Non-Key Tweets | Page 220 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Delany is correct on this. If the top two ranked teams play, it all but guarantees the winner a spot in the playoff based on the nature of polling even by the playoff committee.

No way JD allows the B12 to potentially trump his champ should the B1G CCG have a lower ranked team as the opponent based on tie breakers.

When you have 5 or 6 teams for 4 spots, the last best win will carry the day.
That's why 8-12 (10 is my personal wish) is the sweetspot for the CFP. It won't stay at 4 for much longer.

Gretchen

Civilly Disobedient
Reaction Score
That's why 8-12 (10 is my personal wish) is the sweetspot for the CFP. It won't stay at 4 for much longer.
Of course it won't. Money to be made by expanding format. Isn't that really all that matters? (sigh)

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 17m 17 minutes ago
@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell I don't think 20 teams implies absorption of B12/ACC. I've been told, and have repeated for...

@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell ...for months on Twitter, that the goal of 20 team B1G is alive and well..and now we have JD...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 14m 14 minutes ago
@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell ..mentioning this scenario in passing. I don't believe the P5 conferences stay at 65 schools.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 13m 13 minutes ago
@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell The reason for expansion outside of 65 is simple...good economics. B1G is healthier at 14 vs 12.

@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell I know many people disagree with me on this. But Live Sport Content is becoming gold to advertis..

@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell You see the NBA/MLS/NFL reaching new highs in TV contracts..you see more expansion..look at MLS

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 12m 12 minutes ago
@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell If we had hit a TV sports bubble, then yes expansion would be dead. But the opposite has happened.

@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell I think this reality will hit some people hard when they see officially what Delany gets in Tier1

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 11m 11 minutes ago
@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell This reality will hit hard once people see how much $ SEC schools will receive in first full SECN

@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell I don't necessarily think all 6 additions wil come from B12/ACC. This is why I believe UCONN has..

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 10m 10 minutes ago
@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell ..has more than a decent shot at B1G in a few years. Remember, Rutgers addition did not come from..

@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell ..P5 conference. I think there are other schools that can bring value to other conferences as well.

@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell I don't see the destruction of the B12...but I do see another shuffling of its current roster...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 9m 9 minutes ago
@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell ...due to simple positive economic growth of others around them.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 8m 8 minutes ago
@Expansion_Crush @posas13 @geoffmitchell More now than ever. People don't DVR live content as they do other entertainment

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 7m 7 minutes ago
@Expansion_Crush @posas13 @geoffmitchell this is why I don't see 65 as the end-game. I think the current line is drawn in pencil, not pen

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Of course it won't. Money to be made by expanding format. Isn't that really all that matters? (sigh)
Money is the underlying reason for almost everything, but politics plays its part too, and it's not a small part either.

As transparent as it may be, the CFP Powers-That-Be need an alternative justification than money to expand. They need a cover story to sell the public, other than greed.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
IMO, the Dude is proof that there is a village somewhere missing its idiot.

The Dude is proof that fans ignore reality when it may not fit what their school needs. The Dude is such a huge B12 homer it's absurd. He wasn't before WVU joined, but now he has contacts in a league that honestly has no contacts itself within his state? No chance. The Big XII is the weakest league going forward and has a real problem, but he won't acknowledge it. Flug is correct in understanding how the landscape has changed. UConn Women's hoops, in a world where your sports network needs compelling content, is golden. It means nothing to the ACC or Big XII, but to the B1G it's several million a year by itself.

Reaction Score
The Dude is proof that fans ignore reality when it may not fit what their school needs. The Dude is such a huge B12 homer it's absurd. He wasn't before WVU joined, but now he has contacts in a league that honestly has no contacts itself within his state? No chance. The Big XII is the weakest league going forward and has a real problem, but he won't acknowledge it. Flug is correct in understanding how the landscape has changed. UConn Women's hoops, in a world where your sports network needs compelling content, is golden. It means nothing to the ACC or Big XII, but to the B1G it's several million a year by itself.
On the Oklahoma U Landthieves CR board even most of them see the writing on the wall but the WV mob won't have any of it.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
image.jpg

Someone's stirring the pot...

Reaction Score
@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell I don't think 20 teams implies absorption of B12/ACC. I've been told, and have repeated for...

@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell ...for months on Twitter, that the goal of 20 team B1G is alive and well..and now we have JD...

@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell ..mentioning this scenario in passing. I don't believe the P5 conferences stay at 65 schools.

@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell The reason for expansion outside of 65 is simple...good economics. B1G is healthier at 14 vs 12.

@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell I know many people disagree with me on this. But Live Sport Content is becoming gold to advertis..

@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell You see the NBA/MLS/NFL reaching new highs in TV contracts..you see more expansion..look at MLS

@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell If we had hit a TV sports bubble, then yes expansion would be dead. But the opposite has happened.

@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell I think this reality will hit some people hard when they see officially what Delany gets in Tier1

@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell This reality will hit hard once people see how much $ SEC schools will receive in first full SECN

@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell I don't necessarily think all 6 additions wil come from B12/ACC. This is why I believe UCONN has..

@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell ..has more than a decent shot at B1G in a few years. Remember, Rutgers addition did not come from..

@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell ..P5 conference. I think there are other schools that can bring value to other conferences as well.

@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell I don't see the destruction of the B12...but I do see another shuffling of its current roster...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 9m 9 minutes ago
@posas13 @Expansion_Crush @geoffmitchell ...due to simple positive economic growth of others around them.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 8m 8 minutes ago
@Expansion_Crush @posas13 @geoffmitchell More now than ever. People don't DVR live content as they do other entertainment

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 7m 7 minutes ago
@Expansion_Crush @posas13 @geoffmitchell this is why I don't see 65 as the end-game. I think the current line is drawn in pencil, not pen

If the B1G moved to 20 schools and the PAC and/or SEC followed (or at least moved to 16), no way that the P5 does not changed to the P4. Just not enough value outside of the P5 right now to support a 20 team per conference without cannibalizing the ACC or XII.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Personally, I view their "fight" as WWF pre-fight banter. It is staged to generate interest. I want to see the Flug hit the Dude with a chair.

Reaction Score
Bob Bowlsby said in an interview....

The super-conferences concept … has largely been a media fabrication. I have heard no serious conversation among people who do this for a living that the super-conference concept has got any traction. It’s always dangerous when the media starts to interview the rest of the media, and I think that’s where the super-conference thing came from.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Bowlsby is either clueless or spinning. . .either option highly plausible.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/09/26/Colleges/Super-conference.aspx

A four year old article about mythical superconferences?

At the end of the day the television sponsors will dictate what happens - but 20 team superconferences make no sense. It would become clear 2 ten team leagues with a scheduling agreement and a shared television network would make more sense.

Sort of like what the ACC and Big East could have done in 2003.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
A four year old article about mythical superconferences?

At the end of the day the television sponsors will dictate what happens - but 20 team superconferences make no sense. It would become clear 2 ten team leagues with a scheduling agreement and a shared television network would make more sense.

Sort of like what the ACC and Big East could have done in 2003.

The super conference was proposed back in 1990 in a 240 page report put together by Raycom, so assuming BB quoted Bowlsby correctly: "The super-conferences concept … has largely been a media fabrication." , it isn't a fabrication and it has been kicked around for a long time. I just grabbed one of the first articles. It's been reported on more recently.

Reaction Score
FSU was in the Metro when that Raycom report was issued.....I had forgotten it, but then again, it was quickly forgotten.

But why doubt Bowlsby when he said that no current football guys are discussing it to his knowledge?

Conferences have already grown to 14 and many people in the business continue to discuss further growth. I am pretty sure Bowlsby was at the AD at Stanford when the PAC was looking to add four teams from the Big 12 to go 16 teams, which happens to be the one of the numbers proposed by Raycom. It's silly spin.

Reaction Score
Bowlsby was referring to all of the media chat (blogs, talking heads, etc) that bloomed regarding having four super-conferences. He said that he has heard no serious discussion of that by his peers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom