Season Ticket Sales | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Season Ticket Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You are correct.
There are low cost options available as well. Not a bad seat in the house so those are quite the bargain.
But the product on the field... Ugh.
I was referring to some of the premier seat locations where my friends held multiple packages of 4-8 seats in a row.
Those get quite spendy quick with all of the AD donation add-ons.
Remember the game bundles they were selling just so someone can buy a Michigan ticket?
That was cute.
Too bad they don't have the same leverage this year to bundle around.

The B1G Bob Bucks scenario you suggest above reinforces my point that season ticket sales don't matter.
Put all of the academic standing and other sports success aside. UConn has that covered. This is football we are talking about.
It seems that the real value that UConn represents to the B1G, or any conference, is not my butt in a $20.00 aluminum bench space ticket promo, but my two eyeballs at home watching the game on TV.

The only way we will see the glory days of the past again will be an invite up and out of the AAC.
Butts will be in seats and eyeballs will be on TVs and all problems will be solved.
Until then, I'll cherry pick my games and you'll buy season tickets and we'll all enjoy our mediocrity together.

No one but you gets to decide what level of support you give to the UConn football program or the UConn athletic department generally. And I would not and am not doing so -- the combination last year of diminishing crowds and juice, the friggin weather and the play was unbearable.

But what you don't get to do is watch on TV and think the program needs that as much as you buying a ticket and getting your butt in the seat. That is just idiotic. And diminishes the real sacrifice that those who sat through hell last year made to do what they could.

Reaction Score
Go to the games or kiss the b1g goodbye. If you think you like Uconn basketball but you don't support football especially right now.. Then you don't like basketball enough. Buy tickets and give games you can't go to to people who can. It's like 150 bucks. And if you're thinking about it in the first place or used to go every year you can afford it

I agree with your premise, but I had 12 season tickets I split with friends since Day 1 of the Rent. Slowly people dropped off and friends were replaced by kids at the tailgate. Now, I have no one who wants to go and literally could not give my tickets away for free. And its not $150/ticket. It was $150+$75 parking pass + $175 donation. I cancelled my season tickets two years ago and now go to one or two games where we get groups of 20 tickets together and are allocated 5 parking passes. We are going to the Villanova game because we have friends who went to Villanova.

Reaction Score
No one but you gets to decide what level of support you give to the UConn football program or the UConn athletic department generally. And I would not and am not doing so -- the combination last year of diminishing crowds and juice, the friggin weather and the play was unbearable.

But what you don't get to do is watch on TV and think the program needs that as much as you buying a ticket and getting your butt in the seat. That is just idiotic. And diminishes the real sacrifice that those who sat through hell last year made to do what they could.

Equally idiotic is when fans say things like, "I'm not coming back until they join a new league." Because that helps.

If you get a chance to talk to anyone in the UConn administration, or anyone who reliably knows anyone in the administration, they'll tell you the same exact answer as to our conference dilemma: We need season ticket holders. We need fans at games, not at home. It's really that simple.

This isn't some hocus-pocus thing. We need to get our brand back, and you do that with stadiums filled with raucous fans.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Equally idiotic is when fans say things like, "I'm not coming back until they join a new league." Because that helps.

If you get a chance to talk to anyone in the UConn administration, or anyone who reliably knows anyone in the administration, they'll tell you the same exact answer as to our conference dilemma: We need season ticket holders. We need fans at games, not at home. It's really that simple.

This isn't some hocus-pocus thing. We need to get our brand back, and you do that with stadiums filled with raucous fans.
And you get stadiums filled with raucous fans when you can compete against teams you care about. Can't do much about that last part, but winning will help significantly. Expecting a filled stadium regardless of competitiveness is extremely wishful thinking.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And you get stadiums filled with raucous fans when you can compete against teams you care about. Can't do much about that last part, but winning will help significantly. Expecting a filled stadium regardless of competitiveness is extremely wishful thinking.

I think I'd define wishful thinking thustly:

I'm going to stay home because UConn is in the AAC. I'll be there the minute they are in the Big Ten.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I was hoping to do season tickets this year, but this year has been a little tough. I'm still absolutely planning on "renewing" my 3-pack of games, even if I can't find anyone to go with me. I'll be that weird dude sitting alone, trying to start cheers by yelling in the ears of unsuspecting 10-year-olds, and waving my arms like I need to be committed. Mostly because I need to be committed... :confused:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I was hoping to do season tickets this year, but this year has been a little tough. I'm still absolutely planning on "renewing" my 3-pack of games, even if I can't find anyone to go with me. I'll be that weird dude sitting alone, trying to start cheers by yelling in the ears of unsuspecting 10-year-olds, and waving my arms like I need to be committed. Mostly because I need to be committed... :confused:
Our tailgate is always open, overly confident Dan. Seats near us will probably be open, too.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Our tailgate is always open, overly confident Dan. Seats near us will probably be open, too.
I'm considering a pair of 3 packs this year too. Dan, shoot me a PM or twitter if you want to get seats together in case we both can't find suckers to pawn our seconds off on...

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
SNY or ESPN Ocho or whatever online stream the game is on is being shown on and is certainly measured probably more so than my butt on a bench. Advertisers get more bang for their buck for the one on one potential exposure to me at home than some sign ad or TV screen ad in the stadium.
Think about whatever thousands more of me listening to it on the radio or watching it on tv like I do for every game home or away.
Advertisers don't spend good money to reach no one.
There are more watching and listening then there are in the stadium paying whatever price level they can afford to be there.
Now try putting a good product on the field and getting quality opponents and watch how it gets better.
AAC sucks and we deserve better.
And I believe it's realized by our potential suitors based on sports success and pedigree what we are capable of.
So I'm not kissing anything goodbye by not rushing out to buy season tix. UConn is getting my support in other ways that are noted and measured which better fit my budget, schedule and expectations.

Reaction Score
SNY or ESPN Ocho or whatever online stream the game is on is being shown on and is certainly measured probably more so than my butt on a bench. Advertisers get more bang for their buck for the one on one potential exposure to me at home than some sign ad or TV screen ad in the stadium.
Think about whatever thousands more of me listening to it on the radio or watching it on tv like I do for every game home or away.
There are more watching and listening then there are in the stadium paying whatever price level they can afford to be there.
Now try putting a good product on the field and getting quality opponents and watch how it gets better.
And I believe it's realized by our potential suitors based on sports success and pedigree what we are capable of.
So I'm not kissing anything goodbye by not rushing out to buy season tix. UConn is getting my support in other ways that are noted and measured which better fit my budget, schedule and expectations.

How about we compromise? You should log into the Watch ESPN app on your computer, or turn on your TV and tune it to SNY, leave them on, and then get in the car and drive to The Rent.

If you can't recognize the value of having 40,000 people (vs. 20,000 people) in the stands at The Rent when TV cameras are there, no matter the opponent, then I don't know what to say.

To be clear, UConn crushes Louisville (and Syracuse, and Pitt, and BC) in all of the tangibles, and Rutgers in most. Yet these schools were chosen and we were not. Why?

Reaction Score
While I get your point, we actually don't deserve anything. We have to earn it. I know it's fashionable (and terribly true) to say the AAC sucks, but if we cant compete and win it, we may end up with precisely what we do deserve--and that's what would really suck.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

If you aren't a rating household then your viewing isn't being measured.

Since you don't realize that I'm guessing you aren't.

The conference suitors exist only in your head.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
If you aren't a rating household then your viewing isn't being measured. Since you don't realize that I'm guessing you aren't. The conference suitors exist only in your head.

You mean they don't just magically monitor what we watch and listen to?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
While I get your point, we actually don't deserve anything. We have to earn it. I know it's fashionable (and terribly true) to say the AAC sucks, but if we cant compete and win it, we may end up with precisely what we do deserve--and that's what would really suck.
Nostical- understand, but disagree. In the Big East, though they didn't get a ton of respect, we were at the highest levels of college football. We've since been demoted for a variety of reasons, and that isn't going to sit will no matter what. I don't think one bad hire means we deserved to be dropped from everything we worked for in moving to D1 - we DID earn it, and it was taken away from us.

Reaction Score
If you aren't a rating household then your viewing isn't being measured.

Since you don't realize that I'm guessing you aren't.

The conference suitors exist only in your head.

If you think ESPN, Comcast, and others aren't watching what everyone's doing, you might not realize what decade it is. It might not be "legit" in terms of Nielsen ratings, but I am 100% sure media companies can keep track of everything at this point.

Reaction Score
If you think ESPN, Comcast, and others aren't watching what everyone's doing, you might not realize what decade it is. It might not be "legit" in terms of Nielsen ratings, but I am 100% sure media companies can keep track of everything at this point.

I'm pretty sure that cable companies can capture what channels are being watched on all cable boxes at any given time.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Especially web traffic. The individual companies watch, that is getting them advertising clout.

Reaction Score
Irish Loop said:

You can't sell ads against it though.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that cable companies can capture what channels are being watched on all cable boxes at any given time.
That is a good measure of viewership/potential ratings for away games and what kind of support the team has away from home across the region. But I think having full home games at the Rent no matter the opponent, along with a substantial season ticket base, present much better optics.

I met 3 alums last night for a quick beer. All live within 20 miles of the Rent. All split BB season tickets. They all spoke at length of how they will not go to FB games. I reminded them that FB is a major sport and if they hate the BB opponents so much (lots of pining for Gtown, Cuse, Nova, Pitt and BC last night) they need to step up and support FB by grabbing free tickets when offered. Maybe even buy a 3 pack and show up.

Reaction Score
That is a good measure of viewership/potential ratings for away games and what kind of support the team has away from home across the region. But I think having full home games at the Rent no matter the opponent, along with a substantial season ticket base, present much better optics.

I met 3 alums last night for a quick beer. All live within 20 miles of the Rent. All split BB season tickets. They all spoke at length of how they will not go to FB games. I reminded them that FB is a major sport and if they hate the BB opponents so much (lots of pining for Gtown, Cuse, Nova, Pitt and BC last night) they need to step up and support FB by grabbing free tickets when offered. Maybe even buy a 3 pack and show up.

So they don't like football? Or they don't like drinking with their friends? Or they don't like fresh air?

There are legitimate (work, financial and family reasons) not to buy season tickets. But people that can afford to and have the time to go to hoops games that can't be bothered showing up to 1 or 2 football games a year? I call b/s.

Reaction Score
So they don't like football? Or they don't like drinking with their friends? Or they don't like fresh air?

There are legitimate (work, financial and family reasons) not to buy season tickets. But people that can afford to and have the time to go to hoops games that can't be bothered showing up to 1 or 2 football games a year? I call b/s.
Call bs all you want. We all graduated in the mid-80's. Even in 2010 and 2011, these guys went to maybe 1 game a year if they were given a free ticket and if the temperature was between 60 and 70 degrees and if it wasn't too sunny or too cloudy. They always had fun but none would make the commitment.

In the early Edsall years they all had some kid obligations, then it was college tuition, now its just that they feel FB has taken away what they loved most about Uconn BB. I don't think they even watch the FB games on TV. I know they don't watch them with me and they certainly have no knowledge of the players, only how bad the results have been the last few years. The comments on BD were actually pretty funny last night.

And I don't think they are they only alums that feel that way. FWIW, one guy has bought hockey season tickets mainly because that was the sport his kids participated in the most while growing up. But a FB 3 game plan, no way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom