Non-Key Tweets | Page 108 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Everyone who says CR hates UConn quickly forgot about going FCS to BCS...

Reaction Score
When it comes to seeing the future, Tuxedo Yoda makes the Dude look like Nostradamus. Please do not take anything he posts as being even remotely accurate. Without a conference network to leverage cable subscribers, how would the Big 12 generate enough money to pay for 4 new additions to the conference? A conference title game alone will not get it done. How are they going to get teams like Iowa State, Kansas, K State or Oklahoma State to sign on for less games against Texas and Oklahoma, and cross country trips to CT and NC to play Olympic Sports. It simply doesn't pass the smell test. UCONN's best bets IMO remain The B1G around 2017 when the new TV Deal is signed, or in The ACC as a replacement should the conference be raided by either The B1G or SEC.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

...at the same time that Miami, Va Tech, and BC left the Big East. Nope, the rule still holds true...

Reaction Score
When it comes to seeing the future, Tuxedo Yoda makes the Dude look like Nostradamus. Please do not take anything he posts as being even remotely accurate. Without a conference network to leverage cable subscribers, how would the Big 12 generate enough money to pay for 4 new additions to the conference? A conference title game alone will not get it done. How are they going to get teams like Iowa State, Kansas, K State or Oklahoma State to sign on for less games against Texas and Oklahoma, and cross country trips to CT and NC to play Olympic Sports. It simply doesn't pass the smell test. UCONN's best bets IMO remain The B1G around 2017 when the new TV Deal is signed, or in The ACC as a replacement should the conference be raided by either The B1G or SEC.
Survival. Sure, it's easy to say no if you think you are invincible. All it takes is for Texas to say "Sorry folks, park's closed" and Texas moves on its own to another conference. And all those other programs are left holding their sacks. They are much better off sacrificing some short term cash for long term stability.

Reaction Score
If get invited to the big 12 I'm sure we would have to play 1 game a year at met life or Yankee stadium which I wouldn't mind.

Reaction Score
If get invited to the big 12 I'm sure we would have to play 1 game a year at met life or Yankee stadium which I wouldn't mind.

There are two schools and their related conferences that really would not want to see UConn playing Texas and Oklahoma on a rotating basis every year at MetLife (or Yankee). And that does not include UConn's own football team, which would likely get pasted in the near term each game (maybe not against Texas this year). Playing Texas and Kansas on a rotating basis in basketball every year at MSG (or Barclays) would not be a bad thing either. Throw in UConn women against Baylor each year and that is solid TV money.

That said, I do not see this happening; but, I strongly encourage the flames to be fanned in hope of getting the B1G (hopefully) or the ACC (desperately) to finally act.

Reaction Score
What does one have to do with the other?
That conference realignment brought us from D1AA to a BCS conference? I think we're the only school to ever do that. I understand that the last few rounds have been brutal but at one time we were one of the biggest beneficiaries.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That conference realignment brought us from D1AA to a BCS conference? I think we're the only school to ever do that. I understand that the last few rounds have been brutal but at one time we were one of the biggest beneficiaries.

Conference realignment had nothing to do with our moving to BCS. We were transitioning before realignment started. We entered the Big East one year ahead of schedule because of realignment, but it was already happening - our application to the Big East was submitted in 1999 and we were full IA by 2002.

South Florida played its first football game of any kind in 1997 - they played four years at I-AA and then moved to IA and ultimately a BCS conference. So, obviously, we were not the only program to do so.

Still think we were a beneficiary of conference realignment?

Reaction Score
Conference realignment had nothing to do with our moving to BCS. We were transitioning before realignment started. We entered the Big East one year ahead of schedule because of realignment, but it was already happening - our application to the Big East was submitted in 1999 and we were full IA by 2002.

South Florida played its first football game of any kind in 1997 - they played four years at I-AA and then moved to IA and ultimately a BCS conference. So, obviously, we were not the only program to do so.

Still think we were a beneficiary of conference realignment?
1AA straight to BCS

Reaction Score
The crowds at the expanded Rent would be off the charts for games against the Big 12, not so much for the ACC.

Reaction Score
Ah, no.

We were both independents at IA before joining the Big East.

Is there a grade lower than F?

If you keep going, we're going to find out.
Maybe you're right, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's both.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Maybe you're right, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's both.

It's all right - you were probably three when all this was happening.

It's all on your parents for not keeping you up to date.

Reaction Score
We have to acknowledge that UCONN did benefit in a big way by making the jump to 1A and entering a BCS conference while many other good programs never played in a BCS conference. We got shafted by realignment, namely by Miami and VPI, but also made it to the Fiesta Bowl because of realignment (very weak BCS conference). Total net, of course, we got screwed.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We have to acknowledge that UCONN did benefit in a big way by making the jump to 1A and entering a BCS conference while many other good programs never played in a BCS conference. We got shafted by realignment, namely by Miami and VPI, but also made it to the Fiesta Bowl because of realignment (very weak BCS conference). Total net, of course, we got screwed.

Again, what did realignment have to do with our move to the Big East?

Reaction Score
Again, what did realignment have to do with our move to the Big East?
Did I say that? I said we made it to the Fiesta Bowl because of realignment.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Did I say that? I said we made it to the Fiesta Bowl because of realignment.

No we didn't. Apparently, you aren't understanding what Fishy has already typed. We were headed into the Big East as a football team PRIOR to any realignment, understood?

And if you think for one second that we are fortunate because we joined the Big East rather than another conference like, say, the MAC, then you are also out of your minds. We are a founding member of the Big East. We helped it grow. Hell, we even helped ESPN grow along with it. The idea that we had any bit of "good fortune" help us along the way outside of what we did ourselves is a fallacy.

You dig?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
No we didn't. Apparently, you aren't understanding what Fishy has already typed. We were headed into the Big East as a football team PRIOR to any realignment, understood?

And if you think for one second that we are fortunate because we joined the Big East rather than another conference like, say, the MAC, then you are also out of your minds. We are a founding member of the Big East. We helped it grow. Hell, we even helped ESPN grow along with it. The idea that we had any bit of "good fortune" help us along the way outside of what we did ourselves is a fallacy.

You dig?

Preach!

Reaction Score

You dig?
No offense, but don't get all up in my grill because you don't understand what I am saying. First, I understand we were headed to the Big East before realignment. I did not dispute that. I opined that we got to the Fiesta Bowl because of realignment. If you need me to spell it out for you, the Big East was weak because of realignment which resulted in UCONN's OK team making it to the Fiesta Bowl. We weren't even top 25, were we?
Second, we didn't deserve to bounce up to a BCS football conference just because we were the founding members of a great basketball conference. Louisville, as you know, was not in a BCS conference but was more deserving based on its football history.
Third, don't interpret what I may or may not understand, understand?

Reaction Score
Survival. Sure, it's easy to say no if you think you are invincible. All it takes is for Texas to say "Sorry folks, park's closed" and Texas moves on its own to another conference. And all those other programs are left holding their sacks. They are much better off sacrificing some short term cash for long term stability.

The question then would be do the only three schools in The Big 12 that actually matter (UT, OU, and KU) want the conference to survive long term? That is TBD. I don't doubt that schools like TCU or Kansas State would go along with any plan put in place, because they realize that should the Big 12 fold they are screwed. It would be hello Mountain West or AAC. If you are one of the kingpins of The Big 12 do you really vote for less money and increased travel cross country? Especially if you might consider exploring your options at the end of the current GOR?

Reaction Score
Well IF you believe the source about the B12 expansion, then you also have to believe when he said ESPN would keep members at current revenue levels. Travel costs would go up for some teams and possibly down for others like WVU. The level of basketball would go up immediately and there will be more marque match ups throughout the season.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
No offense, but don't get all up in my grill because you don't understand what I am saying. First, I understand we were headed to the Big East before realignment. I did not dispute that. I opined that we got to the Fiesta Bowl because of realignment. If you need me to spell it out for you, the Big East was weak because of realignment which resulted in UCONN's OK team making it to the Fiesta Bowl. We weren't even top 25, were we?
Second, we didn't deserve to bounce up to a BCS football conference just because we were the founding members of a great basketball conference. Louisville, as you know, was not in a BCS conference but was more deserving based on its football history.
Third, don't interpret what I may or may not understand, understand?

All you've proven is that you really don't understand, understand?

The Big East wasn't simply a basketball conference. It was a sports conference. It was also a mechanism for revenue for all of the schools in the Big East that decided to form the football conference. If you think that UConn had nothing to do with that, or with the financial success of the Big East schools prior to or during the conference's football creation, then you truly do NOT understand, understand?

Secondly, realignment had nothing to do with the fact that WE beat West Virginia. WE beat Pitt. WE beat Cincy. WE had NFL players on that roster. WE weren't gifted anything.

Good God, I'll never understand why I find so much underestimating of UConn's accomplishments on a friggin' UConn fan site...

Reaction Score
All you've proven is that you really don't understand, understand?

The Big East wasn't simply a basketball conference. It was a sports conference. It was also a mechanism for revenue for all of the schools in the Big East that decided to form the football conference. If you think that UConn had nothing to do with that, or with the financial success of the Big East schools prior to or during the conference's football creation, then you truly do NOT understand, understand?

Secondly, realignment had nothing to do with the fact that WE beat West Virginia. WE beat Pitt. WE beat Cincy. WE had NFL players on that roster. WE weren't gifted anything.

Good God, I'll never understand why I find so much underestimating of UConn's accomplishments on a friggin' UConn fan site...

Could it be their current conference affiliation?

Reaction Score
Disagree, CR does hate UConn but the one exception is Atlantic Hockey to Hockey East. That gets lost in the s***storm that has been CR in the last 3 or so years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom