Tevin Mack (Committed to Texas) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Tevin Mack (Committed to Texas)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
There are 351 schools playing Division I basketball. The terms high-major and mid-major (and, presumptively, low-major) suggest a division into thirds. By that standard there are 117 high-major programs and surely Georgia, Clemson, and South Carolina are among them. As are UConn, Cincy, Memphis, Temple, SMU, and maybe Houston in the AAC.
High Major based on conference affiliation wouldn't include UConn in the AAC now would it guys?...we aren't up against Duke, UNC, Kansas and UK for Mack so my only point was that we stick out like a sore thumb in his final 5.

As we know the best school doesn't always win out in recruiting battles but I would much rather be in a top 5 surrounded by Clemson, South Carolina, VCU & Georgia than other real "high major" programs

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
High Major based on conference affiliation wouldn't include UConn in the AAC now would it guys?...we aren't up against Duke, UNC, Kansas and UK for Mack so my only point was that we stick out like a sore thumb in his final 5.

As we know the best school doesn't always win out in recruiting battles but I would much rather be in a top 5 surrounded by Clemson, South Carolina, VCU & Georgia than other real "high major" programs

It all depends on how much Mack is willing to compete for PT. My hope is that this kid is willing to earn his PT rather than going to a lesser "high major" program that will hand it to him. I think this kid, judging from his video is willing to work for PT, and I hope KO and the team embrace him on his OV. He will really compliment Enoch and Adams well.

Reaction Score
It all depends on how much Mack is willing to compete for PT. My hope is that this kid is willing to earn his PT rather than going to a lesser "high major" program that will hand it to him. I think this kid, judging from his video is willing to work for PT, and I hope KO and the team embrace him on his OV. He will really compliment Enoch and Adams well.

Outside of his freshman year, he's not going to need to do much competing.

Calhoun will be gone by then and Daniel Hamilton is going to be a 2 or 3 year player. He will either compete against one other guy or have the spot completely to himself.

Reaction Score
I think anyone else in the world has the same understanding of the term "high major."

Dmike

Reaction Score
Outside of his freshman year, he's not going to need to do much competing.

Calhoun will be gone by then and Daniel Hamilton is going to be a 2 or 3 year player. He will either compete against one other guy or have the spot completely to himself.

At the level KO recruits, freshman will not only compete with upperclassmen, but the upperclassmen will have to compete with the freshman. Any player that comes to UConn better be ready to compete if they want to get PT. The cream rises to the top. At other schools, Mack is less likely to get recruited over his position than the pipeline of talent KO is developing. Bottom line, if you come to UConn, its best not to rest on one's laurels as competition to be the guys KO trusts and wants to have on the floor.

Reaction Score

The American is generally considered a high-major conference in basketball. Probably the weakest of the high-majors, but when you look at who is getting the recruits and whatnot, we're very clearly grouped with the ACC, B1G, etc., and clearly distinguished from the A-10, CUSA, Sun Belt, etc.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree.

The A-10 and Fake Big East received far more respect than the AAC last year, and if the AAC were viewed as a high-major conference, there's a 0% chance SMU would have missed the tourney. Things can certainly change over time (although Louisville leaving poses a roadblock), but at the moment, the AAC is certainly viewed as a mid-major.

With that said, not all mid-majors are the same. If there were a top tier of mid-majors, the AAC would be in that group along with the A-10, FBE and MWC.

pj

Reaction Score
High-major conferences get multiple bids, generally 3+. Mid-major conferences get one or two. Gonzaga and St Mary's, for example.

The word that separates UConn, Duke, and UNC from South Carolina, Georgia, and VCU is "elite". We're an elite program.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree.

The A-10 and Fake Big East received far more respect than the AAC last year, and if the AAC were viewed as a high-major conference, there's a 0% chance SMU would have missed the tourney. Things can certainly change over time (although Louisville leaving poses a roadblock), but at the moment, the AAC is certainly viewed as a mid-major.

With that said, not all mid-majors are the same. If there were a top tier of mid-majors, the AAC would be in that group along with the A-10, FBE and MWC.
Luckly we have AAC football to prop up the conference

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
High-major conferences get multiple bids, generally 3+. Mid-major conferences get one or two. Gonzaga and St Mary's, for example.

The word that separates UConn, Duke, and UNC from South Carolina, Georgia, and VCU is "elite". We're an elite program.
Semantics...elite is a better word to use, but I think you got my drift

Reaction Score
Sorry, late to the party. 3, why do we need to make it through next week without him committing? The kid seems like a stud and from what I've read KO really likes him.

Reaction Score
Sorry, late to the party. 3, why do we need to make it through next week without him committing? The kid seems like a stud and from what I've read KO really likes him.

He is doing campus visits one after the other. Georgia and VCU coming up, then UConn and finally South Carolina. I think the assumption is that Georgia and VCU are bigger possibilities than South Carolina.

Reaction Score
Just from what I've been told before we offered he was relatively close to committing to either VCU, who he visits this weekend, or UGA. He's been to UGA multiple times so a decision was expected possibly this week. Now that UConn's in the picture we have to make it past this week without him committing.

Reaction Score
Just from what I've been told before we offered he was relatively close to committing to either VCU, who he visits this weekend, or UGA. He's been to UGA multiple times so a decision was expected possibly this week. Now that UConn's in the picture we have to make it past this week without him committing.

Unless his commitment is to UConn ;)

Reaction Score
Ahh, thank you for the explanation. I was under the assumption that you were implying we did not want him to commit to UConn within the next week. Like I said, the kid is an absolute stud and love his game/work ethic. Would love to see him in a UConn uniform.

Reaction Score
Mack vs clarke? My pick is clarke. I think he plays insane d and never slows down.

Jones I think is out of the picture. Think he is part of the uk hype with Briscoe

Reaction Score
Mack vs clarke? My pick is clarke. I think he plays insane d and never slows down.

Jones I think is out of the picture. Think he is part of the uk hype with Briscoe

they just had an inhome with Jones earlier this month and his pops said UConn would definitely be an official visit(probably pending if UConn gets a wing before he starts taking them), how is he out the picture? It seems like Jones is down the list in UK's pecking order for wings, and they do already have Matthews signed.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Jones is definitely still our main wing target, his desire to sign late may make things difficult for us as Mack and Clarke seem to be looking to commit earlier. It will be interesting to see if we are able to secure Clarke or Mack soon and how that affects Jones.

Let's say one of those guys gives us a verbal then Jones would only remain an option if we miss out on Stone. We aren't really targeting any other bigs other than Stone at this point so then KO can opt to roll with Enoch as our only big man recruit and add more wings/guards with a combo of 2 of the following: Briscoe, Clarke, Mack, Jones & Newman

Reaction Score
they just had an inhome with Jones earlier this month and his pops said UConn would definitely be an official visit(probably pending if UConn gets a wing before he starts taking them), how is he out the picture? It seems like Jones is down the list in UK's pecking order for wings, and they do already have Matthews signed.

Just saying what I heard. The talk is his camp is begging for uk. But this is the joy of recruiting. Change s day by day and is very fluid

Reaction Score
Just saying what I heard. The talk is his camp is begging for uk. But this is the joy of recruiting. Change s day by day and is very fluid

If Kentucky signs Jaylen Brown I don't see Derrick Jones going there

Dmike

Reaction Score

Isn't KY also making a big push for Brandon Ingram? jones was talking about doing OVs over the winter. I guess we won't know until he either schedules something then or doesn't come see us over the winter. His dad seemed so high on KO. Hard to believe that we're out of the picture at this point.

Reaction Score
Mack has visited UGA 6 times already and his brother played for coach Fox at Nevada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom