Non-Key Tweets | Page 81 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think that the ACC would be the only conference that would offer a sweetheart deal to Texas like they have done with ND. Texas could keep all LHN revenue in addition to the ACC contract if they came aboard full-time and signed the GOR . But that said, Texas already has a sweetheart deal in the B12 and it appears that the remaining conference members are content with it, for some baffling reason. KU would be a great addition to the B1G and they would double their revenue overnight. But maybe the B1G won't invite KU because if they left the B12, that could open up Texas going to the ACC (along with possibly OU).

Reaction Score
My numbers may have been off some but NONE mentioned ACC and many did mention the SEC lol..I spent (and seen your posts) quite a few hrs there and was impressed with the level of poster but that Pacific Time zone thing is a buzz killer and having lived in the San Fernando valley in LA,Ca with transplanted Okies and Jayhawks was impressed with them as nice decent all american type folks!! Thats probably the sliver of PAC appeal? Im still good friends with many today.

Never posted over there actually, I only lurk. I liked the daily posts from LASooner but unfortunately he stopped.

Reaction Score
Kansas would far prefer the B1G to Pac. They have a lot of affinity to Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Indiana. Not much affinity to California, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, or Utah. Plus the travel is worse in the Pac and the money is better in the B1G.

And if Kansas goes B1G, I don't see why Oklahoma and Texas wouldn't follow.

But if OU and UT went to the Pac with TT and OSU (and taking care of little brothers would be the only reason to do it), then I think the B1G goes for Kansas and UConn in preference to Kansas and Missouri, assuming Missouri is even available. Kansas gives them Kansas City, they already have part of St Louis with Illinois, and Connecticut with no pro sports teams and penetration to New England and New York is worth more than Missouri with multiple pro teams, no out of state penetration, and its home state already half-penetrated by Kansas and Illinois. The only advantage Missouri has is AAU.
there are only two schools calling their own shots from the Big12. i think we've seen that the perceived value in the Big12 belongs to Texas and OU. the others are tag-alongs, even Kansas.

when the Big12 was crumbling, everyone was looking for a safe haven including Kansas. If the Big10 wanted them, they could have had them.

Reaction Score
I think that the ACC would be the only conference that would offer a sweetheart deal to Texas like they have done with ND. Texas could keep all LHN revenue in addition to the ACC contract if they came aboard full-time and signed the GOR . But that said, Texas already has a sweetheart deal in the B12 and it appears that the remaining conference members are content with it, for some baffling reason. KU would be a great addition to the B1G and they would double their revenue overnight. But maybe the B1G won't invite KU because if they left the B12, that could open up Texas going to the ACC (along with possibly OU).
Interesting thought Dooley!! I never even considered that.

Reaction Score
There are so many ways this could play out, in the event of a B12 breakup. First, if the scenario unfolds, from most ACC fans' perspective they would prefer Texas as a #16, even as a partial. If not, then it becomes interesting. UT to the PAC surely means OU follows them. Then it becomes a question of if KU follows OU or Okie State tags along.I think the PAC, if given a choice, 100% prefers Kansas. Okie State could go SEC. West Virginia could find themselves in the ACC, with UConn (my preference) or Iowa State. If it is the oft-mentioned foursome of UT OU TT OSU to the PAC then I could see the B1G make a play for Kansas and Mizzou, as there are no other viable options for them, being that the ACC would definitely survive in that scenario. The SEC can then take WVU, for all I care.

Iowa State doesn't fit for the ACC at all. They are the perfect fit for the Big Ten (AAU and in the footprint). They actually fit better than Maryland or Rutgers ever will. But the BTN doesn't think it can make any more money off Iowa State, so they won't be invited.

WVU and a school from Texas would be the only realistic fits from the Big XII for the ACC. And Texas is a stretch because of distance. But the Dallas Cowboys are in the NFC East, and the SEC, AAC and C-USA include Texas presence playing in the east. So it could be made to work I guess.

I don't think anything will happen to the Big XII though. I'd like to see Notre Dame go ahead and add the three more ACC football games, invite UConn, and call it a day. Let the Big Ten, SEC, and PAC 12 pick over the Big XII in the future.

Reaction Score
Never posted over there actually, I only lurk. I liked the daily posts from LASooner but unfortunately he stopped.
Must have been on another midwestern blog? FTT? I know I was familiar with you're handle on a national board somewhere west of Pennsy as I usually only lurk on OBE and lately any national CR board's...I was never much interested in anything outside of the NE until B1G expansion. Heck I remember southerners crying about an Eastern bias until 15 or so yrs ago...now I'm concerned with the backlash with the espins pushing the southern schools from the comfort of their Bristol studio's here!!

Reaction Score
Iowa State doesn't fit for the ACC at all. They are the perfect fit for the Big Ten (AAU and in the footprint). They actually fit better than Maryland or Rutgers ever will. But the BTN doesn't think it can make any more money off Iowa State, so they won't be invited.

WVU and a school from Texas would be the only realistic fits from the Big XII for the ACC. And Texas is a stretch because of distance. But the Dallas Cowboys are in the NFC East, and the SEC, AAC and C-USA include Texas presence playing in the east. So it could be made to work I guess.

I don't think anything will happen to the Big XII though. I'd like to see Notre Dame go ahead and add the three more ACC football games, invite UConn, and call it a day. Let the Big Ten, SEC, and PAC 12 pick over the Big XII in the future.
Iowa St...fit better? Why? What do they offer to help the B1G expand? Pitt or Cinncy make better sense but we know their not much help in OSU/PSU's locked down footprint... Your a dope!!Ridiculous...so the ACC should by you're reasoning should take an ECU because their already in the ACC small real(NC/VA) footprint? Where do you get this crap? Your right out of the Swoffy school of expansion(visionless)btw hows the ACCN coming along?

Reaction Score

I don't think "fit" matters as much as it used to. Years ago, when people basically stayed where they grew up in and didn't go far from their childhood homes when they moved, it made sense to have strictly regional conferences throughout. Today, people don't go out and say "Boy, I would love to beat the pants out of School Y because they are only a hundred miles from me and I can brag about it to their fans." Sure, you would see that behavior in the SEC fans and Duke/Carolina fans. However, casual fans (which is what conferences are aiming for more and more these days) aren't as concerned about beating neighbor schools but seeing "name" programs on the TV. That is what Notre Dame has shown us. It doesn't matter if you live in New York or Tuscaloosa. You watch Notre Dame to either cheer them on or hope that they lose.

Cuse and Duke having the ratings that they did meant that those two were drawing people in who aren't already alums of those two schools. That and ESPN being a huge giant promotion machine for the ACC has helped the conference stay in the spotlight.

Now as to the Iowa State example, my explanation is that, knowing the recent behavior of conferences, fans, TV, etc, if someday the P5 becomes a P4 that the poaching conferences would prefer taking in a school already in a P5 conference instead of a G5 school, unfair or not. TV executives often have too much of a say, which explains why UConn is still out of the ACC. Of course, I would prefer UConn to Iowa State, all things being equal. However, we're dealing with administrators and people in the academic elite circles. Fans don't get a vote on who to admit to a conference.

Reaction Score
I don't think "fit" matters as much as it used to. Years ago, when people basically stayed where they grew up in and didn't go far from their childhood homes when they moved, it made sense to have strictly regional conferences throughout. Today, people don't go out and say "Boy, I would love to beat the pants out of School Y because they are only a hundred miles from me and I can brag about it to their fans." Sure, you would see that behavior in the SEC fans and Duke/Carolina fans. However, casual fans (which is what conferences are aiming for more and more these days) aren't as concerned about beating neighbor schools but seeing "name" programs on the TV. That is what Notre Dame has shown us. It doesn't matter if you live in New York or Tuscaloosa. You watch Notre Dame to either cheer them on or hope that they lose.

Cuse and Duke having the ratings that they did meant that those two were drawing people in who aren't already alums of those two schools. That and ESPN being a huge giant promotion machine for the ACC has helped the conference stay in the spotlight.

Now as to the Iowa State example, my explanation is that, knowing the recent behavior of conferences, fans, TV, etc, if someday the P5 becomes a P4 that the poaching conferences would prefer taking in a school already in a P5 conference instead of a G5 school, unfair or not. TV executives often have too much of a say, which explains why UConn is still out of the ACC. Of course, I would prefer UConn to Iowa State, all things being equal. However, we're dealing with administrators and people in the academic elite circles. Fans don't get a vote on who to admit to a conference.

I do think regional rivalries are important to maintain. I like ours with Virginia Tech and UNC. It's a good argument for the ACC to add West Virginia since they have one with Pitt and with Virginia Tech. It's a good argument to add UConn since they have one with Boston College and Syracuse. Notre Dame is a special case because they want a national schedule in football and appeal to all the Catholics in the country especially in the east. The only other team that can come close to that is BYU.

I can think of about 5 other schools in the Big XII and some others in the AAC that would fit the ACC better than Iowa State, but they are there so put them on the list if you like.

Reaction Score
TV executives often have too much of a say, which explains why UConn is still out of the ACC.
1) I am not sure there is any one tangible reason that UConn is not in the ACC.
2) Do you have data on TV ratings/"appeal" of UConn vs BC/Syracuse/Pittsburgh/Louisville?

Reaction Score
I have been anxiously awaiting Uconn's new marketing face in the AAC....building a national brand.

Much like the branding symbols Osceola on Renegade, the Boomer Sooner wagon, etc...UConn too is working on visual branding.

The sled dogs hauling ass down the field with their fur trimmed handler yelling "Mush, you Huskies", will bring crowds roaring to their feet.

The new cheer rocking the stadium on offensive drives will be..."Hoo yah, Mush!!"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have been anxiously awaiting Uconn's new marketing face in the AAC....building a national brand.

Much like the branding symbols Osceola on Renegade, the Boomer Sooner wagon, etc...UConn too is working on visual branding.

The sled dogs hauling ass down the field with their fur trimmed handler yelling "Mush, you Huskies", will bring crowds roaring to their feet.

The new cheer rocking the stadium on offensive drives will be..."Hoo yah, Mush!!"
Maybe a DJ at the stadium and some kind of whistle.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Don't forget about tossing free t-shirts into the crowd. Nothing says Connecticut more than the sounds of a booming t-shirt launcher.

While they can't completely retire the original Jock Jams CD, they did pick up a copy of Jock Jams 2 at a tag sale in Coventry so expect some pretty major changes.

Reaction Score
Like you said we all need to see how everything shakes out. The G5 Schools will not be kept out of anything IMO. They will however be handicapped by both their conference affiliation/sos, and the general public's own bias. They will likely need to be undefeated, have at least one quality ranked win OOC and then get some help elsewhere. Your example of WSU having a once in a lifetime season should have no bearing on the G5. If they go undefeated or 11-1, they potentially had to go through teams like Oregon, Stanford, and USC to do so. They would have earned their way in. If however they go 6-6, squeak into a conference title game and win it, they should not qualify over any other deserving team.

O.K. -- just at the most superficial level pointing out why some are choking at your posts here:

1. You said "and the general public's own bias." Where in the determination of an athletic champion -- much less the rights of student athletes in mostly government institutions -- should the public's bias have any factor whatsoever? Do you really think MLB is going to forego the playoffs and just let the Yankees and Red Sox play in the World Series because that would generate the most interest?

2. You make statements about conferences being better as if that should be relevant. We are dealing with governmental entities? Why don't they have rights based on performance, where, for example, UConn's would be superior to say Vanderbilt's? Why do you -- why should anyone -- accept the starting point that any benefits from a governmental system should be distributed based on whom you associate, rather than individual characteristics of individual schools

Enough. There is no real theoretical justification for any of this. This is about ADs trying to grab money, not for the benefit of shareholders (which is the justification for self serving actions in the private sector) but so they can get bigger salaries and Presidents trying to improve their school's prestige to help their resume and ego. It deserves no more discussion than that.

Reaction Score
O.K. -- just at the most superficial level pointing out why some are choking at your posts here:

1. You said "and the general public's own bias." Where in the determination of an athletic champion -- much less the rights of student athletes in mostly government institutions -- should the public's bias have any factor whatsoever?It shouldn't but it will. Television, namely ESPN will spend 4 months shaping that bias. The committee tasked with selecting the participants in this new playoff won't be above this bias. Do you really think MLB is going to forego the playoffs and just let the Yankees and Red Sox play in the World Series because that would generate the most interest? If they could get away with it, who knows? Personally I would be afraid to find out. Thankfully MLB has a 100+ year history of having its division champs, and now wildcards, play it out on the field. NCAA Football has a century+ of conference commissioners, bowl committees, and TV Executives deciding who would be allowed to play for a title. They will not cede that control over night. IMO The new tournament will be a simple evolution of an already corrupt existing formula.

2. You make statements about conferences being better as if that should be relevant. We are dealing with governmental entities? Why don't they have rights based on performance, where, for example, UConn's would be superior to say Vanderbilt's? Why do you -- why should anyone -- accept the starting point that any benefits from a governmental system should be distributed based on whom you associate, rather than individual characteristics of individual schools Personally I would have no problem with every school being independent, setting a schedule, and having to sink or swim on their own merits. However with schools sponsoring 30+ sports that is basically impossible. In an ideal world UCONN would be judged on what it achieves on the field. In the real world the public just says "Yeah but UCONN is in the AAC, so it is not that impressive." Fair? Hell no. Reality. Sadly yes.

Enough. There is no real theoretical justification for any of this. This is about ADs trying to grab money, not for the benefit of shareholders (which is the justification for self serving actions in the private sector) but so they can get bigger salaries and Presidents trying to improve their school's prestige to help their resume and ego. It deserves no more discussion than that.You'll get no argument from me. When it comes to the future of college sports I hope for the best but expect the worst. I.E. The SEC running a semi pro league with pros masquerading as "student athletes" Oh wait...

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have enjoyed 100+ years of division champions playing playoff baseball. I remember that 1934 ALCS like it was yesterday.

Reaction Score
2) Do you have data on TV ratings/"appeal" of UConn vs BC/Syracuse/Pittsburgh/Louisville?

35 Pittsburgh 2,074,000 1.3 5

38 Boston College 1,734,125 1.2 4

47 Louisville 1,435,375 1.0 8

61 UConn 1,013,250 0.6 4

http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013...atings-2013-regular-season-final-sec#comments

No numbers on Syracuse. Remember that UConn has had to compete under an unfair TV contract situation, with limited exposure and, even then, they drew more than several P5 schools. Their real value is basketball and Olympic sports. Ball so hard. Playing against the best that's out there.

I really hate these comparisons. They've already proven their worth. Only the arrogance of some schools is blocking them.

Reaction Score
This thread reminds me of a bunch of guys going to Kelsey's bar in Archie Bunker's neighborhood and arguing about whether their BMW or Audi is nicer

Reaction Score
This thread reminds me of a bunch of guys going to Kelsey's bar in Archie Bunker's neighborhood and arguing about whether their BMW or Audi is nicer
Who Ha you're a blast...I love you're style...I agree...this thread is as subjective as the importance of the silly APR!! LOL..I wouldnt have bothered posting but you hit the spot with Kelseys Bar and Archie Bunker!!

Reaction Score
So is it "TV executives (/ratings)" or "the arrogance of some schools" that keeps UConn out of the ACC? I am not following your argument.

Reaction Score
clmssun said:
So is it "TV executives (/ratings)" or "the arrogance of some schools" that keeps UConn out of the ACC? I am not following your argument.

So we are going to base UConn's potential ratings on our 3 and 4 win teams of the Pasqualoni era playing USF and Temple?

Sounds fair.

Reaction Score
  1. Christopher Lambert@theDudeofWV 9h
    @tsnmike @zlefever12 @MitchVingle BE BB schools had enough votes to block anything the football schools wanted to do.
  2. Michael DeCourcy@tsnmike 8h
    @theDudeofWV @zlefever12 @MitchVingle False.
  3. Christopher Lambert@theDudeofWV 4h
    @tsnmike @zlefever12 @MitchVingle WVU & Pitt blocked that.
  4. Michael DeCourcy@tsnmike 4h
    @theDudeofWV @zlefever12 @MitchVingle But you said it was BB schools who were problem
  5. Christopher Lambert@theDudeofWV 3h
    @tsnmike @zlefever12 @MitchVingle Why would WVU be happy with sharing FB $ with 7 schools who don’t play football? Why would any school?
  6. Sir Thinks-A-Lot@theatheistteach 3h
    @theDudeofWV @tsnmike @zlefever12 @MitchVingle It's a fragile equation. Short-term it's great. Long-term? It's as valuable as UT says it is
  7. Christopher Lambert@theDudeofWV 3h
    @theatheistteach @tsnmike @zlefever12 @MitchVingle That’s true…
  8. Sir Thinks-A-Lot@theatheistteach 3h
    @theDudeofWV @tsnmike @zlefever12 @MitchVingle Scary for the Big X12
Christopher Lambert@theDudeofWV 3h
@theatheistteach @tsnmike @zlefever12 @MitchVingle I really don’t think so. At least not for 7 years.
  1. Sir Thinks-A-Lot@theatheistteach 3h
    @theDudeofWV @tsnmike @zlefever12 @MitchVingle We'll see, I suppose. Not trolling, just making observations
  2. Christopher Lambert@theDudeofWV 3h
    @theatheistteach @tsnmike @zlefever12 @MitchVingle I know that UT is the reason the B12 is intact. They signed the GoR.
  3. Christopher Lambert@theDudeofWV 3h
    @theatheistteach @tsnmike @zlefever12 @MitchVingle But you have to worry about the B12’s footprint & the future.
  4. Christopher Lambert@theDudeofWV 3h
    @theatheistteach @tsnmike @zlefever12 @MitchVingle I had the same thoughts…but the new Prez could be pro B12.

ME: Somewhere between moonshine and more moonshine you hear the voice of concern from him.

Reaction Score
Matt Wyers‏@mkw_14 10h
@theDudeofWV So what do you think of Powers resigning at Texas?

1. Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 9h
    @mkw_14 He’s been under fire for some time. I’m anxious to see who replaces him.
  2. Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 9h
    @mkw_14 Who replaces him will have a great affect in the future of the Big 12.
  3. Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 9h
    @mkw_14 Not immediately because of the GoR but & other factors on play but don’t discount the significance of UT’s next hire.
  4. Matt Wyers ‏@mkw_14 9h
    @theDudeofWV A UT guy said a while back that many UT people were pushing for an SEC-friendly administration.
  5. Matt Wyers ‏@mkw_14 9h
    @theDudeofWV Is it possible that one of the reasons Powers was dethroned was that he didn't have the "correct" vision for the future?
  6. Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 5h
    @mkw_14 I’m not sure. But I do think Powers holding on to the FB coach was a factor.
  7. Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 3h
    @mkw_14 One thing about the SEC…they don’t like duplicate markets. Diminishing returns & all…
  8. Matt Wyers ‏@mkw_14 1h
    @theDudeofWV True enough, but I think the SEC would make an exception in certain circumstances.
  9. Matt Wyers ‏@mkw_14 1h
    @theDudeofWV If UT and OU were both willing to join together then I don't see the SEC turning that down.
  10. Matt Wyers ‏@mkw_14 1h
    @theDudeofWV However, I think a lot would depend on A&M's perspective.
  11. Matt Wyers ‏@mkw_14 1h
    @theDudeofWV It would also depend on whether or not the SEC can secure full coverage in TX for the SEC Network.
  12. Matt Wyers ‏@mkw_14 1h
    @theDudeofWV If not then UT would make all the sense in the world.
  13. Gregory D. M. K. ‏@GregGregoryKJ 31m
    @mkw_14 @theDudeofWV What kind of vote do SEC schools have? Would they need a unanimous vote for UT? Is there anyway A&M would want UT?

ME: I doubt A&M would receive UT enthusiastically but might swallow it since they're in their dream conference. Mizzou left the B12 to get away from Texas. It would be an almost-B12 situation for them again. One thing for sure is that this scenario would force the Big Ten to start merger talks with the PAC immediately.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom