Non-Key Tweets | Page 54 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Without that kind of Pod the travel for Texas in the PAC is just as bad.
The major areas of Texas are in the Central time zone . Of the PAC teams only Utah Colo, are Mountain time. AZ is on PST during most of football season. SEC is Texas's best option.

The Pac makes the most sense for Texas with either a pod of Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St., or a division with the above pod plus Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and Arizona St. The pod and division are less travel than what it would be in the ACC. Plus, a Pac that included Texas and Oklahoma would be considered either the top or second best football conference with the SEC. As for a conference channel, it blows away the other conferences with potential. (California, Texas, Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Oklahoma) Politically, it would be much easier to move to the Pac in a pod than to move to another conference on their own.

Obviously, Texas could fit in the SEC, but does the SEC want them and could they make the move politically? I made the assumption that the SEC didn't want Texas and Texas wasn't a good fit for the SEC.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Texas has political obligations that will prevent them from ever pretending that they're as unencumbered as Notre Dame.

Plus, they don't have the national following that would allow them to sign a Notre Dame-like deal with a network. (Let's not overlook the fact that the Longhorn Network a) hasn't done well and b) has 17 years left to go on its original ESPN contract.)

Reaction Score
You need to keep in mind that what the ACC will get from ND in this arrangement (four football games each year, split evenly home and away, spread equally among all conference members) is far better than anything the BE got from ND. Additionally, the ACC is not so limited in bowl tie-ins that ND being available during stray years to one of those bowl committees won't force the second or third best team in the conference down to a worthless bowl bid. Having the possibility of ND in the mix may in fact add another reasonably good bowl tie-in to the mix (as opposed to where we were when without being able to offer ND we had no shot at any top tier bowl beyond the guaranteed BCS spot. Finally, if in eight to ten years the ACC could land Texas in a deal similar to what ND received, the result could very well be similar. Adding ND with their partial football arrangement killed the BE, something that benefited the ACC greatly. Landing Texas woul;d deliver a very similar blow to the B-12, who along with the ACC is fighting for the fourth spot in what most believe will eventually be a four conference top level of collegiate athletics.

I don't like the ACC, ND or Texas but the above scenario is very plausible.

I just disagree with many of your points. First, The ACC has 5 ND games per year, not 4. Thus, they are 3 games short of full conference membership. Clearly, the ACC hopes ND joins as a full member down the road and would look for a new full member if that happened. Would Texas join as a full member? Doubtful as moving to the Pac with a pod of Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St. is a better option. Less travel and traditional rivals are retained.

As the football playoffs develop, conference politics are going to intensify. Imagine if ND had beaten out Florida St for the bid for the championship game this year? I don't think this would have sit well with FSU! Or, ND jumps an ACC school for a better bowl even though they might have a better record and have beaten ND that year. Until ND is a full membr of the ACC, they will only cause resentment and instability.

Reaction Score
If the ACC shifts down to a 5 game schedule will ND be a full member by default?

In other news: Unbelievable picture shows how small earth really is: http://thespacereporter.com/2014/02/unbelievable-picture-shows-how-small-the-earth-really-is/

upload_2014-2-8_2-10-23.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You need to keep in mind that what the ACC will get from ND in this arrangement (four football games each year, split evenly home and away, spread equally among all conference members) is far better than anything the BE got from ND. Additionally, the ACC is not so limited in bowl tie-ins that ND being available during stray years to one of those bowl committees won't force the second or third best team in the conference down to a worthless bowl bid. Having the possibility of ND in the mix may in fact add another reasonably good bowl tie-in to the mix (as opposed to where we were when without being able to offer ND we had no shot at any top tier bowl beyond the guaranteed BCS spot. Finally, if in eight to ten years the ACC could land Texas in a deal similar to what ND received, the result could very well be similar. Adding ND with their partial football arrangement killed the BE, something that benefited the ACC greatly. Landing Texas woul;d deliver a very similar blow to the B-12, who along with the ACC is fighting for the fourth spot in what most believe will eventually be a four conference top level of collegiate athletics.

I don't like the ACC, ND or Texas but the above scenario is very plausible.
I just disagree with many of your points. First, The ACC has 5 ND games per year, not 4.

As the football playoffs develop, conference politics are going to intensify. Imagine if ND had beaten out Florida St for the bid for the championship game this year? I don't think this would have sit well with FSU! Or, ND jumps an ACC school for a better bowl even though they might have a better record and have beaten ND that year. Until ND is a full membr of the ACC, they will only cause resentment and instability.

A big factor to consider in testing the ND-ACC relationship, IMO, will be the 4 team playoff system. ND has hedged it's bets by scheduling an OOC schedule crafted around the ACC. ND is all about winning national championships. Watch the relationship get tested if a "4th spot" in the playoff system gets taken by an ACC team over an 11 & 1 ND team. ..or vice versa. A good thing for us and realignment- a rocky ACC/ND relationship ...with too many brides being left at the altar, (ACC/SEC/B1G runnersup etc) we could see an expansion to an 8 team playoff.....

pj

Reaction Score
The Pac makes the most sense for Texas with either a pod of Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St., or a division with the above pod plus Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and Arizona St. The pod and division are less travel than what it would be in the ACC. Plus, a Pac that included Texas and Oklahoma would be considered either the top or second best football conference with the SEC. As for a conference channel, it blows away the other conferences with potential. (California, Texas, Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Oklahoma) Politically, it would be much easier to move to the Pac in a pod than to move to another conference on their own.

Obviously, Texas could fit in the SEC, but does the SEC want them and could they make the move politically? I made the assumption that the SEC didn't want Texas and Texas wasn't a good fit for the SEC.

Pods only save travel in football. Texas would be a much better fit for a B1G West division.

The SEC would love Texas, but does Texas want to be a follower of Texas A&M? That would stick in their craw. The academic side of UT would like the B1G, and Texas might like having a B1G-SEC rivalry between the two top state schools.

Reaction Score
Pods only save travel in football. Texas would be a much better fit for a B1G West division.

The SEC would love Texas, but does Texas want to be a follower of Texas A&M? That would stick in their craw. The academic side of UT would like the B1G, and Texas might like having a B1G-SEC rivalry between the two top state schools.

I agree that the B1G would be a good fit for Texas should the B1G make a grab for Kansas and Oklahoma, too. The problem is that Texas will want to be treated like the king of the hill in the B1G as it is in the XII and Ohio St and Michigan will have none of that. Ditto for the SEC, who is a much better football culture for Texas, but Alabama, Florida, etc. will not let Texas be the big daddy there and I also wonder if A&M would try to block such a move to keep Texas to itself (and allow a 'weaker' Texas team to join instead, like Baylor). Plus, there is the political question of what to do with Texas Tech, who has no shot at the B1G, if the XII falls apart. Thus, I think the PAC goes to 16 teams and has a 4 team 'East' pod of Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St should the XII collapse. Kansas goes B1G. Not sure what happens to K State.

Reaction Score
MH3 ‏@MH3 1h
ACC has until The end of March to settle with UMD before Pitt ACC evidence damns ESPN/ACC to collusion lawsuits galore.

MH3 ‏@MH3 1h
@MurrDCU it's pretty damning stuff from what I've been told. BE, B10, and B12 would all have good cases against.

Um Yeah. I think I will wait until I receive corroboration from those paragons of journalism, Dude of WV and Tuxedo Yoda, to get excited about this gem.

Reaction Score
Um Yeah. I think I will wait until I receive corroboration from those paragons of journalism, Dude of WV and Tuxedo Yoda, to get excited about this gem.

Yeah, well, based of our situation were kinda at the point where we'll grab onto anything that gives us any glimpse of hope.

Reaction Score
Who knows where this plays out or when, but the ACC is petitioning the NCAA to allow them to host a conference championship even if their membership consists of an odd number. We can argue later about why the NCAA inserted the requirement for an even number. The real question is why is the ACC pushing this? They don't need another member, they are at 14 FT members now (ND does not count). Are they looking for a 15th in FB, and a 16th for all other sports? Are they concerned about the BIG making an offer to UConn, and cutting off the ACC's northern segment, with the crown jewels of DC and NYC firmly resting w/the BIG? There is smoke ....

Saw this posted on the Maryland board:

Posted: 1/26/2014 5:38 PM
The ACC plans to invite UConn as soon as the NCAA caves in

Here’s what Swofford is trying to do.
He is in dire need of better demographics for the ACC Network. The best option – by far – is UConn, which will go a long way to bring in the NYC market much like Rutgers does for the BTN. However, if Swoffie invites two teams that would pretty much close the door on adding Notre Dame as a full member.
Swoffie wants to add UConn as the ACC’s 15th full member and then keep the 16th spot open for ND. So the ACC would need to maintain unequal numbers in its two divisions for several years until the Irish “come around” and join including football. (ND will never join the ACC as a full member but Swoffie doesn’t understand that.)
That’s what he’s trying to do here. Swoffie wants to change the NCAA bylaws so that the ACC can have two unequal divisions. They can then continue their ACC championship game, enhance their TV market for their conference network and keep a spot open for ND as a full member.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=174&f=2580&t=12628738

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Saw this posted on the Maryland board:

Posted: 1/26/2014 5:38 PM
The ACC plans to invite UConn as soon as the NCAA caves in

Here’s what Swofford is trying to do.
He is in dire need of better demographics for the ACC Network. The best option – by far – is UConn, which will go a long way to bring in the NYC market much like Rutgers does for the BTN. However, if Swoffie invites two teams that would pretty much close the door on adding Notre Dame as a full member.
Swoffie wants to add UConn as the ACC’s 15th full member and then keep the 16th spot open for ND. So the ACC would need to maintain unequal numbers in its two divisions for several years until the Irish “come around” and join including football. (ND will never join the ACC as a full member but Swoffie doesn’t understand that.)
That’s what he’s trying to do here. Swoffie wants to change the NCAA bylaws so that the ACC can have two unequal divisions. They can then continue their ACC championship game, enhance their TV market for their conference network and keep a spot open for ND as a full member.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=174&f=2580&t=12628738
Isn't that just HFD at it again? I swear it's word for word another copy of his tweets.

Although, if true, I don't care where it came from....

Reaction Score
Isn't that just HFD at it again? I swear it's word for word another copy of his tweets.

Although, if true, I don't care where it came from....

I thot HFD was pushing the pods angle. 5X3

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I like this one:

buckeye9chuck
Senior
2659 posts this site
Posted: 1/26/2014 6:38 PM
RE: The ACC plans to invite UConn as soon as the NCAA caves in
I was hoping for Uconn for the B1G for their men's and women's basketball programs. Plus they further secure New York for the B1G.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Well this settles it. We are going to be in both the B1G and ACC at the same time. I guess good things do come to those who wait.

Reaction Score
maybe good things do come to those who wait....

I'll ask tonight at dinner when the young man pours our wine.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree that the B1G would be a good fit for Texas should the B1G make a grab for Kansas and Oklahoma, too. The problem is that Texas will want to be treated like the king of the hill in the B1G as it is in the XII and Ohio St and Michigan will have none of that. Ditto for the SEC, who is a much better football culture for Texas, but Alabama, Florida, etc. will not let Texas be the big daddy there and I also wonder if A&M would try to block such a move to keep Texas to itself (and allow a 'weaker' Texas team to join instead, like Baylor). Plus, there is the political question of what to do with Texas Tech, who has no shot at the B1G, if the XII falls apart. Thus, I think the PAC goes to 16 teams and has a 4 team 'East' pod of Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St should the XII collapse. Kansas goes B1G. Not sure what happens to K State.

I don't see UT going out west. I think that was always a diversion. The travel would be terrible, and worst of all, the games would be two time zones later. There's no chance that Texas fans are going to put up with that. So they can either try to shore up the Big XII or suck up their delusions of grandeur and accept a move to the B1G, perhaps with OU, TT and KU.

I don't know why everyone sees a conference imploding. If there is a break with the NCAA at any level, or an 8 team playoff, the policitical reality is that more teams need to be on that ship, not less. That means something closer to 5 conferences of 16. The ACC isn't going anywhere, and the Big XII's biggest problem is that it has been too slow and should have grabbed Louisville and Cinci two years ago.

Reaction Score
Well this settles it. We are going to be in both the B1G and ACC at the same time. I guess good things do come to those who wait.

Each conference is demanding their money's worth. Manual has begun work on the 24 game football schedule and a 56 game basketball schedule. . .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom