OT: Brady out for 4 and Pats lose a first round pick. Nm | Page 19 | The Boneyard

OT: Brady out for 4 and Pats lose a first round pick. Nm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Wells never wanted the phone and said that Brady cooperated (source: Wells Report). Goodell said after the fact that Brady didn't fully cooperate. Written word beat spoken every day of the week, especially if the report is supposed to be "independent (it wasn't but still...)." Brady was also advised not to give up the phone, but he did make the records available as Wells asked (source: appeal testimony under oath). They just were not in the form Goodell preferred. Goodell chose not to follow up, claiming impracticality. On the other hand, Wells got paid between $2.5 - 3 million and Xponent got $600,000 over 7 months for a prosecution's (persecution??) report, so where it become impractical is only in Goodell's head.

Brady is a rich and famous man. His wife is even more rich and famous. That cellphone is worth a significant amount of money to TMZ, News Corp., or the National Inquirer, and is priceless to an identity thief. Optics were bad, but the NFL had already demonstrated it cannot contain leaks, and Brady is protected by a union and precedent (Favre never gave up his phone), so Brady is justified in what he did. He is under no obligation to set himself up for the NFL.

I make significant less money than Tom Brady and not at all famous. I've reset each one of my old phones to factory settings and disposed of them every single time I upgrade. I must be guilt of some sort of crime too, right?

Reaction Score
Yes, all a huge conspiracy against the Patriots and the poster boy for the NFL.
Well the NFL's actions seem to support this notion. At the end of the day the Brady is just an employee and the Patriots are just 1 of 32. I think the fact no other QB has spoken against Brady while numerous owners have is also telling.

Reaction Score
Husky25 said:
Wells never wanted the phone and said that Brady cooperated (source: Wells Report). Goodell said after the fact that Brady didn't fully cooperate. Written word beat spoken every day of the week, especially if the report is supposed to be "independent (it wasn't but still...)." Brady was also advised not to give up the phone, but he did make the records available as Wells asked (source: appeal testimony under oath). They just were not in the form Goodell preferred. Goodell chose not to follow up, claiming impracticality. On the other hand, Wells got paid between $2.5 - 3 million and Xponent got $600,000 over 7 months for a prosecution's (persecution??) report, so where it become impractical is only in Goodell's head.

Brady is a rich and famous man. His wife is even more rich and famous. That cellphone is worth a significant amount of money to TMZ, News Corp., or the National Inquirer, and is priceless to an identity thief. Optics were bad, but the NFL had already demonstrated it cannot contain leaks, and Brady is protected by a union and precedent (Favre never gave up his phone), so Brady is justified in what he did. He is under no obligation to set himself up for the NFL.

I make significant less money than Tom Brady and not at all famous. I've reset each one of my old phones to factory settings and disposed of them every single time I upgrade. I must be guilt of some sort of crime too, right?

I don't blame brady at all for destroying his phone. If I was as famous as he is, I would probably be incineration my phone monthly.

Reaction Score
FartMan69 said:
Well the NFL's actions seem to support this notion. At the end of the day the Brady is just an employee and the Patriots are just 1 of 32. I think the fact no other QB has spoken against Brady while numerous owners have is also telling.

Holy. Cow.

Reaction Score
FartMan69 said:
Excellent response you have changed my mind.

I don't think your mind is going to be changed if you think it is a conspiracy. I understand arguments that people think punishment is severe. I understand arguments about the psi science. I do not understand the conspiracy argument.

Reaction Score
Just a regular guy here and no way I would give up my cell phone which has so much of my life's information on it. Now you think of Brady and his celebrity along with his wife and everything of his private life on his phone and you would trust the NFL to keep it private. Leaks happen and he would be big game for somebody with intentions of cashing in. Anybody saying he should have given his phone up to prove his innocence here is wrong. It's not like he is charged with a crime here.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="huskysupporter, post: 1386787, member: 913"I understand arguments about the psi science. I do not understand the conspiracy argument.[/QUOTE]
It's natural to speculate conspiracy given the complete lack of evidence and independence, coupled with blatant lying by the NFL.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Still trying to figure out why Kraft accepted penalties if nobody did anything.
He accepted the penalties in return for Belichick's exoneration. In other words, he hung Brady out to dry.

Husky25

Reaction Score
He accepted the penalties in return for Belichick's exoneration. In other words, he hung Brady out to dry.
The "Independent" Wells Report exonerated the team and coach. The NFL punished them anyway. Good optics, as baseless as they were.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
If I remember, the suspension will save him $2millon in salary; the club penalty $1million?

Cynical way to look at it. If he's stuck with the club taking a penalty that he cannot easily refute, go all in to help pay for it. Even if Brady gets the suspension to 2 games, still a club financial net zero?

So be pissed and work behind the scenes on what he can influence while still appearing to toe the ownership line?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
This whole situation reminds me of the 1975 movie "Rollerball" with James Caan. In the movie, the league decides to take down the games' biggest star.

Reaction Score
But he did give up a draft pick, yes? And that is no small thing in the NFL.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Sounds like we need a recap for those getting too wrapped up in the news cycle:

1. Brady likes minimally inflated footballs.
2. The equipment guys follow Brady's orders to prepare the balls at or just below the minimum psi. Nothing ridiculous, half pound plus or minus.
3. Every QB has his teams footballs prepared to his liking and the NFL hasn't given a rip until now. They took the FB prep away from the kickers, but no one else.
4. This investigation is based solely on a complaint from another team with an agenda.
5. There was one FB that was ridiculously out of spec and the rest were close enough as the NFL couldn't say what the readings were or what gauges they used.
6. Goodell needed a win (won't get it) and once again went nuclear on a situation that didn't need it.
7. This offense is a subject to a fine only.
8. The NFL needs to change their rules regarding custody and prep of footballs if they really care about this.
9. The sideshow is the making of the NFL and it's gossip column media partners.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This whole situation reminds me of the 1975 movie "Rollerball" with James Caan. In the movie, the league decides to take down the games' biggest star.

I've been making the case that Goodell is the real-life John Houseman from Rollerball.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
His statement is that he did it to protect Brady. I agree that it was a mistake, particularly so in retrospect.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Starting to find out why Brady destroys phones every four months...for his sake I hope his wife knew about this before yesterday or it was probably a little chilly leading into his big hearing today.

http://pagesix.com/2015/08/11/ex-affleck-nanny-took-private-jet-to-vegas-with-ben-and-tom-brady/

Position - Backup Tight End...

So you've expanded your sources of sports news to Page Six?

According to:
Stephen BrownVerified account
@PPVSRB
Manhattan Federal Court reporter @nydailynews.

It's currently not going well for the NFL.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Stephen Brown ‏@PPVSRB 5m5 minutes ago Massapequa Park, NY
Berman: From legal perspective: "You have to show that conspirators intended to be in the conspiracy...Is there a meeting?"

Stephen Brown ‏@PPVSRB 3m3 minutes ago Massapequa Park, NY
Berman: "I’m not sure where the 'gate' (in #DeflateGate) comes from. The Wells Report and the award relates only to one game."

Stephen Brown ‏@PPVSRB 2m2 minutes ago Massapequa Park, NY
Berman: "What is the evidence of a scheme or conspiracy that covers the Jan. 15 game? I’m having trouble finding it."

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
4. This investigation is based solely on a complaint from another team with an agenda.
5. There was one FB that was ridiculously out of spec and the rest were close enough

Which was coincidentally the only ball that was handled by the opposing team and non-referee related NFL personnel. Weird.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Bonehead said:
Starting to find out why Brady destroys phones every four months...for his sake I hope his wife knew about this before yesterday or it was probably a little chilly leading into his big hearing today.

http://pagesix.com/2015/08/11/ex-affleck-nanny-took-private-jet-to-vegas-with-ben-and-tom-brady/

Position - Backup Tight End...

You didn't need that. The emails about him and Peyton Manning were all the proof anyone needs that anything on the phone would have been made public regardless of how uninteresting it was.

Ooooh, TB is competitive with and compares itself to Manning. Dog bites man totally worthy of the ESPN car wash hype machine treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom