Peace RANDY EDSALL | The Boneyard

Peace RANDY EDSALL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm surprised it's taken this long, to be honest. He'll likely end up as a DC at a P5 school or Head Coach on the G5 level.

Reaction Score
Yikes... "he's got a 22-33 record at Maryland, including an 0-11 mark against top-25 teams, with average losing margin of more than 23 points in those games"

Reaction Score
Yikes... "he's got a 22-33 record at Maryland, including an 0-11 mark against top-25 teams, with average losing margin of more than 23 points in those games"
yeah, he won one game against a ranked opponent at UConn (USF). To put that in perspective, so did P.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
He was having trouble getting cash for a practice facility.

That's interesting.

Attachments

• image-2616101350.jpg
    image-2616101350.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 67
Reaction Score
"Dream job" - well, so much for that. Must have driven the Terp fans nuts with the endless "gotta execute better" line.

Always liked Edsall when he was here, especially the way he handled the Jazz tragedy, although the way he left was harsh. Still, wishing him well wherever he goes from here.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
If there were true Karma, he'd be fired on the tarmac in Columbus and forced to find his own way home, while the team flew home without him.
Ha ha...I was thinking that, too. Seeing him watch the plane leave is priceless

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
He'll land somewhere. It wouldn't surprise me if his old boss (O'Leary, who claims he's retiring after this season and is pushing to move to AD) hires him to take over at UCF.

Agreed. He's abrasive but still a good coach. I think he will wind up at a G5 school head coaching job. Perhaps at Temple or Memphis replacement if one of their coaches leave this offseason.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
He'll land somewhere. It wouldn't surprise me if his old boss (O'Leary, who claims he's retiring after this season and is pushing to move to AD) hires him to take over at UCF.
I'd hate to see him land in the AAC, especially at our newly establish 'rival'. Those UConn-UCF games would certainly be some low-scoring/awesome-defense battles.

The only way I could really stomach Edsall in the AAC would be if UConn gets scooped up by a P5 conference. That would be hilariously ironic.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Now this would add intrigue to...The Conflict. :cool:

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'd hate to see him land in the AAC, especially at our newly establish 'rival'. Those UConn-UCF games would certainly be some low-scoring/awesome-defense battles.

The only way I could really stomach Edsall in the AAC would be if UConn gets scooped up by a P5 conference. That would be hilariously ironic.

CAN YOU IMAGINE THE RAMIFICATIONS FOR THE CONFLICT. MY GOD, DIACO IS A GENIUS. HE KNEW IT ALL ALONG

Reaction Score
He deserved to be fired. He replaced a 9-3 coach and never got the team to the level it achieved before him.

If he had those 7-6 records (2013, 2014) at UConn some Boneyarders would be putting him up for the HOF.

Reaction Score
My sense is that Edsall was brought into MD to clean up a mess in terms of grades and culture. I'm sure he did that. Unfortunately for him, he also needed to win games along the way and getting his ass kicked by a slew of G5 programs certainly didn't help. I think he was enormously shortsighted in going there and I think better options were potentially available down the road. Had he stayed with that '12 team with that defense he would have won a slew of games. My sense was that he was hell bent on getting away from Hathaway as soon as he could and that he left the way he did as a way of shoving it up Hathaway's.

He's a good coach imho, but he may never have another HC gig with a P5 program.

Reaction Score
I'm sure I am going to get crucified here for this, but as the years have gone by I've become less bitter towards Edsall.

For starters the guy donated the $$$ needed to put the Jasper Howard Memorial over the top. That's a classy move. He didn't have to look back, but he did.

Secondly, the guy left us high and dry, but knowing what we now know about how poorly the University and Athletic Department were being run at the time and how badly they would botch realignment, can you really blame him?

It's not Edsall's fault we ended up with PP, it's Hathaways.

He left in the worst way a coach can leave and if I were one of his players I'd probably resent him for it.

But I really don't carry any animosity towards him anymore.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My sense is that Edsall was brought into MD to clean up a mess in terms of grades and culture. [/QUOTE]

This was absolutely the case. Under Friedgen UM's football program let a lot of things slip by. The school knew a B1G invitation was very possible. They also believed they needed to show they could run a clean ship (considering Rutgers, they may have misread this criteria). Edsall was the solution.

My sense was that he was hell bent on getting away from Hathaway as soon as he could
Without question this was part of it.

and that he left the way he did as a way of shoving it up Hathaway's.
This may have been the case but believe it or not, Hathaway was one of the select few who was informed prior to the Fiesta Bowl.

Last edited:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'm skeptical an AD at a higher-end G5 trying to aim for P5 would hire Edsall given his record which indicates a clear ceiling. Maybe a Sun Belt, MAC type or upper tier FCS would be a better fit. What about Army... he might be the kind of coach to recruit the kind of kids they need there.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Not really. He did a lot of good for the program and UConn. His leaving was tacky but overall, he was a big plus.

I wasn't rooting for him at MD and don't really care that he failed.
He was a big plus in the first few years when WE WERE IN TRAILERS but not as much in the last few years. A lot of that was Hathaway's overall incompetence in (not) running the athletic department though.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For starters the guy donated the $$$ needed to put the Jasper Howard Memorial over the top. That's a classy move. He didn't have to look back, but he did...

That this leads your post is hilarious. You admit that he left UConn high and dry and in the worst way possible but you give him a pass because he chipped in some of his cookie-jar money. You're not alone. I would say that's money well spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom