Non-Key Tweets | Page 83 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
You said UConn could sell out the Yale bowl while waiting for the Rent
expansion.

There's a difference between reading between the lines and reading minds.

That all being said, 60K is absolutely doable in that conference.
I'm not sure if the Big 12 gets me on a plane to Ct .I'm sure the B1G does.
60k for Texas or OU maybe.
What's with Yale , I use to hitch down 34 to games..Now it appears they can't even win in the Ivy's. or want anyone to use the Bowl.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What's with Yale , I use to hitch down 34 to games..Now it appears they can't even win in the Ivy's. or want anyone to use the Bowl.

60K in retrospect is probably a stretch for everyone not named Texas or Oklahoma, but the Big12 always seems to have some highly rated teams that would draw well too.

To be honest now that I think of it, Texas Tech, Iowa State, KU, K-State, Baylor, TCU all probably draw worse than old Big East teams.

Who knows maybe being "P5" changes that.

Reaction Score

P5 conference? I will drive out and put you on that plane!

Reaction Score
[URL='https://twitter.com/theDudeofWV']Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 29m
for the Exp crowd: A reliable source told me that mediation between UMD & the ACC was going as well as a Auburn-Bama mixer with free drinks.

Expansion Crush
‏@expansion_crush [/URL] 9m
@theDudeofWV Mediation isn't legally binding. So it's just stall tactics for now.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 7m
@expansion_crush Yeap... I believe the court orders it in the hope trial can be avoided.

ME: I would like to know who is doing the stalling here. At some point, logic has to take over pride and bravado. This looks like it's going to trial. I just wish they got it over with so that we can focus on competing for national titles, which is the point of college athletics.

Then again, we are talking about our "favorite" twit blogger. So he could well be wrong and this gets settled. ;)

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 29m
for the Exp crowd: A reliable source told me that mediation between UMD & the ACC was going as well as a Auburn-Bama mixer with free drinks.

Expansion Crush ‏@expansion_crush
9m
@theDudeofWV Mediation isn't legally binding. So it's just stall tactics for now.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 7m
@expansion_crush Yeap... I believe the court orders it in the hope trial can be avoided.

ME: I would like to know who is doing the stalling here. At some point, logic has to take over pride and bravado. This looks like it's going to trial. I just wish they got it over with so that we can focus on competing for national titles, which is the point of college athletics.

Then again, we are talking about our "favorite" twit blogger. So he could well be wrong and this gets settled. ;)

At least from what he's "been told," HFD explains it on the scout board. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert‏@theDudeofWV Jul 30
@bagelknot I wasn’t right. My friend was right. Everything he has shared with me has been accurate.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV Jul 30
@bagelknot An hour before the news broke about Smallwood he texted me & said it wasn’t serious.

@bagelknot But I do want to make the distinction that when I’ve been wrong it’s because I listened to the wrong people or made assumptions.

@bagelknot So when I’m wrong it’s100% me. He’s never mislead me.

WVU.Matt ‏@bagelknot Jul 30
@theDudeofWV the whole SEC thing was a mess and very disappointing. Hate Mizzou because if that.

@bagelknot It wasn’t Mizzou. WVU would have been the choice had Mizzou said no.

@bagelknot What killed WVU’s SEC hopes was the lack of state support for necessary upgrades.

WVU.Matt ‏@bagelknot Jul 30
@theDudeofWV really? Now that's a damn shame.

@bagelknot I’ve verified that with people in the SEC & certain members of WV’s media. It took me nearly 2 years to find out.

@bagelknot The SEC wanted stadium expansion. They wanted assurance WVU wouldn’t be another Miss St or Vandy.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV Jul 31
@bagelknot The key player wasn’t Luck in regards to the SEC. It was Whit. He made the inroads prior to leaving WVU.

@bagelknot The SEC contacted WVU. They gave WVU credit for the Pittsburg & MD markets. Had support from Bama & a former SEC commish.

@bagelknot It was WVU’s talks with the SEC that lead Pitt & Cuse to apply to the ACC. Complicated story.

WVU.Matt ‏@bagelknot Jul 31
@theDudeofWV god I wish that would've happened. That's where we belong. That or ACC, but hate those snobs. I luv the big 12, but come on

@bagelknot If WVU had received the subsidy Marshall receives then the Mountaineers would have been in the SEC.

@bagelknot of course this is all my imagination since no one will go on record since it never came about.

WVU.Matt ‏@bagelknot Jul 31
@theDudeofWV can u imagine us in SEC? I would've been able to attend so many games. I still think we end up in ACC somehow in the future.

@bagelknot WVU found out on Oct 19th of 2011 that Mizzou had accepted & right after called Chuck N.

@bagelknot Just think: If WVU were getting the same. $10 million in athletic subsidies that Marshall received.

@bagelknot Marshall has a new indoor practice facility. WVU gets 0 dollars.

Murr ‏@MurrDCU 4h
@theDudeofWV @bagelknot so is WVU executing a plan to meet those marks when the next round of expansion occurs?

ME: It could well be that one of the SEC mascots is his source. ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
MLB+team+reveals+bizzare+cat+mascot.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
I didn't say a word to anyone.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 21m
Hey expansion junkies: Big vote on autonomy for the P5 on thursday.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 20m
The vote Thursday, along with the B12 & ACC request on CCGs, will affect expansion in the next 5-10 years.

Also the red light on the ACC network has been changed to a yellow light thanks to SECN success with carriers.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 19m
ESPN is toying with the idea of bundling SECN with a potential ACCN.

So ESPN would say if you want SECN you have to take ACCN too. Just concept phase for now.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 18m
I would imagine the ACCN would discounted in such a scenario.

Jeremy ‏@1998Grad 19m
@theDudeofWV why would the SEC want anything to do with that scenario?
@1998Grad The SEC wouldn't. ESPN would. Look at the details of the SECN agreement. ESPN has most of the risk. SEC most of the $.
@1998Grad So why would the SEC give a tinker's damn? Nobody is saying no to the SECN.
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 17m
@1998Grad IMG does that same thing. Hey so you want to advertise on WVU... well you have to buy a Pitt ad too...
Jeremy ‏@1998Grad 11m
@theDudeofWV allowing the acc to ride the coattails. If anything it'll help the ACC and do nothing for SEC. Bury the acc should be the aim
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 9m
@1998Grad Likely it will prompt the SEC to take FSU & Clemson just to show dominance. Just my opinion - no info on that.
Jeremy ‏@1998Grad 4m
@theDudeofWV there will be a civil war if the sec proposes that. Especially in South Carolina. No way we take the taters!

I'm also told that an ACCN virtually shuts down the notion that Texas would ever join & that has ramifications as well.

Currently only the ACC & Big 12 don't have conference networks. An ACCN would mean only the Big 12 is without.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 4m
I'm told the deal is that any conf. who can afford to play with the P5 will not be excluded.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 3m
That's more difficult that it sounds because one bad apple spoils the opportunity for the whole conf.

ME: Just remember that ESPN wouldn't be talking about an ACCN unless there's money to be made. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
IF this happens and IF the AAC will have an opportunity to become a "Power" conference and IF there is "one bad apple" in the conference that does not want to join the Power ranks, they should be excommunicated immediately. Or UCONN will have to find new friends across the G5 and align ourselves with other bigger G5 schools across the country. Friends who can add value to a new TV deal like we obviously can.

Reaction Score
If that's the case then any 'bad apples' would be thrown out immediately and whatever amalgamation of G5 schools that want to be 'power schools' will result.

pj

Reaction Score
Yes, schools would have to leave the AAC if they didn't want to pony up; or rather, a majority of schools would decide if the AAC would go P5 or not, and the minority would have to accept it or leave for a new home.

Incidentally, an ACCN almost guarantees a P5 home for UConn. UConn is far more valuable to a conference network than most of the existing ACC schools, so it would become a revenue-per-school-raising add for the ACC. If conference championship games are deregulated to allow odd member conferences, it opens up two likely bidders for UConn.

Last edited:

dayooper

Reaction Score
Yes, schools would have to leave the AAC if they didn't want to pony up; or rather, a majority of schools would decide if the AAC would go P5 or not, and the minority would have to accept it or leave for a new home.

Incidentally, an ACCN almost guarantees a P5 home for UConn. UConn is far more valuable to a conference network than most of the existing ACC schools, so it would become a revenue-per-school-raising add for the ACC. If conference championship games are deregulated to allow odd member conferences, it opens up two likely bidders for UConn.

Who in The AAC would want to bump up:

My uninformed guesses:

All in: UConn, Cinci, ECU, UCF, Houston

Probably: USF, Memphis, SMU

Not So Sure: Tulane, Tulsa, Temple, Navy

Could there be a merger between the members of the ACC and MWC that want to bump up?

dayooper

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 21m
Hey expansion junkies: Big vote on autonomy for the P5 on thursday.

The vote Thursday, along with the B12 & ACC request on CCGs, will affect expansion in the next 5-10 years.

Also the red light on the ACC network has been changed to a yellow light thanks to SECN success with carriers.

ESPN is toying with the idea of bundling SECN with a potential ACCN.

So ESPN would say if you want SECN you have to take ACCN too. Just concept phase for now.

I would imagine the ACCN would discounted in such a scenario.

Jeremy ‏@1998Grad 19m
@theDudeofWV why would the SEC want anything to do with that scenario?
@1998Grad The SEC wouldn't. ESPN would. Look at the details of the SECN agreement. ESPN has most of the risk. SEC most of the $.
@1998Grad So why would the SEC give a tinker's damn? Nobody is saying no to the SECN.
@1998Grad IMG does that same thing. Hey so you want to advertise on WVU... well you have to buy a Pitt ad too...
Jeremy ‏@1998Grad 11m
@theDudeofWV allowing the acc to ride the coattails. If anything it'll help the ACC and do nothing for SEC. Bury the acc should be the aim
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 9m
@1998Grad Likely it will prompt the SEC to take FSU & Clemson just to show dominance. Just my opinion - no info on that.
Jeremy ‏@1998Grad 4m
@theDudeofWV there will be a civil war if the sec proposes that. Especially in South Carolina. No way we take the taters!

I'm also told that an ACCN virtually shuts down the notion that Texas would ever join & that has ramifications as well.

Currently only the ACC & Big 12 don't have conference networks. An ACCN would mean only the Big 12 is without.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 4m
I'm told the deal is that any conf. who can afford to play with the P5 will not be excluded.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 3m
That's more difficult that it sounds because one bad apple spoils the opportunity for the whole conf.

ME: Just remember that ESPN wouldn't be talking about an ACCN unless there's money to be made. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Couple of things:

1. If the ACC can do it, good for them. It would be great exposure.
2. How much more would ESPN give for content they already own? I'm not saying they wouldn't pay, but how much more?
3. Take everything here with a grain of salt, it's The Dude.

Reaction Score
How many years does ESPN have the ACC rights for? Why make a network and the investment that goes along with that when you already own the content?

pj

Reaction Score
How many years does ESPN have the ACC rights for? Why make a network and the investment that goes along with that when you already own the content?

It's really a way to increase the number of cable channels. You can only charge so much for ESPN3, ESPN4, ESPN5 before cable systems refuse and the ESPN brand gets diluted; but if you call ESPN4 the SEC Network and ESPN5 the ACC Network, you can sell it at a premium regionally, since fans of the conference will say, I have to have that channel.... So by dividing its content into channels with regional appeal, ESPN can increase its revenue by (a) splitting its inventory into a larger number of channels and (b) drawing higher channel fees using regional marketing based on regional conference allegiances.

The game stops when inventory becomes too thin to support all the channels. As long as ESPN and ESPN2 and ESPNU have enough content, ESPN gains by splitting off other content into new branded channels.

pj

Reaction Score
Who in The AAC would want to bump up:

My uninformed guesses:

All in: UConn, Cinci, ECU, UCF, Houston

Probably: USF, Memphis, SMU

Not So Sure: Tulane, Tulsa, Temple, Navy

Could there be a merger between the members of the ACC and MWC that want to bump up?

This is a good list. I think Temple might be #9, though they might need financial assistance from the state of Pennsylvania. BYU, Boise, San Diego State, and some other MWC teams would want to join. You could easily split to a West of the Mississippi (Texas schools + MWC schools + BYU) and East of the Mississippi divisional structure.

Dooley

Reaction Score

If you force it down people's throats by packaging it with the SECN, then they could make more money. The ACC does have a few very sizable markets within its members. If they added UCONN, it would give them much more presence in NYC and the valuable northeast markets.

Dooley

Reaction Score
If I had to guess, the P6th conference would be a merger between whatever schools in the current G5 want to adopt the new rules. I would guess that those schools would be some sort of combination of: UCONN, BYU, UCF, USF, Houston, ECU, Cincinnati, Memphis, SMU, Boise, SDSU, Colorado St?, Utah St?, Fresno St?, Temple?, Navy?

Allow me to channel my inner-HFD...

Conference Name: Power 6 Revenue Sports Conference, aka The RSC. Conference fans can chant "Money! Money! Money!" to counter those "SEC! SEC! SEC!" chants. Money always wins in college sports.

Football:
Split 16 conference members into 2 divisions of 8 schools each.
East: UCONN, UCF, USF, ECU, Cincinnati, Memphis, Temple, Navy
West: BYU, Boise, SDSU, Colorado St, Utah St, Fresno St, Houston, SMU

Each football division team plays each other once (rotating home games each season) = 7 games
Cross-division games are set up to rotate to play a team every 4 years (alternating home games years) = 2 games
Allows for up to 3 OOC games
Championship Game played on a rotation of Philadelphia, Tampa, Houston/Dallas, San Diego

Basketball:
Same divisions as above. Divide into 4 Pods.
Northeast: UCONN, Temple, Navy, Cincinnati
Southeast: ECU, UCF, USF, Memphis
Mountain-Central: Houston, SMU, Colorado St, Boise
West: BYU, SDSU, Utah St, Fresno St

Play each Pod school on a home and home every season = 6 games
Play 1 game against each other pod (alternating home games every season) = 12 games
Rest OOC scheduling
Conference Tourney played on a rotation of Hartford, Philadelphia, Dallas, San Diego

TV market exposure (I'm not saying the RSC will dominate these markets...just have reach into them): NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore/DC, Houston, Dallas, Orlando/Tampa, Denver, San Diego

Football Recruiting: PA/NJ, OH, Mid-Atlantic, FL, TX, CA
Basketball Recruiting: Not quite as important but would have national reach

Academics: Not great but most schools have large enrollments (why Utah St, Colorado St and Fresno St added) and room to grow.

Olympic Sports: every man/woman/school for itself

Of course, we can all debate who would make the Top 16 cut but I would think that it would be important to merge the "best of the rest" to try to maximize TV revenue.

Dooley

Reaction Score
fixed it for you. now you've got hfd channelled

HAHA! Well played SAMCRO. Very well played. I clearly needed more slashes.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · 4h
The Big 12 & the ACC are aligned in their interests going forward & will collaborate on P5 governance.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 4h
@theDudeofWV Fascinated to see how much solidarity there will be within each P5 conference when it comes to the 65 votes on each issue.

Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · 4h
@flugempire It's obvious to me that the Big 12 & ACC fear something & feel they need to combine their votes going forward.

reg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 4h
@theDudeofWV True, but does FSU always vote with BC/WF?. Does Oklahoma always vote with TCU?. Does Northwestern Always vote with OSU & PSU?

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 4h
@flugempire Considering FSU's options I say they vote whatever line the ACC wants them too. Same for WVU.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 4h
@flugempire The ACC & Big 12 have more private schools & schools with smaller budgets (compared to the SEC/B1G/P12).

Doug ‏@NebGradDubDub 3h
@theDudeofWV it will end in a merger by the time the playoff expands. The first move may be a championship type game.

Doug ‏@NebGradDubDub 3h
@theDudeofWV B10 and P12 have made it known they have an alliance. B12 found out that SEC could care less about their interests.

Doug ‏@NebGradDubDub 3h
@theDudeofWV If I were Oklahoma, I would be figuring out where I want to be. P12, B10 or ACC/B12 merger. POD system gives time zone freedom

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 3h
@NebGradDubDub Don't say merger. It's a bad word.

Doug ‏@NebGradDubDub 3h
@theDudeofWV that's the word Texas used when the B12 was formed. Texas used that as an excuse to get rid of less desirable schools.

Doug ‏@NebGradDubDub 3h
@theDudeofWV wake forest, Iowa state, TCU, ect., they better keep their ear to the ground cause history is about to repeat itself.

Doug ‏@NebGradDubDub 3h
@theDudeofWV Iowa state has an awesome fan base and a great AD. they will navigate this.

rman ‏@Skurtz91 33m
@theDudeofWV sooo has there been any news regarding if the big12 needs 12 teams to have a conference game?

Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · 8m
@Skurtz91 Today is the vote on that legislation. I expect the Big 12 & ACC to get exactly what they want.

Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · 6m
Close the door on further Big 12 expansion at least until the networks decide more footprints are needed.

ME: It seems to me that the Big 12 needs the ACC to vote with them for protection. Money is the reason why.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Correction: B12 schools not named Texas, OU or Kansas need to vote with the ACC. Everyone is just riding those schools' coat tails, for the most part.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Not really a tweet but there's a rumor that Maryland & ACC have settled and will announce tomorrow.

I guess we'll see.
Hope so. I think this domino needs to fall before anything can shake loose for us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom