Pascal Chukwu | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Pascal Chukwu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Regardless of where he ends up, stories like this always sadden me. For him to leave now suggests one thing: "his people" had their best interests in mind, not his.

Reaction Score
He won't play his first game at his new school until November of 2016. How is a high school game he played 2.5 years earlier relevant at all?

All 7'2'' kids are rough around the edges (if not downright terrible) in high school and it takes most of them a couple of years in college before they start to look like they have a clue at both ends of the floor. PC got him at the very beginning of a steep learning curve. We'd be getting him much further down the road.

If we don't want him, there will be about 340 other schools that would take him in a heartbeat.
It's not what we want, its what he wants. He showed little to no love at all towards UConn the first time around, what makes you so sure he wants to come here? These posts are hilarious in how disconnected some of them are to the reality of the process. To me, Ollie handled the Mack situation perfectly once he announced his decommitment. Paschal is no different. You make an exploratory call. The rest is on him. Gibbs is a perfect example of how the process works. To me, Paschal would certainly be a nice addition but he is clearly not a program changer. If he goes elsewhere, my optimism for Ollie's ability to recruit won't move an inch. Its more a great if we get him, who really cares if we don't.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Chukwu's host parents and coaching staff at Fairfield Prep played a huge role in his high school recruitment. They are what drove him to a small, private, and Catholic school. If Chukwu decides to make his own decisions, expect the polar opposite of Providence.

Reaction Score
Regardless of where he ends up, stories like this always sadden me. For him to leave now suggests one thing: "his people" had their best interests in mind, not his.

It happens sometimes. Even if it's your kid, that doesn't mean you always make the right choice for your kid. Parenting ain't a perfect science. Most people have their own problems, biases, bad days, etc. You might think you're doing right by your kid and later realize you're wrong. It sucks it didn't work out for the kid, but I wouldn't necessarily imply anything nefarious simply because it didn't work out.

Reaction Score
He won't play his first game at his new school until November of 2016. How is a high school game he played 2.5 years earlier relevant at all?

All 7'2'' kids are rough around the edges (if not downright terrible) in high school and it takes most of them a couple of years in college before they start to look like they have a clue at both ends of the floor. PC got him at the very beginning of a steep learning curve. We'd be getting him much further down the road.

If we don't want him, there will be about 340 other schools that would take him in a heartbeat.

He had a triple double in that game. 21 points 17 boards and 12 blocks. He was phenomenal in a heartbreaking loss. Games like that weren't a rare occurrence with him either.

I think all Letsgo is saying is that he's better developed than some people may think. Probably due in large part to his playing time last year

Reaction Score
It happens sometimes. Even if it's your kid, that doesn't mean you always make the right choice for your kid. Parenting ain't a perfect science. Most people have their own problems, biases, bad days, etc. You might think you're doing right by your kid and later realize you're wrong. It sucks it didn't work out for the kid, but I wouldn't necessarily imply anything nefarious simply because it didn't work out.
In life, I would tend to agree with what you said. But this is the business of college basketball. I remember well the noise that came out of PC and its fan base when he committed. For him to leave a year later, with a starting position and a ton of minutes all but assured, absolutely implies that his initial decision was never about his best interests but instead about someone else's.

Reaction Score
In life, I would tend to agree with what you said. But this is the business of college basketball. I remember well the noise that came out of PC and its fan base when he committed. For him to leave a year later, with a starting position and a ton of minutes all but assured, absolutely implies that his initial decision was never about his best interests but instead about someone else's.

Not entirely true. His host parents had an influence on him but he chose providence because providence chose him. The were all over him by the time he stepped on the high school court at TC. Cooley recruited him for 4+ years. Paschal and Cooley had a tremendous relationship.

That relationship likely deteriorated after Cooley failed to give him minutes this year, among possible other things.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Weirdly enough, there is a twitter out there with Gavin Edwards' sister just ripping apart UConn and Jim Calhoun specifically.
Of course it had to involve Kasongo!
image.jpg

Reaction Score
This would be nice to land him. Could play 1 year with Brimah and then 2 with Enoch.

This hybrid approach of recruiting could be very successful wth adding HS kids, transfers and post grads.

Reaction Score
Not entirely true. His host parents had an influence on him but he chose providence because providence chose him. The were all over him by the time he stepped on the high school court at TC. Cooley recruited him for 4+ years. Paschal and Cooley had a tremendous relationship.

That relationship likely deteriorated after Cooley failed to give him minutes this year, among possible other things.
Yep, with the focus on "among possible other things." Lets be real, Paschal wasn't going to get a ton of minutes at any high major last year.

Reaction Score
Here's one of his teammates referencing his [lack of] playing time:

It should be noted that Harris is also transferring out of PC.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Six pages and nary a Chewbacca reference? I'm disappointed. I'd love to land him if for no other reason than to see our fans dress up for the occasion.
chewbacca.png

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Six pages and nary a Chewbacca reference? I'm disappointed. I'd love to land him if for no other reason than to see our fans dress up for the occasion.
chewbacca.png
That would be incredible. I wanted him, but now we NEED him. Chewy would also be just a fantastic nickname too (if it isn't his already).

Really liking where your head is at.

Reaction Score
It's not what we want, its what he wants. He showed little to no love at all towards UConn the first time around, what makes you so sure he wants to come here? These posts are hilarious in how disconnected some of them are to the reality of the process. To me, Ollie handled the Mack situation perfectly once he announced his decommitment. Paschal is no different. You make an exploratory call. The rest is on him. Gibbs is a perfect example of how the process works. To me, Paschal would certainly be a nice addition but he is clearly not a program changer. If he goes elsewhere, my optimism for Ollie's ability to recruit won't move an inch. Its more a great if we get him, who really cares if we don't.

I have no idea if he wants to come to UConn or not. The point of my post was that we should want the kid regardless of what he looked like in high school.

Reaction Score
That would be incredible. I wanted him, but now we NEED him. Chewy would also be just a fantastic nickname too (if it isn't his already).

Really liking where your head is at.

If diversity was a issue at PC I don't expect him to embrace your idea of incredible.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Wow. Talk about too much PC--the other PC.

Yes, a beloved Star Wars character who is also tall and has a similar name and catchy nickname is an insult.

SMH.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
chewbacca.png
A foodie and a nerdie. Great combo!!!

Reaction Score
Wow. Talk about too much PC--the other PC.

Yes, a beloved Star Wars character who is also tall and has a similar name and catchy nickname is an insult.

SMH.

He's also a hairy animal that can't speak. Just saying, not every "beloved" character makes a good nickname.

Reaction Score
http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20150518/SPORTS/150519296

Chukwu responded to a text message Monday and while he resisted comment, he did write "just know I love Friar Town but I just want a change of scenery." Cooley was reached at the Big East’s meetings in Florida and said that when Chukwu came to him last week “it definitely caught us all off guard.”

“All I’ll say is he has to fit the school and the school has to fit him. He said that wasn’t happening,” Cooley said.

Filling Chukwu’s role will be next to impossible, at least in the 2015-16 season. The 20-year old owned great potential as a shot blocker and rebounder and owned excellent hands for a big man. That’s why he’ll be in great demand on the transfer wire over the next few weeks.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He's also a hairy animal that can't speak. Just saying, not every "beloved" character makes a good nickname.
Speaking is over rated. "Fuzzball" is adored by chicks. I'd bet lots of guys would score more with a Chewbacka costume and grunt sounds vs. talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom