OT : Turkey Sucks and you know it........ | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT : Turkey Sucks and you know it........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
#turkeyspleef. 22 lbs in little rice paper wrappers. I'll smurkey till mthr n Christmas.

I need to bust out my chap translator to figure out what this means.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
This thread is like tryptophan. Its making me yawn like crazy.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
This thread is like tryptophan. Its making me yawn like crazy.

7Sv8u.gif

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
One other thing about cooking Turkey. especially large ones. It is pretty impossible to cook right. If your white meat is juicy your dark meat isn't cooked enough. If your dark meat is right, your white meat is like eating sawdust. That aint opinion. That is science.
Science is also why we discovered...GRAVY!!! The ultimate moisturizer!

Reaction Score
This is funny, whether you're joking or not. I think our forefathers had it right, i.e. eating sh_t other than turkey for Thanksgiving.

Absolutely a joke, totally tongue in cheek

I like a good laugh

Reaction Score
You must eat dog food the rest of the year if you think the Thanksgiving meal is the best. Turkey, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, stuffing, Waldorf salad creamed onions, string beans etc. You have to add a ton of good foods like sausage, butter, bacon, anchovies just to make this cornucopia of suck somewhat edible.

I can't believe this post slipped through everyone's fingers without commenting about the anchovies. Gastronomes and foodies included, how do you incorporate anchovies into Thanksgiving??? (this is coming from someone who started eating anchovies at 5 and always has a supply on hand).

And I think your mashed potato recipe (which sounds amazing) is exactly why Thanksgiving is so awesome- you can go to town on the cream and the butter (and why not duck fat?) and make these ridiculously yummy dishes without restraint.

All I need is some turkey skin and dark meat (the drumstick will do) and I'm satisfied.

Reaction Score
Because we have a great season about to start, Im going to start this thread a little early this year as when this would ordinarily be (semi) on topic, we will already have some great hoops to talk about. I dont want to clog board then, so lets get it out of the way.

Nobody can really like Turkey, you are lying to yourselves over some kind of family/nostalgia thing. It quite possibly the worst food you can imagine eating, and much like Bluefish, I expect to hear 1000 "but you havent had it prepared the way my family does it"
1) Yes, I probably have
2) Its still terrible ( you can pour caviar over the bird, you are still eating caviar coated poop)

So as a public service, Im getting this out early. Start a new tradition. There is no reason to eat this vermin. Make some prime Rib. Have some Tofu Coconut Curry soup. Jeez, open a box of Kraft mac and cheese. All are way more palatable. Why do we all have to suffer in the name of a stupid tradition that didnt include turkey in its origins anyway.

Please discuss.
Love turkey, mashed potatoes and turkey gravy. A little off topic but the best soup I've ever had was wild turkey soup at the Hermitage at Mt. Snow.
On bluefish, don't listen to anyone who tells you "you have to know how to cook it". It is BS, bluefish sucks no matter what you do.
Well at least this isn't another best pizza thread. We really need a game.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Love turkey, mashed potatoes and turkey gravy. A little off topic but the best soup I've ever had was wild turkey soup at the Hermitage at Mt. Snow.
On bluefish, don't listen to anyone who tells you "you have to know how to cook it". It is BS, bluefish sucks no matter what you do.
Well at least this isn't another best pizza thread. We really need a game.
There's a football game tonight. Tailgating starts at 2:00 (3:00 for non-season ticket holders).

Reaction Score
I can't believe this post slipped through everyone's fingers without commenting about the anchovies. Gastronomes and foodies included, how do you incorporate anchovies into Thanksgiving??? (this is coming from someone who started eating anchovies at 5 and always has a supply on hand).

And I think your mashed potato recipe (which sounds amazing) is exactly why Thanksgiving is so awesome- you can go to town on the cream and the butter (and why not duck fat?) and make these ridiculously yummy dishes without restraint.
I just
All I need is some turkey skin and dark meat (the drumstick will do) and I'm satisfied.
I just heat up the anchovy filets in butter to break them down and then pour the mixture over cooked string beans, I use that as a side with browned brussels sprouts that are cooked in bacon fat with chicken stock and golden raisins added, crumbled bacon is of course added at the end. As you can see my veggies aren't exactly health food, I should have grown up in the South where they consider mac and cheese a veggie.

Reaction Score
A turkey is basically a really big chicken, right?

We eat duck—which is arguably the tastiest bird—so, why have I never seen swan for sale at my local supermarket?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We eat duck—which is arguably the tastiest bird—so, why have I never seen swan for sale at my local supermarket?

Forget swan. The person that finds a way to make Canadian Geese a go-to food will make a mint.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Turkey for the girls and turkey for the boys,
My favorite kind of pants are courduroys.

Turkey lurkey doo and turkey lurkey dap,
I eat my turkey then I take a nap.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I make a turkey every Thanksgiving.

I just don't eat it.

I don't mind it -- if no one wants a drumstick, I might nibble at one. But after shopping for the turkey, working around its hulking presence in the refrigerator for days and then finally hacking at its carcass and cooking it, I'm ready for it to be out of my life.

It's freaking tradition - what are you gonna do? I wish the Pilgrims would have had a nice seared duck breast, but they were ass holes and they had turkey. And then they gave the neighbors small pox and pushed them off their land, so if we're going to adhere to at least part of their script, let's just stick with turkey.

Reaction Score
I think Turkey looks great. I was watching the Golf Channel and they are playing the Turkish Airlines tourney out there, looks great!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
This post has all the makings to beat the best pizza thread. Y'all have three weeks to get the ball rolling.

BTW - anyone who thinks turkey sucks has never had Thankgiving dinner at a home with a good cook. It's my favorite holiday, and my favorite family dinner. Thank you, Granny, and Mom.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I'm medium on the bird but love the holiday. No shopping, less stress, hopefully your gathering has more loved ones than people you'd love to strangle.

August, did you know Ben Franklin nominated the turkey as our national bird? It might have been illegal to eat them if they were. But we might be stuck eating roast eagle evey November.

Reaction Score
August_West said:
So all you turkey proponents above. How many times a year do you throw that bird in the oven? I mean its great, right? Something so delicious there is no reason to just limit to Thanksgiving. amirite? But I would bet that none of you make a full bird more than once more a year (and that would be stretching it). Why? Because you also know it sucks on a sub-conscious level.

I work in NYC. I eat fresh turkey at delis all the time. Appreciate that a lot of them roast a turkey every day.

Reaction Score
"I'm pissed off at turkeys. You go to the grocery store and you see turkey pastrami, turkey ham, turkey bologna. Someone needs to tell the turkeys, "man, just be yourselves".

Reaction Score
I just heat up the anchovy filets in butter to break them down and then.

Yes- that sounds amazing.

My special ingredients (besides some usual suspects) for adding that kapow! are anchovies, fish sauce, and kyuupi japanese mayonnaise (along with some cream, sour cream, butter, and gruyere, I add kyuupi to the mashed potatoes).

Although after the fish sauce spilled in the fridge, it's tentatively been banned from our house.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I just wanted to make sure everyone on the yard is still healthy and with us now that we are a few days out from Thanksgiving. Everybody OK? Because I do like to play up the fact that Turkey sucks, but I seriously wish no harm to come to my fellow UConn fans.
Be careful of the superbugs, and see a DR. if showing any signs of illness since T-Day.
http://www.grubstreet.com/2015/11/superbugs-in-meat.html

Reaction Score
The past three years, my family has prepared two turkeys every Thanksgiving, one the conventional way and the other is a deep fried Cajun turkey. While I need gravy/sides to go with the conventional bird, I could eat the fried turkey by itself. I'm sort of on the fence here because I agree that turkey is a sub-optimal meat, but I'm still a fan of it on Thanksgiving.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I just wanted to make sure everyone on the yard is still healthy and with us now that we are a few days out from Thanksgiving. Everybody OK? Because I do like to play up the fact that Turkey sucks, but I seriously wish no harm to come to my fellow UConn fans.
Be careful of the superbugs, and see a DR. if showing any signs of illness since T-Day.
http://www.grubstreet.com/2015/11/superbugs-in-meat.html

Still killing turkey/stuffing/cranberry sandwiches every day. Feeling phenomenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom