OT : Turkey Sucks and you know it........ | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT : Turkey Sucks and you know it........

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I love turkey.

I love turkey sandwiches. I love turkey at Thanksgiving covered in gravy. I love turkey burgers and turkey sausage.

Repent, OP, and perhaps you will be forgiven for loving BOXED MACARONI AND CHEESE MORE THAN TURKEY.

Ok. Im going to use you as the quote, but it is not solely directed at you, because I have now seen ground turkey mentioned multiple times in this thread.

I am truly curious here (Ive been playful and provocative in this thread, but allow me to put on a sincere hat for a second).

You people who are using ground turkey for whatever (chili, burgers, meatloaf, whatever)

you are doing it for the health benefits? Because turkey is supposed to be better for you than the red meat or port alternatives? (Im not saying it isnt healthier, it probably is) Thats it though, right? I will even grant that over time maybe your palate as grown accustomed to it.

Its a healthy substitute.

Lets pretend for minute the health issue did not exist that everything was on a level playing field.
Surely a well made pork sausage is better than a Turkey sausage all things being equal?
A burger ground of Brisket sirloin and chuck better than a Turkey burger?
Chili with a good beef...etc...etc....

Turkey is your compromise. At least thats the way I see it. And thats fine. You will all probably live longer than me. (but contrary to some of your wishes I will NOT die today :)

Reaction Score
Ok. Im going to use you as the quote, but it is not solely directed at you, because I have now seen ground turkey mentioned multiple times in this thread.

I am truly curious here (Ive been playful and provocative in this thread, but allow me to put on a sincere hat for a second).

You people who are using ground turkey for whatever (chili, burgers, meatloaf, whatever)

you are doing it for the health benefits? Because turkey is supposed to be better for you than the red meat or port alternatives? (Im not saying it isnt healthier, it probably is) Thats it though, right? I will even grant that over time maybe your palate as grown accustomed to it.

Lets pretend for minute the health issue did not exist that everything was on a level playing field.
Surely a well made pork sausage is better than a Turkey sausage all things being equal?

Turkey is your compromise. At least thats the way I see it. And thats fine. You will all probably live longer than me. (but contrary to some of your wishes I will NOT die today :)
Not a fan of turkey breakfast meat. Turkey bacon always tastes like paper, unless I'm cooking it wrong. My wife cooks spaghetti, lasagna, etc. with ground turkey meat and I hate it.

Reaction Score
Not a fan of turkey breakfast meat. Turkey bacon always tastes like paper, unless I'm cooking it wrong. My wife cooks spaghetti, lasagna, etc. with ground turkey meat and I hate it.

Yes.

When I get home and find out it's "make your own taco night"....first thing I do is check the fridge to see if it's ground turkey or beef.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

I don't typically use ground turkey as a complete sub for ground beef or pork sausage, but if a recipe calls for two pounds of ground meat, it does not hurt the flavor at all to halve it with ground turkey or turkey sausage, respectively.

Just after my wife and I moved into our current neighborhood, we were invited to a neighbor's house one summer night for drinks. Our host had the same opinion as you, he said he could always tell if turkey was subbed in where it didn't belong (according to him). Meanwhile, he had just polished off half of a 7-layer dip that was cut with ground turkey. Turkey sausage is decent, turkey bacon is only passable if used as bacon bits.

Reaction Score
"Dissing the turkey". Say it ain't so. Smoked turkey. I smoked a turkey once and it was real good.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

For us, I'm sure it was introduced in the first instance based on health benefits, but I definitely prefer it to ground beef for the burgers, meatloaf and chili we make at home. Aside from the chopped mushrooms I don't know what else my wife puts in the mix, but it's a preference not a compromise for me in those instances.

I generally don't order it out, or even premade to cook at home. It has to be whatever ground turkey meat she buys, and however she mixes it. But her turkey burgers, turkey meatloaf and turkey chili rock. I grill the burgers, but otherwise I don't have anything to do with the preparation.

I still love a good, basic beef and bean chili the best otherwise. And pork sausage, of course.

Reaction Score

Yes, turkey is a compromise. Of course a beef burger tastes much better but it's sooooo much worse for you. When I go out, I'll have a real burger. At home, I'll enjoy a turkey burger and sweet potato fries, and honestly, if I toast my bun and put on the toppings I like with onions, lettuce, tomato, etc. it's probably 80% as good to me, and that's close enough for the health benefits.

In reality, very lean beef is actually not too bad for you, either, but very lean beef is quite expensive comparatively.

For certain things, like turkey sausage or turkey chili, I honestly can't really tell the difference and enjoy it just as much.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Turkey as a substitute... No thanks.

August- do you ever enjoy a roast chicken, or no?

August_West

Reaction Score
Turkey as a substitute... No thanks.

August- do you ever enjoy a roast chicken, or no?

a bit more than Turkey, but it is never a go to order for me, no.

Reaction Score
I really don't think a turkey cooked the right way - whether roasted, smoked, fried, whatever - sucks at all. It definitely doesn't top my Thanksgiving food power rankings, but the rest of the meal just wouldn't be complete without it. It goes perfectly with the mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls, cranberry sauce, stuffing, whatever else you have. If I were to eliminate turkey from my Thanksgiving altogether, what's next? It'd be only a few short years before total anarchy ensues. Sometimes, you don't mess with tradition.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I have a feeling you're just really bad at cooking whatever kind of turkey you make. However, this thread makes me wonder what other food you can't stand?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
But turkey led the country in shot blocking and field goal percentage.......hater

August_West

Reaction Score

and let me expound. I enjoy the hell out of good fried chicken. I make chicken thighs in my smoker that absolutely are delicious. So I am not totally against chicken.

I love wings obviously (this IS the boneyard)

but yeah, roasted poultry doesnt light my fire.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I trust you know Pasta Vita in Old Saybrook, and that they do many, many things very well (their chicken-artichoke lasagna is an addiction for me, and their regular lasagna is also tremendous). They have an Argentine roasted chicken dinner that is very good eating for the whole family. Complete with potatoes and carrots. Very nicely spiced and very moist. We've been there easily more than a hundred times and that's something we never would have ordered on our own, but a friend gave it to us when we were bringing her daughter with us to a house we rented for vacation a couple summers ago and we have become fans since. Recommended.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Because we have a great season about to start, Im going to start this thread a little early this year as when this would ordinarily be (semi) on topic, we will already have some great hoops to talk about. I dont want to clog board then, so lets get it out of the way.

Nobody can really like Turkey, you are lying to yourselves over some kind of family/nostalgia thing. It quite possibly the worst food you can imagine eating, and much like Bluefish, I expect to hear 1000 "but you havent had it prepared the way my family does it"
1) Yes, I probably have
2) Its still terrible ( you can pour caviar over the bird, you are still eating caviar coated poop)

So as a public service, Im getting this out early. Start a new tradition. There is no reason to eat this vermin. Make some prime Rib. Have some Tofu Coconut Curry soup. Jeez, open a box of Kraft mac and cheese. All are way more palatable. Why do we all have to suffer in the name of a stupid tradition that didnt include turkey in its origins anyway.

Please discuss.
Just be thankful the Indians didn't present beaver steaks and possum chops at Thanksgiving.

Reaction Score
"Dissing the turkey". Say it ain't so. Smoked turkey. I smoked a turkey once and it was real good.
Smoked turkey is good but my sneakers would also probably taste good if they were smoked.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Ground Turkey is an indiscernible sub for ground beef in chili. Just as delicious.
My wife and will be oven roasting turkey breasteses during the Thanksgiving weekend. We are not dark meat fans. And as for ground turkey (ground dark meat)...hate it. Ground chicken only as a chili substitute. And organic tastes better than Perdue!

Reaction Score
and let me expound. I enjoy the hell out of good fried chicken. I make chicken thighs in my smoker that absolutely are delicious. So I am not totally against chicken.

I love wings obviously (this IS the boneyard)

but yeah, roasted poultry doesnt light my fire.
Chicken is awesome.

August_West

Reaction Score
One other thing about cooking Turkey. especially large ones. It is pretty impossible to cook right. If your white meat is juicy your dark meat isn't cooked enough. If your dark meat is right, your white meat is like eating sawdust. That aint opinion. That is science.

Reaction Score
Somebody in the thread mentioned they like sweet potato fries, which is right up there with Atlantic salmon as the most overrated food ever. It's taking a truly awesome food in French fries and creating a much inferior product. It seems like one day about 12 or so years ago every restaurant was substituting French fries for Cr*p fries, I mean sweet potato fries. At around the same time every restaurant was offering tilapia as their fish option.

Reaction Score
Chicken is awesome.
Fried is awesome the other methods are delicious. Back in the day, grandma used 100% lard, and fukk today's cardiologists (and the 'shake and bakers'), it was the best:

s-Lard-tin-circa-mid-19602.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul