Tenn post game thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tenn post game thread

Reaction Score
I watched every second. The didn't beat us up. That were just faster than us everywhere that mattered.

One thing does bother me. We would have Cam Ross, one on one, with press coverage and a single high safety in the middle of the field and never took a shot. There was time for Roberson to take a shot. Or just take a seven step drop and throw it as far as he could. But we never do it. we never take a shot. I don't get it.
They didn't "beat us up"?
So 59-3 is not a "beating"?
I guess the 1.2 or .3 or .4 million payout for the blowout at the hands of Tennessee was worth the embarrassment? Going on a road trip to Knoxville to watch the slaughter was entertaining?
When are the rest of you going to come to the conclusion that the football program is nothing more than pouring money down a black hole, never to see any positive effect. It's OVAH, STICK A FORK IN THEM, and let's move on to basketball

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Can we at least buy some players now? Does anyone know the going rates for these kids? $1.8M could be like $60K to 30 different players, is that enough to buy us some more competitive talent?
This merely helps cover what we paid FIU and USU come in and kick our butts

Reaction Score
I guess the 1.2 or .3 or .4 million payout for the blowout at the hands of Tennessee was worth the embarrassment? Going on a road trip to Knoxville to watch the slaughter was entertaining?
When are the rest of you going to come to the conclusion that the football program is nothing more than pouring money down a black hole, never to see any positive effect. It's OVAH, STICK A FORK IN THEM, and let's move on to basketball
They hung a similar or greater number on six opponents last year and you can't recall a single one of them.

Reaction Score
It was a slaughter there’s no denying that, we know the state of the program don’t need to constantly rehash it in a postgame thread.

Keep on seeing new user names saying to burn down the program in a postgame thread, it’s become border line trolling, it’s not even borderline trolling anymore it’s blatent trolling.

Reaction Score
What struck me from watching this game was the difference in tackling technique between our defensive players and Tennessee’s defensive players. I’m sure Mora noticed that Tennessee’s defensive players were extremely well coached compared to his defensive players. This was especially noticeable in open field tackling, and was the reason why Cam and Victor weren’t able to wiggle free like we see sometimes. I don’t know who the defensive coaches are for Tennessee, but kudos to them. UConn definitely needs to get a DC and OC who can not only call the right plays but can also inspire his guys.

Reaction Score
I'm not as down as most. Despite the absolute pasting, there's still something to work with here. Two bad breakdowns by secondary led to 2 very long TDs. 2 INTs and a fumble returned for 21. Things that can mostly be cleaned up vs a non-P5 opponent. TR had 200+ in the air vs a ranked P5. Receivers got open more than earlier in year. Even though this was a total shellacking, I feel I"ve seen worse from this team.

If it can be cleaned up, why have we seen this breakdown so many times over the last 10 years?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If it can be cleaned up, why have we seen this breakdown so many times over the last 10 years?
Has Mora been recruiting and coaching here for the past 10 years?

Reaction Score

No. They didn't "beat us up" physically. They ran by us. We also gifted them numerous scores with TOs and defensive blunders.

Roberson was sacked once, same as UT's QB. This game was decided by speed not physicality. It didn't make it enjoyable to watch but if you did watch, speed accounted for the scoring margin.

Reaction Score
Has Mora been recruiting and coaching here for the past 10 years?
In fairness, we don’t know what his players look like yet. But, he certainly hasn’t managed to instill any discipline given the enormous number mistakes and self inflicted wounds committed week over week. Honestly, Mora seems like a great guy but I don’t think he has the leadership wherewithal to impose accountability and consequences when it hurts. Sometimes you need to fire coaches, bench players and bite the bullet to get out a pattern of failure.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Even though UConn gets a big payday for going to Knoxville - you can't make up for the bad publicity of getting destroyed by a top 25 team . It just reinforces the image that UConn is exclusively a BB school
Also- how does this game build confidence with current and future players?
Is it really worse than playing a game against a G5 squad in a game that no one cares about? It is a stark reminder of how far back we are from a quality P2 opponents. Maybe that's a good thing. Sometimes the medicine tastes bad.

Reaction Score
BC ran a red zone play we blitzed on and had a wideopen receiver walk in last week. A LB with good instincts may have seen what was going to happen and covered the back versus blitzing. Our secondary totally failed in the long TD pass that was the walk in yesterday. No communication. The long TD on the second play resembled the long TD early vs Georgia State except it was the RB vs the QB for G State. We have defensive issues bigtime. That said watching USC play Washington and realizing that a school with the resources USC has, also has a real issue on the defensive side if the ball helps put things in perspective. We did not do well enough in the portal to have a winning season this year. BC got their starting QB from UCF and also added O-line starters. We needed LBs and did not get them. We need RB's for next year as well as LBs, pass rushers and secondary help. To get any wins the rest of this season the offense has to get better and put up points. Jame Madison looked real solid yesterday.

Reaction Score
I’d take a $2M paycheck to get beat by Tennessee every year. Neyland was unbelievably cool. I really wish New England college football programs had an atmosphere even 50% of what it was like down there. The SEC really is just an entirely different animal. I mean they had 100k people show up for 1-7 UConn. And the stadium was still full until there were about 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter. I’d love to go back there for a game against Bama or Georgia.

As for this game itself, Joly is really really good. He needs to get a huge NIL bag this offseason…hopefully from us.

Reaction Score
LSU beat Army 62-0. Penn St beat UMas 63-0. So what exactly did you think was going to happen in Knoxville? College football to people in the northeast is what college hockey is to people in the deep south. If James Madison-Tulane - Air Force can make it to the top 25, there has to be hope for UC. Schedule needs to be G5-IVY-low level P5 -MAC for a while. Not sure the Northeast demographics have the desire to support big time football.

Reaction Score
I just wanted to add one thing…

Despite being an absolute alien in my area, as I didn’t see a single UConn fan around me, their fans were chatting me up about basketball, both men’s and women’s.

It’s a great stadium, great location and great fan base.

Having been to our games at Notre Dame and at Michigan, Tennessee is just a different level for me. To be expected with the SEC, but it was great to experience.

Hell, they even allowed me to cut in the drink line. I couldn’t believe the size of it, so I had asked if I was looking at the correct line, so jokingly said “I need it more than you guys” and they literally let me jump to the front.

Like I said, I’ll always root for them as long as they aren’t facing us. I cannot imagine what the Georgia game will be like in Knoxville.

Go Vols. Truly appreciate the hospitality. I didn’t have a single person say anything negative to me at all, despite being in UConn gear.
It's very easy to be friendly when your team is up 50. Let's see how nice they would be to you on the way out if UConn had won.

Reaction Score
None of this REALLY matters, but my biggest gripe is how they quit in the second half.

Jackson Mitchell just watching their 8th string TE shuffle past him for a TD pass was embarrassing.

Not sure why Mora didn’t at least let some young guys in the game who might give A F and provide effort
I'd have sent all the starters, off & def, to locker room and not let them come back on the field. They were an embarrassment to the university and the state.

Reaction Score
LSU beat Army 62-0. Penn St beat UMas 63-0. So what exactly did you think was going to happen in Knoxville? College football to people in the northeast is what college hockey is to people in the deep south. If James Madison-Tulane - Air Force can make it to the top 25, there has to be hope for UC. Schedule needs to be G5-IVY-low level P5 -MAC for a while. Not sure the Northeast demographics have the desire to support big time football.
I expect northeast programs to step up, join the rest of the football playing country, and compete.

Reaction Score
In fairness, we don’t know what his players look like yet. But, he certainly hasn’t managed to instill any discipline given the enormous number mistakes and self inflicted wounds committed week over week. Honestly, Mora seems like a great guy but I don’t think he has the leadership wherewithal to impose accountability and consequences when it hurts. Sometimes you need to fire coaches, bench players and bite the bullet to get out a pattern of failure.
You literally called him a miracle worker last year and advocated him as COY after beating Liberty..

Reaction Score
It was a slaughter there’s no denying that, we know the state of the program don’t need to constantly rehash it in a postgame thread.

Keep on seeing new user names saying to burn down the program in a postgame thread, it’s become border line trolling, it’s not even borderline trolling anymore it’s blatent trolling.
From about 3-5 years ago. Then the Basketball onlys until hoop season starts.

Reaction Score
I’d take a $2M paycheck to get beat by Tennessee every year. Neyland was unbelievably cool. I really wish New England college football programs had an atmosphere even 50% of what it was like down there. The SEC really is just an entirely different animal. I mean they had 100k people show up for 1-7 UConn. And the stadium was still full until there were about 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter. I’d love to go back there for a game against Bama or Georgia.

As for this game itself, Joly is really really good. He needs to get a huge NIL bag this offseason…hopefully from us.
My biggest fear watching the game is that Joly is auditioning for another team. He is very good and the announcers complimented his play as well. Hopefully UConn can retain him next season.

As for the game, any honest assessment of the game would predict a UConn loss like the one that we witnessed. As others have said their speed was too much. I believe it was Tennessee's third TD where the WR caught the ball and UConn defenders had no chance to catch him. And the three TOs that turned into TDs sealed UConn's fate.

Anybody calling for the end of the football program based on this game is focusing on the wrong game.

Reaction Score
You literally called him a miracle worker last year and advocated him as COY after beating Liberty..
Larger sample set reveals more information, and remember we finished off with whimper.

Reaction Score
Stadium and Pre Game events were outstanding in Knoxville. Over 900 UConn fans in my section. Support was outstanding during first half. The early 2nd half debacle ruined the day for all of us. The bottom line is we lack the speed of Tennessee and speed kills! Also our QB has accuracy and escapability issues. After the game we all gathered at Calhouns and the Tennessee fans kept asking about Joly. He will be coveted in the portal should he leave. NIL will be key as well as having a QB that can get him the ball in stride. The bummer is that many of our players with NFL aspirations wanted to show up against an SEC behemoth. None but Joly did.

Reaction Score
Mora can have a reboot by fixing a few things. First get pass rushers. The Tenn QB was able to read a full chapter in a book before he had to throw. Maybe add a few blitzes into the mix. Second, kick the arses of the #%@#-ing OL who has killed so many short yardage downs with their stupid jumping offsides. And, please STOP with the, oh so, predictable off tackle right, off tackle left on first down. Don't Mora and his OC get tired of 2nd and nines or 2nd and eleven or 2nd and 14's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom