Non-Key Tweets | Page 240 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
@slmandel: Five years ago this week, the world waited on Texas. Are the 'Horns any better or worse off today for staying put? http://post original url/BP1FVWpNOq

SI view on biggest winners and losers in conference shuffle.

Reaction Score
He1nousOne has been consistent in saying that ESPN is going to take care of UConn. He posted this on CSNbbs:

DavidSt Wrote: I am sorry, but there are much more deserving schools that should be pick over than U. Conn. Boston College is blocking them in the ACC. Cincinnati, Navy and Temple seems to be ahead of U. Conn. They are not AAU to join the Big 10. And they are too far away from the Big 12 schools.

HeinousONe
ESPN is headquartered in Connecticut. ESPN gets boatloads of tax credits from the State of Connecticut. The ACC wants ESPN to start up an ACC Network for them. That makes UConn much more "deserving".

I am sorry but all that you just posted, it doesn't matter

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So, has the state of CT ever considered taking away some of ESPN's tax breaks to help their flagship university get into a better conference?

I know it's been discussed here but I haven't heard of the state actually doing any of that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So, has the state of CT ever considered taking away some of ESPN's tax breaks to help their flagship university get into a better conference?

I know it's been discussed here but I haven't heard of the state actually doing any of that.
I don't think that is possible, but we should never give them another taxpayer dollar while we are in the AAC.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I believe that Connecticut is proposing cutting in half the tax credit that they give to production companies who operate in state.

If I remember the story correctly, it would significantly increase or double ESPN's taxes.

Of course, that will do nothing to get us into another conference and might just drive production companies out of the state entirely.

CL82

Reaction Score
I wasn't aware of that Fishy, if you stumble back onto that article, please post a link. The state could reduce an ongoing program, but they can't reduce the breaks granted to ESPN to induce them to expand their presence in the state (e.g., the new production facility.) Given that they'd already made the capital investment, they aren't likely to move in the near term, but it may change the cost/benefit mix the next time they consider a major build out.

[This is my 10k post. I can remember struggling to reach 1K posts and every time I got close we'd move (Tom's garage, to TOS1, to TOS2, etc.) I need more hobbies.]

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I wasn't aware of that Fishy, if you stumble back onto that article, please post a link. The state could reduce an ongoing program, but they can't reduce the breaks granted to ESPN to induce them to expand their presence in the state (e.g., the new production facility.)

You're right - what's agreed is agreed.

I gather the state, like most northeastern states, offers tax incentives to production companies to set up shop in state - they're proposing cutting that credit.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score

ESPN also has an operation out in LA now. One whiff of anything they don't agree with the State of CT on and poof...like a fart in the wind...they are gone.

ESPN could not care less what happens to UConn.

CL82

Reaction Score
ESPN also has an operation out in LA now. One whiff of anything they don't agree with the State of CT on and poof...like a fart in the wind...they are gone.

But they probably want ROI on the $175M they dropped on the new facility. They won't go anywhere, in the near term.

Reaction Score
Lol... Thanks Durks. You have low standards. Haha

Haha, that's possible, but you upset the Dood. That almost qualifies for deification in my book (especially after reading his drivel for several years now).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Haha, that's possible, but you upset the Dood. That almost qualifies for deification in my book (especially after reading his drivel for several years now).
Lol... Thanks Durks. You have low standards. Haha
Doesn't really impress me, to tell you the truth. Floog's the one who got on The Dude's last nerve. It's like separating your shoulder. Do it once and each subsequent separation takes less and less effort. ;) Dude has a hair-trigger temperament at this point. He'll go off on anyone...

Reaction Score
I do.

I wouldn't mind the move, honestly. But you're wrong - the LA office would simply not be able to accommodate for all production operations.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Betters. It made me think of the ways WVU is "better".

Football team: better
Conference: better
Number of students missing teeth: better
Lack of genetic diversity in parents of student population: better
Black lung: better
Presence of the color gold/yellow: better

I'm out of ideas. I even used Google. Is this not the most embarrassing "things to do list" for a "major city" that you've ever seen?

Reaction Score
espn could not care less about UCONN. espn gets many tax breaks, including this one: http://www.governor.ct.gov/malloy/cwp/view.asp?a=11&q=483794
I don't think CT or Bristol would cut the breaks because another state would be just as willing to give out those breaks. It's all about keeping those 3k 0r 4k jobs in state. That said, with the millions that espn has spent in buildings, I don't think it would be able to pick up and leave that easily unless it is willing to sell those buildings at an incredible discount. And maybe it would be willing.

Reaction Score
Betters. It made me think of the ways WVU is "better".

Football team: better
Conference: better
Number of students missing teeth: better
Lack of genetic diversity in parents of student population: better
Black lung: better
Presence of the color gold/yellow: better

I'm out of ideas. I even used Google. Is this not the most embarrassing "things to do list" for a "major city" that you've ever seen?
# of shots fired during celebration: better

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom