OT : Turkey Sucks and you know it........ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT : Turkey Sucks and you know it........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Deep fried is the only way to go. 15lb bird done in 45 min, moist and tender.

Absolutely.

We did a deep fried bird at the Rent before the last game. Came out great. Nothing like turkey, fixins & IPA's at 10:30 AM.

I only wish there had been more skin.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Absolutely.

We did a deep fried bird at the Rent before the last game. Came out great. Nothing like turkey, fixins & IPA's at 10:30 AM.

I only wish there had been more skin.

tell the truth, how many of caught a nap during the game?

Reaction Score
This is nonsense. And while you're loading up some smarmy reply shooting down my love of turkey? Here's what I'll say.

When the bird comes out of the oven and is roasted to perfection, peel off delicious shards of crispy, greasy turkey skin, eat it....then tell me I'm wrong.

/dropsthemic

Reaction Score
I don't like turkey.

I also think it's dumb to tell people they are lying if they say they like something.

August_West

Reaction Score
This is nonsense. And while you're loading up some smarmy reply shooting down my love of turkey? Here's what I'll say.

When the bird comes out of the oven and is roasted to perfection, peel off delicious shards of crispy, greasy turkey skin, eat it....then tell me I'm wrong.

/dropsthemic

so you put a skinless bird on the table? Your company must love that. :)

Reaction Score
Turkey as a deli meat is slightly more tolerable. But even then 95% of it is garbage. For now I am speaking of the abomination the whole country up while cooking and throws on their Thanksgiving table.

Bold move assuming that your opinion is the deciding factor in a culture of people eating a form of meat. I like turkey, definitely in my top few deli meat options, and definitely a great dinner option specifically with the gravy and all the side dishes common to thanksgiving, but hey if you want to spit in the face of our forefathers... that's your choice

Reaction Score
I'm one of those people that likes piling the leftover turkey on good bread with mayo the next day but yes turkey pretty much sucks, actually the entire Thanksgiving meal pretty much sucks.

August_West

Reaction Score
I don't like turkey.

I also think it's dumb to tell people they are lying if they say they like something.

this is supposed be a lighthearted thread, more lampooning my irrational hatred of turkey than anybody's personal taste.

But I do advocate a Turkey-less holiday season for increased enjoyment.

Reaction Score
but hey if you want to spit in the face of our forefathers... that's your choice

This is funny, whether you're joking or not. I think our forefathers had it right, i.e. eating sh_t other than turkey for Thanksgiving.

August_West

Reaction Score
, but hey if you want to spit in the face of our forefathers... that's your choice

Our forefathers
1) Didnt have turkey at thanksgiving
2) Didnt allow women at the meal

I would assume your Thanksgiving includes both. So am I the one spitting?

Reaction Score
I smoke turkey a few times over the summer. I'll pick up a turkey breast if I see it in the store. I won't go with the frozen turkeys, so that's part of the issue.

I will admit to liking turkey gravy a lot more than I like turkey, but gravy makes most things better. I'm not breaking any new ground with that statement.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Get a fresh bird and don't over cook it, and you are a long way towards addressing flavor and dryness. Not saying that will convince you, but they make a difference in terms of enjoyment. Smoked turkey is also really good, but most things that come off the smoker are good...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The best part of Thanksgiving is definitely not the turkey. It's very tough to inject flavor or to keep the white meat from drying, but I can't imagine having such disdain for it either.

Sausage dressing is awesome (but only if there is no celery in it), garlic butter mashed potatoes, green beans & mushrooms, potato casserole, prosciutto wrapped feta & asparagus, apple pie, bottomless wine goblet, company, a nap, football, a walk, and a cigar...need I say more?

Turkey comes in a distant 13th followed by any thing that contains the aforementioned celery, with pumpkin pie bringing up the rear.

That said, a full-on turkey dinner is almost never practical without upwards of 28 other people to share. That is why they sell turkey legs, thighs, and breast separately. Ground turkey works just fine as a partial replacement for beef as well.

Reaction Score
so you put a skinless bird on the table? Your company must love that. :)

If you must know, we cook TWO birds. One is brined and then traditionally roasted, the other is wrapped in bacon and then smoked. There's plenty of crispy skin and smoky delicious bacon to go around before anything hits the table, my friend. You're just doing it wrong....

Reaction Score
I love turkey.

I love turkey sandwiches. I love turkey at Thanksgiving covered in gravy. I love turkey burgers and turkey sausage.

Repent, OP, and perhaps you will be forgiven for loving BOXED MACARONI AND CHEESE MORE THAN TURKEY.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Turkey is scrumptious. Brine it and buy a meat thermometer and it's impossible to over cook it and dry it out. Smoked, deep fried or roasted it's awesome. I buy turkey breasts on a regular basis and eat it year round. Those that don't like turkey are clearly members of ISIS and not true Americans.

Reaction Score
turkey doesn't suck, you know what sucks? you suck.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I love turkey.

I love turkey sandwiches. I love turkey at Thanksgiving covered in gravy. I love turkey burgers and turkey sausage.

Repent, OP, and perhaps you will be forgiven for loving BOXED MACARONI AND CHEESE MORE THAN TURKEY.
What if it had bits of cured pork belly and spicy Mexican peppers, accompanied by copious amounts of Bud Light?

August_West

Reaction Score
If you must know, we cook TWO birds. One is brined and then traditionally roasted, the other is wrapped in bacon and then smoked. There's plenty of crispy skin and smoky delicious bacon to go around before anything hits the table, my friend. You're just doing it wrong....
Thanks for the info. Im conflicted on that disclosure. On the one hand you have proven yourself to be a good host (as good as one who serves turkey can ever get in my book :) with the 2 bird deal and extra points obviously for the smoking with bacon. On the other hand I sat here hoping you might say "yeah, thats right, I eat the skin off that bird and THEN put it out." Because that would be Alpha as f. Im a fan of Alpha moves.

Reaction Score
Because we have a great season about to start, Im going to start this thread a little early this year as when this would ordinarily be (semi) on topic, we will already have some great hoops to talk about. I dont want to clog board then, so lets get it out of the way.

Nobody can really like Turkey, you are lying to yourselves over some kind of family/nostalgia thing. It quite possibly the worst food you can imagine eating, and much like Bluefish, I expect to hear 1000 "but you havent had it prepared the way my family does it"
1) Yes, I probably have
2) Its still terrible ( you can pour caviar over the bird, you are still eating caviar coated poop)

So as a public service, Im getting this out early. Start a new tradition. There is no reason to eat this vermin. Make some prime Rib. Have some Tofu Coconut Curry soup. Jeez, open a box of Kraft mac and cheese. All are way more palatable. Why do we all have to suffer in the name of a stupid tradition that didnt include turkey in its origins anyway.

Please discuss.

I have always said this, so glad to see I am not alone. For a holiday focused solely on food, it serves up some below par offerings.

Turkey sucks, we all know it, that's why you can't order it at restaurants. Saying "It's a good lunch meat" is an insult turkey, it was demoted to lunch meat.

Reaction Score
Our forefathers
1) Didnt have turkey at thanksgiving
2) Didnt allow women at the meal

I would assume your Thanksgiving includes both. So am I the one spitting?

the Pilgrims had shellfish.

"our harvest being gotten in, our governor sent four men on fowling, that so we might after a special manner rejoice together, after we had gathered the fruits of our labors; they four in one day killed as much fowl, as with a little help beside, served the Company almost a week, at which time amongst other Recreations, we exercised our Arms, many of the Indians coming amongst us, and amongst the rest their greatest king Massasoit, with some ninety men, whom for three days we entertained and feasted, and they went out and killed five Deer, which they brought to the Plantation and bestowed on our Governor, and upon the Captain and others. And although it be not always so plentiful, as it was at this time with us, yet by the goodness of God, we are so far from want, that we often wish you partakers of our plenty."

In Of Plymouth Plantation, William Bradford writes:

"They began now to gather in the small harvest they had, and to fit up their houses and dwellings against winter, being all well recovered in health and strength and had all things in good plenty. For as some were thus employed in affairs abroad, others were exercised in fishing, about cod and bass and other fish, of which they took good store, of which every family had their portion. All the summer there was no want; and now began to come in store of fowl, as winter approached, of which this place did abound when they came first (but afterward decreased by degrees). And besides waterfowl there was great store of wild turkeys, of which they took many, besides venison, etc. Besides, they had about a peck of meal a week to a person, or now since harvest, Indian corn to that proportion. Which made many afterwards write so largely of their plenty here to their friends in England, which were not feigned but true reports."

Last edited:

August_West

Reaction Score
I have always said this, so glad to see I am not alone. For a holiday focused solely on food, it serves up some below par offerings.

Turkey sucks, we all know it, that's why you can't order it at restaurants. Saying "It's a good lunch meat" is an insult turkey, it was demoted to lunch meat.

my brotha

Reaction Score
Its not bad in combination with gravy and great sides. I actually enjoy the sides quite a bit , so i can't cosign calling thanksgiving overrated. It should also be noted how much healthier it is than other options

Reaction Score
Whoever doesn't like turkey taste, hasn't tasted the appropriate cranberry sauce. I recommend canned jelly not berries. It hides the flavorless meat very well. If that doesn't work the stuffing with gravy will. Just combine with one of the two before putting it in mouth. My mother who is no longer living matched it with her homemade rolls, which tasted better than the turkey, but when combined made the turkey taste better.

Hell even posting I now can't wait for next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom