OT: NBA SemiFinals | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: NBA SemiFinals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is what it is, btw I just tuned into the end of the NHL game and glad I did the Blackhawks scored 2 goals with 1 minute left to send it to OT.
The Blackhawks have been outplayed this series but they just don't quit, I'm not a big hockey fan but playoff hockey can be great.

Reaction Score
It is what it is, btw I just tuned into the end of the NHL game and glad I did the Blackhawks scored 2 goals with 1 minute left to send it to OT.

Blackhawks-Ducks has been awesome.

Reaction Score
Oh no worries - I never run from what I've said and what I believe. Yes, I brought race into it, because I think the animosity towards Delavedova by some of the players in the NBA is partly due to racism. I think there is some (not a lot) amount of anti-white racism in the NBA by the players.

Once again, these are your words, not mine. I think the country needs a good conversation about race. One that is temperate and unemotional, to the extent possible. One that is contemplative, and introspective. One that puts reason before anger, and progress before accusation.
Unfortunately, it seems unlikely to me that any reasonable conversation about race will occur. There are many reasons for this. One is white racists. No doubt. One is institutional racism. No doubt. But another one is what you are doing, which is attempting to stifle any implication of black racism/responsibility with the immediate accusation of "racist!". You're like Donald Sutherland in the final scene of IOTBS - you review words and look for an excuse to yell "racist! racist!" to shut down any further conversation.
The problem is this - that's an attempt to make it a one way street, where black people can freely accuse white people of being racists and misbehaving, but any attempt to point out the reverse is met with maniacal and immediate accusations of racism.

I'll pull together some numbers later and we'll see if they suggest anything.
"Anti-white racism" is an oxymoron.
Bottom line, Horford overracted and cost his team I don't think race had anything to do with it. Big guys hate having small guys near their legs. The Taj Gibson play was outside the lines but I wouldn't call it dirty. Gibson set that interaction in motion. The play with Korver was just unfortunate. I thought Horford pulled the kid off balance last night, then got mad about the result. He left the ref no choice. He is too smart of a player for that. He is human, it happens.

Reaction Score
I've preferred the NBA for awhile now but these playoffs have been pretty bad. That Hawks-Cavs game from the other night was absolutely horrible.

The Cavs are at 21-10 right now, which looks pretty appealing right now. I know the Warriors are good, but you're basically getting the best player in the world at those odds, with potentially a healthy Irving and like 4 role players that are playing great right now.
This NBA playoffs has been tough with a ton of blowouts and the constant hack a Shaq, still there is nobody more exciting in sports than Steph Curry right now. I agree with you on taking those odds, Cavs are going to be hard to beat.

Reaction Score
This is a Uconn message board and we all love college hoops here but you guys are nuts if you can't recognize the problems the game has these days, 22-20 halftime scores is not at all exciting or good basketball. The game is losing popularity and needs to make changes. Most college games are unwatchable recently.

You say I'm nuts I'm good with that. I say you're nuts watching a game where players can run after an opponent without the ball who is a crappy FT shooter and foul him on purpose without being penalized. You want a farce, you got it! For me 28-25 at halftime is good.;)

Reaction Score
http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1389232 Did you watch the Bulls series or the other games in this series? It sure looked to me like Dellavadova was doing the same sort of thing again and Horford lost his cool.

Saw the Korver incident too. Korver wasn't hustling the other guy was - you reach down rather then hitting the ground things like that can happen. Major kudo's to Della for wanting the ball more and playing the game the way you're supposed to on that one. I have not seen the Taj Gibson incident so I have no clue but anyone calling Della dirt or a punk for these 2 is blind and only sees what they want to see.

Reaction Score
How in the ____ does Horford get run for that phantom "elbow" and Dwight Howard gets a Flagrant 1 for that spinning back fist last night?

Reaction Score
How in the ____ does Horford get run for that phantom "elbow" and Dwight Howard gets a Flagrant 1 for that spinning back fist last night?

I've only seen the gif, but I'm pretty shocked he was allowed to stay in the game. And here's why the refs need to keep control of it. There was a lot of physical play going on there, but then Bogut just shoved Dwight in the back. Dwight swings around and at least slaps Bogut in the face, certainly outside of the frame of any sort of "legitimate basketball play," as the ball was going the other way at that point.

Reaction Score
That has to be an ejection, the refs are just so inconsistent with their rulings. I expect Howard to miss the next game but allowing him to stay in the game last night is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
That has to be an ejection, the refs are just so inconsistent with their rulings. I expect Howard to miss the next game but allowing him to stay in the game last night is ridiculous.
Agreed, but it could be blessing for Golden State if that happens. They probably weren't winning last night, so a home game without Howard could be smooth sailing.

Reaction Score
So, I compiled the stats for NBA punishment during this season to punish players who committed fouls during games wherein the punishment was in addition to required fines for fouls called during the game. This does not include Howard's jab into Bogut's face, which is likely to make the list. The stats speak for themselves. If these stats were in reverse, there'd be a boycott of the NBA by all of the usual interest groups. However, as I noted above, discussions of race can't occur openly or on a two way street, no matter how compelling the evidence.

SUMMARY - there were 22 single person punishments. Of those, 9 were black on white. 4 were black on biracial (1/2 black 1/2 white), 8 were black on black, and 1 was white on white. 13 of the 22 fouls/attacks were by black players on white or half white players, which is about 60% of all fouls/attacks. Black players are about 76% of the league, so, if random, you'd expect 76% of all attacks/fouls to be on black players. The actual number is 36% for this season.

CONCLUSION - there is evidence, like it or not, that white players are targeted in the NBA for fouls/attacks because of their race. Not liking it doesn't change the numbers. If you want to talk about race, it should be a two way street, and the NBA should start with an acknowledgement that guys like Delavedova get targeted because of race. Notably, no white player was punished for a unilateral attack/foul on a non-white opponent, which is probably a good career move.

5/11/15 The NBA fined Dwight Howard $15,000 for making contact above the shoulders on Matt Barnes B/(half black/half white).
5/2/15 The NBA suspended Giannis Antetokounmpo (Mil) for 1 game for shoving Mike Dunleavy B/W.
4/27/15 Suspended J.R. Smith for 2 games for hitting Jae Crowder in the face B/B.
4/27/15 Suspended Kelly Olynyk for 1 game for locking up Kevin Love W/W.
4/27/15 Fined Kendrick Perkins $15,000 and upgraded his flagrant foul on Jae Crowder to a level 2 B/B.
4/5/15 Suspended Shaun Livingston for 1 game for striking Dirk Nowitzki in the groin B/W.
3/21/15 Suspended Marcus Smart for 1 game for hitting Matt Bonner in the groin B/W.
3/14/15 Suspended Joel Freeland and Shawne Williams for 1 game for head butting each other OFFSETTING.
3/13/15 Fined Kevin Seraphin $15,000 for making excessive contact with Jon Leuer B/W.
3/10/15 Suspended Hassan Whiteside for elbowing Kelly Olynyk B/W.
3/3/15 Fined Alex Len and Whiteside for an altercation OFFSETTING.
3/3/15 Fined Markieff Morris $15,000 for his flagrant foul on Goran Dragic B/W.
2/28/15 Suspended Festus Ezeli for 1 game for initiating an altercation with Tyler Hansbrough B/W.
2/7/15 Suspended Kendrick Perkins for 1 game for head butting Tyreke Evans B/B.
2/5/15 Fined DeMar DeRozan $15,000 for excessive contact with Bojan Bogdanovic B/W.
1/13/15 The Suspended Kevin Garnett for 1 game and fined Dwight Howard $15,000 B/B.
12/26/14 Suspended Quincy Acy and fined John Wall $15,000 B/B.
12/22/14 Fined Samuel Dalembert $15,000 for elbowing Jonas Valanciunas B/W.
12/18/14 Suspended Larry Sanders for 1 game for pushing Nicolas Batum B/(half black/half white).
12/4/14 Fined Kyle O'Quinn $15,000 for his flagrant foul on Blake Griffin B/(half black/half white).
12/2/14 Fined Aaron Afflalo $15,000 for his foul on Alec Burks B/B.
11/13/14 Suspended Ronnie Price for flagrant foul on Austin Rivers B/(half black/half white).
11/8/14 Suspended Darrell Arthur for shoving Dion Waiters B/B.
11/5/14 Suspended J.R. Smith for striking Glen Rice B/B.
10/8/14 Joakim Noah and Paul Pierce were fined for altercation. OFFSETTING.

25 total.

22 single actor (Blacks are about 76% of the leauge. Whites, about 19%).

Black on Black - 8.
Black on Biracial (half white) - 4
Black on White - 9
White on Black - 0
White on White - 1

Interesting final note - if you include the 3 bilateral altercations, then whites or half white players were involved in 17 out of 25 of these incidents, or 68%, whereas they comprise no more than 24% of the league.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So, I compiled the stats for NBA punishment during this season to punish players who committed fouls during games wherein the punishment was in addition to required fines for fouls called during the game. This does not include Howard's jab into Bogut's face, which is likely to make the list. The stats speak for themselves. If these stats were in reverse, there'd be a boycott of the NBA by all of the usual interest groups. However, as I noted above, discussions of race can't occur openly or on a two way street, no matter how compelling the evidence.

SUMMARY - there were 22 single person punishments. Of those, 9 were black on white. 4 were black on biracial (1/2 black 1/2 white), 8 were black on black, and 1 was white on white. 13 of the 22 fouls/attacks were by black players on white or half white players, which is about 60% of all fouls/attacks. Black players are about 76% of the league, so, if random, you'd expect 76% of all attacks/fouls to be on black players. The actual number is 36% for this season.

CONCLUSION - there is evidence, like it or not, that white players are targeted in the NBA for fouls/attacks because of their race. Not liking it doesn't change the numbers. If you want to talk about race, it should be a two way street, and the NBA should start with an acknowledgement that guys like Delavedova get targeted because of race. Notably, no white player was punished for a unilateral attack/foul on a non-white opponent, which is probably a good career move.

5/11/15 The NBA fined Dwight Howard $15,000 for making contact above the shoulders on Matt Barnes B/(half black/half white).
5/2/15 The NBA suspended Giannis Antetokounmpo (Mil) for 1 game for shoving Mike Dunleavy B/W.
4/27/15 Suspended J.R. Smith for 2 games for hitting Jae Crowder in the face B/B.
4/27/15 Fined Kendrick Perkins $15,000 and upgraded his flagrant foul on Jae Crowder to a level 2 B/B.
4/5/15 Suspended Shaun Livingston for 1 game for striking Dirk Nowitzki in the groin B/W.
3/21/15 Suspended Marcus Smart for 1 game for hitting Matt Bonner in the groin B/W.
3/14/15 Suspended Joel Freeland and Shawne Williams for 1 game for head butting each other OFFSETTING.
3/13/15 Fined Kevin Seraphin $15,000 for making excessive contact with Jon Leuer B/W.
2/28/15 Suspended Festus Ezeli for 1 game for initiating an altercation with Tyler Hansbrough B/W.
2/5/15 Fined DeMar DeRozan $15,000 for excessive contact with Bojan Bogdanovic B/W.
1/13/15 The Suspended Kevin Garnett for 1 game and fined Dwight Howard $15,000 B/B.
12/18/14 Suspended Larry Sanders for 1 game for pushing Nicolas Batum B/(half black/half white).
12/4/14 Fined Kyle O'Quinn $15,000 for his flagrant foul on Blake Griffin B/(half black/half white).
11/13/14 Suspended Ronnie Price for flagrant foul on Austin Rivers B/(half black/half white).

25 total.

Black on Black - 8.
Black on White - 9
White on Black - 0
White on White - 1
@TasteofUConn: Just stop with the race discussion. This thread is about the NBA playoffs and you're derailing it with cesspool drivel.

Let's get back to discussion about the actual games and players.

Reaction Score
Let's get back to discussion about the actual games and players.
Thought a guy calling Delavadova a "dirty" player was talking about the players and games. No? Shame on me for answering the charge of "dirty" with the actual cause for the appellation.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Poster on that linked site "Real GM" stated about Dellavedova on that play: "He gathers his feet and lunges for Horford sideways knowing he is only going to hit his knee or ankles.

Watch him push off both he feet. He could have stumbled down but chose to lunge at Horford."
No-one other than the player himself can say his motivation ( & the comment about race is ridiculous), but I watched the replay multiple times and he did replant his feet and lunge in the direction of Horford.

On other plays he does seem to throw his body into the fray with reckless abandon, which is the problem. I don't believe that he is deliberately trying to injure players but his actions on the court are reckless and have resulted in injuries.

Reaction Score
Complete domination by Cleveland, the scary thing is they are peaking right now, GS is the best team but if they aren't sharp in the Finals the Cavs can absolutely beat them.

Reaction Score

25 total.

Black on Black - 8.
Black on White - 9
White on Black - 0
White on White - 1

Interesting final note - if you include the 3 bilateral altercations, then whites or half white players were involved in 17 out of 25 of these incidents, or 68%, whereas they comprise no more than 24% of the league.
I feel sorry for you.

Reaction Score
Complete domination by Cleveland, the scary thing is they are peaking right now, GS is the best team but if they aren't sharp in the Finals the Cavs can absolutely beat them.
I'm taking the Cavs. They have the best player in the world, Kyrie is back, Thompson is a rebounding freak and they have a bunch of shooters on the wing. They are also significantly bigger than the Warriors.

Reaction Score
The NBA is my favorite league/sport but this is the worst playoffs in recent memory, the only memorable series we've had so far is SA/LAC. Hopefully we get a classic Finals after suffering through this.

Reaction Score
The NBA is my favorite league/sport but this is the worst playoffs in recent memory, the only memorable series we've had so far is SA/LAC. Hopefully we get a classic Finals after suffering through this.
I respect your basketball knowledge, what's your take on the finals matchup?

Reaction Score
I respect your basketball knowledge, what's your take on the finals matchup?

I predict GS will win the Finals in 6 games but I'm starting to lean toward Cleveland so I might change my pick. Lebron has a look from him that I have never seen before, having won a championship before he doesn't think he can lead this team toward a title he knows he can. The Cavs will have a healthy Kyrie Irving, JR Smith might be an idiot but he is talented as hell, as a 3rd option he will make you pay, Shump and Delladova are very good defenders and their are getting more confident on offense (Lebron can do that to you). Thompson and Mosgov are absolute beasts on the board. David Blatt has gotten more and more comfortable coaching the NBA game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I predict GS will win the Finals in 6 games but I'm starting to lean toward Cleveland so I might change my pick. Lebron has a look from him that I have never seen before, having won a championship before he doesn't think he can lead this team toward a title he knows he can. The Cavs will have a healthy Kyrie Irving, JR Smith might be an idiot but he is talented as hell, as a 3rd option he will make you pay, Shump and Delladova are very good defenders and their are getting more confident on offense (Lebron can do that to you). Thompson and Mosgov are absolute beasts on the board. David Blatt has gotten more and more comfortable coaching the NBA game.
Good points, one thing the Warriors have going for them besides they are really good and have home court is that they have good options to guard Lebron. Nobody can come close to stopping him but Klay, Draymond, Harrison Barnes and Iguadola would probably be in my top 20 guys in the league to guard him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom