Non-Key Tweets | Page 224 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
I think the best CR-related information is actually from Jim "live in the east™" Delaney. Just listen to what he's saying. I happened to watch the Saturday night B1G lacrosse tournament championship game between Ohio St. and Johns Hopkins. During halftime the announcers interviewed Delaney about the future of B1G lacrosse and about the conference in general. He must have said the B1G wants to "live in the east™" about fifteen times. We have alums in the east, but we want to live in the east. He said the Maryland, Rutgers, Hopkins additions were great additions. He emphasized the B1G having a home in the midwest, as well as the east. He also talked about New York and D.C. markets. I'd bet dollars to donuts further B1G expansion is east, not west.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Rumor has it that Princess Sarah is the dude's exwife......i mean sister.
Aren't you referring to someone in West Virginia? If so the odds favor that she is both.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think the best CR-related information is actually from Jim "live in the east™" Delaney. Just listen to what he's saying. I happened to watch the Saturday night B1G lacrosse tournament championship game between Ohio St. and Johns Hopkins. During halftime the announcers interviewed Delaney about the future of B1G lacrosse and about the conference in general. He must have said the B1G wants to "live in the east™" about fifteen times. We have alums in the east, but we want to live in the east. He said the Maryland, Rutgers, Hopkins additions were great additions. He emphasized the B1G having a home in the midwest, as well as the east. He also talked about New York and D.C. markets. I'd bet dollars to donuts further B1G expansion is east, not west.
I'll wager heavily that the B1G still views UConn and UVA as the ideal targets for their next expansion and believe that the smoke about Va Tech is merely to scare the Wahoos into moving as the last thing they would ever want to see would be the Hokies in a better conference than they are in.

Reaction Score
I'll wager heavily that the B1G still views UConn and UVA as the ideal targets for their next expansion and believe that the smoke about Va Tech is merely to scare the Wahoos into moving as the last thing they would ever want to see would be the Hokies in a better conference than they are in.
I agree with that with either Kansas or Mizzou as option B to partner with UConn covering everything north of NYC in the east and preferably creeping further south with hopefully UVa before settling for option B. I think Oklahoma would love the safe harbor of the B1G but lack's AAU status by too much and are tied at the hip to U of Tx and OKla St U would need a safe harbor.

Reaction Score
Take Va Tech now. Then take the Wahoos when reality sets in.

Va Tech is sexy even without football. And in football and Virginia may be second fiddle.

Reaction Score
Take Va Tech now. Then take the Wahoos when reality sets in.

Va Tech is sexy even without football. And in football and Virginia may be second fiddle.

So, you think that the GOR is no impediment? I agree that an exit fee is just the cost of doing business.

But, I doubt that the Big Ten is willing to fight that legal battle on the GOR for Virginia Tech. Just my take.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Looking at the NFL draft... if I'm the Big 10 the school I want to end up with is Georgia Tech.

Not exactly a lack of cable boxes there either.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is as non-key as it gets. No idea who she is.

Princess Sarah. ‏@_AutumnSarahh 20h20 hours ago
Uconn deciding btwn the ACC and B1G conference
catintinfoil.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Me either but she seems credible to me.

Hey your majesty how long until an announcement is made?

Really? I was thinking it would be 20 minutes...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So, you think that the GOR is no impediment? I agree that an exit fee is just the cost of doing business.

But, I doubt that the Big Ten is willing to fight that legal battle on the GOR for Virginia Tech. Just my take.

Based on CSNBBS conversation a while back (at least I think it was there), where does the GoR come in to play if
  • ESPN has tier 1 for both ACC and Big Ten
  • Acc school moves to B1G
  • ESPN doesn't reduce ACC payout (not a stretch unless you're talking FSU, UNC)
  • B1G is happy with whatever it gets with the next contract

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can vouch for Princess Sarah. I know her well, she was born in the fall and her last name begins with H.

I'm thinking that she's probably Gretchen's (from the other meandering lifeless CR thread) hotter cousin.

Reaction Score
Based on CSNBBS conversation a while back (at least I think it was there), where does the GoR come in to play if
  • ESPN has tier 1 for both ACC and Big Ten
  • Acc school moves to B1G
  • ESPN doesn't reduce ACC payout (not a stretch unless you're talking FSU, UNC)
  • B1G is happy with whatever it gets with the next contract

The Grant of Rights isn't to ESPN...it is to the conference. The conference is the receiver of that grant and would decide whether to enforce it, or not. I suspect nobody in any GOR conference wants a challenge that may affect their GOR,

The Business of College Sports says...

In these agreements, all of the conference members grant their television broadcast rights to their athletic contests to the conference for a certain period of time. If a member leaves the conference during that time, the conference retains the member’s television rights. Because the value of a school to a conference is the television revenue it can help generate, a grant of rights agreement makes the members essentially worthless to another conference that is looking for new members.

Reaction Score
The Grant of Rights isn't to ESPN...it is to the conference. The conference is the receiver of that grant and would decide whether to enforce it, or not. I suspect nobody in any GOR conference wants a challenge that may affect their GOR,

The Business of College Sports says...

In these agreements, all of the conference members grant their television broadcast rights to their athletic contests to the conference for a certain period of time. If a member leaves the conference during that time, the conference retains the member’s television rights. Because the value of a school to a conference is the television revenue it can help generate, a grant of rights agreement makes the members essentially worthless to another conference that is looking for new members.

GOR actually only pertains to their home games, so "worthless" is a half truth no?

Reaction Score

A school grants the conference the right to negotiate the contract. Without a GoR in place, ESPN would not know for sure what it is getting in this day of realignment. With the GoR, ESPN knows exactly what it is purchasing, even if a team changes conference. And the price ESPN is willing to pay will rise accordingly.

Once ESPN has acquired the rights via the conference and agreed to a price, it gets interesting if a team moves to another conference where ESPN also holds the rights. ESPN has what it bargained for, no damage done there. And as long as the former conference is still receiving the agreed upon payout, hard to show any damage there. The conference receiving the team now has an extra mouth to feed, but if said conference is already in the process of negotiating a new contract then there can still be plenty of cash to go around.

ESPN is then free to pick up whatever game it likes as Tier 1, and the conferences don't care so much because the payout for the season was already determined. Also, ESPN has to walk a fine line here with the conferences because there is probably some sort of "best interest" clause in the TV contracts, so they would want to keep both of their customers happy.

BTN might be a little upset if games don't fall to them because of the GoR, but I think the impact would be relatively small given that there would be other games available for back fill.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
.... If a member leaves the conference during that time, the conference retains the member’s television rights. Because the value of a school to a conference is the television revenue it can help generate, a grant of rights agreement makes the members essentially worthless to another conference that is looking for new members.
OK, so if School A leaves conference X to go to conference Y, conference X receives whatever television revenue conference Y will give school A. So why doesn't conference Y just say to school A, "there won't be any television money, but you will be compensated otherwise." Seems like there are many ways to get around a contractual GOR.

Reaction Score
UCONN to the B1G is going to happen but a traveling partner needs to be found. If your going to set up shop out east you need more than Rutgers (no offense). UConn's Olympic sports will be valuable to the BTN. If your going to penetrate the Boston and NYC markets you need established programs and UConn is a proven winner. It's not always about football to the B1G.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Remember it's not always about football to a conference who owns a network that gets 90% of it's advertising revenue from 14 football saturdays.

The Big 10 wanted Nebraska for their stellar non-football programs.

It's also not about money. Rutgers is really good at sports.

Reaction Score
UCONN to the B1G is going to happen but a traveling partner needs to be found. If your going to set up shop out east you need more than Rutgers (no offense). UConn's Olympic sports will be valuable to the BTN. If your going to penetrate the Boston and NYC markets you need established programs and UConn is a proven winner. It's not always about football to the B1G.
yeah and even Illinois don't help much in Chicago...need NW and more for Chicago "no offense".So maybe you grab a proven winner in with AAU and olympic sports in the west like Kansas to offset ND's penetration of the midwest markets like Chitown which like NYC and Boston is a pro sports town.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When did Rutgers start leaking the move to the B1G to recruits? I would imagine that a coach let it slip.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm thinking that she's probably Gretchen's (from the other meandering lifeless CR thread) hotter cousin.

For those fond of Gretchen's avatar, Carla (Cara?), you may want to check into Interview magazine.

Reaction Score
When did Rutgers start leaking the move to the B1G to recruits? I would imagine that a coach let it slip.
I think in the recruiting class of "ten" i first heard some say they were told they might finish in another "conference" or the B1G though everyone knew RU's preference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom