giants and Cubs, but our best chance for making the playoffs is definitely the division. Let's hope we expand on this lead so we have a little bit of a cushion for when the nats make a run (you know they will).

mets1090

Reaction Score
Obviously still scoreboard watching the Giants and Cubs, but our best chance for making the playoffs is definitely the division. Let's hope we expand on this lead so we have a little bit of a cushion for when the nats make a run (you know they will).
People keep saying you know they're going to make a run and for the most part I agree, but while you can say Werth has to heat up, you can also say Yunel Escobar needs to come back down to earth (his OPS is 100 to 150 points higher than it has been the last 3 years). Zimmerman will probably heat up too but he's an even bigger health risk than d'Arnaud so I'd say their projections are basically a wash. We can probably expect Desmond to heat up a little bit too but at the end of the day, would Werth and Desmond normalizing to better numbers really be more of an improvement than the Mets replacing guys like Mayberry and Muno with Cespedes, Johnson and Uribe? I honestly don't think so. Imagine what that lineup looks like if Bryce Harper stops hitting like Babe Ruth.

Gio Gonzalez is having a little bit of bad luck based on how his peripherals compare to his ERA but not so much that I'd expect him to suddenly be lights out and normalize. Fister's peripherals last season were only slightly better than his career numbers and his ERA dropped by over a run which is an indicator of a ton of good luck. Isn't it possible that last year was just a lucky year for him and this year has been closer to what should be expected (perhaps a little bit of bad luck in the other direction)? Strasburg is the only one I'd say should be expected to have his ERA normalize down but he's been hurt so who knows what's going to happen there.

I wouldn't say 100% but I think it's at least possible that people have been giving them a little too much credit. Not much mind you, but the predictions of 100 wins and them running away with the division may have just been off. No doubt they're a good team but maybe they're only a 92 win team playing a little below their ability as opposed to a 98 win team playing way below their ability. Just my 2 cents I guess but I think the division is basically a toss up at this point as opposed to "the Mets better get a big lead because the Nationals are going to explode soon."

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
People keep saying you know they're going to make a run and for the most part I agree, but while you can say Werth has to heat up, you can also say Yunel Escobar needs to come back down to earth (his OPS is 100 to 150 points higher than it has been the last 3 years). Zimmerman will probably heat up too but he's an even bigger health risk than d'Arnaud so I'd say their projections are basically a wash. We can probably expect Desmond to heat up a little bit too but at the end of the day, would Werth and Desmond normalizing to better numbers really be more of an improvement than the Mets replacing guys like Mayberry and Muno with Cespedes, Johnson and Uribe? I honestly don't think so. Imagine what that lineup looks like if Bryce Harper stops hitting like Babe Ruth.

Gio Gonzalez is having a little bit of bad luck based on how his peripherals compare to his ERA but not so much that I'd expect him to suddenly be lights out and normalize. Fister's peripherals last season were only slightly better than his career numbers and his ERA dropped by over a run which is an indicator of a ton of good luck. Isn't it possible that last year was just a lucky year for him and this year has been closer to what should be expected (perhaps a little bit of bad luck in the other direction)? Strasburg is the only one I'd say should be expected to have his ERA normalize down but he's been hurt so who knows what's going to happen there.

I wouldn't say 100% but I think it's at least possible that people have been giving them a little too much credit. Not much mind you, but the predictions of 100 wins and them running away with the division may have just been off. No doubt they're a good team but maybe they're only a 92 win team playing a little below their ability as opposed to a 98 win team playing way below their ability. Just my 2 cents I guess but I think the division is basically a toss up at this point as opposed to "the Mets better get a big lead because the Nationals are going to explode soon."

Good analysis. Expecting them to go on a run is just the pessimist (read: Mets fan) in me.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Good analysis. Expecting them to go on a run is just the pessimist (read: Mets fan) in me.
Oh I left that part out. It should have ended with this....

Having said that, as a Mets fan I naturally assume the Nationals are about to sweep their West Coast trip.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Werth looks disturbingly similar to Charles Manson.
dm_140813_mlb_news_jayson_werth_charged.jpg

manson1.jpg

mets1090

Reaction Score
Just heard on WFAN that Blevins slipped on a curb, fell, and fractured his arm again. Injury happened before they acquired O'Flaherty which makes sense. Granted Blevins has a career ERA of 3.53, but it would have been nice to get him back.

Reaction Score
I wast the Nats game with a friend and we had a conversation that went like this:

(apologies for any religious folks here....)

Him: Werth really looks like Jesus, huh?
Me: Yeah. That's tough. I mean, how do you strike out the Messiah?
Him: I don't know. It's gotta be tough gripping a bat with holes in your hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom