Non-Key Tweets | Page 131 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
upload_2014-11-24_14-16-23.png
theDudeofWV
The latest rumors about UCONN pass the initial smell test yet isn't maybe the best news for the Huskies... http://post original url/7ZAYgyHiJz
11/24/14, 2:05 PM

Reaction Score
View attachment 7678 theDudeofWV
The latest rumors about UCONN pass the initial smell test yet isn't maybe the best news for the Huskies... http://post original url/7ZAYgyHiJz
11/24/14, 2:05 PM
Okay, I was curious enough to click the link, but I am nowhere near curious enough to create an "account" with Dude to read his rambling.

Reaction Score
I did it for you...lol

" took the rumor about UCONN approaching the Big East to a few people to get their opinion.

The consensus is its not a crazy idea.

By dropping down to FCS in football and joining the Big East UCONN would make more money than if it remained in the AAC. Plus the move would help the basketball program which is arguably being harmed by the weak AAC.

Why spend money on FBS football when the price of competing at that level is going up - perhaps prohibitively so for a program like UCONN's in the AAC.

This may have some validity and a few friends in the national media are asking around.

They key is this rumor is logical. It has the element of great need and arguably the element of great opportunity. The need is for UCONN to save its most profitable program - basketball. The opportunity is increase revenues via the Big East (requiring dropping down to FCS in football).

This is one to watch."

there is a whole thread where they quote a CBS article saying Uconn approached the Big East recently, maybe to cover their bases if cincy were to be asked to the big12, but were rebuffed.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Okay, I was curious enough to click the link, but I am nowhere near curious enough to create an "account" with Dude to read his rambling.

You and me both. I've created a Twitter account and that'll have to do. Whatever crazy eyed wacky rumor is being invented out there will have to be shared through public means in order for me to fall head over heels for it. :)

Reaction Score
As usual that is just a bunch of BS. These guys read message boards (including this one) and then make up stuff. There was a post here last week about Uconn and BE and I guarantee that is where they got the idea for this latest "rumor". We need a new thread titled "non-key threads from West Virginia". Uconn is not going back to save the Big East.

Reaction Score
I suspect if you polled the 100k people that watch Uconn sports on TV regularly, most would be in favor of dropping football and joining the Big East in hoops and other sports than stay in the current AAC setup.

pj

Reaction Score
I suspect if you polled the 100k people that watch Uconn sports on TV regularly, most would be in favor of dropping football and joining the Big East in hoops and other sports than stay in the current AAC setup.

Doubt it. The "Big East" is nothing like what it was. It's only familiarity that makes it seem better than the AAC.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Oh sweet Jesus, not this again (and again and again and again). UCONN isn't dropping football. $200M invested in the program over the past 12 years. Most avid college football fanbase in the northeast (ahead of New York, New Jersey and Mass who all have "Power" conference affiliations). More players in the NFL than any of those "Power' schools.

By this insane logic, should we expect Wake to drop football? Syracuse? How can't see how the small privates can keep up with the costs of continuing to fund struggling football programs. Holy , where's the Tylenol?

Not to feed into this hysteria, but if UCONN is going to lobby any conference for a basketball only invite, don't you all think they would want to set their sights a little higher (ACC)??? Why settle for the lousy Big East when any friggin' hoops conference in the country would drool all over themselves to have UCONN in it?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
BS-meter.jpg

Based upon what? Your hunch? Because I can't think of anyone I know who thinks taking a major step backwords is good for the program

Reaction Score
there is a whole thread where they quote a CBS article saying Uconn approached the Big East recently, maybe to cover their bases if cincy were to be asked to the big12, but were rebuffed.

Is there a link to the CBS article?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I didn't realize Nelson was from West Virginia.

Well if this doesn't go to show how dumb of an idea this actually is, I don't know what will.

He's not, he just gets into bed with those guys. You know, CR pillow talk.

Reaction Score
I did it for you...lol

" took the rumor about UCONN approaching the Big East to a few people to get their opinion.

The consensus is its not a crazy idea.

By dropping down to FCS in football and joining the Big East UCONN would make more money than if it remained in the AAC. Plus the move would help the basketball program which is arguably being harmed by the weak AAC.

Why spend money on FBS football when the price of competing at that level is going up - perhaps prohibitively so for a program like UCONN's in the AAC.

This may have some validity and a few friends in the national media are asking around.

They key is this rumor is logical. It has the element of great need and arguably the element of great opportunity. The need is for UCONN to save its most profitable program - basketball. The opportunity is increase revenues via the Big East (requiring dropping down to FCS in football).

This is one to watch."

Since UConn makes $6m a year for the next 5 years from the exit fee and NCAA credit money, UConn would be giving up $6m + $2m + 10-20m in exit fee money for the privilege of making $3.8m in a conference that may not ever see a lucrative new contract again.

West Virginia math dictates you take that deal!!

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 3h 3 hours ago
UCONN is a major player for Big Ten expansion in 2019-21. I differ greatly with the Dude of WVU when it comes to this topic.

Look at the BTN site today and look at the ratings that are coming in this year....smashing records left and right. It started in football..

....and now we are seeing the first blushes of BTN ratings for basketball 2014......and they are again record numbers. This is good news....

....for UCONN possible entry into a future Big Ten conference. I will explain more tomorrow. Lay of the land has improved for UCONN

Im not declaring UCONN to the Big Ten in 2019. But many are still not connecting the dots between BTN and its next wave of money making

Big Ten schools get good slice of BTN future AD buys....and that money is just starting to grow(Big Ten owns 49% of network)

BTN ratings are SURGING. UCONN could not have hoped for a better scenario. Lots and lots of future Big Ten basketball content on BTN. ....

.....if that content brings in ratings, increased ratings.....and....well Big Ten owns 49%.....you get the picture. BTN subscriptions phase1

BTN ratings = increase value of AD buys phase2. UCONN fits the $ profile of what Delany and FOX wants for future BTN dollars

UCONN has some hurdles.....they will need the correct 15th school to join them....but UCONN with increase research money from CT is rising

If anyone is interested please go to the BTN site and check out their latest article on TV ratings. Ratings + ownership = B1G expansion

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
UCONN is a major player for Big Ten expansion in 2019-21. I differ greatly with the Dude of WVU when it comes to this topic.

Look at the BTN site today and look at the ratings that are coming in this year....smashing records left and right. It started in football..

....and now we are seeing the first blushes of BTN ratings for basketball 2014.and they are again record numbers. This is good news....

....for UCONN possible entry into a future Big Ten conference. I will explain more tomorrow. Lay of the land has improved for UCONN

Im not declaring UCONN to the Big Ten in 2019. But many are still not connecting the dots between BTN and its next wave of money making

Big Ten schools get good slice of BTN future AD buys....and that money is just starting to grow(Big Ten owns 49% of network)

BTN ratings are SURGING. UCONN could not have hoped for a better scenario. Lots and lots of future Big Ten basketball content on BTN. ....

.....if that content brings in ratings, increased ratings.....and....well Big Ten owns 49%.....you get the picture. BTN subscriptions phase1

BTN ratings = increase value of AD buys phase2. UCONN fits the $ profile of what Delany and FOX wants for future BTN dollars

UCONN has some hurdles.....they will need the correct 15th school to join them....but UCONN with increase research money from CT is rising

If anyone is interested please go to the BTN site and check out their latest article on TV ratings. Ratings + ownership = B1G expansion

I still think it's UConn and VT (I have for some time now). It just makes the most sense to where The Big10 wants to be. They want to recruit students from the East. UConn and VT makes so much sense in that regard. If they want 20 or more (unlikely, in my opinion) than Kansas and Oklahoma with two others as well.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Given the fact that the BiG will be negotiating a new BTN contract, I would suspect that if UCONN is going to the BiG it will be sooner than 2019.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Although I think these Twitter nitwits have no idea what they're talking about, I'd agree that profitable networks are good for UConn - if more content equals more money, it's more better.

But I'm stuck on that 15th teams.

I don't see anyone from the P5 being dislodged unless I completely misunderstand the grant of right concept.

Reaction Score
I can certainly see it.

Brings a new market which is a key theme of expansion.

I also agree that Virginia would obviously be the other target state. Adding Maryland made that clear. I think UVA would be first on the list. But Virginia Tech would be a solid add too.

Not sure on if it is even possible with the buyout and contracts and whatnot, but if it was, the BIG would do a ton to get into the Virginia market.

Can't see expansion going west. The only slightly obvious one would be Kansas. And Kansas just doesn't add enough market to justify it.

I think 16 is also the magic number. Can't see it going past that.

You'd have a division of:

East:
OSU
MSU
Michigan
Penn State
Rutgers
Maryland
UConn
UVA/VT

Sounds pretty fun to me.

Dooley

Reaction Score
BTN ratings are through the roof. They air over 100 MBB games per year. 50+ WBB per year. Good ratings can only be good for UCONN. I think we all agree on that. The emergence of UCONN hockey is also a good thing. Friday Night Ice ratings.

I just hope that we have a competitive football program again by 2019. I think we will.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Can't see expansion going west. The only slightly obvious one would be Kansas. And Kansas just doesn't add enough market to justify it.

It's not really a big market, but it's a different market and would you say that Kansas is almost enough of a brand if you're talking about fleshing out network content?

dayooper

Reaction Score
Although I think these Twitter nitwits have no idea what they're talking about, I'd agree that profitable networks are good for UConn - if more content equals more money, it's more better.

But I'm stuck on that 15th teams.

I don't see anyone from the P5 being dislodged unless I completely misunderstand the grant of right concept.

If a team wants out bad enough, they can make it happen. It would cost a whole lot of money, but it could be done.

As far as a 16th team if no P5 schools go, don't see it either.

dayooper

Reaction Score
It's not really a big market, but it's a different market and would you say that Kansas is almost enough of a brand if you're talking about fleshing out network content?

Add in Oklahoma as a football brand and you've got yourself quite the addition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom