OT: So, what's the meaning of your handle on The Boneyard? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: So, what's the meaning of your handle on The Boneyard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Long ago, I participated in a bulletin board that was quite contentious and nasty (not sports related). I wanted to choose a screen name befitting that environment.

A Bestiarius is a person in the Roman gladiator days that went into combat with beasts. Appropriate to the low life that participated in that group. When I first joined this forum, there was quite a bit of jousting here and I decided to resurrect the old name. Some day, my Bestiarius skills might come in handy considering all the bears that frequent this site.

Lately, I've been embarrassed to use this handle against the likes of Leghorn chickens and vegetables like artichokes. No self respecting Bestiarius would enter into such combat.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Likewise fairly obvious. I am a Rutgers fan who moved to Arizona from NJ 3 1/2 years ago; bridge to convey the connection.

Or, as times change, on the bridge between Rutgers and [University of] Arizona, as I donate to both and root for sports teams from both schools. So long as CVS is at RU, RU WBB will be my favorite sport; as long as they don't compete it is indeed possible to root for both.

T

TroyHouse66

What's in a name? I think it's pretty straightforward in my case; my name is actually Alex, the RG stands for my hyphenated last name, and I live in CT. HuskyNan's is also straightforward. Assuming JS's initials truly are JS, there we would have it in his case. However, not everyone is obvious:

• Icebear- he's neither icy nor a bear. In fact, he's a man of the cloth. Please elaborate.
  • Ocoandasoc- A what and a what now???
  • J66Kicker- can he be relied upon to hit field goals and wear the number 66?
  • Calpedaler- Pedaling what? A bicycle? Contraband? Cals?
These are just some examples. What inspired you to call yourself what you do on a message board, and what does it all mean?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Mine is extremely convoluted, mysterious and actually top secret... ;)

Seriously, my name is Eric and I live in San Diego. Way boring compared to a lot of the clever names some of you have come up with...

T

TroyHouse66

Troy House - West Campus
66 - 1966
The year I transferred up from the Hartford Branch... ran out of science classes. I'd been up to the House on weekends, to scope it out, when it was located almost across from the Jungle.
A tribute to Ma Giorgi, our house mother, who had long reigned at Sigma Nu (Alpha) [successor to SN Epsilon Phi], before they were oft suspended and, then, lost the SN(A) charter. Ma ruled with a Teutonic hand, but no force from outside the House menaced her boys.
I've always felt "Animal House" (1978) might have been based on Troy House. The characters, if not exactly the same, were vivid individuals. Bikers, baseball lettermen, varsity wrestlers, 3.85-cube engineers, psychotics, and (mostly) first-in-the-family collegians.

Reaction Score
Lived in San Francisco Bay Area, although now I live in Las Vegas...... you see, Uconn over-the-top folks are omnipresent!!!! and located everywhere as well :)

I look forward to meeting some fellow Boneyarders in Istanbul !!

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Lived in San Francisco Bay Area, although now I live in Las Vegas. /QUOTE]

Me too. But I moved to a Tahoe, then Reno. Thought about changing to NVhusky but decided against it.

Reaction Score
Being less than a genius, I latched onto the first thing that came to mind when I discovered I needed to register in order to post (of course I could have stopped this sentence after the comma and been highly accurate but then I'd have been left with a sentence fragment as well as unresponsive to the question). The Uconn part I just pulled out of my...somewhere. I deliberately chose to capitalize the "R" and "U" because I'm a Rutgers alum (also Maryland).

My avatar is Rollo the Viking, the first Norman and, according to the internet so I know it has to be true, my 34th great-grandfather.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Alex, it is easy.

The family name was esbjorn (it appears to have lost the "j" at immigration in Boston) which is breaks down to "es" or "is" which is ice among a number Scandinavian languages or dialects and bjorn is bear. Thus ice+bear and the family connection to the great white killing machines of the north.

Reaction Score
Like TroyHouse66, I thought Theta Xi, my fraternity from 68-71, was the idea for Animal House. We were affectionately known as ThetaZoo and had a mishmash of people - jocks, smart jocks, really smart jocks, Judy Collins' fans, potheads. On the earliest board (98-99?) I lurked as VAHoops which was a combo of where I lived at the time (Alexandria, VA) and my fraternity nickname.

Reaction Score
Another boring one. My first name + my last initial + the street number of the house I grew up in.

Reaction Score
HiDribble in honor of my favorite player, Diana Taurasi. I can still see her bringing the ball up the court with an exaggerated dribble just daring her opponent to try and steal it.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Because I am from Chicago, transplanted first to Massachusetts and now 20 years in CT, "rooting" all those 20 for UCWBB....

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I was just thinking of asking this a couple days ago. Guess I shoulda went with it.

Well mine has nothing to do with my name, first, last or middle. When I first started on the "Internet" I had heard stories about everybody stealing people's identity (as if anyone would want mine :cool:), so had to come up with something without my actual name in it so no one could trace me. Anyway, meyers comes from my dad.

When he was growing up he got dumped on a lady to raise him (and his brother), his mom couldn't/wouldn't do it. This lady married (and divorced) quite frequently. When she would get a new husband my dad would get a new name (sometimes first and last names). One of the names he had (around 2nd grade) was Richard Meyers (actually found out a few years ago it was Myers but too late). A little more to it. When I was a youngin' I used to work at his store(s) (Osco, SuperX drugstores). He couldn't pay me as his son, (I guess they didn't allow relatives, besides I was 8-12), so he paid me cash as Richard Meyers (or Myers?). So when I needed a name, that's where I went.

The 7? There must be a lot of meyers out there, because I've always had to use some iteration of meyers, meyers7, 7meyers, meyers77, 7meyers7. 7 being the best number in the world, obviously.

My avatar is the crest of my favorite football (soccer) team, Arsenal (from London). Just saw them for the first time live in NY a couple weeks ago. :D I'm actually a bigger soccer fan than basketball fan. I know, hard to believe with the amount of posts I have here. :confused: (I probably need a real life.)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
My screen name reflects my hobby and main post retirement interest. I am a Civil War buff with most of my interest concentrated on the units furnished by the state of Vermont. The avatar is a photo of Pvt Harris Boyden Buxton who enlisted in the 11th VT at age 17 and died of disease at Fort Stevens a few months later.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
My handle on an earlier incarnation of the UConn WCBB site was T9. When the new site required more than just two measly characters, I chose ZaddockFuller as my handle but my keyboard was inside down at the time so it came out as HardcoreP*rn... That had it's obvious flaws so then I chose BooRadley because it's 'Sunshine' spelled backwards.

Rev Boo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak