Tenn post game thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tenn post game thread

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
No offense but kind of a stupid post. Mora said himself that we were not getting enough NIL money to get the players we need. His Staff is ok but the talent is not there. I can not see him staying without a much bigger commitment from Donors. Also he said that we are getting killed in recruiting not being in a conference but no hope for us getting into a P4 so it doesn't look promising.
No more stupid than your response- you just reiterated what I said.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
He has to build an organization that has national reach
Football coaching requires a team of the best people you can afford not just a head and today unfortunately requires money to both build that team and secure players .
A 5 year plan to raise a minimum of $5,000,000 year earmarked specifically for that will get us in the game .
Football isn’t a short term money cow . It’s an investment . Trying to treat it otherwise is a recipe for our current situation.
Don't disagree with anything you have stated. Hope Mora is the guy but he's been out of the game for some years and the landscape is changing at an alarming pace.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I watched the first half and listened to most of the second. I felt we started out looking competent on offense, and indeed we dominated in ball possession today but we could never cash in. Not even just a couple of times, save for a measly field goal. Clearly we were able to move the ball down the field but for whatever reasons we were just unable to get it into the end zone.

Defensively, there were some ugly lapses like the guy who was wide open by 20 yards who caught the ball and slowly jogged in to the end zone. Otherwise, Tennessee was just much too fast for us to keep up with, both with game tempo and with their run game. Too many explosive plays. We've taken pretty good care of the football this season, but certainly not today. The Volunteers capitalized on every turnover and mistake we made and operated with high efficiency as evidenced by the number of points they scored in proportion to how little they had the ball, and the pittance of points we managed.

Overall, it seemed like we put in our typical full effort (at least in the first half) but by comments I've read here it seems our guys were likely feeling beaten down and demoralized in the second half, and threw in the towel. That's sad to see, but I can only imagine playing in front of that huge crowd and just taking blow after blow and not being able to respond.

A reporter asked Heupel about the handshake with Mora and he just kind of shrugged his shoulders and said he didn't know happened if anything but clearly Mora was not happy. I don't know if he felt Heupel ran up the score or was just so disappointed with the results, or if Heupel did something during the game he didn't like, but it looked like a very brief, and very chilly exchange.

Reaction Score
The offense showed vague competency at times. That's about the best thing I can say.

Our defense, on the other hand, is an absolute mess. JM needs to hand over the reins to a DC he can trust.
Absolutely correct. Even though I still believe that Mora is a competent coach but he is fooling himself that he can be the field general and the OC at the same time. He is hurting the team and very likely lost respect of the locker room before the season started.

Reaction Score
We have talent, difference between this year and last year is for one you downgraded your wr/linebacker corp with fcs talent, seriously play the kids you recruited like Drawdy. Two you don’t give the qb who took you to 6 wins to start at qb, and or start with Roberson. Three you play favoritism towards your OC by letting him play his qb from Maine. That’s enough to show the kids you don’t trust them.
That is why I said Mora lost the locker room before the season started.

Reaction Score
Program has once again devolved to utter crap. 25 years of season tickets later Im thoroughly disgusted with how inept this program is. It takes a special effort to be consistently terrible.

Reaction Score
Even though UConn gets a big payday for going to Knoxville - you can't make up for the bad publicity of getting destroyed by a top 25 team . It just reinforces the image that UConn is exclusively a BB school
Also- how does this game build confidence with current and future players?
The payoff is that playing this talent gets you better prepared for lesser talent.
I don’t mind these games. It’s just that we’re in a rebuilding ‘year’.
Had we played them 2 seasons ago, totally different outcome.

Reaction Score
I watched the first half and listened to most of the second. I felt we started out looking competent on offense, and indeed we dominated in ball possession today but we could never cash in. Not even just a couple of times, save for a measly field goal. Clearly we were able to move the ball down the field but for whatever reasons we were just unable to get it into the end zone.

Defensively, there were some ugly lapses like the guy who was wide open by 20 yards who caught the ball and slowly jogged in to the end zone. Otherwise, Tennessee was just much too fast for us to keep up with, both with game tempo and with their run game. Too many explosive plays. We've taken pretty good care of the football this season, but certainly not today. The Volunteers capitalized on every turnover and mistake we made and operated with high efficiency as evidenced by the number of points they scored in proportion to how little they had the ball, and the pittance of points we managed.

Overall, it seemed like we put in our typical full effort (at least in the first half) but by comments I've read here it seems our guys were likely feeling beaten down and demoralized in the second half, and threw in the towel. That's sad to see, but I can only imagine playing in front of that huge crowd and just taking blow after blow and not being able to respond.

A reporter asked Heupel about the handshake with Mora and he just kind of shrugged his shoulders and said he didn't know happened if anything but clearly Mora was not happy. I don't know if he felt Heupel ran up the score or was just so disappointed with the results, or if Heupel did something during the game he didn't like, but it looked like a very brief, and very chilly exchange.
He said, ‘they’ve got a good team. They fought hard and lost a close game’. Little douchey. But, is what it is.
TN is our bee-yatch in other sports.

Reaction Score
The payoff is that playing this talent gets you better prepared for lesser talent.
I don’t mind these games. It’s just that we’re in a rebuilding ‘year’.
Had we played them 2 seasons ago, totally different outcome.
We are the lesser talent this year.

Reaction Score
That's not what he said and nothing he said is douchey.
My mistake, he said ‘lost a—l close game’…
He probably meant to say ‘close games’ but clearly sounded like ‘close game’.
Not douchey.

Reaction Score
Even though UConn gets a big payday for going to Knoxville - you can't make up for the bad publicity of getting destroyed by a top 25 team . It just reinforces the image that UConn is exclusively a BB school
Also- how does this game build confidence with current and future players?
People outside of UConn are going to look at their record more than score of 1 game. What was the msu Michigan game?

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
People outside of UConn are going to look at their record more than score of 1 game. What was the msu Michigan game?
The difference is MSU has a history and is already a member of the club.

Reaction Score
At least they weren't shut out.
I knew the final score so I only watched until they scored. They sure didn’t look like they were going to get beat that badly. They shot themselves in the foot before the FG. I could bear to watch the rest.

Reaction Score
I remember Bobby Bowden desctibing the time he confronted a coach at the handshake about running up the score....he said the other coach said "Coach, holding the score down is your job, not mine".

He said that it stung but he took that to heart.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Probably the 1.8 million check
Can we at least buy some players now? Does anyone know the going rates for these kids? $1.8M could be like $60K to 30 different players, is that enough to buy us some more competitive talent?

Reaction Score
Can we at least buy some players now? Does anyone know the going rates for these kids? $1.8M could be like $60K to 30 different players, is that enough to buy us some more competitive talent?
That's an interesting question, mikedog10. I was thinking about this the other day when reading this football board and how everyone was stating this was a body bag game. I know the athletic dept runs in the red, but having said that, would 2-3 body bag games in a year enable UConn to pour that body bag money from those games into football NIL and get better players? Now that might be really difficult because scheduling games is tough enough as an independent, but these P4 conferences are bigger and they might schedule 1-2 less out of conference games.

Anyone else feel free to jump in here. This would be a great question to bring up to Pudge, RIP up there in heaven. He was well versed on these type of issues with athletic and school department budgets and such.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just wanted to add one thing…

Despite being an absolute alien in my area, as I didn’t see a single UConn fan around me, their fans were chatting me up about basketball, both men’s and women’s.

It’s a great stadium, great location and great fan base.

Having been to our games at Notre Dame and at Michigan, Tennessee is just a different level for me. To be expected with the SEC, but it was great to experience.

Hell, they even allowed me to cut in the drink line. I couldn’t believe the size of it, so I had asked if I was looking at the correct line, so jokingly said “I need it more than you guys” and they literally let me jump to the front.

Like I said, I’ll always root for them as long as they aren’t facing us. I cannot imagine what the Georgia game will be like in Knoxville.

Go Vols. Truly appreciate the hospitality. I didn’t have a single person say anything negative to me at all, despite being in UConn gear.

Reaction Score
Literally embarrassing in every way- explosive plays, turnovers, dumb mental errors, poor coaching decisions, lack of hustle, lack of execution, etc. AD Dave needs to make fixing this priority 1
or maybe ... it's the AD? ... What fall sports are doing well? WSOC is.
Go check out the Field Hockey record on the website. Our CHAMPIONSHIP Field Hockey program!
This was Benedict's hire!

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom