Non-Key Tweets | Page 239 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
I had quite a run-in with the Mass toll system. I have an EZ Pass on my car because I'm not a barbarian, and one of the times I went through, it didn't register. I always drive pretty slowly through those, and will get under 10 if it doesn't work right away, so it's not on me. They sent me a ticket for the toll fee plus some ticket, I think it was like $50, which is ludicrous.

I sent them a picture of my EZ Pass, my EZ Pass mounted in my car, and then my EZ Pass in front of my license plate. They dropped the ticket, but they were going to charge me some sort of filing fee. So I appealed AGAIN to say that, no, I'm not paying you because you're stupid. It was fun because there was a comment box on the appeals page, and I wrote some rude-ass stuff in there.

Finally, they send it again with just the price of the toll on it. I go online to pay it, and it says it's going to charge me a $5 convenience fee. MassDOT and I apparently differ quite strongly as to the definition of "convenient."

Couple of years back, it was in the news that people buying EZ passes from the NJ Turnpike Authority were starting-off with past due notices. The state kept denying that there was a problem. A couple of folks finally got together and noticed that they were being charged the same amount. Looking at a map, it became clear that their EZ passes were getting hit while in transit while being delivered.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Florida SunPass takes a picture of your license plate and runs that against cars loaded against your profile. If you are driving a registered car and go through the machine without it picking up your transmitter they just apply the fee against your account. A very nice feature when you have a dead battery and don't know it until it's too late.

Reaction Score
I had quite a run-in with the Mass toll system. I have an EZ Pass on my car because I'm not a barbarian, and one of the times I went through, it didn't register. I always drive pretty slowly through those, and will get under 10 if it doesn't work right away, so it's not on me. They sent me a ticket for the toll fee plus some ticket, I think it was like $50, which is ludicrous.

I sent them a picture of my EZ Pass, my EZ Pass mounted in my car, and then my EZ Pass in front of my license plate. They dropped the ticket, but they were going to charge me some sort of filing fee. So I appealed AGAIN to say that, no, I'm not paying you because you're stupid. It was fun because there was a comment box on the appeals page, and I wrote some rude-ass stuff in there.

Finally, they send it again with just the price of the toll on it. I go online to pay it, and it says it's going to charge me a $5 convenience fee. MassDOT and I apparently differ quite strongly as to the definition of "convenient."

Way back before electronic payments, I used to pay these people with checks. They rescinded one of my passes because they said I hadn't paid, even though I had a canceled check in my hand, and the money was gone from my account. After several calls, I talked to someone in the office who actually found my account (in a binder) and also found a photocopy of my check. This was in the late 1990s.

How in the world was this office serving a massive state like New York without computers? They actually had a photocopy of my check available for the office person. I was amazed that the state had contracted with these people.

Reaction Score
Florida SunPass takes a picture of your license plate and runs that against cars loaded against your profile. If you are driving a registered car and go through the machine without it picking up your transmitter they just apply the fee against your account. A very nice feature when you have a dead battery and don't know it until it's too late.
How's the latter work? Dead battery, and don't know it? An EZ Pass or whatever electronic toll pass has a separate battery? I use my pass infrequently, but never thought it had a battery. If it does, the battery hasn't been changed in a decade+ and still works. I never get dinged extra fees for tolls I haven't driven through, so what am I missing?

Reaction Score
How's the latter work? Dead battery, and don't know it? An EZ Pass or whatever electronic toll pass has a separate battery? I use my pass infrequently, but never thought it had a battery. If it does, the battery hasn't been changed in a decade+ and still works. I never get dinged extra fees for tolls I haven't driven through, so what am I missing?

It's probably an RFID tag. They can transmit information in the vicinity of a magnetic field without having their own onboard power source.

Reaction Score
^^^
and if you are talking strictly by volume, FL has 1869 zip codes vs CT which has only 469.....FL has 4.5x more; its not a reasonable comparison.

Reaction Score
Wealthy zip codes? Hell, Connecticut should have Florida beat all to hell.

Now, Florida does have a zillion times the number of football recruits....

Depending on the conversation, each has its own currency.

2008-2013

Texas, with Florida close behind, led the nation in football recruits.

The States with the fewest numbers of recruits...Connecticut, Nebraska, Idaho, New Mexico, Delaware.

(Have to hand it to the Huskers)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was hoping someone would do a separate easy pass thread. It's riveting.

"Yeah it takes the money for the toll automatically"
"So do you have to stop?"
"No you don't have to stop"
"How can you pay if you don't stop?"
"You don't have stop"
"So you don't have to pay"
"You have to pay"
"So you do have stop"
"You don't have to stop"

Reaction Score

"You don't have stop"
"You have to pay"
"So you do have stop"
"You don't have to stop"
You don't have to stop. But please stop!

Reaction Score

"You don't have stop"
"You have to pay"
"So you do have stop"
"You don't have to stop"
exactly how many tolls are in CT?

Reaction Score
http://wealth.mongabay.com/tables/100_income_zip_codes-10000.html

I think FL has 2 on that list....CT has 2 of the top 4.

I thought that was a dubious statement but did not have the energy to prove it.[/QUOTE]

I guess if you sort the data just right. . .here's the raw data referenced for both states. There are nearly twice as many zip codes in Florida making over 100K.
http://wealth.mongabay.com/cities/FLORIDA.html
http://wealth.mongabay.com/cities/CONNECTICUT.html

Additionally, the premise of the previous conversation was that places that were expensive, were places that people want to live. According to Forbes, FL has two communities in the top 50, but CT doesn't. As I said in the earlier post, CT is a wealthy state, but there are also many desirable places to live in Florida.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erincar...mericas-500-most-expensive-zip-codes-in-2014/

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's probably an RFID tag. They can transmit information in the vicinity of a magnetic field without having their own onboard power source.

In Mass they had batteries. You were supposed to swap them out after some period of time. I got a notice on mine (FastLane was the original name) and just picked up two EZ Passes in NH at the rest stop. So much easier than dealing with Massachusetts.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I know right? We need a UConn guy to set up a fake Twitter account to keep us going in the off-season and give the appearance of upward mobility for UConn. Oh wait HFD did that when he became "the flug."

Reaction Score
IF nothing new, how about an old post?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/381525-big-ten-looks-to-expand-uconn-seems-top-candidate

If the Big Ten does indeed expand in 2010, and all signs point to expansion being inevitable, UConn may have the best argument.

However, a few of the other teams mentioned in Cory McKnight's July 2007 article "Big Ten to add a 12th team?" include Missouri, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Rutgers, and Notre Dame.

Despite the geographic logic of Notre Dame's location, the school does not appear to be a major option. I think the other schools make more sense.

UConn wasn't "contiguous" then :)

Reaction Score
At this point I could use some West Virginia moonshine :D
How about some Iowa moonshine (only reason to repost this is he's been consistent in his belief that it'll happen):

He1nousOne' pid='12065240' dateline='1432013131 said:
Waterloo' pid='12065224' dateline='1432011624 said:
I'm sold H1. I've been wanting the next B1G Ten programs (if the conference expands) to stay in the midcontinent.

Under your scenario, what would happen to Kansas State and Oklahoma State? I thought there was political pressure to keep those little brothers tied to their respective lead dogs. Texas would be Texas and pull a Notre Dame/BYU type scenario.

I can see ISU, KSU, Baylor, Tech, TCU, WVU, Okie State surviving by adding a few MWC schools and maybe a couple AAC schools - though I'd stay away from adding too many AAC programs. I'm thinking CSU, UNM, BSU, Cincinnati and Houston. Replace any of those programs with BYU in a heart beat if Provo changes their mind.

That kind of surviving Big XII wouldn't be a P5 anymore, but it may be able to keep its status like the old Big East did until the next major shift in college sports occurs. I'm just not sure if the state politicians in KS and OK would allow the big brothers to leave the little brothers.

If the B1G Ten were able to invite OU and KU, then all of the above changes would be worth it.

ISU and KSU aren't tied to their fellow State Institutions. Iowa and ISU aren't even tied together with conference affiliations. If the big 12 falls apart in ten years, Iowa would have nothing to do with that.

The situation with KSU and Kansas though is a little more complex. The two schools don't necessarily have to end up in the same conference but I highly doubt they will be able to take part in a plan that could leave KSU in a much weakened state. Thus for The Big Ten to land Kansas, Kansas State will have to end up in one of the P4 conferences.

ISU and KSU best serve the PAC out of any of the P4. The PAC needs to move into a new time zone. ISU, KSU, Texas Tech and TCU as a combo is strong enough to make that strong Central Time Zone move worthwhile for ESPN and Fox to pay them more. That means that PAC match ups can be played at the Noon Eastern Time kick off slot. That would be huge.

Texas would, in my opinion, take a negotiated agreement with The ACC that would be very complex. The LHN would be part of it, Texas bringing a school with them to The ACC would be part of it and a partial membership agreement, like the one with Notre Dame, would also be part of it. With Texas and Notre Dame standing firmly together, it will be inevitable that the CFP is expanded. With a brand new P4, it would be hard to beat out the Conference Champions that emerge from Conference Tournaments, not just Conference Championships.

Sure, records could make it possible but with just four slots, The Conference Champions win any perceived draw or close comparison. A strong Notre Dame or Texas program though is still a major draw for the CFP and the combined money that gets spread to everyone.

To go with Texas is Baylor. ESPN will push for UConn to be the other school due to issues within the State that ESPN is headquartered in, Connecticut. The LHN is part of that as it is rolled into a larger Regional ACC Network.

Oklahoma State and West Virginia fit in perfectly with the SEC Hierarchy. We see West Virginia fit well into a division with Tennessee, Kentucky and Missouri. We see Oklahoma State fit in well with LSU, Texas A&M and Arkansas.

This is why Oklahoma and Kansas end up with The Big Ten.

I have to admit I kinda like this scenario.:cool:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Every morning I wake up, check on this site and see that UConn didn't get a P5 invite over night. Someday that will change and my triumphant scream of joy will be heard far and wide.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom