Non-Key Tweets | Page 130 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Why would you say that? The Geo footprint of the ACC is probably the best in the whole country. The Big XII has a horrible footprint and no markets outside of Texas.
ACC will be squeezed by competing interests: Those of the B1G, and those of the SEC. PAC and BXII each have their own problems with respect to expansion, but the B1G and SEC know where the hunting is good. And the beautiful thing is the B1G and SEC have different objectives and desires, so they won't be stepping all over each other, competing for the same schools. It's (almost) as if they planned it this way...

pj

Reaction Score
The ACC wasn't built to have a cable network. It was designed to maximize over-the-air advertising and basketball. With over-the-air revenues declining and basketball becoming less important, they find they have the wrong schools for a world in which conference cable networks drive revenue. They have to accept lower revenues. That's OK for most ACC schools, the likes of BC, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, Ga Tech, Miami are really middle-tier schools who deserve middle-tier revenues.

The Big XII isn't really built for cable networks either, except for the state of Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas, which is pretty limited -- less than a tenth of the country.

If they have to have the same revenue as the B1G, SEC, and Pac, then the Big XII and ACC could rearrange themselves into a "best of" conference with a western division (Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas Tech or TCU or Baylor, Ok State, Kansas State) and eastern division (UNC, UVa, FSU, Miami, Clemson, Ga Tech) with Va Tech going to the B1G, and everybody else forming a "Big East lite" like we would have had if the Big XII leftovers had joined the Big East a few years ago.

On that rearrangement, UConn either joins the B1G with Va Tech or joints the "Big East lite" with BC/Cuse/Pitt/Ville.

Reaction Score
Look HuskyHawk, I don't have a dog in the hunt. It's just an opinion. Feel free to dismiss it.

Reaction Score
Of course Delany is interested in the state of Virginia.

When the BIG added Maryland and even threw in Johns Hopkins for lacrosse, it was obvious they wanted to snag Virginia in the process to control the DC area.

And if Delany could ever convince UVA to join, which I personally doubt, the price tag would be adding Virginia Tech.

VT is not an AAU school but they are pretty close. And if that was the cost to add UVA, I'd imagine Delany would take that and run.

If it happened, Indiana would be put into the Western Conference to join in-state rival Purdue. VT and UVA would be put in with OSU, MSU, Michigan, Penn St, Rutgers, Maryland.

A lot of these ACC schools seem to come in package deals. Duke/UNC, UVA/VT.

So if two spots are left(who knows really), UConn doesn't want to see Virginia rumors. You want to see something like Georgia Tech.

Rubbish! Complete, unadulterated rubbish!

Reaction Score
So no ACCN. So what? The Big XII isn't getting a network either. It isn't a kiss of death in any way shape or form. It is just a lower revenue stream than the other three. But that is in the world of TV that exists today. The BTN and SEC network could be useless in a few years, if cable goes away or is diminished, which it likely will be. The schools who own their own content and can stream to fans or via local channels may end up with an advantage.

Except the B12 is getting more money on their deal per school PLUS they get to sell their own Tier 3 rights. Obviously the LHN gives UT a ton of revenue but, schools like Kansas, Oklahoma & even West Virginia have recently signed very large Tier 3 deals.

These Tier 3 deals plus the $25MM they get from their Tier 1 & 2 network deal pays most of the B12 schools over $30MM per year. When you compare that to the $19MM the ACC schools get for all Tier 1, 2 & 3 rights it represents a significant delta in revenue. The ACC is #5 in revenue & is well behind the others. More importantly, it is primarily surrounded by the SEC & the B1G who are going to pay more than double to it's member schools when the B1G deal gets done in a couple years.

Regardless of whether "cable goes away" or not (which it will most likely not, however there is a chance there will be some un-bundling) individual schools are not going to own their own content. It will still be owned by a conference. How the content gets viewed will likely change but, it will never be free.

At the end of the day, the ACC schools will receive much less than the schools they are competing with. In the new NCAA P5 world that will allow for insurance payments, scholarships for life, stipends etc. this is a huge hurdle for them.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Except the B12 is getting more money on their deal per school PLUS they get to sell their own Tier 3 rights. Obviously the LHN gives UT a ton of revenue but, schools like Kansas, Oklahoma & even West Virginia have recently signed very large Tier 3 deals.

These Tier 3 deals plus the $25MM they get from their Tier 1 & 2 network deal pays most of the B12 schools over $30MM per year. When you compare that to the $19MM the ACC schools get for all Tier 1, 2 & 3 rights it represents a significant delta in revenue. The ACC is #5 in revenue & is well behind the others. More importantly, it is primarily surrounded by the SEC & the B1G who are going to pay more than double to it's member schools when the B1G deal gets done in a couple years.

Regardless of whether "cable goes away" or not (which it will most likely not, however there is a chance there will be some un-bundling) individual schools are not going to own their own content. It will still be owned by a conference. How the content gets viewed will likely change but, it will never be free.

At the end of the day, the ACC schools will receive much less than the schools they are competing with. In the new NCAA P5 world that will allow for insurance payments, scholarships for life, stipends etc. this is a huge hurdle for them.
The B12 will have downstream challenges. Their reach is limited to Texas and a handful of pockets of small populations. They are an increasingly regional conference and they know it.

Reaction Score
So no ACCN. So what? The Big XII isn't getting a network either. It isn't a kiss of death in any way shape or form. It is just a lower revenue stream than the other three. But that is in the world of TV that exists today. The BTN and SEC network could be useless in a few years, if cable goes away or is diminished, which it likely will be. The schools who own their own content and can stream to fans or via local channels may end up with an advantage.

First, let me say that I don't think the ACCN will happen, but not because cable TV is going away. I think you underestimate how many people still use CRT tvs and DSL. There are people -- a lot of people -- who simply are not ready to consume television content primarily via the internet. Not everyone has (or wants) Roku, Apple TV, or Chromecast. Twenty years from now, cable TV will still be here. I do think you'll start to see lots more networks simulcast live broadcasts to web-based apps and such like BTN does, but an existing television network will lose a lot of subscribers by leaving TV and going internet based. I just don't see over-the-top content sweeping the nation and leaving cable distributors with their wangs in the wind.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 53m 53 minutes ago
I have asked and the story (ACC network will not put $$ in ACC Schools pockets if created) has not been made public. 11/18 date has turn...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 52m 52 minutes ago
..turned out to be incorrect. I apologize for the date being incorrect. I have been told again the story is true and a current ACC AD....

...concerns about the failure of the ACC Network in the future to increase $ and value to schools is the main/important point of the story.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I have asked and the story (ACC network will not put in ACC Schools pockets if created) has not been made public. 11/18 date has turn...

..turned out to be incorrect. I apologize for the date being incorrect. I have been told again the story is true and a current ACC AD....

...concerns about the failure of the ACC Network in the future to increase $ and value to schools is the main/important point of the story.
Was anyone really holding their breath for a 5CSMA AD to commit career suicide?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
First, let me say that I don't think the ACCN will happen, but not because cable TV is going away. I think you underestimate how many people still use CRT tvs and DSL. There are people -- a lot of people -- who simply are not ready to consume television content primarily via the internet. Not everyone has (or wants) Roku, Apple TV, or Chromecast. Twenty years from now, cable TV will still be here. I do think you'll start to see lots more networks simulcast live broadcasts to web-based apps and such like BTN does, but an existing television network will lose a lot of subscribers by leaving TV and going internet based. I just don't see over-the-top content sweeping the nation and leaving cable distributors with their wangs in the wind.

It isn't going to happen overnight. All I am saying is that for all the noise about conference TV channels, the overall value of such a channel, as a concept, it slated to decline, not increase, in coming years.

I think the ACC did the GOR for a few reasons, but among them was an understanding that they have some of the richest, fastest growing markets in the country. Geographically, they are in great shape. The Big XII on the other hand, is a basket case and is surrounded. We went though this a year ago, and Frank the Tank captured it well, the only thing the Big XII has going for it is the contract. Aside from that, the ACC is more culturally, academically and geographically cohesive.

I am not convinced that the P5 will become the P4, as I think it would leave too many schools on the sidelines. But if it does, it's the Big XII that will be gone.

pj

Reaction Score
The big question is did the ACC GoR have an out if no ACCN is formed, or if ACC compensation is well below other conferences?

There were Twitter rumors to that effect. If so, the Virginia schools have to be talking to the B1G and exploring options.

Reaction Score
I have asked and the story (ACC network will not put in ACC Schools pockets if created) has not been made public. 11/18 date has turn...

Do Swoffords comments count? I think not, but let's see if an AD responds.

Reaction Score
The big question is did the ACC GoR have an out if no ACCN is formed, or if ACC compensation is well below other conferences?

There were Twitter rumors to that effect. If so, the Virginia schools have to be talking to the B1G and exploring options.

I think that the French would make an interesting addition to the Big Ten. The French (as we affectionately call Virginia) with their Cavalier mascot wearing that wonderful ladies hat with a plume, would be tres chic in the midwest.

But I don't really see the French joining the B1G...I could be wrong, but I don't see any movement from a current P5 program for over a decade.

Reaction Score
image.jpg
I think that the French would make an interesting addition to the Big Ten. The French (as we affectionately call Virginia) with their Cavalier mascot wearing that wonderful ladies hat with a plume, would be tres chic in the midwest.

But I don't really see the French joining the B1G...I could be wrong, but I don't see any movement from a current P5 program for over a decade.
The Cavaliers were English loyal to the Stewart King in there Revolution.
That hat was pretty similar to Conferate Calvary
The Midwest on the other hand was Settled by New England Puritans .
Not really a lot noted for Display.

Reaction Score
Ah buttercup...there were cavaliers in France way before the English borrowed that French term...cavalier is a middle French term for horseman (Old Provencal)...derived from the latin.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Ah buttercup...there were cavaliers in France way before the English borrowed that French term...cavalier is a middle French term for horseman (Old Provencal)...derived from the latin.

Well, if you want to get technical about it, the Norman's (and French and Breton's) conquered England in the 1,000's so many French things became English.

Reaction Score
yep...I can't imagine those Puritans "French kissing". Viva la france!

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · 7h 7 hours ago
@TalkinACCSports Are you hearing anything about ACCN? Talk was ESPN was ready to go ahead but now I'm hearing another delay over rights.

@TalkinACCSports supposedly ACC wants help with repurchase but Raycomm is being difficult & ESPN doesn't want to help.

@TalkinACCSports Taken for granted ESPN doesn't want to partner with Raycomm. Not a fan of Bojangles I guess.

Jeffrey Fann ‏@TalkinACCSports · 7h7 hours ago
@theDudeofWV swofford said yesterday the acc was being queitly aggressive regarding a network. Said in october he was pleased with talks.

@TalkinACCSports Yea. It was after that I heard ESPN was dragging their feet again. $19 million in revenue as base they need it.

@TalkinACCSports Also said ACC has a window built-in every 5 years to reevaluate contract worth. Said OoC scheduling could affect $ added.

@TalkinACCSports ESPN hasn't been pleased with some scheduling decisions. ACC would own rights to home games.

@TalkinACCSports Specifically that ESPN was "discouraging" scheduling G5 schools. Preferred SEC for obvious reasons.

@TalkinACCSports unlikely CBS would pick up ACC-SEC matchup other than FSU so ESPN would have rights either way for SECN or ACCN.

Reaction Score
Huh?

Maybe that is the reason that FSU and Ole Miss just recently announced that they will be opening the season in a neutral site kick off game in 2016.

Reaction Score
ndfan101 ‏@stoplot 3h3 hours ago
@flugempire FSU AD Stan Wilcox tells #FSU trustees that ACC is in "negotiations" with ESPN to create ACC network. "It will happen," he says

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire 3h3 hours ago
@stoplot Thank you for this link. Not what I was waiting for.....but yes the ACC Network is being worked out...been told it wont create $..

@stoplot ..that the ACC schools were hoping for,not even close. Been told a current ACC AD is on record for being concerned about lack $...

@stoplot ....in REV Stream coming out of negotiations for the ACC Network. Happening?..yes....but trickle in stream will not help. Will see

ndfan101 ‏@stoplot 3h3 hours ago
@flugempire We'll see...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 2h 2 hours ago
Ran it up the pole....ACC AD's are starting to speak on ACC Networks future. Big disagreements among them on what they are being told.

We heard FSU AD statement today.....we will hear more very shortly. Big concerns.....ACC has little leverage to squeeze out $ from adventure

Being told at this point ACC Network being sold [Espn to ACC schools] as a catalyst for more exposure. Not being sold as REV GENERATOR

This is just the start of the info war......you will hear different perspectives from different ACC AD's. Keep your eyes and ears open....

.....ACC AD's have been informed of negotiation info....all reporting back to BOT'S and Presidents. We heard from FSU AD first....Second?

ndfan101 ‏@stoplot 2h2 hours ago
@flugempire FSU one is one of if not the most imnprotant one to hear from IMO. Flight risk and all

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire 1h1 hour ago
@stoplot That is true....however FSU has the biggest Athletic Budget (along with UVA) in the ACC. Terms and Cond in ACCN may be the same...

@stoplot. ....as it is in the SECN.....but the weakness, according to what I was told early this week, is the new REV STREAM will be trickle

ndfan101 ‏@stoplot 1h1 hour ago
@flugempire I believe a trickle at first as buy-back is happening but eventually it will be competitive

@stoplot The ACCN not increasing much new money for ACC schools will hurt others in ACC more than FSU. More ADs will talk..not all......

@stoplot. ...singing from same song book.

ndfan101 ‏@stoplot 1h1 hour ago
@flugempire If it hurts schools why would they sign? Exposure is not a reason to do it. ESPN won't do it if it's a loser(LHN is enough)

ME: Watch the spin! Twitter bloggers going crazy over the ACC Network rumors. They're now moving the goal posts.

http://rubbingtherock.com/2014/11/21/acc-network-espn-on-the-way/

Reaction Score
image.jpg
The Zouaves were the Oregon of their times with those uni's....I told ya that the French would fit right in up there.
The Zouves in the French Army were originally North African natives ,that's was how they dressed. Not to different than an Ottoman uni's. These guys game close to overrunning Europe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom