OT- Tony Stewart | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT- Tony Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here's my take, as equally uninformed as the rest of you:

Was Ward stupid to get out of his car and confront Stewart's moving vehicle? Unequivocally.

Is Stewart a hothead generally? Yes.

Did Stewart intend to hit Ward? No.

Did Stewart drive aggressively at Ward and intend to buzz/scare/intimidate him? Probably.

Is that provable in a court of law? Probably not.

I think it's correct to say that Tony Stewart is partially responsible for Ward's death, and -- as someone else has said -- that his intentional actions (driving close to Ward, possibly accelerating) ultimately caused it. I don't think, however, that you can prove it (i.e. a charge like manslaughter) beyond a reasonable doubt.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Someone already pointed out that both of them did it.
I obviously didn't read down that far before responding...

As a casual race fan (I.e. I watch the Indy 500 and Dayton 500, but otherwise wait for the crashes), I don't remember hearing the about those other drivers doing it. Stewart's feat got a lot of publicity. Also Stewart used to drive for Joe Gibbs Racing. Joe Gibbs is the former Hall of Fame Coach of my favorite NFL team, the Washington Redskins and Stewart was always on the sidelines at FedEx Field if he wasn't racing.

Reaction Score

Was Ward stupid to get out of his car and confront Stewart's moving vehicle? Unequivocally.

Did Stewart drive aggressively at Ward and intend to buzz/scare/intimidate him? Probably.

I think it's correct to say that Tony Stewart is partially responsible for Ward's death, and -- as someone else has said -- that his intentional actions (driving close to Ward, possibly accelerating) ultimately caused it. I don't think, however, that you can prove it (i.e. a charge like manslaughter) beyond a reasonable doubt.

I don't see how anyone can say that Stewart probably drove aggresively at him.

I am not a Tony Stewart fan, I actually can't stand him. But in this case Ward is probably 100% responsible for his own death.

Would get out of your own car and confront an oncoming driver that was going even 35 mph? Would you even have to get that far down the track to make your point?

These guys have been doing this for years and sooner or later this was bound to happen.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
ZooCougar said:
Add to the fact that auto racing is already inherently dangerous and the fact that the driver got out of the car and confronted oncoming traffic. No way in would a DA attempt to prosecute this one.

This is usually the case, but there is precedent for on field acts to rise to criminal level. Everyone does need to back off a bit. We can all speculate on the range of scenarios, but as of right now there is no evidence this was anything but an accident.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Tenspro2002 said:

Change the first probably to possibly and you've nailed it.

Reaction Score
This is usually the case, but there is precedent for on field acts to rise to criminal level. Everyone does need to back off a bit. We can all speculate on the range of scenarios, but as of right now there is no evidence this was anything but an accident.

It's unequivocally an accident.

The only issue I take here is that Tony Stewart "probably" did anything. Unless one of us is omniscient there is simply no way to know.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Change the first probably to possibly and you've nailed it.

Stewart would also have had to intentionally been in the right lane to "buzz" Ward.

It's beyond a stretch to believe he knew Ward would be out of his car, walking on the track to confront him, so he got himself in position before the turn.

At worst he had a second to swerve toward Ward with the intent to scare him.

Reaction Score
So you agree. You are interpreting a poster's intent, even though it's not what s/he said.

Wrong.

And you're still wrong about not one poster saying he intentionally killed him. One poster did, and three pages of conversation continued until he edited it.

You don't nee to be a lawyer to know the difference between murder and manslaughter.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The Corvette, which could never be confused with the Buick Skylark.

Anyone else get this reference?

I got it, but I'll bet some of the other 'yoots' here are too young to get it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't see how anyone can say that Stewart probably drove aggresively at him.

I am not a Tony Stewart fan, I actually can't stand him. But in this case Ward is probably 100% responsible for his own death.

Would get out of your own car and confront an oncoming driver that was going even 35 mph? Would you even have to get that far down the track to make your point?

These guys have been doing this for years and sooner or later this was bound to happen.

Watched it again, confirmed what I saw. Ward gets out, walks down a little, then he sees Stewart's car and points at it (probably yelling you mother___ or some such). He starts walking towards Stewart as if he expects him to stop and engage in a fistfight or something. The Blue and White car misses him, the camera pans away and then back, and we see him get hit by the right rear quarter. His weight looks like it is on his right foot, leaning in to the car. Immediately after impact the rear of Stewart's car slides down, away from impact. I don't know if impact would knock the car down or not...on dirt perhaps.

Can't see criminal charges unless there is new, different evidence. Civil claim is likely, and it even under a contributory negligence standard, I think Stewart will be paying out a fair amount. He could have been going slower and could have been lower on the track, but Ward is mostly at fault.

Reaction Score
Watched it again, confirmed what I saw. Ward gets out, walks down a little, then he sees Stewart's car and points at it (probably yelling you mother___ or some such). He starts walking towards Stewart as if he expects him to stop and engage in a fistfight or something. The Blue and White car misses him, the camera pans away and then back, and we see him get hit by the right rear quarter. His weight looks like it is on his right foot, leaning in to the car. Immediately after impact the rear of Stewart's car slides down, away from impact. I don't know if impact would knock the car down or not...on dirt perhaps.

Can't see criminal charges unless there is new, different evidence. Civil claim is likely, and it even under a contributory negligence standard, I think Stewart will be paying out a fair amount. He could have been going slower and could have been lower on the track, but Ward is mostly at fault.

That Civil Suit will be a loser too. Once he got out of the car, Ward was assuming grave risk.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Get drunk, drive and kill some one. Then tell me about intent. Drive too fast and kill someone....
Someone starts hitting you and you accidentally kill them with a bat. Intent is not necessary that is why it is called negligent homicide,or in the last example, maybe manslaughter.
Intent is required for sin, according to the nuns I had, but not all crimes.

In this case, I would think if there was a clear attempt to intimidate, bump, spray with dirt, Tony could be looking at the possibility of negligent homicide.Not saying there was. Just saying it matters.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Wrong.

And you're still wrong about not one poster saying he intentionally killed him. One poster did, and three pages of conversation continued until he edited it.

You don't nee to be a lawyer to know the difference between murder and manslaughter.

It wasn't even two pages. No need to make stuff up. It was right after I read SuperJohn's post referencing Vehicular manslaughter. So yeah, conversation continued until someone actually brought up the right term, and I changed it to reflect that. It's called being accurate. Look into it.

If you read it in context, it was easy to see what I was trying to say, but you either purposefully misinterpreted it or you had reading comprehension issues.

I think you are simply holding on to that straw, because it is the only thin shred backing your original claim.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That Civil Suit will be a loser too. Once he got out of the car, Ward was assuming grave risk.

Comparative negligence is the standard in most states. So if any part of this was Tony Stewart's fault, he'll pay something. I think it would be pretty easy to lay some of the blame on Stewart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom