Non-Key Tweets | Page 51 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What is live "DVR Proof" programming? I don't understand what that means? Items watched on a DVR still count towards the ratings.

DVR means you have to watch the ads during the breaks. No fast-forwarding or skipping them.

Sporting events are one of the few remaining television events that people want to watch in real time. It isn't sitcoms or reality TV that you can watch a day later.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The only bit of reality is the need for DVR proof programming, especially for the BTN. What it means is that hockey and women's basketball mean more to the B1G than to any other conference. UConn is to women's hoops what Notre Dame is to football, even beyond that really. They elevate every team in the league and turn a no-interest sport into one with followers. And we're the only school out there that brings hockey. None of the ACC or Big XII targets do.

I'm not saying it's enough. I'm saying that as football rights the ship, basketball shows that it will remain elite, women's hoop wins another title, hockey steps up to HE, soccer has another strong run and we edge closer to AAU status, those things added to our campus growth, academics and solid market we become increasingly attractive to the B1G. The ACC, with no network, devalues most those things. The only thing that would trigger an ACC invite is the fear that we'd get a B1G invite.

Yet here UConn is with no invite to either. Why would the Big 10 risk UConn being damaged by the AAC if they wanted them? I'll hang up and listen to your response.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The programming the BTN already has doesn't generate advertising dollars outside of the college football Saturdays. So DVR proof or not they don't do much in the way of monetizing it past subscription fees.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He means it's tough to DVR live sporting events and stay deaf, dumb and blind to the score via other media outlets.

The importance of this is that advertisers increasingly pay less for regular programming, assuming that the ads will be skipped when people DVR and watch later. Live sports isn't immune to this, but it is much more resistant to it. That's why there is now a premium on sports programming. Even at lower ratings than a sitcom or prime time drama, the ad revenue can be higher. News programming is fairly high value as well, for the same reason.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yet here UConn is with no invite to either. Why would the Big 10 risk UConn being damaged by the AAC if they wanted them? I'll hang up and listen to your response.

How are we being damaged? Is any sport at UConn trending down from 2012-13? Any of them? Our Big East exit fee haul keeps us afloat for a few years. I never said they wanted us now, just that if football turns around, AAU is imminent, and enrollment keeps increasing, we'd be a very good fit. They can afford to wait and don't have a 16th either right now.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
whaler11 said:

Because neither the B1G, ACC, nor any other conference will be irreparably harmed by not adding UConn.

These conferences needed bodies to add value to TV contracts and depth to their membership to ward against defections of their own.

None of the P-5 is in danger of collapse the way that the BE was, until one league (B12, ACC) falls far enough behind that a key school (TX or UNC) decides to bolt for bigger dollars. Once blood is in the water again, B1G and SEC attack, the other non P12 conference picks up a few pieces and we're down to the P-4.

Outside of that, you may see one/two minor schools backfilling to 16 in one or more conferences, but either case will take a number of years for the financial effects of this last round to shake out.

I'd like to think the new BTN deal with FOX is enough for the B1G to pick us en route to 16, but I'm not sure it's enough of an incentive to move the presidents.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How are we being damaged? Is any sport at UConn trending down from 2012-13? Any of them? Our Big East exit fee haul keeps us afloat for a few years. I never said they wanted us now, just that if football turns around, AAU is imminent, and enrollment keeps increasing, we'd be a very good fit. They can afford to wait and don't have a 16th either right now.

How are we being damaged in the AAC? You are being serious?

There is only one sport that matters, and yes it's not trending downwards only because it was already at rock bottom.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Because neither the B1G, ACC, nor any other conference will be irreparably harmed by not adding UConn.

These conferences needed bodies to add value to TV contracts and depth to their membership to ward against defections of their own.

None of the P-5 is in danger of collapse the way that the BE was, until one league (B12, ACC) falls far enough behind that a key school (TX or UNC) decides to bolt for bigger dollars. Once blood is in the water again, B1G and SEC attack, the other non P12 conference picks up a few pieces and we're down to the P-4.

Outside of that, you may see one/two minor schools backfilling to 16 in one or more conferences, but either case will take a number of years for the financial effects of this last round to shake out.

I'd like to think the new BTN deal with FOX is enough for the B1G to pick us en route to 16, but I'm not sure it's enough of an incentive to move the presidents.

Right so this idea that the Big 10 is sitting around waiting to send us roses and take us to the prom once we get our braces off is just silly.

UNC is the funniest one. Hell freezing over is an understatement when talking about them leaving the ACC. That Rutgers is in the Big 10 tells you the Big 10 could not land a fish anyone would want.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
How are we being damaged in the AAC? You are being serious?

There is only one sport that matters, and yes it's not trending downwards only because it was already at rock bottom.

The damage is long term, not immediate. The AAC is a curable cancer, but it isn't a bite from a coral snake. It won't kill us quickly.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The importance of this is that advertisers increasingly pay less for regular programming, assuming that the ads will be skipped when people DVR and watch later. Live sports isn't immune to this, but it is much more resistant to it. That's why there is now a premium on sports programming. Even at lower ratings than a sitcom or prime time drama, the ad revenue can be higher. News programming is fairly high value as well, for the same reason.

True. but also depends on what the viewer is doing in the meantime. For instance, my son gets a bath and goes to bed between 7:00 and 8:00 every night, which is primetime for me to cook dinner while my wife gives him the a bath. It's hard to give the UConn game my undivided attention, while I am watching time and temp for dinner. So I DVR the first half of the and start watching as he is being put to sleep. I can pretty much catch up to the end of the game at 9:00 by fast forwarding through commercials and halftime.

Same thing with Football. A DVRed football game can easily be watched in about an hour and a half. If I'm doing yard work or something, I can easily stay away from the score. As Chin says the more time between taping to viewing, the harder it is to avoid knowing the outcome.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
True. but also depends on what the viewer is doing in the meantime. For instance, my son gets a bath and goes to bed between 7:00 and 8:00 every night, which is primetime for me to cook dinner while my wife gives him the a bath. It's hard to give the UConn game my undivided attention, while I am watching time and temp for dinner. So I DVR the first half of the and start watching as he is being put to sleep. I can pretty much catch up to the end of the game at 9:00 by fast forwarding through commercials and halftime.

Same thing with Football. A DVRed football game can easily be watched in about an hour and a half. If I'm doing yard work or something, I can easily stay away from the score. As Chin says the more time between taping to viewing, the harder it is to avoid knowing the outcome.

All of which is not new... and UConn remains in the AAC with no evidence that is going to change outside of the Big 10 fever dreams posted on the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
They don't care about whether we are damaged or not. They did research on us, we didn't meet their metrics.

If we get AAU, improve our football team, and keep our basketball team (both) winning, suddenly we might look more impressive. Especially if we can also keep our ratings up. And then, when the B1G reevaluates teams for expansion, suddenly we fit those metrics.

That's the best case scenario.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They don't care about whether we are damaged or not. They did research on us, we didn't meet their metrics.

If we get AAU, improve our football team, and keep our basketball team (both) winning, suddenly we might look more impressive. Especially if we can also keep our ratings up. And then, when the B1G reevaluates teams for expansion, suddenly we fit those metrics.

That's the best case scenario.

If they don't care if we are damaged they aren't too interested - which would be my point. If they were interested they wouldn't risk letting UConn wither on the AAC vine.

I'd love to understand how a case could be made that UConn could improve the metrics while in the AAC - since there doesn't seem to be a case beyond blind faith.

Husky25

Reaction Score
All of which is not new... and UConn remains in the AAC with no evidence that is going to change outside of the Big 10 fever dreams posted on the Boneyard.
What does being in the AAC and Big Ten fever dreams have to do with my UConn viewing process? I do not mention UConn's predicament because I cannot do anything about it. On the other hand. I do not think President Herbst and Athletic Director Manuel are just sitting on their hands, or playing solitaire at their desk everyday. I'm well aware of UConn's current Conference position, as I'm sure they are. I am hoping for a Big Ten invite at some point and I think the ACC is a consolation prize, but again, I do not comment (very much) on it. It's a waste of time.

Reaction Score
I have been a proponent of UConn to the B1G for a few years.
My reasons were primarily the BiG is a much better cultural fit.
It's actually a no brainer move on their part.
Heck Ohio was part of Connecticut at one time. The roots of many Midwesterners run through New England.
I had pretty much given up seeing it in my lifetime. The reasons were lack of a partner, AAU status, and relative size of the UConn In a number of key metrics.

The reason I believe it's a lot closer than originally thought is ESPN.
By any business strategy we're one of their top properties in the richest basketball area of the country. They should be pumping us up.
I'm not a conspiracy guy but they have gone out of the way to do the opposite.

There can be only two reasons for their bizarre behavior.
One. even though they got the AAC cheap,they are committed to the ACC so much that a popular AAC will hurt the ACC strategy. The AAC contract is relatively short term. The next round will be much more costly.
I don't believe that.
Two UConn's departure is imminent and based on the crazy AAC contract ESPN will lose a top property and significant revenue.
The B1G 10 network becomes a significant player in their own back yard. In fact in their own state.
Their only other option was to force the ACC to take us. I suspect that was their plan B, but for some reason it failed. Probably our football team.
I really don't believe in personal vendettas as business decisions revolve around money.
I know we have some stanch ESPN defenders on this board . I would love to hear their Apologia.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What does being in the AAC and Big Ten fever dreams have to do with my UConn viewing process? I do not mention UConn's predicament because I cannot do anything about it. On the other hand. I do not think President Herbst and Athletic Director Manuel are just sitting on their hands, or playing solitaire at their desk everyday. I'm well aware of UConn's current Conference position, as I'm sure they are. I am hoping for a Big Ten invite at some point and I think the ACC is a consolation prize, but again, I do not comment (very much) on it. It's a waste of time.

It has nothing to do with your viewing process. You seem to be making the case they are interested in UConn because of sports programming and DVR's... A dynamic that already exists and UConn remains in the AAC - so it's hard to understand why you think that dynamic is going to change anything for UConn.

Husky25

Reaction Score
It has nothing to do with your viewing process. You seem to be making the case they are interested in UConn because of sports programming and DVR's... A dynamic that already exists and UConn remains in the AAC - so it's hard to understand why you think that dynamic is going to change anything for UConn.
But I wasn't. I commented on why live sporting events are largely DVR-proof.

If UConn gets an invite to the Big Ten (I think they will, but not in the immediate future. And no, I have nothing concrete. I can only back up my view with circumstantial conjecture and unsubstantiated innuendo), they will have to demonstrate an increased endowment and AAU status, as well as success on the field, court, and ice.

I believe UConn has been left on the vine for three reasons. 1) Bad timing (of sanctions and 3 lost years of football); 2) Both the Big Ten and ACC are waiting to see the effects the of Rutgers has on the BTN in NYC; and 3) Besides their football perception, there were rumors that Louisville was being courted by the Big 12 as well. Louisville was in demand. There was not such demand for UConn.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
Right so this idea that the Big 10 is sitting around waiting to send us roses and take us to the prom once we get our braces off is just silly.

UNC is the funniest one. Hell freezing over is an understatement when talking about them leaving the ACC. That Rutgers is in the Big 10 tells you the Big 10 could not land a fish anyone would want.

You have a hard time with people agreeing with you, huh?

Reaction Score
If they don't care if we are damaged they aren't too interested - which would be my point. If they were interested they wouldn't risk letting UConn wither on the AAC vine.

I'd love to understand how a case could be made that UConn could improve the metrics while in the AAC - since there doesn't seem to be a case beyond blind faith.
I suspect they're keeping an eye on UConn, and other schools (some currently under GOR), as they should with due diligence.

I think our football will be improved, at least record and perception-wise, in the AAC.

Our Men's Basketball program is being hurt in the sense that there is less wiggle room for good seeds. But the recruiting hasn't really seemed to drop off one bit.

I think if we're performing well in the AAC, and our academics keep rising, we won't be hurt as much as we think.

But, I guess my point is that UConn isn't their concern. We failed their metrics, they'll keep tabs on us and others, and make a decision in a few years. If we survive those intervening years well enough (basketball seems fine, football likely improves record-wise, academics keep up), we'll get picked up. If not, well, that would suck, but not the B1G's concern.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I honestly think it's much more likely the Big12 breaks up (say Texas indy, OU/KU B1G) and we end up in an "eastern" Big12 division with Cinci, WV, UCF, USF and maybe a Memphis or ECU.

Still not ideal, but A LOT better than our current situation.

I think the B1G is a long shot, but a more reasonable long shot than the ACC. I fdon't think we'll ever be invited there.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
ConnHuskBask said:
I honestly think it's much more likely the Big12 breaks up (say Texas indy, OU/KU B1G) and we end up in an "eastern" Big12 division with Cinci, WV, UCF, USF and maybe a Memphis or ECU.

Still not ideal, but A LOT better than our current situation.

I think the B1G is a long shot, but a more reasonable long shot than the ACC. I fdon't think we'll ever be invited there.

I think ACC and B1G are equally likely. Problem is that combined, they are as.likely as an extended run in the AAC and it's successors.

Reaction Score
Jim Delany is 65 years old. Let's hope he doesn't want to waste his final years hoping he can outlive these GOR's and he finds a way to invite two more schools by the time the BTN negotiations are finalized.

I really like the direction our entire athletic department is moving now with Diaco, Ollie, Geno, Cavanaugh, etc. carrying us forward. Meanwhile Susan and the state keep doing what their doing to keep raising us to higher academic places then we have ever been. Let the chips fall where they may over the next couple years.

Reaction Score
Jim Delany is 65 years old. Let's hope he doesn't want to waste his final years hoping he can outlive these GOR's and he finds a way to invite two more schools by the time the BTN negotiations are finalized.

I really like the direction our entire athletic department is moving now with Diaco, Ollie, Geno, Cavanaugh, etc. carrying us forward. Meanwhile Susan and the state keep doing what their doing to keep raising us to higher academic places then we have ever been. Let the chips fall where they may over the next couple years.

The biggest reason behind my belief that we will get out of the AAC is the way UConn (athletics specifically) has aggressively moved forward since the BE break up. Academic improvement should be the goal of any president but I think SH has acted as an ambassador of athletics MUCH more than you typical president. When it comes to WM and the entire UConn athletic department, they have actively decided to invest greatly (in hockey, football, basketball and overall fan relations) in a time of obvious revenue decline. This can only mean one of two things:

1. WM and SH are blindly doubling down on our university in attempts to keep up with the Jones' so to speak.

OR

2. They know for a fact or are fairly confident that UConn will be out of the AAC in the next 2-6 years.

This is very simplistic and I know that there our other universities making investments outside of the P5 (stadiums @ Cincy, Houston, Tulane) but in UConn's current position of a 60M+ budget it makes no sense to take on more expenses without more revenue. When schools like Temple are cutting sports in the AAC we are spending more money: a high level hockey program [plus equivillent title IX expenditures], increase in football expenses, commitment to basketball facilities.

This may be a reach and I doubt there is an invite on the table but I believe SH and WM have some inside info as to the market value of UConn to other conferences and potential changes in the short/medium-term future. Ideally, the B1G will invite us in 20 minutes and save us the months/years of stress, frustration and diminished work productivity this CR forum has caused.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom