Non-Key Tweets | Page 56 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
We'll disagree. I think you guys are confusing independent with private. UConn is independent too. What's the difference between UConn and Penn State? There is none. Both have independent boards of trustees. The word "state-related" has only been used to refer to PA schools; it doesn't even exist outside of that.

Someone is going to have to define the difference between these schools that receive state subsidies, that have independent boards and controls, and other schools in other states that operate in the same fashion. One key is that when these schools became "state-related" they took over lots of state campuses, which shows the real relationship between the state and the original campus.

Disagree w/ what? They are not subject to non-federal FOI/Open Record requests which is the original premise as to why the terms public/private even came up. Everything else is peripheral noise.

Reaction Score
I think it's irrelevant. Some ACC-Big East games were changed over to conference games when the defections happened. The same could happen if we're in the B1G (and probably more flexibly, if we're not in the same division).
It is a worrisome development though

Reaction Score
Disagree w/ what? They are not subject to non-federal FOI/Open Record requests which is the original premise as to why the terms public/private even came up. Everything else is peripheral noise.

I'm not getting you here. What does the Open Record request have to do with the private/public issue? They are not related. The universities are specifically excluded by Pennsylvania law. I alluded to this in my initial response to kobe when I mentioned political peculiarities. I've also stated over the years many times that these school are excluded by state law.

Reaction Score
I'm not getting you here. What does the Open Record request have to do with the private/public issue? They are not related. The universities are specifically excluded by Pennsylvania law. I alluded to this in my initial response to kobe when I mentioned political peculiarities. I've also stated over the years many times that these school are excluded by state law.

So your statement in red was just a random response to a statement about FOI?
The'-Pitt is a private school, so not subject to FOI
Pitt is a big public school.
It was the genesis of the public/private discussion. Sure appeared you were making an opposing point?

No biggee...

Reaction Score
So your statement in red was just a random response to a statement about FOI?

It was the genesis of the public/private discussion. Sure appeared you were making an opposing point?

No biggee...

Huh?

Why did you highlight my statement in red? I never once said it was anything other than public.

I did write this in response: "The FOI thing is simply a peculiarity of PA. politics."

Reaction Score
Huh?

Why did you highlight my statement in red? I never once said it was anything other than public.

I did write this in response: "The FOI thing is simply a peculiarity of PA. politics."

But it's not a public school... it's a hybrid as the link I provided clarifies (and my intent in posting it was only to the point about whether emails/records were subject to FOI). I could care less how PA structures their higher education system.

Not worth a debate.. back to the hockey game intermission is over.

Reaction Score
All public schools are hybrids. Every single one takes taxpayer subsidy but also includes a private foundation that is not subject to FOI requests. I'm simply saying that PSU and Pitt are no different than a great many public schools that are hybrids (ie. that get funding from many sources).

Reaction Score
I may not always agree with Upstater, but he has this one right. Pitt, PSU, and Temple are not part of the PA state school system (PASSHE), but are state affiliated and receive some state funding. By receiving any state funding, these schools are considered public and would typically be required to share information under the Freedom of Information or Open Records laws. Pennsylvania law has given these universities exemptions to those laws. Therefore, any private records can only be obtained by court order and Pitt will argue to have these records sealed.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Public school, exempted from most FOI requests by PA state law.

UConn does not have a similar exemption from CT.

Reaction Score
I may not always agree with Upstater, but he has this one right. Pitt, PSU, and Temple are not part of the PA state school system (PASSHE), but are state affiliated and receive some state funding. By receiving any state funding, these schools are considered public and would typically be required to share information under the Freedom of Information or Open Records laws. Pennsylvania law has given these universities exemptions to those laws. Therefore, any private records can only be obtained by court order and Pitt will argue to have these records sealed.

Correct - They are not part of PASSHE (nobody said they are) but they ARE part of the Commonwealth System of Higher Education( as linked in post #1377) which explains the uniqueness of what "state related status" means in PA. Not even sure why this is a point of contention - everyone seems to agree that nobody ain't getting any emails from Pitt via open records request/FOI due to the designation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Correct - They are not part of PASSHE but they ARE part of the Commonwealth System of Higher Education( as pointed out in post #1377) which explains what "state related status" means.

This makes Pitt a public school, not a private school. As a public entity, Pitt would be subject to FOI and open records requests, but PA laws give them exemptions to FOI, which is what this argument was really about. Arguing over the private/public status of Pitt is irrelevant if Pitt and PSU are protected by PA laws.

Maybe Pitt and Wake were asked to talk with B1G schools because of protection from FOI, but how damning can this information really be? Phone calls between Pitt and PSU take place daily, including between athletic departments to discuss scheduling. And if PSU was asked to join the ACC, how is that different than MD being asked to join the B1G (except for that MD actual accepted)?

Reaction Score
MH3 ‏@MH3 5h
Espn saying expansion is over is like when ToTo pulled back the curtain. And only quoting Swofford! LoL

MH3 ‏@MH3 5h
This is all damage control because the real story is In those documents Pitt has to turn over.

Reaction Score
Tuxedo Yoda ‏@TuxedoYoda 7h
When DirectTV picks up LHN, time for Texas to become a fball independent. If that kills B12, where does Texas park its other sports? ACC?

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
I just don't see Texas going independent... even ND is giving in some to some hybrid approach. Texas loses automatic tie in if successful and of late they haven't looked up to Texas standards...

But I will bite. Oklahoma then goes to SEC leaving everyone else behind. It could mean that the vultures circle and a Kansas heads BIG and gives Uconn a partner finally. More likely I feel that Big 12 panics and invites Cincy and BYU. West Virginia fans start to cry...

pj

Reaction Score
Tuxedo Yoda ‏@TuxedoYoda 7h
When DirectTV picks up LHN, time for Texas to become a fball independent. If that kills B12, where does Texas park its other sports? ACC?

If Texas becomes a football independent, that's quite good for UConn. May make it feasible for us to become independent too, or open up realignment again. At worst, it might free up B12 schools for the AAC (or a new "best of" conference).

I wouldn't mind being back in a conference with West Virginia again.

As far as Texas parking its other sports, why wouldn't it try to mimic the Notre Dame deal -- put its other sports in a conference, and do a scheduling agreement in football with that conference, easing its scheduling issues? Presumably the Pac and ACC would be willing to do that deal; the B1G might consider it.

Reaction Score
Chip Brown ‏@ChipBrownOB Mar 3
Long-awaited breakthrough. ... RT @MsPotts_ESPN: DISH signs on for LHN and SEC Networks; part of larger Disney deal: http://Post original url/1diTEmT

Reaction Score
If Texas becomes a football independent, that's quite good for UConn. May make it feasible for us to become independent too, or open up realignment again. At worst, it might free up B12 schools for the AAC (or a new "best of" conference).

I wouldn't mind being back in a conference with West Virginia again.

As far as Texas parking its other sports, why wouldn't it try to mimic the Notre Dame deal -- put its other sports in a conference, and do a scheduling agreement in football with that conference, easing its scheduling issues? Presumably the Pac and ACC would be willing to do that deal; the B1G might consider it.

Another mega millions winner

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Other than their rivalry with OU, I honestly don't see any reason for Texas to stay in the B12 long term. At some point, OU (and others) are going to reach a breaking point just like Colorado, Missouri and A&M did at the revenue disparity between Texas and everyone else and bolt. The PAC would obviously scoop up a few schools and I can see the SEC scooping up 1-2 schools. The B1G would likely look into Kansas and maybe try to find another partner for Nebraska. Schools like Iowa St, Kansas St, WVU, Baylor, and Texas Tech could partner up with the Mountain West or AAC and wait in purgatory with us until we're tapped again.

Reaction Score
Lol, other than their rivalry with Michigan, I honestly don't see any reason for Ohio State to stay in the B10 long term. Other than their rivalry with Miami, I really don't see any reason for FSU to stay in the ACC long term. Other than their rivalry with Auburn, I really don't see any reason for Alabama to stay in the SEC. This nonsense is the epitome of ridiculous, these bash the BIG 12 posts.

There isn't going to be a time when the BIG 12 breaks up, but you go ahead and keep smoking whatever your smoking and perhaps you'll come down from your induced fantasy by 2025 when the BIG 12 has signed onto its new tv deals and all its existing members are still there.

Can't wait to hear the spin from the haters then.

Seriously, every conference has top revenue earners and schools that make much less. Its not an issue in the BIG 12 conference as all schools are doing very well financially. Seems some of you have been paying way to much attention to the message board lies out there.

Reaction Score
Buckaineer: you're going on the air for rebuttal in 3,2,1 ...

I have no problem with rebuttal when I see idiocy repeated.

Post a link when someone from the University of Texas states they are going independant when the LHN is picked up by anyone.

The entire idea is ridiculous on its face. Texas makes guaranteed money from the LHN, but it doesn't surpass the huge $$ they will be paid out from the BIG 12. Being a part of the BIG 12 has allowed Texas to become the wealthiest college athletic program in America by far. Obviously this has made many of you extremely jealous.

Better get used to your feelings of inadequacy--Texas isn't going anywhere.

Reaction Score
This makes Pitt a public school, not a private school. As a public entity, Pitt would be subject to FOI and open records requests, but PA laws give them exemptions to FOI, which is what this argument was really about. Arguing over the private/public status of Pitt is irrelevant if Pitt and PSU are protected by PA laws.

Maybe Pitt and Wake were asked to talk with B1G schools because of protection from FOI, but how damning can this information really be? Phone calls between Pitt and PSU take place daily, including between athletic departments to discuss scheduling. And if PSU was asked to join the ACC, how is that different than MD being asked to join the B1G (except for that MD actual accepted)?

The ACC approached Big Ten schools after the ACC knew Maryland was going there. Maryland had explained the very serious financial reasons that caused them to seek a more stable conference--by trying to weaken the Big Ten the ACC may be guilty of illegal interference with Maryland's move.

Not to mention the bad exposure this gives the ACC and its tv partners when everyone sees in a court of law how the league acted to rip apart other conferences, while at the same time crying about and creating blocking mechanisms to try and stop their own schools from leaving them.

Reaction Score
Being a part of the BIG 12 has allowed Texas to become the wealthiest college athletic program in America by far. Obviously this has made many of you extremely jealous.

You've got the cart before the horse.

Better get used to your feelings of inadequacy

WVU is in the same conference as UTx; WVU is not in the same league as UTx. Keep that in perspective when addressing "adequacy/inadequacy". If WVU were so "adequate", they would not be relegated to a conference awash in mistrust and instability, and 600 miles from their nearest "rival".... when the SEC, B1G, and ACC are all entrenched in the Power 5 power-structure and much more geographically sensible for WVU. The SEC, B1G, and ACC have not viewed WVU as "adequate".

--Texas isn't going anywhere.
Texas will do what is best for Texas, period, with NO consideration for WVU or anyone else in the Big XII. Texas stays in the Big XII as long as it best serves Texas -- and only that long.

Reaction Score
Schools like Iowa St, Kansas St, WVU, Baylor, and Texas Tech could partner up with the Mountain West or AAC and wait in purgatory with us until we're tapped again.
Clearly UConn and Cincinnati are a class above the rest of the AAC; clearly UTx, OU, and KU are a class above the rest of the Big XII. The sooner the top of the Big XII joins power conferences of peers and then the rest of the Big XII allies with the top of the AAC*, the closer we'll be to balance and equilibrium.

^*^ With UConn being undoubtedly the #1 school of the AAC, hopefully UConn can get into B1G or ACC. Cincinnati has no shot at B1G, though they may have a shot at ACC... and I think it would be a fascinating gambit if SEC "invaded" B1G/Ohio territory and took the Bearcats.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom