Non-Key Tweets | Page 129 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire 3h3 hours ago
Info coming out tomorrow per source. ACC AD declares there is very little hope for a competitive ACC Network in future. Pint size REV stream

Same source gave us info on ACC/UMD settlement 2 weeks prior. More info tommorrow. ACC Network will have little value to increase $$

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 3h 3 hours ago
Per source this reality of the ACC network not increasing value for ACC schools will open up scenarios in realignment. Difficult days ACC

ME: Football season is coming to a close. You know what happens when that's the case. ;)

Reaction Score
The biggest problem that the ACC has is that FSU is their only football power right now. Look at the AP top 15: 4 SEC, 4 PAC 12, 3 Big 12, 3 B1G, 1 ACC. Basically, the ACC has become the "Big Least" of the P5. ACC football is built on a weak foundation as they are too dependent on FSU to carry the conference, and the media contract, although WAY better than the AAC's, will not match up with the rest of the P5 in the future.

Reaction Score
Info coming out tomorrow per source. ACC AD declares there is very little hope for a competitive ACC Network in future. Pint size REV stream

Same source gave us info on ACC/UMD settlement 2 weeks prior. More info tommorrow. ACC Network will have little value to increase

Per source this reality of the ACC network not increasing value for ACC schools will open up scenarios in realignment. Difficult days ACC

ME: Football season is coming to a close. You know what happens when that's the case. ;)
Well I guess we'll find out if the dude of Minnesota is for real tomorrow.

Reaction Score
The biggest problem that the ACC has is that FSU is their only football power right now. Look at the AP top 15: 4 SEC, 4 PAC 12, 3 Big 12, 3 B1G, 1 ACC. Basically, the ACC has become the "Big Least" of the P5. ACC football is built on a weak foundation as they are too dependent on FSU to carry the conference, and the media contract, although WAY better than the AAC's, will not match up with the rest of the P5 in the future.

Initially, the ACC should not be as bad as it is today. Miami and V Tech have been national powers in recent memory. On the other hand - Clemson and G Tech are playing second fiddle to S Carolina and UGA respectively, UNC, NC State & UVA have not lived up to their football potential in a long time, Pitt and Syracuse where good 30 and 20 years ago respectively, Louisville is too new to carry and weight and there are concerns that they are smoke & mirrors, Duke has been a surprise over the last 2 or so years but will likely not last when their coach gets scooped-up, Wake is hopeless, and BC lives on one pass from Flutie. Did I also mention that their savior, ND, is only it the ACC to avoid going tot he B1G? On the other hand, The BIG and it's tie to the CIC balances out the equation in that in a bad football year (or 4 or 5), the money and the academic ties prevent any school from leaving. The ACC does not have that.

Still, I believe that the XII will break-up first. No matter how well Baylor, TCU, and K State does, its the conference of U Texas and that makes it very unstable.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There won't be a lot of value in an ACC network? That's shocking inside info. No wait everyone knows that already.

Reaction Score
There won't be a lot of value in an ACC network? That's shocking inside info. No wait everyone knows that already.
Is this only because they have already sold their rights to ESPN for a considerable amount of time?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Is this only because they have already sold their rights to ESPN for a considerable amount of time?

Partially. ESPN having zero motivation to pay them any more is certainly an issue.

That they don't gave big enough fanbases, play second fiddle in a lot of markets and don't have a good enough football product is another pretty sizable problem.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Partially. ESPN having zero motivation to pay them any more is certainly an issue.

That they don't gave big enough fanbases, play second fiddle in a lot of markets and don't have a good enough football product is another pretty sizable problem.

This. The ACCN in a nutshell.

Reaction Score

Since they've lost Maryland, only in Virginia (2 schools) and North Carolina (4 schools) is the ACC school the clear favorite team.

Florida/Florida State goes to Florida, although that's close.
Georgia/GT clearly goes to Georgia
USCe/Clemson goes to USCe
Penn State/Pitt...clearly PSU
Syracuse/Rutgers/UConn/ND/PSU/Michigan/OSU in NYC means no winner
UK/Louisville...my sense is that, across the state, Kentucky has more fans. I guess I could be wrong on this one, though.
BC/UConn...really, Mass cares more about pro sports, and BC isn't really looked fondly upon. As a state, I'd bet UConn would very clearly take this with some winning seasons and continued UMass-Amherst losses.

Reaction Score
Since they've lost Maryland, only in Virginia (2 schools) and North Carolina (4 schools) is the ACC school the clear favorite team.

Florida/Florida State goes to Florida, although that's close.
Georgia/GT clearly goes to Georgia
USCe/Clemson goes to USCe
Penn State/Pitt...clearly PSU
Syracuse/Rutgers/UConn/ND/PSU/Michigan/OSU in NYC means no winner
UK/Louisville...my sense is that, across the state, Kentucky has more fans. I guess I could be wrong on this one, though.
BC/UConn...really, Mass cares more about pro sports, and BC isn't really looked fondly upon. As a state, I'd bet UConn would very clearly take this with some winning seasons and continued UMass-Amherst losses.

Florida, similar to LA, follows a winner. Just ask the Heat. Thus, the state as a whole may lean to Florida St right now; but, it has and will swing between FSU, U of F and U Miami depending on who is hot. Ditto in S Carolina, as the SEC has given the Gamecocks the lead over the Tigers right now; but, will go back and forth over time. Louisville has about 1/2 of the city (as the biggest city in Kentucky, it naturally draws a lot of Kentucky alumni) and the southern tip of Indiana and that's it. Kentucky on the whole wear Wildcat Blue. NYC metro is about split right now between the ACC and B1G, who ever gets UConn has the edge. Western Mass is already filled with UConn fans due to the rise athletically and academically of UConn (or the stagnation of UMass mostly due to Beacon Hill politics) as anything west of I-495 is in another state for most Bostonians. Thus, the SEC dominates the ACC's southern half and the B1G is making a hard push in it's northern half. Not a good spot, just ask Germany in WWII what the chances of winning a 2 front war are.

I wonder with the new from UNC, Syracuse, and the press from FSU, if Maryland, even with a large percentage of upset alumni, is thrilled to be out of that dumpster fire. If UNC is hammered by the NCAA, which I doubt, does it drive a wedge between UVA, which is clearly an academic first school, and UNC that allows the folks in Charlottesville to consider the B1G? Delany would welcome them with open arms and hopefully bring in UConn as their partner while waiting for UNC to fix its mess down the road as part of a plan to get to 20 schools.

Reaction Score
ESPN is not dumb...they treat college football like wrestling...build a villain...build ratings.

Sporting News:

"Face it, America. Jameis Winston-led Florida State is the nation’s favorite television show right now.

The ratings alone prove that. Regular-season games with Winston the past two seasons averaged a 3.8 Nielsen rating and 6.2 million viewers heading into Saturday. That included the Clemson game this season in which some tuned in simply to watch a suspended-Winston on the sideline . Heading into Saturday, only six other games this season had at least 6.2 million watching, and half of those games involved Alabama."

Reaction Score
ESPN is not dumb...they treat college football like wrestling...build a villain...build ratings.

Sporting News:

"Face it, America. Jameis Winston-led Florida State is the nation’s favorite television show right now.

The ratings alone prove that. Regular-season games with Winston the past two seasons averaged a 3.8 Nielsen rating and 6.2 million viewers heading into Saturday. That included the Clemson game this season in which some tuned in simply to watch a suspended-Winston on the sideline . Heading into Saturday, only six other games this season had at least 6.2 million watching, and half of those games involved Alabama."

True, but in the past 10 years, only 1 ACC football school has ended the season in the top 4 of either poll, FSU last year. If FSU is not winning, the ACC is in major trouble.

Reaction Score
Of course Delany is interested in the state of Virginia.

When the BIG added Maryland and even threw in Johns Hopkins for lacrosse, it was obvious they wanted to snag Virginia in the process to control the DC area.

And if Delany could ever convince UVA to join, which I personally doubt, the price tag would be adding Virginia Tech.

VT is not an AAU school but they are pretty close. And if that was the cost to add UVA, I'd imagine Delany would take that and run.

If it happened, Indiana would be put into the Western Conference to join in-state rival Purdue. VT and UVA would be put in with OSU, MSU, Michigan, Penn St, Rutgers, Maryland.

A lot of these ACC schools seem to come in package deals. Duke/UNC, UVA/VT.

So if two spots are left(who knows really), UConn doesn't want to see Virginia rumors. You want to see something like Georgia Tech.

pj

Reaction Score
ESPN's revenue-generating conferences are the SEC and ACC, and FSU is the bell cow of the ACC. ESPN will promote it however they can - as hero or villain - as long as they avoid indifference.

But the mediocrity of the ACC is a serious problem. When billybud writes of satisfaction at Maryland's departure because they didn't provide strong football competition, he's actually voicing support for FSU's departure from the ACC.

pj

Reaction Score
Of course Delany is interested in the state of Virginia.

When the BIG added Maryland and even threw in Johns Hopkins for lacrosse, it was obvious they wanted to snag Virginia in the process to control the DC area.

And if Delany could ever convince UVA to join, which I personally doubt, the price tag would be adding Virginia Tech.

VT is not an AAU school but they are pretty close. And if that was the cost to add UVA, I'd imagine Delany would take that and run.

If it happened, Indiana would be put into the Western Conference to join in-state rival Purdue. VT and UVA would be put in with OSU, MSU, Michigan, Penn St, Rutgers, Maryland.

A lot of these ACC schools seem to come in package deals. Duke/UNC, UVA/VT.

So if two spots are left(who knows really), UConn doesn't want to see Virginia rumors. You want to see something like Georgia Tech.

I doubt the B1G would favor UVa/VT over UVa/UConn or VT/UConn. UConn brings a second large market vs two teams in one market.

And I doubt the Virginia schools would be joined at the hip, since either would have the option of going to the SEC if indeed Virginia were raided; and UVa might still prefer a Tech-less ACC to the B1G.

Reaction Score

Sporting News:

I have no use for ESPN, but you folks have built your own honest to goodness villains. We'll see.

Reaction Score
ACC running on fumes. Been told story is in "the can". Will tell of little hope for ACCN to bring $ for schools. Disney will not subsidies

ACCN, if it gets off ground by 2017, will provide no relief. Buy back on Raycom and Fox Sports for Content only would leave scraps.

Reality has set in on ACC. Disney/ESPN will procure parts of B1G TV Tier 1 contract for 2017 and beyond even before major parts........

....of contract even go into negotiations between Delany/FOX/ESPN/CBS?...and others. In other words.....ESPN & Delany have been talking.

ACCN tag along with SECN works on paper...to get distribution. But it does not leave value/money for ACC schools in mid or long term w/o...

...Disney just putting in money/subsidies to give ACC schools another REV Stream. One ACC AD, besides VA TECH AD, is now on record....

...voicing major concern about future of his schools in paying the bills in the future landscape of Collegiate Sports. Basketball $ is...

...becoming a lower and lower part of the total AD budget. Besides Louisville and a couple other ACC schools..Increase Football $ is needed

Been told there is a story written to explain all of this.....strong belief it comers today 11/18. ACC is running on fumes in new world.

Scott Wright ‏@cscottwright 3h3 hours ago
@flugempire When will this story in the can be released to the media for publication?

@cscottwright I was told last night that it would come out today...11/18. With a current ACC AD telling his concern.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 3h3 hours ago
@flugempire If nobody goes to games nobody will subscribe or watch. Empty seats = loss of value.

@flugempire Bundle was always the plan. Yet ESPN already owned a majority of the rights.

@flugempire The value was always if ND joined as full member.

@flugempire I also had some chatter ESPN wanted ACC to assume at least half the startup risk.

@theDudeofWV Been told the buy back of content is possible....tag along with SECN is possible for distribution but at a very low rate....

@theDudeofWV ...of money coming back. ACCN is not dead on paper...but its dead in the sense of not giving ACC schools the needed REVENUE

@flugempire Yea... $19 million in base isn't great. ACC gave out $ from reserve last year or the year before last.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 3h3 hours ago
@theDudeofWV Bottom of ACC in $ needed bump of new REV Stream in year 2017/18/19/20. Not happening. First VA TECH AD talked..now another one

@theDudeofWV I do not have name of ACC AD who just talked. But it will be out there real soon. This is what I was told.

@flugempire Not just the bottom... UNC & FSU worried about revenue.

@flugempire If someone in the ACC is worried about revenues then either @_andrewcarter or @TalkinACCSports would know. But who isn't really

ME: Translation: ACC Network will happen. Revenues would be sufficient for schools to keep up. Addition of schools could become possible in years. UCONN fans, don't despair. :)

Reaction Score
ACC running on fumes. Been told story is in "the can". Will tell of little hope for ACCN to bring $ for schools. Disney will not subsidies

ACCN, if it gets off ground by 2017, will provide no relief. Buy back on Raycom and Fox Sports for Content only would leave scraps.

Reality has set in on ACC. Disney/ESPN will procure parts of B1G TV Tier 1 contract for 2017 and beyond even before major parts...

....of contract even go into negotiations between Delany/FOX/ESPN/CBS?...and others. In other words.....ESPN & Delany have been talking.

ACCN tag along with SECN works on paper...to get distribution. But it does not leave value/money for ACC schools in mid or long term w/o...

...Disney just putting in money/subsidies to give ACC schools another REV Stream. One ACC AD, besides VA TECH AD, is now on record....

...voicing major concern about future of his schools in paying the bills in the future landscape of Collegiate Sports. Basketball $ is...

...becoming a lower and lower part of the total AD budget. Besides Louisville and a couple other ACC schools..Increase Football $ is needed

Been told there is a story written to explain all of this.....strong belief it comers today 11/18. ACC is running on fumes in new world.

Scott Wright ‏@cscottwright 3h3 hours ago
@flugempire When will this story in the can be released to the media for publication?

@cscottwright I was told last night that it would come out today...11/18. With a current ACC AD telling his concern.

@flugempire If nobody goes to games nobody will subscribe or watch. Empty seats = loss of value.

@flugempire Bundle was always the plan. Yet ESPN already owned a majority of the rights.

@flugempire The value was always if ND joined as full member.

@flugempire I also had some chatter ESPN wanted ACC to assume at least half the startup risk.

@theDudeofWV Been told the buy back of content is possible....tag along with SECN is possible for distribution but at a very low rate....

@theDudeofWV ...of money coming back. ACCN is not dead on paper...but its dead in the sense of not giving ACC schools the needed REVENUE

@flugempire Yea... $19 million in base isn't great. ACC gave out $ from reserve last year or the year before last.

@theDudeofWV Bottom of ACC in $ needed bump of new REV Stream in year 2017/18/19/20. Not happening. First VA TECH AD talked..now another one

@theDudeofWV I do not have name of ACC AD who just talked. But it will be out there real soon. This is what I was told.

@flugempire Not just the bottom... UNC & FSU worried about revenue.

@flugempire If someone in the ACC is worried about revenues then either @_andrewcarter or @TalkinACCSports would know. But who isn't really

ME: Translation: ACC Network will happen. Revenues would be sufficient for schools to keep up. Addition of schools could become possible in years. UCONN fans, don't despair. :)
I sort of had a different 'take away.' My impression from the above was ACC can not / will not be able to keep up with other P5. Does that not convey a general sense of dread: The B1G, SEC will take the 'good parts' of the ACC, the BXII will take what is left, and we will have P4?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The ACC didn't just crush the Big East and install a GoR to just dissolve peacefully into the sweet P4 night. The ACC desperately needs its own network and it needs to look into expanding markets. It'll probably start with a full court press of ND, possibly even sweetening their already sweetened pot by allowing them to keep all side NBC revenue. If they're able to bring ND in full time, then they should look at markets (i.e. UCONN) for the ACCN, but will probably invite whoever is leading the AAC conference at the time that they expand (i.e. Memphis) thanks to some serious cash-blocking efforts from our backstabbing northeast private school neighbors. :confused:

Reaction Score
The ACC didn't just crush the Big East and install a GoR to just dissolve peacefully into the sweet P4 night. The ACC desperately needs its own network and it needs to look into expanding markets. It'll probably start with a full court press of ND, possibly even sweetening their already sweetened pot by allowing them to keep all side NBC revenue. If they're able to bring ND in full time, then they should look at markets (i.e. UCONN) for the ACCN, but will probably invite whoever is leading the AAC conference at the time that they expand (i.e. Memphis) thanks to some serious cash-blocking efforts from our backstabbing northeast private school neighbors. :confused:
You're right, of course...sounds like the ACC is dealing from a position of strength.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
You're right, of course...sounds like the ACC is dealing from a position of strength.

In my opinion, the ACC is no weaker than the B12 on the P5 power meter. The conference to survive any sort of P4 consolidation, if there is any, will be the one that acts most aggressively to protect its interests. I've seen one of these conferences act aggressively and one that hasn't really acted at all. I think that sort of mentality should serve the ACC fine over the long-term. It will never be a SEC, but I don't think it will ever be a Big East either. I'm not as confident about the B12's future.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, the ACC is no weaker than the B12 on the P5 power meter. The conference to survive any sort of P4 consolidation, if there is any, will be the one that acts most aggressively to protect its interests. I've seen one of these conferences act aggressively and one that hasn't really acted at all. I think that sort of mentality should serve the ACC fine over the long-term. It will never be a SEC, but I don't think it will ever be a Big East either. I'm not as confident about the B12's future.
Well, I really can't imagine the ACC will survive any P4 consolidation. The geographical footprint of the remaining P4 would sort of preclude the ACC coming out the other end intact, wouldn't it?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I sort of had a different 'take away.' My impression from the above was ACC can not / will not be able to keep up with other P5. Does that not convey a general sense of dread: The B1G, SEC will take the 'good parts' of the ACC, the BXII will take what is left, and we will have P4?

So no ACCN. So what? The Big XII isn't getting a network either. It isn't a kiss of death in any way shape or form. It is just a lower revenue stream than the other three. But that is in the world of TV that exists today. The BTN and SEC network could be useless in a few years, if cable goes away or is diminished, which it likely will be. The schools who own their own content and can stream to fans or via local channels may end up with an advantage.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well, I really can't imagine the ACC will survive any P4 consolidation. The geographical footprint of the remaining P4 would sort of preclude the ACC coming out the other end intact, wouldn't it?

Why would you say that? The Geo footprint of the ACC is probably the best in the whole country. The Big XII has a horrible footprint and no markets outside of Texas.

Reaction Score
So no ACCN. So what? The Big XII isn't getting a network either. It isn't a kiss of death in any way shape or form. It is just a lower revenue stream than the other three. But that is in the world of TV that exists today. The BTN and SEC network could be useless in a few years, if cable goes away or is diminished, which it likely will be. The schools who own their own content and can stream to fans or via local channels may end up with an advantage.
So, then, that's a problem..."just a lower revenue stream than the other three." That is sort of a 'thing'. Competitive advantage isn't just on the field or the court. That may actually be the least of it. Eyes are the prize - and no conference has a larger living alumni base then the B1G. It is not relevant how content is delivered (note all the advertising on your iPad, iPhone, etc.) just that it is delivered, and paid for. If you don't win the revenue stream game, you're probably not gonna win the realignment game. Ya know, for what it's worth...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom