Non-Key Tweets | Page 52 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
But I wasn't. I commented on why live sporting events are largely DVR-proof.

If UConn gets an invite to the Big Ten (I think they will, but not in the immediate future. And no, I have nothing concrete. I can only back up my view with circumstantial conjecture and unsubstantiated innuendo), they will have to demonstrate an increased endowment and AAU status, as well as success on the field, court, and ice.

I believe UConn has been left on the vine for three reasons. 1) Bad timing (of sanctions and 3 lost years of football); 2) Both the Big Ten and ACC are waiting to see the effects the of Rutgers has on the BTN in NYC; and 3) Besides their football perception, there were rumors that Louisville was being courted by the Big 12 as well. Louisville was in demand. There was not such demand for UConn.

Umm... you forgot what you wrote?

Husky25: The only bit of reality is the need for DVR proof programming, especially for the BTN. What it means is that hockey and women's basketball mean more to the B1G than to any other conference. UConn is to women's hoops what Notre Dame is to football, even beyond that really. They elevate every team in the league and turn a no-interest sport into one with followers. And we're the only school out there that brings hockey.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You have a hard time with people agreeing with you, huh?

Well... since I was replying to the ideas that:

A. UConn is a candidate for the Big 10 (I don't believe that they are in any way shape or form)
B. There is any impact to BTN revenue driven by women's basketball (it's similar to the impact of bottle deposits on your household revenues)
C. UConn won't be harmed by being in the AAC (Check in next February)
D. Schools like UNC are ever leaving their league

I wouldn't say people were agreeing with me.

I also don't believe that Herbst and/or Warde have any additional insight. What option does Herbst have? Say she gives up? She'd be run out of town by the end of the day.

You want in the Big 10? Figure out how you create enough revenue for the league to make a legitimate impact on what the other schools get. To even generate an incremental $1MM per school, you've got to be worth at least 50MM to the league annually. You'll also need a 2nd school that is available that can generate that revenue - and the schools still have to agree it's worth playing Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Michigan State a little bit less often because you'll be on their schedule.

Delany has made it quite clear it's not about what the Big 10 can do for you, it's what can you do for the Big 10.

Reaction Score

A. UConn is a candidate for the Big 10 (I don't believe that they are in any way shape or form)
B. There is any impact to BTN revenue driven by women's basketball (it's similar to the impact of bottle deposits on your household revenues)

I also don't believe that Herbst and/or Warde have any additional insight. What option does Herbst have? Say she gives up? She'd be run out of town by the end of the day.

You want in the Big 10? Figure out how you create enough revenue for the league to make a legitimate impact on what the other schools get. To even generate an incremental $1MM per school, you've got to be worth at least 50MM to the league annually. You'll also need a 2nd school that is available that can generate that revenue - and the schools still have to agree it's worth playing Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Michigan State a little bit less often because you'll be on their schedule.

Delany has made it quite clear it's not about what the Big 10 can do for you, it's what can you do for the Big 10.
I agree with a lot here but what was he thinking picking Rutgers ? I do not believe they will bring anywhere near the eyeballs he hopes. No way Rutgers is worth 50MM to BIG

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree with a lot here but what was he thinking picking Rutgers ? I do not believe they will bring anywhere near the eyeballs he hopes. No way Rutgers is worth 50MM to BIG

Doesn't matter if anyone watches. It matters if they can add cable subscribers. Fox just bought a controlling stake in YES so they are headed to war with the NYC cable cos.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You responded to the following post:
True. but also depends on what the viewer is doing in the meantime. For instance, my son gets a bath and goes to bed between 7:00 and 8:00 every night, which is primetime for me to cook dinner while my wife gives him the a bath. It's hard to give the UConn game my undivided attention, while I am watching time and temp for dinner. So I DVR the first half of the and start watching as he is being put to sleep. I can pretty much catch up to the end of the game at 9:00 by fast forwarding through commercials and halftime.

Same thing with Football. A DVRed football game can easily be watched in about an hour and a half. If I'm doing yard work or something, I can easily stay away from the score. As Chin says the more time between taping to viewing, the harder it is to avoid knowing the outcome.
What group of letters (called a word) or group of words (called a sentence) or group of sentences (called a paragraph) in the above post has to do with potentially going the Big Ten? Check to see if my post was the one you really wanted to reply to. I'm not convinced it is.

Reaction Score

I think the number is significantly bigger than $50MM. The B1G is not adding any schools if their revenues only increase by a couple million per school.

They forecasted to MD that they would see revenues of $40MM per yr by 2020. In order to add 2 additional teams to get to 16, and move the needle enough to get buy-in from the members, the real number is probably closer to $100MM.

The only schools that have the ability to come close to that number are Texas & maybe North Carolina. As long as Texas has the LHN they won't leave the Big 12 & the ACC would have to implode 1st for Carolina to leave.

IMO, I don't see the B1G expanding for a long, long time

Reaction Score
Doesn't matter if anyone watches. It matters if they can add cable subscribers. Fox just bought a controlling stake in YES so they are headed to war with the NYC cable cos.

This is the key to all of this.

The fight over the MSG network was bad but, this will be much worse. There are many more Yankee fans than Rangers/Knicks fans who will go ballistic if they can't watch baseball all summer.

The naysayers will talk about how baseball attendance at Yankee stadium is declining but that in no way is an indicator of the number of viewers that YES draws.

FOX will get the BTN network on NYC cable, it's just a matter of how much they will get paid for it

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think the number is significantly bigger than $50MM. The B1G is not adding any schools if their revenues only increase by a couple million per school.

They forecasted to MD that they would see revenues of $40MM per yr by 2020. In order to add 2 additional teams to get to 16, and move the needle enough to get buy-in from the members, the real number is probably closer to $100MM.

The only schools that have the ability to come close to that number are Texas & maybe North Carolina. As long as Texas has the LHN they won't leave the Big 12 & the ACC would have to implode 1st for Carolina to leave.

IMO, I don't see the B1G expanding for a long, long time

I think the number all in is a lot bigger than 50 too, but I was trying to be nice.

I still think the Big 10 might wake up some day many years from now and realize if they want to be an actual athletic conference and not a bunch of handjobs counting research money they will come to their senses on Florida State.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You responded to the following post:

What group of letters (called a word) or group of words (called a sentence) or group of sentences (called a paragraph) in the above post has to do with potentially going the Big Ten? Check to see if my post was the one you really wanted to reply to. I'm not convinced it is.

Guy I was replying to the sum of your posts in the thread, sorry if I referenced something you said earlier.

Of course your rules of order don't change the fact that you said it one page prior.

Do you get amnesia about what you write if it isn't quoted for you. I think you might have AUD. Advanced Upstater Disorder.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Quit it with the condescension ( what are you? 70? Who addresses someone as merely, "Guy"?)

You interject youself on a conversation of which you were not a part only to stir up some sort of controversy? If you have an disagreement, issue, or comment otherwise of what i said, quote that post, not one 15 posts up the line. I'm a father of an 18 month old. I don't remember what I did this morning let a lone yesterday, the day before, or when I was 26.

With all due respect (as a UConn fan), you need learn something about context. In the meantime go pick a fight with a former quarterback recruit's father.

Reaction Score
Quit it with the condescension ( what are you? 70? Who addresses someone as merely, "Guy"?)

You interject youself on a conversation of which you were not a part only to stir up some sort of controversy? If you have an disagreement, issue, or comment otherwise of what i said, quote that post, not one 15 posts up the line. I'm a father of an 18 month old. I don't remember what I did this morning let a lone yesterday, the day before, or when I was 26.

With all due respect (as a UConn fan), you need learn something about context. In the meantime go pick a fight with a former quarterback recruit's father.

He does this all the time.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Well, if you're talking to this guy, well, Guy is his name.

untitled.png

Reaction Score
Luke Russert ‏@LukeRussert 7h
#ACC leading the way to overhaul how conferences choose their conference champions http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/67076/acc-votes-to-send-legislation-to-ncaa-regarding-title-game… Call this "The Duke Rule"

Mike ‏@mjmajewski 6h
@LukeRussert rumor is the intent of that rule is so the acc can expand to 15 (uconn).

Go B1G or Go Home ‏@B1GConn 6h
@DRicard1 @mjmajewski @LukeRussert I started this rumor over Xmas break because it's more than a rumor. Since then piece by piece has...

@DRicard1 @mjmajewski @LukeRussert been leaked as the NCAA meetings and other things slowly get done. The B1G is on the clock if they want16

@DRicard1 @mjmajewski @LukeRussert the acc is going to 3 divisions of 5 setup.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
At least HFD has the dignity to say he just starts rumors.

Reaction Score
sigh....There used to be a sort of pride of craft amongst trolls.

Everything is now just so blatant, no subtlety, no camouflage.

Reaction Score
Who knows where this plays out or when, but the ACC is petitioning the NCAA to allow them to host a conference championship even if their membership consists of an odd number. We can argue later about why the NCAA inserted the requirement for an even number. The real question is why is the ACC pushing this? They don't need another member, they are at 14 FT members now (ND does not count). Are they looking for a 15th in FB, and a 16th for all other sports? Are they concerned about the BIG making an offer to UConn, and cutting off the ACC's northern segment, with the crown jewels of DC and NYC firmly resting w/the BIG? There is smoke ....

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
At least HFD has the dignity to say he just starts rumors.
He was at least basing it off what he heard from a source... It wasn't just pulled out of thin air. But, I understand your point.

Reaction Score
gioff23 said:
Who knows where this plays out or when, but the ACC is petitioning the NCAA to allow them to host a conference championship even if their membership consists of an odd number. We can argue later about why the NCAA inserted the requirement for an even number. The real question is why is the ACC pushing this? They don't need another member, they are at 14 FT members now (ND does not count). Are they looking for a 15th in FB, and a 16th for all other sports? Are they concerned about the BIG making an offer to UConn, and cutting off the ACC's northern segment, with the crown jewels of DC and NYC firmly resting w/the BIG? There is smoke ....

Is it possible that they want to make sure that if ND joins, they don't need to add a 16th member? Probably.

Reaction Score
OT...I see 88 on line on the Yard...

The Warchant premium recruiting chat this morning has 5200 on line.

On NSD...one would expect big numbers....Is that 88 accurate?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He was at least basing it off what he heard from a source... It wasn't just pulled out of thin air. But, I understand your point.

Do they teach at J-School that voices in your head are sources? Of course it's completely pulled out of thin air. Everything from every twitter conference realignment guru has been a figment of their imagination.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
OT...I see 88 on line on the Yard...

The Warchant premium recruiting chat this morning has 5200 on line.

On NSD...one would expect big numbers....Is that 88 accurate?
UConn doesn't have a fanbase that was raised on the false hype of rivals and scout recruiting rankings. We aren't all sitting around hoping some 5 star kid flips to us because that doesn't happen for more than maybe 10 schools in the country. Warchant is one of those, correct? Back when the Yard was on rivals, I remember the rivals.com site bombing on NSD constantly.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
If you ask me this is collusion to protect the Big12's ability to stay at 10 and have a championship game further stabilizing the landscape.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Umm... you forgot what you wrote?

Husky25: The only bit of reality is the need for DVR proof programming, especially for the BTN. What it means is that hockey and women's basketball mean more to the B1G than to any other conference. UConn is to women's hoops what Notre Dame is to football, even beyond that really. They elevate every team in the league and turn a no-interest sport into one with followers. And we're the only school out there that brings hockey.

Except that I wrote that.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The programming the BTN already has doesn't generate advertising dollars outside of the college football Saturdays. So DVR proof or not they don't do much in the way of monetizing it past subscription fees.
Whaler - let me give you my take - the Big 10 doesn't care if the brand is damaged- they feel they can make it work. Case in point - Rutgers - they truly feel the power of the Big 10 can overcome 100 years of ineptitude. Or Maryland - they think all the new money and the Brand of the Big 10 will awake a sleeping giant. UCONN twisting in the wind for a few years is nothing compared to these disasters so the Big 10 will move at their own pace.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom