Tenn post game thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Tenn post game thread

Reaction Score
My biggest fear watching the game is that Joly is auditioning for another team. He is very good and the announcers complimented his play as well. Hopefully UConn can retain him next season.

As for the game, any honest assessment of the game would predict a UConn loss like the one that we witnessed. As others have said their speed was too much. I believe it was Tennessee's third TD where the WR caught the ball and UConn defenders had no chance to catch him. And the three TOs that turned into TDs sealed UConn's fate.

Anybody calling for the end of the football program based on this game is focusing on the wrong game.
Disagree somewhat. There is losing by a substantial margin and losing badly. Yesterday's performance was worthy of a losing outcome against Trinity or Wesylan.
It was that abysmal.

Reaction Score
Does there really need to be a post game thread this week or next? The UMass and SHU games are the only ones that matter now. Just give us the injury report for this week and next.

Reaction Score
Stadium and Pre Game events were outstanding in Knoxville. Over 900 UConn fans in my section. Support was outstanding during first half. The early 2nd half debacle ruined the day for all of us. The bottom line is we lack the speed of Tennessee and speed kills! Also our QB has accuracy and escapability issues. After the game we all gathered at Calhouns and the Tennessee fans kept asking about Joly. He will be coveted in the portal should he leave. NIL will be key as well as having a QB that can get him the ball in stride. The bummer is that many of our players with NFL aspirations wanted to show up against an SEC behemoth. None but Joly did.
Great that Marinelli found him. Think he was heading to FCS.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
I'd have sent all the starters, off & def, to locker room and not let them come back on the field. They were an embarrassment to the university and the state.
This seems harsh. I don't think the players are purposely trying to play bad, but there doesn't appear to be sustained week after week improvement. What the hell are they working on in practices if not rectifying the mistakes that occurred in the prior game(s)? I'd like to believe the team is better than their record suggests.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Thank god I was on a plane to Mexico and couldn't get the game on streaming.

But it is what it is.

Let's go to JMU and try and get an upset like we did to Liberty last year!
I'm in the exact same boat, minus being on a plane to Mexico . This game was exactly as expected and anyone who thought it was anything but a big pay game was fooling themselves after the season we've had.

I also would like to see a repeat Liberty style upset vs JMU next week. It just feels like the same situation. Let's bring it. (Let me have this feeling and don't ruin it anyone!)

Reaction Score
This seems harsh. I don't think the players are purposely trying to play bad, but there doesn't appear to be sustained week after week improvement. What the hell are they working on in practices if not rectifying the mistakes that occurred in the prior game(s)? I'd like to believe the team is better than their record suggests.
What are they working on in practices? Not pass blocking. Not eliminating illegal procedure at the most key of moments. Not an effective passing game. Not tackling - definitely not tackling. Not pressuring the QB. I guess the punter has had a good season. If this team is better than their record reflects, it is negated by being such a poorly coached ball club.

Reaction Score
Great that Marinelli found him. Think he was heading to FCS.
And that's the problem - "he was heading to FCS". UConn needs to be getting their share of players being recruited by FBS programs.

That aside Joly has played well this season. He is legitimate FBS.

Reaction Score
They didn't "beat us up"?
So 59-3 is not a "beating"?
I guess the 1.2 or .3 or .4 million payout for the blowout at the hands of Tennessee was worth the embarrassment? Going on a road trip to Knoxville to watch the slaughter was entertaining?
When are the rest of you going to come to the conclusion that the football program is nothing more than pouring money down a black hole, never to see any positive effect. It's OVAH, STICK A FORK IN THEM, and let's move on to basketball
And yet you continue to find your way over to the football forum, where people are interested in…. UConn Football.

Reaction Score
There are many FBS teams that would be destroyed by the Vols. Looking for positives:
  • Roberson was protected reasonably well. You have a short memory if you don't recall the "jail breaks" on every pass play that recent QBs had to deal with.
  • The Line did ok on straight ahead blocking.
  • Both lines competed well and never gave up. They were chippy and stood up to the Vols.
  • Edwards ran hard
  • Joly played really well
  • Roberson's first half was great
  • The kickers performed well
They played hard against elite speed and atheism. There are only a handful of teams that are that athletic. I played at a lower level. We played against a guy who the Cowboys brought into camp as a RB. I would play my reads, get in position and he would just blow by me. It wasn't that I didn't try or wasn't coached. He was just better. It happens.

Reaction Score
There are many FBS teams that would be destroyed by the Vols. Looking for positives:
  • Roberson was protected reasonably well. You have a short memory if you don't recall the "jail breaks" on every pass play that recent QBs had to deal with.
  • Both lines competed well and never gave up. They were chippy and stood up to the Vols.
  • Edwards ran hard
They played hard against elite speed and atheism. There are only a handful of teams that are that athletic. I played at a lower level. We played against a guy who the Cowboys brought into camp as a RB. I would play my reads, get in position and he would just blow by me. It wasn't that I didn't try or wasn't coached. He was just better. It happens.
Agree. I think we all wanted a better showing. this was a talent gap, not coaching. So tired of hearing complaints.
Tenn had so many different ways to beat us. The margin of error on our side was slim.

I hope this game plays dividends against JMU. Another good team, but maybe a better matchup for UConn talent wise.

Finishing with a couple wins would go a long way in the offseason.

Finish Strong!

Reaction Score
  • Edwards ran hard
Except, better athlete or not, STOP the arm tacking. And when have a shot at them, try to blow them up. Biggest problem is: UConn hasn't "punched above their weight class", they've consistently punched below. I was at Saturday's game, it was an embarrassment. I've watch the game highlights a few times since, and it was worse. Not sure they could beat Trinity or Wesylan.

Reaction Score
It's very easy to be friendly when your team is up 50. Let's see how nice they would be to you on the way out if UConn had won.
A lot of my interactions were before the game as well. It’s very different down there. We got killed by Michigan and they had some real balloon knot fans.

Edit: is that seriously the replacement for the word I used? That’s hilarious.

Reaction Score
It was a slaughter there’s no denying that, we know the state of the program don’t need to constantly rehash it in a postgame thread.

Keep on seeing new user names saying to burn down the program in a postgame thread, it’s become border line trolling, it’s not even borderline trolling anymore it’s blatent trolling.
NO, it's poster's who have watched years of abject FAILURE, with no improvement. No it's NOT "borderline", or blatant trolling. It's reality setting in. It's a program that never had a history, other than a finally beating Yale, after decades of failure. It's a program that was part of a New England conference, that no one would ever mistake for the Big-10, Big-8, SEC, SWC, or Pac-8. UCONN is a relative newcomer to "Big-Time" college football, and is so far behind the present program's, that they may never approach any sort of parity with the other programs today. The truth hurts. Get used to it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom