Non-Key Tweets | Page 79 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
While exact figures haven't been released, it has been reported that the BTN is getting comparable rates in the newly expanded NYC-DC corridor as it currently receives in the rest of the B1G footprint. That would mean somewhere in the neighborhood of $1 per household, per month. If the exact amount is not revealed we can figure it out during next years BTN payout to schools. It will be somewhere around $1 per household per month, or $12 per household per year.

Advertising revenue will increase as well. BTN went from coverage in 52 million homes to coverage in over 60 million homes.

Of that revenue, operating costs must be deducted as well as the 51% cut that Fox gets for being a 51% owner of the network. What's left is then split between the 14 schools, though Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers do not receive full equal shares until they buy in to the portion of the channel each school would own.

It took five years for BTN to turn a profit. In 12-13, that profit was one million per school, but that number will increase each year for the foreseeable future, as most operating cost investments have been paid off.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Big 12 has a new logo? It's official! It must be moving to 12 teams again, at some point! It has to, with a new logo and all!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If The Dude gets a book deal, that will seal the deal on a Boneyard book deal. All proceeds go to the UCONN endowment.

Reaction Score
Kirsten Schofield ‏@ennuigo · 9h
@theDudeofWV have you thought about writing a book on some aspect of WV sports? I'd love to hear from you.

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @ennuigo Sure. There’s also a secret story regarding expansion nobody has heard about yet.

Murr ‏@MurrDCU · 28m
@theDudeofWV @ennuigo any clue when this book could hit shelves or a kindle?

Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · 6m
@MurrDCU @ennuigo Let’s see. I can’t work in it during football season or mountain biking season. So it’s February or nothing!

pj

Reaction Score
Yes, I really want to read a book that's not as important to the author as mountain biking.

That said, I'm impressed a press devoted to history books has a West Virginia editor!

Reaction Score
While exact figures haven't been released, it has been reported that the BTN is getting comparable rates in the newly expanded NYC-DC corridor as it currently receives in the rest of the B1G footprint. That would mean somewhere in the neighborhood of $1 per household, per month. If the exact amount is not revealed we can figure it out during next years BTN payout to schools. It will be somewhere around $1 per household per month, or $12 per household per year.

Advertising revenue will increase as well. BTN went from coverage in 52 million homes to coverage in over 60 million homes.

Of that revenue, operating costs must be deducted as well as the 51% cut that Fox gets for being a 51% owner of the network. What's left is then split between the 14 schools, though Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers do not receive full equal shares until they buy in to the portion of the channel each school would own.

It took five years for BTN to turn a profit. In 12-13, that profit was one million per school, but that number will increase each year for the foreseeable future, as most operating cost investments have been paid off.

Yeah this last point is key, as while the BTN started turning a profit a few years ago, they still had to recoup the initial $80 million investment by FOX, so the Big Ten schools were yet to start receiving their share of profits. Until last year, all monies received from the BTN was purely rights fees. The next 10 years, the network profits will see tremendous growth with the investment nearly paid off and the network now turning consistent profits.

I'll be VERY surprised if they got $1 in DC/NYC though. As I said previously, my best guess is probably upward to 75 cents. If I had a gun to my head, that would be the number I'd speculate is the average.

If they did get $1/mo. per sub for those areas, then Delaney is indeed worthy of the title 'genius' LOL

Reaction Score
Yeah this last point is key, as while the BTN started turning a profit a few years ago, they still had to recoup the initial $80 million investment by FOX, so the Big Ten schools were yet to start receiving their share of profits. Until last year, all monies received from the BTN was purely rights fees. The next 10 years, the network profits will see tremendous growth with the investment nearly paid off and the network now turning consistent profits.

I'll be VERY surprised if they got $1 in DC/NYC though. As I said previously, my best guess is probably upward to 75 cents. If I had a gun to my head, that would be the number I'd speculate is the average.

If they did get $1/mo. per sub for those areas, then Delaney is indeed worthy of the title 'genius' LOL

You have to realize that this corridor is very wealthy. Cost of living is sky-high. In Connecticut for instance, SNY charges $2.50+ a month on basic cable for the Mets and 3rd tier rights to UConn games. And before they got UConn, the charge was $1.60.

Reaction Score
You have to realize that this corridor is very wealthy. Cost of living is sky-high. In Connecticut for instance, SNY charges $2.50+ a month on basic cable for the Mets and 3rd tier rights to UConn games. And before they got UConn, the charge was $1.60.

You really need to change your narrative on this. Before SNY added uconn, alot of cable systems in ct. did not even carry SNY. So SNY was getting nothing from a large part of ct, not 1.60.

Reaction Score
You really need to change your narrative on this. Before SNY added uconn, alot of cable systems in ct. did not even carry SNY. So SNY was getting nothing from a large part of ct, not 1.60.

Good point, I usually mention that SNY wasn't even on Basic.

Reaction Score

Fair points, and to add to that, I suppose it's also worth noting that the C.O.L. is higher and so rates would probably be higher in those areas too.

Reaction Score
Good point, I usually mention that SNY wasn't even on Basic.

I also am thinking that they are getting closer to $2.80-3.20 per box from Basic. For instance, if their standard NY metro rate was $2.50, there had to be some add on in CT when they added us ( justified by the added expense of the contract, plus because of our intense following, they could)

Reaction Score
I also am thinking that they are getting closer to $2.80-3.20 per box from Basic. For instance, if their standard NY metro rate was $2.50, there had to be some add on in CT when they added us ( justified by the added expense of the contract, plus because of our intense following, they could)

The Conn. rate was $1.60 before they added UConn.

Reaction Score
Thanks, Dude.
I'm not fond of visitors, but your non-belligerent responses to belligerent posts, is impressive. ND might be more Christian than I was lead to believe.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
So what would UCONN's "value" to the BTN be? Much more than FTT's $38M I'm guessing. I admit that this cable talk goes right over my head, no matter how tall I try to stand (on a ladder, no less).

Reaction Score
Sad to say this but the value wouldn't be that much. UCONN wouldn't be adding on to the rate in NYC more than likely, or if it did it wouldn't be all that much since the cable companies would probably say they already raised it once.

It depends on how much of the entirety of New England you can bring with you.

Reaction Score
Sad to say this but the value wouldn't be that much. UCONN wouldn't be adding on to the rate in NYC more than likely, or if it did it wouldn't be all that much since the cable companies would probably say they already raised it once.

It depends on how much of the entirety of New England you can bring with you.
That's where I call BS on the B1G NY figures. Fairfield County is in the NYC/Westchester DMA. So in essence they are counting CT homes in Rutgers tv income numbers.

Reaction Score
Your point being?

We got those homes for the BTN and all signs are pointing towards getting them near or at the rate we wanted.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom