Non-Key Tweets | Page 53 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
UConn doesn't have a fanbase that was raised on the false hype of rivals and scout recruiting rankings. We aren't all sitting around hoping some 5 star kid flips to us because that doesn't happen for more than maybe 10 schools in the country. Warchant is one of those, correct? Back when the Yard was on rivals, I remember the rivals.com site bombing on NSD constantly.

LOL Rivals crashed again a few minutes ago.

Reaction Score
UConn doesn't have a fanbase that was raised on the false hype of rivals and scout recruiting rankings. We aren't all sitting around hoping some 5 star kid flips to us because that doesn't happen for more than maybe 10 schools in the country. Warchant is one of those, correct? Back when the Yard was on rivals, I remember the rivals.com site bombing on NSD constantly.

Yep...I see that NSD may not mean that much up there.

Down south, it's an official holiday. People don't go in to work or those that can monitor from work do.

There are three sports ....football, football recruiting, and spring football (can you believe that Alabama has sold 90,000 tickets to the spring game?).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yep...I see that NSD may not mean that much up there.

Down south, it's an official holiday. People don't go in to work or those that can monitor from work do.

There are three sports ....football, football recruiting, and spring football (can you believe that Alabama has sold 90,000 tickets to the spring game?).

Yep. Every local sports radio station has day long coverage, newspapers have their cameramen going to all the HS's and the evening news will have plenty of video feed from today.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Quit it with the condescension ( what are you? 70? Who addresses someone as merely, "Guy"?)

You interject youself on a conversation of which you were not a part only to stir up some sort of controversy? If you have an disagreement, issue, or comment otherwise of what i said, quote that post, not one 15 posts up the line. I'm a father of an 18 month old. I don't remember what I did this morning let a lone yesterday, the day before, or when I was 26.

With all due respect (as a UConn fan), you need learn something about context. In the meantime go pick a fight with a former quarterback recruit's father.

My apologies your avatars are very similar and I attributed something HH said to you. My fault 100%.

Btw Mr Lagow and I are boys now so you can rest easy on that one.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You know I love HFD for keeping us in the conversation, even if that is only among message board types, but at the same time I sometimes read his stuff and start getting psyched...until I realize it is just Dan.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Including guests, I saw there were around 1,500 people on the Boneyard currently.

Not sure if guests were part of that FSU number. Regardless, a truly national team coming off a national title I would expect to be pretty high.

I wonder what it numbers look like compared to our regional teams.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
You know I love HFD for keeping us in the conversation, even if that is only among message board types, but at the same time I sometimes read his stuff and start getting psyched...until I realize it is just Dan.
Embrace the delusion.

Reaction Score
Including guests, I saw there were around 1,500 people on the Boneyard currently.

Not sure if guests were part of that FSU number. Regardless, a truly national team coming off a national title I would expect to be pretty high.

I wonder what it numbers look like compared to our regional teams.

No guests on the premium recruiting board...I pay.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Scout and Rivals both game their on-line statistics - it's not the number of people currently on the site, it's the number of people who have been on the site during the past 12/24/36 hours, depending on how the publisher sets it. Everyone sets it to the max which is why even small sites like Providence, etc. will have a relatively large number. (Do you think there are 511 people currently on Scout's PC site?)

I don't remember what setting I used before we left Scout, but the site count here now is generally dead accurate. Since we're not a pay site and we don't force people to register, guests will generally outnumber registered members by a factor of 3-5.

Reaction Score
Who knows where this plays out or when, but the ACC is petitioning the NCAA to allow them to host a conference championship even if their membership consists of an odd number. We can argue later about why the NCAA inserted the requirement for an even number. The real question is why is the ACC pushing this? They don't need another member, they are at 14 FT members now (ND does not count). Are they looking for a 15th in FB, and a 16th for all other sports? Are they concerned about the BIG making an offer to UConn, and cutting off the ACC's northern segment, with the crown jewels of DC and NYC firmly resting w/the BIG? There is smoke ....

I agree that there is logic to this; but, because it makes sense, UConn has learned it will never happen. With all of the simmering animosity between UConn and certain ACC schools, I honestly believe that Cincy has a better chance getting into the ACC than UConn. The Bearcats give the ACC a foothold in the Midwest, regional rivals to Pitt and Louisville, a better football program over the last 20 years, and a decent basketball program.
Thus, I am going to go back to reading something slightly more reliable than the CR rumor mill – the weather forecast! :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who knows where this plays out or when, but the ACC is petitioning the NCAA to allow them to host a conference championship even if their membership consists of an odd number. We can argue later about why the NCAA inserted the requirement for an even number. The real question is why is the ACC pushing this? They don't need another member, they are at 14 FT members now (ND does not count). Are they looking for a 15th in FB, and a 16th for all other sports? Are they concerned about the BIG making an offer to UConn, and cutting off the ACC's northern segment, with the crown jewels of DC and NYC firmly resting w/the BIG? There is smoke ....

Unfortunately, I think it has more to do with positioning for a playoff spot. The ACC can't afford to have their top ranked team play a team ranked on the outskirts of the top 25 for the ACC championship. The ACC will typically have no more than 2 teams ranked in the top 15, so it becomes imperative for those two teams to play each other for the championship. For example, FSU has a close OOC loss to a top ten team to open the season, but runs the table in conference play. That team needs a win over a significant ranked team to have a chance for a playoff spot.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Scout and Rivals both game their on-line statistics - it's not the number of people currently on the site, it's the number of people who have been on the site during the past 12/24/36 hours, depending on how the publisher sets it. Everyone sets it to the max which is why even small sites like Providence, etc. will have a relatively large number. (Do you think there are 511 people currently on Scout's PC site?)

I don't remember what setting I used before we left Scout, but the site count here now is generally dead accurate. Since we're not a pay site and we don't force people to register, guests will generally outnumber registered members by a factor of 3-5.

I remember seeing that shortly after we ditched Scout for here. I went back there to look at something and saw my user name as being "online" at the time. I looked at the box on top and I wasn't logged in. Two days later I checked back and I was still listed as a user online.

Reaction Score
I agree that there is logic to this; but, because it makes sense, UConn has learned it will never happen. With all of the simmering animosity between UConn and certain ACC schools, I honestly believe that Cincy has a better chance getting into the ACC than UConn. The Bearcats give the ACC a foothold in the Midwest, regional rivals to Pitt and Louisville, a better football program over the last 20 years, and a decent basketball program.
Thus, I am going to go back to reading something slightly more reliable than the CR rumor mill – the weather forecast! :D

I know we have been conditioned to assume the worst, but I highly doubt that the ACC would take Cincy over UCONN. I think they would be more interested in locking down the northeast then they would be in securing a tiny bit of Ohio, plus UCONN is the better add.

HFD is known for his crazy theories, but this one isn't crazy, it may not be true, but it's not crazy.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think the ACC is positioning itself to just have 1 14 team football conference and st the end of the season the two highest ranked teams will play. I think they do this in order to get the two best teams in the championship game and in order to create a very tv friendly schedule and to avoid the complaints and dissension in the division setup.

Is there any chance the ACC is petitioning the NCAA to allow uneven divisions to include UConn? One in a million shot. The one shot is ESPN saying add UConn and the payout increases by x, but we're only paying for UConn and not a 16th football member. Again, a total long shot but that would be the reasoning.

Reaction Score
I think the ACC is positioning itself to just have 1 14 team football conference and st the end of the season the two highest ranked teams will play. I think they do this in order to get the two best teams in the championship game and in order to create a very tv friendly schedule and to avoid the complaints and dissension in the division setup.

Is there any chance the ACC is petitioning the NCAA to allow uneven divisions to include UConn? One in a million shot. The one shot is ESPN saying add UConn and the payout increases by x, but we're only paying for UConn and not a 16th football member. Again, a total long shot but that would be the reasoning.

I think UCONN’s best bet with the ACC revolves around the formation of an ACC network. UCONN adds to much value in location, carriage fees and top level content in Olympic sports for ESPN in an ACC network.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

My understanding is that traditional ACC rivals are tired of not playing each other annually yet forced into divisions with NE teams they have no history with.

Reaction Score
My understanding is that traditional ACC rivals are tired of not playing each other annually yet forced into divisions with NE teams they have no history with.

So they set up three divisions of 5 and just ignore the northeast division when picking the two teams for their championship game. It actually makes sense.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Purely speculation on my part but as all the talk back when it looked like the B-12 was history was that Texas wanted to eventually go independent (after giving the LHN about a dozen years to develop), my belief is that the ACC is holding out for the day they can offer Texas the same deal ND has. I see this as about a decade away.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
So they set up three divisions of 5 and just ignore the northeast division when picking the two teams for their championship game. It actually makes sense.
It seems plausible.

Reaction Score
Purely speculation on my part but as all the talk back when it looked like the B-12 was history was that Texas wanted to eventually go independent (after giving the LHN about a dozen years to develop), my belief is that the ACC is holding out for the day they can offer Texas the same deal ND has. I see this as about a decade away.

ACC offered ND the hybrid option during a moment of weakness with the hopes of eventual full time membership. Many of the schools in the ACC will find out over time that ND has a sweetheart deal and really doesn't play well with others. In a few years, I don't think the ACC will be too happy with the ND deal.

I seriously doubt that the ACC would ever offer a hybrid option to Texas, especially after they experience ND. And, having Olympic sports include Texas makes no sense due to travel. The travel would kill Texas sports. LT, I think either Texas joins the Pac 12 with a pod of local schools (Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Texas Tech) or a pod of the Big 12 joins with pods of the ACC to form a new conference.

Reaction Score
ACC offered ND the hybrid option during a moment of weakness with the hopes of eventual full time membership. Many of the schools in the ACC will find out over time that ND has a sweetheart deal and really doesn't play well with others. In a few years, I don't think the ACC will be too happy with the ND deal.

I seriously doubt that the ACC would ever offer a hybrid option to Texas, especially after they experience ND. And, having Olympic sports include Texas makes no sense due to travel. The travel would kill Texas sports. LT, I think either Texas joins the Pac 12 with a pod of local schools (Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Texas Tech) or a pod of the Big 12 joins with pods of the ACC to form a new conference.

If the XII was to die, I believe athletically, the SEC makes most sense for Texas (win at football at any cost), and culturally the B1G makes the most sense (state flagship, good Olympic sports and strong academics); but, because Texas wants to be treated special and its political need to take care of its little cousin (Texas Tech), I believe Texas will end up in the PAC.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I remember seeing that shortly after we ditched Scout for here. I went back there to look at something and saw my user name as being "online" at the time. I looked at the box on top and I wasn't logged in. Two days later I checked back and I was still listed as a user online.

Same with me and I had been blackballed days earlier. For no good reason I might add.

Reaction Score
I'm sure I am missing the view of some arguing the ACC is merely asking that it let its 2 best teams play for the conf championship - but, can you imagine the next AD meeting - hey, any of you freeloaders from north of the Mason-Dixon line, you can come in to the party, but don't even dare make eye contact w/the punch bowl, that's just for schools south of Charlottesville. Now, go get us another keg, and be fast about it. Run along

Reaction Score

Without that kind of Pod the travel for Texas in the PAC is just as bad.
The major areas of Texas are in the Central time zone . Of the PAC teams only Utah Colo, are Mountain time. AZ is on PST during most of football season. SEC is Texas's best option.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

You need to keep in mind that what the ACC will get from ND in this arrangement (four football games each year, split evenly home and away, spread equally among all conference members) is far better than anything the BE got from ND. Additionally, the ACC is not so limited in bowl tie-ins that ND being available during stray years to one of those bowl committees won't force the second or third best team in the conference down to a worthless bowl bid. Having the possibility of ND in the mix may in fact add another reasonably good bowl tie-in to the mix (as opposed to where we were when without being able to offer ND we had no shot at any top tier bowl beyond the guaranteed BCS spot. Finally, if in eight to ten years the ACC could land Texas in a deal similar to what ND received, the result could very well be similar. Adding ND with their partial football arrangement killed the BE, something that benefited the ACC greatly. Landing Texas woul;d deliver a very similar blow to the B-12, who along with the ACC is fighting for the fourth spot in what most believe will eventually be a four conference top level of collegiate athletics.

I don't like the ACC, ND or Texas but the above scenario is very plausible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom