Peace RANDY EDSALL | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Peace RANDY EDSALL

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
There is probably only one topic that completely unites all UConn fan. And that is that Hathaway was a complete disaster as an AD. I have never seen anyone on any UConn board defend what Hathaway did at UConn.

That is quite an accomplishment.

Reaction Score
I would proffer that wanting to get out had a lot more to do with Randy's utter lack of respect for Jeff Hathaway's "mickey mouse" approach than Randy's personal desire to get more for himself.
Would you work with Jeff Hathaway?

While Hathaway was an issue, I do not know of any other prominent UConn coach that was desperate to abandon ship. And that has nothing to do with the fact that Randy is in love with himself and has the worst record in NCAA history against ranked teams (not sure if that is a fact, but I am thinking it has to be considering he is something like 1-28 all-time).

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It seemed apparent that Edsall felt under-appreciated at UConn. But I was still a little surprised that he left. He and UConn in D1 were pretty much synonymous. It was his program and he was operating with a fairly long leash as far as how much losing it would take for him to be forced out. Anywhere else, he risked a much shorter rope. But he's crying all the way to his mansion.

Like a lot of people here, I thought that he had limitations as a coach and that we had reached his plateau. He got "lucky" early in a sense when Danny O showed up and that pretty much was the reason we became competitive much faster than anyone had a right to expect. After DO, he struggle to find major league QBs. The year of the Fiesta Bowl, we got into the bowl by virtue of a late last game field goal and the conference overall was not all that terrific. Obviously, his successor really set the program back, but I never felt he was the coach to really elevate the program and that he had come to believe in his own talents beyond what they really are, pretty solid but not special.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
While Hathaway was an issue, I do not know of any other prominent UConn coach that was desperate to abandon ship. And that has nothing to do with the fact that Randy is in love with himself and has the worst record in NCAA history against ranked teams (not sure if that is a fact, but I am thinking it has to be considering he is something like 1-28 all-time).
Fair enough -

I personally don't care about the ranked team W/L, but that's me.
BCS Bowl Games - RE 1 All other UConn Coaches 0

I still believe our backdoor conference title and appearance is the bar.

Reaction Score
Fair enough -

I personally don't care about the ranked team W/L, but that's me.
BCS Bowl Games - RE 1 All other UConn Coaches 0

I still believe our backdoor conference title and appearance is the bar.

It's odd to say that a conference winner underachieved, but I think the 2010 team clearly did in terms of its overall record. We handed a game to a putrid Rutgers team because Randy refused to pressure a true freshman QB making his first start, and got drilled by a mediocre Temple squad. That team should have been 10-2 with the talent it had.

Reaction Score
Let's just appreciate the monumental job he took on, willingly, when he was hired by Lew Perkins. Yes, Trailers were his office. The locker room was 1960ish. It was NOT a good FCS infrastructure; let alone the idea that we would soon play BC, B1G schools, Georgia Tech (at Memorial), Notre Dame, Oklahoma. You want the number one reason why we lagged in the CR sweeps? We were simply unprepared for the decade of the Aughts.

Edsall built a program from scratch. And, when you contrast that with USF, UCF, Temple, Schiano ... he did a darn good job. However, his fate is what many of us would have predicted. The Terp fan sees what we saw. He wasn't comfortably fit into taking higher level kids and playing at a far higher level. He did love his underdog under-the -radar mentality. I think Diaco is better frame of mind on taking a Program to a higher level; anyway, that's my story ... and hope.

He said trailers. Drink everybody.

Reaction Score
There is a difference with the other coaches. Many of the other UConn programs are blue bloods and already at the top of the pecking order.

Reaction Score
It's odd to say that a conference winner underachieved, but I think the 2010 team clearly did in terms of its overall record. We handed a game to a putrid Rutgers team because Randy refused to pressure a true freshman QB making his first start, and got drilled by a mediocre Temple squad. That team should have been 10-2 with the talent it had.

It also needed to recover 4 fumbles to beat WVU, and the USF and Pitt games could have gone either way. I thought we were what we were.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
It also needed to recover 4 fumbles to beat WVU, and the USF and Pitt games could have gone either way. I thought we were what we were.

All of those 'facts' will be lost overtime - First and Only UConn FB BCS Bowl Team.

Fumbles are part of the game and they won games that could have gone either way - this happens to championship teams all the time.

Reaction Score
All of those 'facts' will be lost overtime - First and Only UConn FB BCS Bowl Team.

Fumbles are part of the game and they won games that could have gone either way - this happens to championship teams all the time.

Ok? That really has nothing to do with my post, or the one I'm responding to.

Reaction Score
I'm a big Edsall supporter and hold no ill will towards him. I think he's a great coach who had some bad luck at Maryland, especially with the QB position.

This is an example of the saying "the grass isn't always greener on the other side". The separation of Edsall and UCONN football hurt both (although I'm sure Edsall's bank account is bigger than it would be if he stayed.) Edsall could have been a legend, like Bowden, Bryant, Paterno, or Snyder, who built a great program and were (and are) the face of the program. I hope Diaco considers this once he gets things turned around here.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Translation: "We don't want our Interim/possible future HC to get thumped 60-7, so we'll leave that task up to our OUTGOING coach."

Ohio State hasn't been "thumping" anyone this year, but maybe this is their week.

I'll add my name to the list of people that really appreciate Edsall's time at UConn. I loved going to games in the early days of the Rent knowing we were a competitive Big East team 4 years into our D1 experiment.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Let's just appreciate the monumental job he took on, willingly, when he was hired by Lew Perkins. Yes, Trailers were his office. The locker room was 1960ish. It was NOT a good FCS infrastructure; let alone the idea that we would soon play BC, B1G schools, Georgia Tech (at Memorial), Notre Dame, Oklahoma. You want the number one reason why we lagged in the CR sweeps? We were simply unprepared for the decade of the Aughts.

Edsall built a program from scratch. And, when you contrast that with USF, UCF, Temple, Schiano ... he did a darn good job. However, his fate is what many of us would have predicted. The Terp fan sees what we saw. He wasn't comfortably fit into taking higher level kids and playing at a far higher level. He did love his underdog under-the -radar mentality. I think Diaco is better frame of mind on taking a Program to a higher level; anyway, that's my story ... and hope.

He does not seem to fare well at all with today's pampered big-time recruit. The guy can absolutely spot talent, but he seems to really prefer coaching up 2-star guys with a chip on their shoulder. Worked well at UConn, but the big schools expect you to recruit and coach these "stars".

Reaction Score
After all that has transpired since his departure, is this board seriously still talking about RE? And Why??!?

Reaction Score
Ohio State hasn't been "thumping" anyone this year, but maybe this is their week.

I'll add my name to the list of people that really appreciate Edsall's time at UConn. I loved going to games in the early days of the Rent knowing we were a competitive Big East team 4 years into our D1 experiment.
I was MAJORLY bummed out with Edsall leaving and very disappointed in the way he left. That doesn't take away from my appreciation for the fact that he successfully led us to the next level, he did things the right way, and he handled the murder of Jazz as well as anyone could possibly expect. I will forever be grateful for what he did for the program. on a personal note-he and his staff were VERY generous with their time in helping me learn when I was a new coach.

Reaction Score

Interested in knowing what other jobs he turned down to come here way back then? He walked away from that USC offer? Penn State? He took this job because it was the best job offer he had. That should be the beginning and end of the story right there.

Reaction Score
I was MAJORLY bummed out with Edsall leaving and very disappointed in the way he left. That doesn't take away from my appreciation for the fact that he successfully led us to the next level, he did things the right way, and he handled the murder of Jazz as well as anyone could possibly expect. I will forever be grateful for what he did for the program. on a personal note-he and his staff were VERY generous with their time in helping me learn when I was a new coach.
Except that we are not really at the "next level." We are at the level of UMass, URI, Stony Brook, Buffalo. I'm not sure that's "next level" material. We got creamed by Western Michigan two years in a row. I think people are looking at things through very rose colored glasses. The Big East was a weak conference ready to be cannibalized, which it was. Yes we won it and went to the Fiesta. I think that particular feat was the straw that broke the camel's back for the Big East and the BCS. After that the powers that be clamped down on the process and said, "no more." So let's keep RE's so called accomplishments in perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom