OT: Brady out for 4 and Pats lose a first round pick. Nm | Page 20 | The Boneyard

OT: Brady out for 4 and Pats lose a first round pick. Nm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
You didn't need that. The emails about him and Peyton Manning were all the proof anyone needs that anything on the phone would have been made public regardless of how uninteresting it was.

Ooooh, TB is competitive with and compares itself to Manning. Dog bites man totally worthy of the ESPN car wash hype machine treatment.

Helping your friend cheat on his wife is a bit different than being competitive with Peyton - according to my wife the Pats fan.

The off field news with Pats has been phenomenal the last couple of years...going to miss it when it gets cleaned up.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You didn't need that. The emails about him and Peyton Manning were all the proof anyone needs that anything on the phone would have been made public regardless of how uninteresting it was.Ooooh, TB is competitive with and compares itself to Manning. Dog bites man totally worthy of the ESPN car wash hype machine treatment.

LMAO. Apropos quote:

There is nothing in there that doesn’t make him out to be a better human being than even the most motivated, starry-eyed fanboy thought he was. ....But the bottom line is that in that entire document dump, there’s not one negative, un-PC, off-color, sexist, dirty or even off-color comment. Who among us can say the same thing.

Imagine having the contents of your phone made public. Anyone on this forum would be lynched.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Helping your friend cheat on his wife is a bit different than being competitive with Peyton - according to my wife the Pats fan.

How did he "help" his friend cheat? By getting picked up on someone else's private plane?

How do you know Affleck even let him in on it?

Bonehead

Reaction Score
How did he "help" his friend cheat? By getting picked up on someone else's private plane?

How do you know Affleck even let him in on it?
Are you married?

He didn't prevent it, so he helped...you must think like a woman on this most likely, to understand fully.
The nanny is on the plane and the kids are not...come on...Now Tom Brady is stupid too?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Unconfirmed reports from Manhattan have Brady leaving the courthouse with a bleeding cut on his lower lip. When asked about it, he said he was biting down so hard he broke the skin. When asked why he bit his lip, he said to keep from laughing.

In an unrelated event, Roger Goodell was seen entering the CVS on the corner to address an apparent incontinence issue.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Are you married?

He didn't prevent it, so he helped...you must think like a woman on this most likely, to understand fully.
The nanny is on the plane and the kids are not...come on...Now Tom Brady is stupid too?

Wait, wait, wait....are you supposed to step into other peoples marriages when you find something out that isn't even your business? Do you actually do that?

There were a bunch of other Affleck-Garner entourage on the flight too. I guess they 'helped' as well?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Just heard on WEEI (Mike McCann, Sports Illustrated) that the NFL's best strategy is to get the Judge away from focusing on the facts and 1) toward Article 46 of the CBA, and 2) Supreme Court orders deference to "arbiter's" ruling.

I'm not a lawyer (but there is a law portion of the CPA exam), but I'd think the NFLPA could argue that Goodell serving as the arbiter was not appropriate.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Wait, wait, wait....are you supposed to step into other peoples marriages when you find something out that isn't even your business? Do you actually do that?

There were a bunch of other Affleck-Garner entourage on the flight too. I guess they 'helped' as well?

I don't know what you mean by Step into - but if my best friend was 'not committed to his marriage' I would say something and I would not partake in his charade until the marriage was deemed over - in this case it was deemed over 3 days after the flight.

I don't know who else was on the flight, can you provide the names?

And no, I don't think they helped, I think they told Jen Gardner which led to the firing of the Nanny the next day and the end of the marriage according to the link, two days after that.

Are you married?

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Per USNEWS

1:10 p.m.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and lawyers for the league are meeting with a federal judge in private to discuss settlement talks in the legal dispute with New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.

Brady waited his turn Wednesday after a hearing in a Manhattan federal court.

Judge Richard Berman pressed both sides about the scandal known as "Deflategate" before shifting the hearing toward private talks.

During the hearing, the judge asked the lead attorney on Brady's side why two Patriots employees would deflate balls without Brady's knowledge.

Jeffrey L. Kessler says the players' union does not believe the balls were deflated, but, if they were, the employees believed it would help their quarterback.

Brady and Commissioner Roger Goodell didn't speak during the hearing except to introduce themselves to Berman.

___

12:50 p.m.

A federal judge has declared the public part of a hearing into the NFL's "Deflategate" scandal over, though he's meeting separately with New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to continue settlement discussions in private.

The public part of the meeting lasted more than an hour after an initial round of private meetings with each side.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Just heard on WEEI (Mike McCann, Sports Illustrated) that the NFL's best strategy is to get the Judge away from focusing on the facts and 1) toward Article 46 of the CBA, and 2) Supreme Court orders deference to "arbiter's" ruling.

I'm not a lawyer (but there is a law portion of the CPA exam), but I'd think the NFLPA could argue that Goodell serving as the arbiter was not appropriate.

Curious -

I think I know where you are coming from on this -

4 games suspension you are against completely.

If the punishment is dropped to 1 game your feeling is what? Or is it yet to be determined and dependent on what is said?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
intlzncster said:
LMAO. Apropos quote:

There is nothing in there that doesn’t make him out to be a better human being than even the most motivated, starry-eyed fanboy thought he was. ....But the bottom line is that in that entire document dump, there’s not one negative, un-PC, off-color, sexist, dirty or even off-color comment. Who among us can say the same thing.

Imagine having the contents of your phone made public. Anyone on this forum would be lynched.

I'm not sure I follow. TB gave the NFL the emails they asked about and then destroyed his phone after they said they didn't need it.

The leaks prove there is no assurance of privacy once you hand over your information. Therefore, there is no reason to turn over your personal phone to your employer. If your TB, you don't just toss the old one in the trash for TMZ to find. You wipe it and or bust it into ten pieces.

I shred my utility bills for gosh sake and no one cares about those

Bonehead

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I follow. TB gave the NFL the emails they asked about and then destroyed his phone after they said they didn't need it.

The leaks prove there is no assurance of privacy once you hand over your information. Therefore, there is no reason to turn over your personal phone to your employer. If your TB, you don't just toss the old one in the trash for TMZ to find. You wipe it and or bust it into ten pieces.

I'm confused...

He destroyed the phone after they said they didn't need it, implying that he would have turned it over if asked?

Bonehead

Reaction Score
How did Brady help? He did not set up the flight and offer a ride to the nanny. That was Afleck. Brady was just invited along part of the trip. He may not even have had knowledge the nanny would be on the flight until they stopped and picked him up en route.

The same way a person who accompanies a criminal to a crime and doesn't know it is going to happen.

Don't think like yourself, think like Giselle...if you think Giselle is good with how that went down and such we will never agree.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Bonehead said:
I'm confused...

He destroyed the phone after they said they didn't need it, implying that he would have turned it over if asked?

Two different issues.
1. Destroyed phone after the NFL said they weren't going to ask for it.

2. Destroyed phone because he's famous and people will want to get at it if given the opportunity.

Both differ from, who the heck is going to turn the contents of their phone over to anyone. I know I wouldn't.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Curious -

I think I know where you are coming from on this -

4 games suspension you are against completely.

If the punishment is dropped to 1 game your feeling is what? Or is it yet to be determined and dependent on what is said?
In my honest opinion, the punishment should be a fine, at most and if anything.

It seems like the judge is saying if there was no (or if Brady cannot be directly linked to) a "crime" that initially set things in motion, all subsequent actions would not have taken place.

It was a worst case scenario for the NFL today. The Judge focused on the basis of the punishment, not the arbitration procedure or CBA, which everyone thought going in.

It would be interesting to find out if Judge Berman did this because the NFL preemptively filed suit first to affirm their ruling, as opposed to the NFLPA responding to the appeal decision. I wonder if the NFL opened Pandora's Box on themselves.

Reaction Score

It seems like the judge is saying if there was no (or if Brady cannot be directly linked to) a "crime" that initially set things in motion, all subsequent actions would not have taken place.

It was a worst case scenario for the NFL today. The Judge focused on the basis of the punishment, not the arbitration procedure or CBA, which everyone thought going in.

It would be interesting to find out if Judge Berman did this because the NFL preemptively filed suit first to affirm their ruling, as opposed to the NFLPA responding to the appeal decision. I wonder if the NFL opened Pandora's Box on themselves.

Berman noted that Brady’s statistics were better in the second half of the Patriots’ 45-7 victory over the Indianapolis Colts in the Jan. 18 AFC championship game than in the first half, when the balls were found to have been underinflated.

‘‘You might say [Brady] got no better advantage from the underinflation,’’ the judge said.

It's possible that Brady did ask the staff to deflate the balls from time to time to give himself a disadvantage and make the game more fun. Especially when playing
comical teams like the Jets.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Berman noted that Brady’s statistics were better in the second half of the Patriots’ 45-7 victory over the Indianapolis Colts in the Jan. 18 AFC championship game than in the first half, when the balls were found to have been underinflated.

‘‘You might say [Brady] got no better advantage from the underinflation,’’ the judge said.

It's possible that Brady did ask the staff to deflate the balls from time to time to give himself a disadvantage and make the game more fun. Especially when playing
comical teams like the Jets.
That was funny.

Bonehead

Reaction Score

And the punishment of the fine is for what exactly?

I will admit 4 games is stupid for deflation - however if the 4 games is also for not being complicit during the NFL investigation that may or may not be appropriate - depending on facts (lol). I don't know if that was specified in the original ruling or not, or how that pertains back to the CBA bylaws or whatever, as well.

Husky25

Reaction Score
And the punishment of the fine is for what exactly?

I will admit 4 games is stupid for deflation - however if the 4 games is also for not being complicit during the NFL investigation that may or may not be appropriate - depending on facts (lol). I don't know if that was specified in the original ruling or not, or how that pertains back to the CBA bylaws or whatever, as well.

Brett Favre was fined $50k, if I'm not mistaken for not handing over his cell phone (with pix of his junk) which was involved in a a real life, big boy crime (s-e-x-ual harra-s-sment). This case involves under-inflating a football that cannot be proven actually happened. The fine for equipment tampering is something like $9,000.

I think the NFL can claim Integrity of Game all it wants, but from the following statements, I don't think the Judge is picking up what the NFL is putting down.

Stephen Brown @PPVSRB
Berman: Turns out Mr. Brady did better with higher inflated balls than underinflated balls. You might say he got no competitive advantage

Stephen Brown @PPVSRB
Berman: I don't know what to make of that finding Tom Brady was at least generally aware of the activities of" Mcnally, Jastremski.

Stephen Brown @PPVSRB
Berman: From legal perspective: "You have to show that conspirators intended to be in the conspiracy...Is there a meeting?"

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't know what you mean by Step into - but if my best friend was 'not committed to his marriage' I would say something and I would not partake in his charade until the marriage was deemed over - in this case it was deemed over 3 days after the flight.

I don't know who else was on the flight, can you provide the names?

And no, I don't think they helped, I think they told Jen Gardner which led to the firing of the Nanny the next day and the end of the marriage according to the link, two days after that.

Are you married?

Why do you keep asking if I'm married? Like that gives someone's opinion more weight. Personally, I stick by my friends through thick and thin. Even when I'm disappointed in them. Who are you to judge them?

And you have no idea what's going on in their marriage anyway. Garner could be the problem, and this is Ben's way of dealing with it. I'm not saying that's the case, as I've no idea either way.

But the fact that Jen cut it off immediately, makes you think that this marriage was on rocky ground to begin with.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Yeah, I was agreeing with you and adding on. The last group of people in sports I'd give my phone to would be the NFL league office, followed closely by the NCAA.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Why do you keep asking if I'm married? Like that gives someone's opinion more weight. Personally, I stick by my friends through thick and thin. Even when I'm disappointed in them. Who are you to judge them?

And you have no idea what's going on in their marriage anyway. Garner could be the problem, and this is Ben's way of dealing with it. I'm not saying that's the case, as I've no idea either way.

But the fact that Jen cut it off immediately, makes you think that this marriage was on rocky ground to begin with.
Are you married?

You may have a different point of view - and maybe not.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Are you married?

You may have a different point of view - and maybe not.

No, I'm not, but I have dealt with cheating (married) friends before. I've always felt it's not my place to get involved in their relationship. I let my friend know what I thought and everything, but it was up to those two to sort it out. They worked it out fortunately.

It's been reported that there was a group of people on the plane, a garner/affleck entourage. I don't know names. I heard the nanny was supposedly hitching a ride to LA. So if they land halfway, Tom boards, sees a big group, I don't see how he'd put his foot down or anything. I just don't think he'd have given it much thought. And if he did, I don't think he'd force the plane to land once he figured out what's going on.

JMO

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Brady offered his cell phone to Wells who declined the offer. Wells said he didn't need it. Then Goodell has a press conference and says, "Brady destroyed his cell phone!".

Goodell is sleaze. The NFL sucks.

It's all Patriot envy.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Looks like another blow to the NFL by the Honorable Judge Richard Berman (The following sample of tweets are from a court reporter who covers the 2nd District Court in Manhattan. I.e., no horse in the race):

Stephen Brown ‏@PPVSRB 3h3 hours ago Manhattan, NY
Berman hit the NFL hard yet again, and again had problems with language of Wells Report and appeal process

Berman: "There is a bit of a quantum leap from the finding of Mr. Wells to the finding of Mr. Goodell." (from general awareness to scheme)

Stephen Brown ‏@PPVSRB 3h
Berman: Brady's "general awareness" described by Wells didn't refer specifically to AFC championship. Said that was "conspicuously absent."

Nash, for NFL, countered that entire Wells Report revolved around that game, so that should be assumed. Berman seemed skeptical.

Stephen Brown ‏@PPVSRB
3h3 hours ago Manhattan, NY
Berman: "The next time someone tampers with a ball but cooperates, what suspension would he get?"

Nash again deferred to Goodell's judgement on that.

To which Berman said "I have a little trouble with that."

Berman then grilled Nash on Goodell's comparison of ball tampering/deflation to steroid use. Berman very skeptical of that point.

Berman: "I believe some arbitration awards have been vacated" because a witness was not allowed to be called without explanation.

Berman: "There are some basic procedures of fairness that have to be followed.... You got to let someone make their case."

My impression: Berman tipped his hand a bit to NFL in an effort to make the sides settle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom