OT- Tony Stewart | The Boneyard

OT- Tony Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just saw the Tony Stewart video and it's very disturbing. A couple of things that seem insane to me, the Sherriff says there won't be a criminal investigation and Tony Stewart originally said he would race again today before I'm guessing his sponsors told him it would be a bad look. Surprised a tragedy like this hasn't happened in this sport until now and not surprised Tony Stewart is involved.

Reaction Score
Not much into NASCAR and don't really know Tony Stewart from Tony Montana, but why was the victim trying to flag down a car at twilight in the middle of a race? Absent a fire, I'm not sure I would leave a car unless I was sure the track was clear. I don't know, maybe Stewart tried to clip him on purpose, but it is also plausible that Stewart's view was blocked by the car in front of him, which isn't helpful when driving at low light.

Reaction Score
The sheriff only said there is an investigation under way. No yes vs. no re: criminal charges.
The video is disturbing.
Your insanity comment re: Stewart is understandable. He said last night that he'd race at which time I'm sure he was in shock. He woke up today clearer-headed. Generally sane people don't behave in a sane manner sometimes. Like Stewart after the incident. Like Kevin Ward acting out his 'road rage' in an insane manner, doing something he'd never do when clear-headed.
Did Stewart originally bump Ward on purpose to cause the spin-out? That would not surprise me. Did he maneuver to hit Ward as he ran at him. That's highly unlikely.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Sherriff said their isn't a criminal investigation at this time, they are currently operating as if its an on-track incident. That can change once the interviews and video analysis is complete. The full range of determinations is still open, imo. Accident, victim recklessness, Stewart recklessness, negligence, moment of rage, attempt at intimidation gone awry, miscalculation on the size of his vehicle, lack of familiarity with the track, no spotter to let him know the guy was running out there, poor lighting. Won't know for a while.

Also, I don't think he is racing today.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
saw the video, very very sad that the kid died... that being said he should've stayed in the car or gotten off the track then try to confront tony, not do it at night wearing black standing in the middle of the track dodging cars and looking to fight tony... even though the video looks like he aims for him, it looked like tony saw him at the last second and freaked, from what i've read the reason he didnt slow down is because breaking hard on a dirt track is not good at all you'll lose control...

Reaction Score
The sheriff only said there is an investigation under way. No yes vs. no re: criminal charges.
The video is disturbing.
Your insanity comment re: Stewart is understandable. He said last night that he'd race at which time I'm sure he was in shock. He woke up today clearer-headed. Generally sane people don't behave in a sane manner sometimes. Like Stewart after the incident. Like Kevin Ward acting out his 'road rage' in an insane manner, doing something he'd never do when clear-headed.
Did Stewart originally bump Ward on purpose to cause the spin-out? That would not surprise me. Did he maneuver to hit Ward as he ran at him. That's highly unlikely.
Stewart is an immature idiot and Ward Jr. should not have left his car and charged out onto the track, though as you know this is fairly commonplace in racing these days. It was a caution and the drivers were moving slowly, no I don't think Stewart intentionally wanted to hit and kill the kid but from the video it looks to me like Stewart accelerated to give Ward a scare, something Stewart has done a ton of times in the past. The kid was close to Stewart's car and this time on the dirt the tail end of the car spun out more then he thought it would and it resulted in tragedy. That's at least what I got from the video, I do expect a criminal investigation......racing needs to take a long look at this tragedy and make some changes.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen the video...don't really want to either. But from what I heard it'd be pretty hard to blame Stewart for what happened. I've seen videos before of pissed off drivers going onto the track area and try to "confront" other drivers who are still in the race by throwing their helmet at the car, trying to flag them down, etc. That is a stupid, stupid thing to do. Confront them after the race is over if you're still pissed off about it.

Reaction Score
Something similar happen to my son when he was racing,the driver got out of the car and was standing in the middle of the track. It was hit her or hit her car, so he hit her car, no where else to go, of course she went crazy on him.

Reaction Score
stewart totally hit the kid on purpose. it looked like he kinda sped up . mutliple cars passed the guy ward before he was hit

Reaction Score
My family was in racing for a number of years( not big time), things happen that are out of your control and another driver will take offense. This is not in any way
referencing the Steward incident, although I do agree he is somewhat of a loose cannon.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Just saw the Tony Stewart video and it's very disturbing. A couple of things that seem insane to me, the Sherriff says there won't be a criminal investigation and Tony Stewart originally said he would race again today before I'm guessing his sponsors told him it would be a bad look. Surprised a tragedy like this hasn't happened in this sport until now and not surprised Tony Stewart is involved.

Well most people don't accelerate into a guy walking around the track. They try to break, and, I don't know, actually avoid the guy in question?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Not much into NASCAR and don't really know Tony Stewart from Tony Montana, but why was the victim trying to flag down a car at twilight in the middle of a race? Absent a fire, I'm not sure I would leave a car unless I was sure the track was clear. I don't know, maybe Stewart tried to clip him on purpose, but it is also plausible that Stewart's view was blocked by the car in front of him, which isn't helpful when driving at low light.

Problem with that is, Stewart hit the throttle into the guy. Also, when there's a wreck, the caution flag immediately goes up and there's standard protocol for how drivers are supposed to act. Not to mention hitting someone is preposterous no matter how you frame it. Stewart is an absolute maniac.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I haven't seen the video...don't really want to either. But from what I heard it'd be pretty hard to blame Stewart for what happened. I've seen videos before of pissed off drivers going onto the track area and try to "confront" other drivers who are still in the race by throwing their helmet at the car, trying to flag them down, etc. That is a stupid, stupid thing to do. Confront them after the race is over if you're still pissed off about it.

I'm pretty sure Stewart actually accelerated into him. At least it looks that way on video. And you can hear the throttle pump. I could be wrong, but I need solid proof of that.

Reaction Score
I'd rather watch The View than Nascar, so I don't have any horse in this race.

It's completely, unequivocally silly to even mention criminal charges in this matter.

Here are the facts:

Dude wearing black outfit and black helmet gets onto dark track and puts himself into the potential path of oncoming vehicles, which he knows are there.

He intentionally puts himself into close proximity with a car driver.

He is hit and killed by that driver.

The video doesn't show Stewart "speeding up" or "driving at him." If anything, he was worried about hitting this Darwinian Exhibit A and steered left, causing his ass end to kick out right.

No reasonable person could conclude, beyond a reasonable doubt, or even close to that standard, that Stewart intentionally or recklessly hit this idiot.

Not to be put too blunt a tip on it - but you either have an axe to grind against this guy or you're not a reasonable person if you look at this and think that this is criminal liability here.

And this is what is scary about the justice system - get a DA looking for exposure or a LEO with no common sense and maybe they start the process and this becomes a huge waste of everybody's time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Stewart actually accelerated into him. At least it looks that way on video. And you can hear the throttle pump. I could be wrong, but I need solid proof of that.

Did he hit the guy head-on?

Reaction Score
Never underestimate what a person can do in the heat of the moment in anger, I played baseball in the Waterbury twilight league and once saw a player swing an aluminum bat with full force at someone's head, the kid ducked just in time saving his life.

NASCAR will need to implement a new rule, getting out of your car on a track (unless your car is on fire) gets you automatically suspended from racing for one year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

It's completely, unequivocally silly to even mention criminal charges in this matter.

Here are the facts:

Dude wearing black outfit and black helmet gets onto dark track and puts himself into the potential path of oncoming vehicles, which he knows are there.

The video doesn't show Stewart "speeding up" or "driving at him." If anything, he was worried about hitting this Darwinian Exhibit A and steered left, causing his ass end to kick out right.

No reasonable person could conclude, beyond a reasonable doubt, or even close to that standard, that Stewart intentionally or recklessly hit this idiot.

Not to be put too blunt a tip on it - but you either have an axe to grind against this guy or you're not a reasonable person if you look at this and think that this is criminal liability here.

And this is what is scary about the justice system - get a DA looking for exposure or a LEO with no common sense and maybe they start the process and this becomes a huge waste of everybody's time.
Agree the kid shouldn't have run onto track but this happens all the time in racing during cautions, completely disagree with everything else you said.

Reaction Score
NASCAR will need to implement a new rule, getting out of your car on a track (unless your car is on fire) gets you automatically suspended from racing for one year.
The fact is, NASCAR has profited from this sort of horsesh!t in the exact same way that the NHL profits from fighting. They like it. It gets non-hardcore fans interested in non-events. "Today at Tallaredneck some dude got mad at some other dude and them and their fat managers scrummed in pit row." Really? Wow? Is there video? Wow.

If the dead guy's family wants a lawsuit, forget Stuart - go after the racing authorities. By being so permissive with this crap to whip up interest in the "sport," they indirectly set the stage for this idiot to intentionally run into traffic.

Reaction Score
completely disagree with everything else you said.
Remember I said that people who see criminal liability here either are unreasonable or have an axe to grind?

You wrote:
"Stewart is an immature idiot"

You fall into the "have an axe to grind" group. The jury's out on whether you fall into the other.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Here are the facts:

That's insane. Those aren't facts. Most of those are opinions.

Stewart makes no attempt to miss the guy, and even turns into him a little.

Other drivers had no problem missing the guy.

When there's a wreck on top, you drop the to the bottom.

I don't care one lick about Stewart one way or the other.

And I agree the guy walking on the track is an idiot.

We'll see what NASCAR has to say about the vehicular manslaughter.

Last edited:

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
That's insane.

Stewart makes no attempt to miss the guy, and even turns into him a little.

Other drivers had no problem missing the guy.

When there's a wreck on top, you drop the to the bottom.

And I agree the guy walking on the track is an idiot.
I've watched it and I'm by no means a Stewart fan but he did not try to hit him. He definitely gave the car an Kid thrust as he passed and it looks like it made the rear kick out. But there's no way he was trying to hit him. If you want to hit someone with your car, you use the front, not a rear tire.

As for other drivers missing him, you can see the 45 car in front of him having to take pretty severe action to miss him and it's also very likely that the kid was way closer to Stewart's car than anyone else as that is the guy he was trying to confront.

Pretty easy to fix this going forward. Stay in your car until safety crews allow you to exit (unless it's on fire).

You'll see this rule next year in NASCAR.

Reaction Score
Remember I said that people who see criminal liability here either are unreasonable or have an axe to grind?

You wrote:
"Stewart is an immature idiot"

You fall into the "have an axe to grind" group. The jury's out on whether you fall into the other.
I promise you I don't have an axe to grind, have you not watched Stewart's actions over the years? I could care less about Nascar and don't watch it but I'm well aware of his behavior over the years and it's pretty well known the guy has acted like an immature idiot many times in the past.

Reaction Score
Strummer, not trying to be a jerk but you need to learn what a fact is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom