OT : Turkey Sucks and you know it........ | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT : Turkey Sucks and you know it........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
One other thing about cooking Turkey. especially large ones. It is pretty impossible to cook right. If your white meat is juicy your dark meat isn't cooked enough. If your dark meat is right, your white meat is like eating sawdust. That aint opinion. That is science.

Has anyone tried roasting the turkey upside down for the first 45 minutes? I am not in charge of the turkey at Thanksgiving (I man the beer fridge and wine table), but it seems like a reasonable strategy to keep the white meat from drying out.

Reaction Score
Has anyone tried roasting the turkey upside down for the first 45 minutes? I am not in charge of the turkey at Thanksgiving (I man the beer fridge and wine table), but it seems like a reasonable strategy to keep the white meat from drying out.
The household rule is never too experiment with a Thanksgiving turkey especially cooking it upside down, no matter how reasonable a suggestion may sound.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

It doesnt really matter. Contrary to what someone said in this thread about me being a lousy cook and thats why I dont like turkey, I am actually quite good.I will spare the hot air on how I got there because nobody will care anyway, but I know a little bit.

As a longtime cook, especially with meats, and more specifically with smokers I am of the school that temperature (both internal and external) is everything. Different meats respond to different cooking temps, and also reach their peak at different internal temps.
Every meat I do has a certain temp range it needs to be internally for it to be the best that it can be.
My pulled pork shoulder in a smoker comes out at 203 degrees, no more or not less
My homemade Pastrami comes out of the smoker at 155 degrees and then I steam up to 200
my steaks come off hot grills exactly 5 degrees below whatever someones eating preference is.

Point being Im anal about cooking stuff as good as it can be.

Turkey white meat is at its best at 165 degrees. You go even a little bit over that and youve lost it, it dries in a hurry.

Turkey dark meat is at its best at about 180 degree internal.

How do you cook a whole bird to temps 15 degrees apart?

You dont. One or the other suffers.

Which pisses me off. And part of the reason I hate it. I have split birds before cooking before to get each part right, and cooked them to perfection. Breast right to 165 and Thighs to 180..... still was turkey in the end :) ......

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I cannot believe that anybody who's eaten a turkey drumstick could say turkey is tasteless. I guess you don't eat chicken, then?

We are big consumers of ground turkey. Turkey burgers, red turkey chili, white turkey chili, Asian turkey lettuce wraps. Whatever calls for ground beef or chicken can be made with turkey.

And I like turkey sandwiches too.

In conclusion, August_West, YOU'RE A TURKEY.

August_West

Reaction Score
8893 said:
Now that is one way I have not tried turkey. Sounds painful.

Turkey painful in all orifices.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
One other thing about cooking Turkey. especially large ones. It is pretty impossible to cook right. If your white meat is juicy your dark meat isn't cooked enough. If your dark meat is right, your white meat is like eating sawdust. That aint opinion. That is science.
One word for you. Spatchcock.

Reaction Score
For certain things, like turkey sausage or turkey chili, I honestly can't really tell the difference and enjoy it just as much.

I bet you just forgot what pork sausage tastes like!

We too mostly eat chicken or turkey sausage from our local butcher and I can eat it no problem, not complaints, all the time.

Then, last week, my wife prepared some sausage and it was the most fatty, juicy, flavorful, delicious thing I'd had in who knows how long.

"I decided to get real sausage this time."

Oh, and I do like turkey and other Thanksgiving dishes.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I agree it's a pretty dry/bland meat. Thats why they don't really eat turkey in many other countries.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It doesnt really matter. Contrary to what someone said in this thread about me being a lousy cook and thats why I dont like turkey, I am actually quite good.I will spare the hot air on how I got there because nobody will care anyway, but I know a little bit.

As a longtime cook, especially with meats, and more specifically with smokers I am of the school that temperature (both internal and external) is everything. Different meats respond to different cooking temps, and also reach their peak at different internal temps.
Every meat I do has a certain temp range it needs to be internally for it to be the best that it can be.
My pulled pork shoulder in a smoker comes out at 203 degrees, no more or not less
My homemade Pastrami comes out of the smoker at 155 degrees and then I steam up to 200
my steaks come off hot grills exactly 5 degrees below whatever someones eating preference is.

Turkey white meat is at its best at 165 degrees. You go even a little bit over that and youve lost it, it dries in a hurry.

Which pisses me off. And part of the reason I hate it. I have split birds before cooking before to get each part right, and cooked them to perfection. Breast right to 165 and Thighs to 180..... still was turkey in the end :) .
If you are cooking to 165/180 you done over cooked it beyond saving... It's actually quite safe to pull it sooner and avoid over drying (I'll provide references if needed ;) ) Also, @CAHUSKY nailed it - spatchcocking the bird helps ensure it cooks more evenly.

Not gonna say this way is better than that way or whatever, but this guy is pretty obsessive about actually testing various cooking methods scientifically... May be worth a quick read, if interested. http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/...-thanksgiving-fast-easy-way-spatchcocked.html

You'll still hate turkey but maybe think about cooking it differently. ;)

Reaction Score
If you are cooking to 165/180 you done over cooked it beyond saving... It's actually quite safe to pull it sooner and avoid over drying (I'll provide references if needed ;) ) Also, @CAHUSKY nailed it - spatchcocking the bird helps ensure it cooks more evenly.

Not gonna say this way is better than that way or whatever, but this guy is pretty obsessive about actually testing various cooking methods scientifically... May be worth a quick read, if interested. http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/...-thanksgiving-fast-easy-way-spatchcocked.html

You'll still hate turkey but maybe think about cooking it differently. ;)

Kenji is the best, I am loving his new book.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm one of those people that likes piling the leftover turkey on good bread with mayo the next day but yes turkey pretty much sucks, actually the entire Thanksgiving meal pretty much sucks.

You obviously have no taste. It might be the greatest cornucopia of dishes in the known universe.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

So August, how big of a turkey you cookin' this Thanksgiving?

Reaction Score
You obviously have no taste. It might be the greatest cornucopia of dishes in the known universe.
You must eat dog food the rest of the year if you think the Thanksgiving meal is the best. Turkey, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, stuffing, Waldorf salad creamed onions, string beans etc. You have to add a ton of good foods like sausage, butter, bacon, anchovies just to make this cornucopia of suck somewhat edible. There is a reason nobody eats this cr*p the rest of the year. The only tasty Thanksgiving meal I've ever had was years ago with a bunch of my chef friends. The bird was confited in duck fat and then finished on the grill to crisp up the skin, the gravy had close to a pound of butter and was unlike any gravy I've had and the potatoes were cut, skinned and boiled to make them super soft. The cream was brought up to temp with butter (you want a 2/1 cream to butter ratio) along with peppercorns, coriander, thyme, fennel seed and rosemary before being strained and added to the potatoes with salt. Now it's time to mash the out of them, a food mill is preferable. Whatever you do, don't whisk them it will activate the gluten molecules and leave the potatoes gummy. Best way to eat turkey and potatoes, you're welcome.

August_West

Reaction Score
superjohn said:
You must eat dog food the rest of the year if you think the Thanksgiving meal is the best. Turkey, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, stuffing, Waldorf salad creamed onions, string beans etc. You have to add a ton of good foods like sausage, butter, bacon, anchovies just to make this cornucopia of suck somewhat edible. There is a reason nobody eats this cr*p the rest of the year. The only tasty Thanksgiving meal I've ever had was years ago with a bunch of my chef friends. The bird was confited in duck fat and then finished on the grill to crisp up the skin, the gravy had close to a pound of butter and was unlike any gravy I've had and the potatoes were cut, skinned and boiled to make them super soft. The cream was brought up to temp with butter (you want a 2/1 cream to butter ratio) along with peppercorns, coriander, thyme, fennel seed and rosemary before being strained and added to the potatoes with salt. Now it's time to mash the out of them, a food mill is preferable. Whatever you do, don't whisk them it will activate the gluten molecules and leave the potatoes gummy. Best way to eat turkey and potatoes, you're welcome.

You had me at "cornucopia of suck"

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If you like turkey - enjoy
I you don't - eat something else
What an absolutely ridiculous posting
August as a fellow Dead head, I'm ashamed of you
I eat turkey probably 5 times a month in various shapes, forms and textures and enjoy it
As with any foodstuff, if prepared to your liking, you eat and enjoy

Reaction Score
"Dissing the turkey". Say it ain't so. Smoked turkey. I smoked a turkey once and it was real good.

#turkeyspleef. 22 lbs in little rice paper wrappers. I'll smurkey till mthrfckn Christmas.

Reaction Score
Dude post this comment on the women's board and see if they agree with this. I can predict the responses you would get.

Reaction Score

Which pisses me off. And part of the reason I hate it. I have split birds before cooking before to get each part right, and cooked them to perfection. Breast right to 165 and Thighs to 180..... still was turkey in the end :) .
A big bag of ice cubes sitting on top of the turkey on the breast for an hour will chill the white meat and cause the white meat to get done at the same time as the dark, I know we've done it. No dry white meat. Case closed.

Reaction Score
I bet you just forgot what pork sausage tastes like!

We too mostly eat chicken or turkey sausage from our local butcher and I can eat it no problem, not complaints, all the time.

Then, last week, my wife prepared some sausage and it was the most fatty, juicy, flavorful, delicious thing I'd had in who knows how long.

"I decided to get real sausage this time."

Oh, and I do like turkey and other Thanksgiving dishes.

Ha. I do eat real sausage from time to time. It's just so terrible for you. So it's a rare treat. But I never forget. Loooove me some pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom