Peace RANDY EDSALL | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Peace RANDY EDSALL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It was harsh, but still less harsh than Brian Kelly or Rich Rodriguez bailing before their team's BCS bowl game.

Very few things in college football enrage me more than a coach leaving his school before a bowl game. Especially a BCS/New Years 6 game.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
As someone stated earlier, the way he left the kids in the program is something more for those kids to hold a grudge on than us. I know of many who went out of their way to make it to the game when Maryland came to the Rent just to see RE.

I was not happy about the way he left but this is something any of us should be able to get over. If Hathaway hadn't made an abomination of a hire to replace him, we may be further along getting over it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Very few things in college football enrage me more than a coach leaving his school before a bowl game. Especially a BCS/New Years 6 game.
If only he left before game. The fact is, we had a Maryland man at the helm in the biggest game in program history. I was there, no one can tell me we got 100 % from our head coach that night.

Reaction Score
The fact he wanted to get away from Hathaway in no way forgives him for how he turned his back on his players.

He made Jordan Todman stand in the locker room, post bowl loss, and tell everyone that he was leaving the program. Within hours he was texting from a private jet that he was out of here as the players flew back to Connecticut without him. That is the definition of a two-faced dick.

Reaction Score
"For the most part, sources said, the current players like Edsall personally, but he lost their support with his program-wide rigidness. At times he's taken names off jerseys and banned baseball caps, 'do' rags, untrimmed facial hair and earrings in efforts to stifle selfish individualism. The team was particularly unhappy with his refusal to play more aggressively and his tendency to blame them for losses."

I don't have a problem with his discipline, but placing blame on his players for losses rather than absorbing the blame as a leader was a chronic flaw in Randy. While I wish him nothing but the best, it looks like the job he once called a dream while flying incognito from Phoenix to College Park morphed from a fiesta into a nightmare.

Reaction Score
"The team was particularly unhappy with his refusal to play more aggressively and his tendency to blame them for losses."

No kidding. LOL. After every win the first thing he would do is thank the coaches, a slick way of patting himself on the back.

Reaction Score
If only he left before game. The fact is, we had a Maryland man at the helm in the biggest game in program history. I was there, no one can tell me we got 100 % from our head coach that night.
You could tell that from the first series. I turned to my wife & the Chards & muttered that there was something off about the play calling. on their biggest stage ever, Randy refused to go for it in 4th & a foot near midfield with Todman in the backfield being lead by our soon to be NFL fullback.

Reaction Score
He left us high and dry at a time when continuity might have helped move the program into another conference. But he didn't kill the program. The next hire killed the program and put our future as a D1 program in jeopardy. To be more specific, PP is a good man but his loyalty to GDL was the #1 program killer along with an inability to recruit and develop a competent OL. Some of his recruits are actually pretty darn good players but as a coach he was the wrong guy at the wrong time.

Randy had probably peaked here but his exit was his lowest moment and so was our response to it. We're recovering slowly with a HC who's learning the ropes and needs to be surrounded by experienced guys he can lean on. It seems crazy but I'd rather be us right now than Maryland. I think we're going to be OK.

Reaction Score
I'm sure I am going to get crucified here for this, but as the years have gone by I've become less bitter towards Edsall.

For starters the guy donated the $$$ needed to put the Jasper Howard Memorial over the top. That's a classy move. He didn't have to look back, but he did.

Secondly, the guy left us high and dry, but knowing what we now know about how poorly the University and Athletic Department were being run at the time and how badly they would botch realignment, can you really blame him?

It's not Edsall's fault we ended up with PP, it's Hathaways.

He left in the worst way a coach can leave and if I were one of his players I'd probably resent him for it.

But I really don't carry any animosity towards him anymore.

Well said. Edsall really did a lot for UConn football. I found it really hard to like him when he was here but the program really tanked with Pasqualoni and others. If Diaco can only back up what he talks about with some wins then we would have some hope.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You want to freak out? There is a better than insignificant chance that RE is a candidate to replace Disco if he leaves in the next couple years.

He'd be a better candidate than the random assistant we'd otherwise get. I think everyone would sign up for the 2007-2010 version of the huskies right now, even if a tougher schedule cost one or two wins per year.

Reaction Score
That's not crazy Jim. We're The UConn Huskies. I'd rather be us than anyone else.

For BB might be but FB, we are nowhere we need to be!!! I am not sure the FB program can survive another PP. If the program does not make money, the state and UConn might just jettison it.

Reaction Score
If the program does not make money, the state and UConn might just jettison it.
That will never happen. We have the capacity to build this program to great heights. And we will be just fine in conference realignment when all the dust settles.
But that's not the point, the point is I'd rather be backing this UConn Husky Football program than any other. It's got the most upside from every perspective: fan support, on-field success, stadium upgrades, recruiting, TV exposure, and P-5 conference value. We're on the road to glory. And it's just been repaved.

Reaction Score
Word outta Texas is that RE is gonna be PP's defensive assistant.

Reaction Score

We didn't get 100% from our receiving corps also. They dropped like 100 balls.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
You want to freak out? There is a better than insignificant chance that RE is a candidate to replace Disco if he leaves in the next couple years.

He'd be a better candidate than the random assistant we'd otherwise get. I think everyone would sign up for the 2007-2010 version of the huskies right now, even if a tougher schedule cost one or two wins per year.
I don't think so. RE is older and he is what his record says he is. When RE was hired by Sweet Lou he was younger and brought in as a program builder. Warde would look for another young assistant in the mold of Diaco, with a higher potential ceiling than RE.

Reaction Score
Or are we going to pull a Nostical and pretend we were the better team that day and only poor coaching stood between us and victory?

We had our chances. The 4th and 1 deep in OK territory when we handed off to Robbie Frye instead of a QB sneak by Frazer was a missed opportunity. So was the off-the-hands of Michael Smith pick 6 by OK.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

I am not sure what a "better than insignificant chance" is...but if it is anything other than no chance, I would be surprised. ADs aren't hiring RE types. They like youth...they like offense. RE is youth and offensively challenged. He would be a horrible hire for a program like UConn that needs energy. BD may be a defensive guy...but he is a crazy defensive guy who is entertaining in an interview. Randy's anti-media, anti-CT high school, anti-risk taking approach would be a very bad fit at this time at UConn.

Good coach....did a lot for UConn...but he needs to find another fanbase to frustrate.

Reaction Score
He made Jordan Todman stand in the locker room, post bowl loss, and tell everyone that he was leaving the program. Within hours he was texting from a private jet that he was out of here as the players flew back to Connecticut without him. That is the definition of a two-faced dick.

Still don't get why people say this. He had Todman do that as a reward, so the team could congratulate him for going to the NFL, so he could have that moment. And of course his teammates were happy for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom