OT: NBA SemiFinals | The Boneyard

OT: NBA SemiFinals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
OK yes, I'm an NBA post season fan. Curry is amazing on the big stage he is just phenomenal. Reminds me of his college days, and by the way the longer he plays NBA ball the more the players will be similar or less than his college competition. In other words he is approaching his college performances.

Harden and crew ain't going away either. For some reason I'm liking Houston, but hard to go against Curry and Crew. You would think Howard would be unstoppable this series.

Anyway Curry's a baller personified.

Hope for the same excitement tonight with Cavs/Hawks.

Reaction Score
I agree love watching Curry and impossible not to root for him. His heat check plays are the most entertaining thing in the NBA right now. However, I do think this year's playoffs have been lackluster to this point, mostly due to so many injuries. And the fouling thing has overly dominated the conversation.

Only the Clippers-San Antonio-Houston series were great (SA) & truly contested (both), almost everything else has been decided by injuries (Bulls, Wizards, Memphis, & glaring absence of Thunder). I think it'll continue to be 'eh' unless LeBron somehow ascends to total Jordan-esque dominance (and if Irving stays hobbled he's nothing near the supporting cast Jordan had), and its a slog towards crowning the Warriors.

Reaction Score
Yesterday's game was fascinating. It may have been the first NBA game I've ever seen where both teams played without a center for long stretches of time. It was truly "small-ball" and speaks to the personnel on each roster, and also each organization embracing the analytics movement. Though I imagine Howard, and subsequently Bogut, would've been on the floor had he been healthy. If anyone is interested, here is a preview I wrote about the series prior to yesterday's game.

Warriors-Rockets should be a fun series, though I'd have to think Golden State is the prohibitive favorite, especially if Howard misses any more time. In the East, I'd expect the Cavs to take the series as the Hawks have looked fairly lackluster in their march to the ECF. Still, when the Hawks are on, they play beautiful basketball reminiscent of the Spurs, albeit without the same level of talent. A Golden State-Cleveland Finals would be a ton of fun to watch.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't count Atlanta out they don't wow you but they don't beat themselves, the are reminiscent of the Spurs/04 Pistons, don't have a superstar but have outstanding role players that can wear down teams, this is their best shot this year to get it done.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Harden and crew ain't going away either. For some reason I'm liking Houston, but hard to go against Curry and Crew. You would think Howard would be unstoppable this series.
Don't underestimate how good Bogut is defensively.

Reaction Score
I don't think Houston can play Golden State any better than they did. The Warriors are the best team in the league, they have dominated the league quite honestly. The only reason people aren't handing them the trophy is because they haven't been good for long enough. There is no reason to think anyone can stop them.

Reaction Score
I agree love watching Curry and impossible not to root for him. His heat check plays are the most entertaining thing in the NBA right now. However, I do think this year's playoffs have been lackluster to this point, mostly due to so many injuries. And the fouling thing has overly dominated the conversation.

Only the Clippers-San Antonio-Houston series were great (SA) & truly contested (both), almost everything else has been decided by injuries (Bulls, Wizards, Memphis, & glaring absence of Thunder). I think it'll continue to be 'eh' unless LeBron somehow ascends to total Jordan-esque dominance (and if Irving stays hobbled he's nothing near the supporting cast Jordan had), and its a slog towards crowning the Warriors.

Completely agree. You go down the list and there are more teams than not with a key player either ailing or not playing at all.

Dallas - Chandler Parsons
Houston - Beverly & Montiejunas
Portland - Wes Matthews, Aldridge playing with a broken hand
NO - Jrue Holiday
Memphis - Tony Allen
San Antonio - Splitter/Parker (I'm assuming he was injured, either that or he's washed up)
OKC - Durant/Ibaka
Cleveland - Love/Irving
Washington - Wall
Atlanta - Sefolosha
Chicago - Gasol/Noah
Milwaukee - Parker
Miami - Bosh

The sheer carnage that has resulted from the NBA's long regular season have made the postseason less competitive than it could be, IMO. On the other hand, credit the NBA for getting to the point where the talent pool is deep enough that a team losing even their third or fourth most important player is enough to send them into a tailspin, but moving forward, I think it's imperative that the league try to find a way to ensure that these great players are available in the biggest games.

Reaction Score
Wow Atlanta won their division and were underdogs against Cleveland (i.e. Lebron). Now I see why, although its early.

That Atlanta player injury may make the difference in the series if he doesn't recover. Also makes one 2nd guess the KLove decision.

Reaction Score
Wow Atlanta won their division and were underdogs against Cleveland (i.e. Lebron). Now I see why, although its early.

That Atlanta player injury may make the difference in the series if he doesn't recover. Also makes one 2nd guess the KLove decision.

They have looked vulnerable for awhile now.

Reaction Score
There are a ton of injuries right now but I'm not sure you can blame the 82 game regular season because it has been that length for as long as I can remember. It is strange that there are so many injuries right now with better nutrition, drugs, eons easier travel and more scientific training. Its either just bad coincidence or the aforementioned advances have had the effect of elevating the level of physicality required and therefore players have to constantly be in such peak condition that they are breaking down. Little of both I'd say.

Now add Carroll to champs' list. Houston will throw some brief doubt on the proceedings, but Golden State is both the best team and the least injured. Don't want to jinx them, but their odds are now better than Kentucky's were because Steve Kerr > Squid

Reaction Score
Dallas - Chandler Parsons
Houston - Beverly & Montiejunas
Portland - Wes Matthews, Aldridge playing with a broken hand
NO - Jrue Holiday
Memphis - Tony Allen
San Antonio - Splitter/Parker (I'm assuming he was injured, either that or he's washed up)
OKC - Durant/Ibaka
Cleveland - Love/Irving
Washington - Wall
Atlanta - Sefolosha
Chicago - Gasol/Noah
Milwaukee - Parker
Miami - Bosh
You forgot Mike Conley's broken face! A couple stretches on that list, but certainly all of the possible title contenders that have gone out to this point can attribute it directly to injury (SA, Ptld, Memphis, Chicago, OKC and now Atlanta even though I'm with the masses in thinking even with Sefolosha & Carroll ATL was never going to be NBA champs).

Reaction Score
You forgot Mike Conley's broken face! A couple stretches on that list, but certainly all of the possible title contenders that have gone out to this point can attribute it directly to injury (SA, Ptld, Memphis, Chicago, OKC and now Atlanta even though I'm with the masses in thinking even with Sefolosha & Carroll ATL was never going to be NBA champs).

Yeah, I didn't intend to insinuate that all of those teams were title contenders, just that it was impossible for them to reach their ceiling without meaningful contributions from injured players. Good call on Conley, I had forgotten about him, and now last night right after I make that post Carroll goes down.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I didn't intend to insinuate that all of those teams were title contenders, just that it was impossible for them to reach their ceiling without meaningful contributions from injured players. Good call on Conley, I had forgotten about him, and now last night right after I make that post Carroll goes down.
Its both a massive injury impact on who can/will win the title and an even greater impact on quality of the playoffs due to every single team save Golden State missing a key piece.

Reaction Score
Its both a massive injury impact on who can/will win the title and an even greater impact on quality of the playoffs due to every single team save Golden State missing a key piece.
At this point a fitting end would be LeBron goes down in game 1 of finals and the West (anti-jinx) closes it out in 4 games decided by a cumulative 100pts.

Reaction Score
I'm curious as to how you believe the two are connected, if, by "KLove decision," you mean the decision to trade Wiggins for him.
I think the decision to bring KLove in was brilliant. Wiggins was untested, and it was unclear how he'd play in the NBA and with LeBron. With Love, you got a guy who is a high % 3PT shooter to spread the floor for James, a guy who can rebound 10 a game, and a guy with a passable inside game for mismatches. As it turned out, Love is not much of a team player, was overly concerned with his touches, and didn't find/accept a role on the Cavs as it was hoped he would. Even with that, however, the Cavs were playing great ball, and Love was a solid contributor. With Love, the Cavs are the favorites to win it all. Not sure how keeping Wiggins would have changed that substantially in the positive direction.

Reaction Score
alfonse said:
That would cause people to lost lots of money(including the players) doubt that is even on the table

It's been on the table for years.

Reaction Score

With Love, the Cavs would be the favorites to win it all. They're virtually unguardable when he's on the floor with LeBron and a healthy Irving. Plus he's a monster on the boards and starts the fast break. Even without him, I still like their chances. Assuming he re-signs with Cleveland, they will be the prohibitive favorite next year when they can put Tristan Thompson back on the bench and have him in their 2nd unit.

Reaction Score
I'm curious as to how you believe the two are connected, if, by "KLove decision," you mean the decision to trade Wiggins for him.
I think the decision to bring KLove in was brilliant. Wiggins was untested, and it was unclear how he'd play in the NBA and with LeBron. With Love, you got a guy who is a high % 3PT shooter to spread the floor for James, a guy who can rebound 10 a game, and a guy with a passable inside game for mismatches. As it turned out, Love is not much of a team player, was overly concerned with his touches, and didn't find/accept a role on the Cavs as it was hoped he would. Even with that, however, the Cavs were playing great ball, and Love was a solid contributor. With Love, the Cavs are the favorites to win it all. Not sure how keeping Wiggins would have changed that substantially in the positive direction.
The way it turns out it was a really bad trade, Love has never fit in and will be gone this summer, the Cavs actually look better with Tristan Thompson and Wiggins is a stud. Thompson has made himself a ton of money with his performance this playoffs.

Reaction Score
The way it turns out it was a really bad trade, Love has never fit in and will be gone this summer, the Cavs actually look better with Tristan Thompson and Wiggins is a stud. Thompson has made himself a ton of money with his performance this playoffs.

Thompson is an extremely good player but Love brings a different element to their team. It's so much easier for them to create offense when Love is on the floor. They haven't fully figured out how to utilize Love yet and he still gave them around 18/10 this year.. from your 3rd best player, 18/10 are great numbers. And more importantly, he spaces the floor for them. You can't leave him open anywhere on the floor so it gets infinitely easier for LeBron and Kyrie to get into the lane and create havoc. Like I said, they may be good enough anyway, but with Love you simply cannot guard them. Then you can bring in Thompson in with the 2nd unit and not lose anything in your rebounding.
Wiggins may end up being great, but he can't make the shots that JR Smith can right now. With Wiggins, they don't advance last round, let alone win that game last night with Irving being hurt. Cavs are trying to win NOW.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
LeBron seems driven, determined, confident, and looks extremely aggressive right now. I dont think he will let his team lose a 7 game series right now. I actually like the current peices they have around him too they can go small because Lebron can defend the 4 and thompson can guard the 5. Which makes for a lethal offense with Lebron, 3 shooters spacing the floor, and one of the best offensive rebounders in the league down low.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
The way it turns out it was a really bad trade, Love has never fit in and will be gone this summer, the Cavs actually look better with Tristan Thompson.
You're one of my favorite posters here, but you couldn't be more wrong about all of the above:

CLICK ME

The Cavs were steamrolling teams offensively once they made those mid-season trades, and once LeBron got healthy. Love's ability to space the floor was a big reason why. The fact that they're still doing well is a testament to Thompson's relentlessness on the boards (you're right that he's made himself a lot of money) and good performances from everyone else, but Love's presence had them playing at another level.

FWIW, most Cavs fans expect him to be back next year. And if they lose him, they'll immediately go out and try to replay him with a Kevin Love-light option like Channing Frye or Ersan Ilyasova.

As a Dubs fan I was terrified of the full-strength Cavs. Without Love, I think we'll sweep.

Reaction Score
I apologize. I didn't realize you were a Cavs/LeBron hater when we started talking. My mistake.
Regarding "as it turns out." Yeah. Definitely. Dude got his shoulder damaged on a freak play and he's gone for the year, so, as it turns out, trading Wiggins for Prime of His Career Michael Jordan would have been a bad trade if you factor in the season ending injury.
Love was fitting in - just not as quickly or as completely as hoped (and he seems like a bit of a non-team player) - more importantly, the Cavs were steamrolling people.
Cavs DO NOT look better with TT versus Love. TT is a poor man's Rodman, true, and I love his game. But he gives zero offense, and, therefore, he clogs the middle for Irving and LeBron, both of whom are slashers. Love allowed the Cavs to pull a big man out to the 3 line and plant him there.
Wiggins had a very good 1st year, but he's no "stud" yet and he certainly did not have a better year than Love.
LOVE - 10 boards, 2 assists, 16 pts as 3rd option (37% from 3) in about 3 fewer minutes a game.
WIGGINS - 5 boards 2, assists 16 pts as 1st or 2nd option (31% from 3). Wigggins had a low efficiency % - give the kid a couple of years before crowning him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom