Non-Key Tweets | Page 109 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Well IF you believe the source about the B12 expansion, then you also have to believe when he said ESPN would keep members at current revenue levels. Travel costs would go up for some teams and possibly down for others like WVU. The level of basketball would go up immediately and there will be more marque match ups throughout the season.

Think about what TY is proposing. ESPN owns UCONN, Cincy, ECU, and UCF as part of The AAC for pennies on the dollar of what most of those schools are worth. Why would they pay these schools over 10x more than they currently do, when they already own their rights? On top of that they share distribution with Fox on The Big 12. Both entities would have to be on board with paying the conference more.

Reaction Score
All you've proven is that you really don't understand, understand?

The Big East wasn't simply a basketball conference. It was a sports conference. It was also a mechanism for revenue for all of the schools in the Big East that decided to form the football conference. If you think that UConn had nothing to do with that, or with the financial success of the Big East schools prior to or during the conference's football creation, then you truly do NOT understand, understand?

Secondly, realignment had nothing to do with the fact that WE beat West Virginia. WE beat Pitt. WE beat Cincy. WE had NFL players on that roster. WE weren't gifted anything.

Good God, I'll never understand why I find so much underestimating of UConn's accomplishments on a friggin' UConn fan site...
All you really have to do is look at UCONN's schedule en route to the Fiesta Bowl and it will smack you in the face. Miami, VPI, and BCU were gone. OK, UCONN beat WVU that year. I am all for supporting UCONN and then some. But if you think the unranked 8-4 UCONN team beating WVU and making it to the Fiesta Bowl scenario had nothing to do with CR, then we simply disagree.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
All you really have to do is look at UCONN's schedule en route to the Fiesta Bowl and it will smack you in the face. Miami, VPI, and BCU were gone. OK, UCONN beat WVU that year. I am all for supporting UCONN and then some. But if you think the unranked 8-4 UCONN team beating WVU and making it to the Fiesta Bowl scenario had nothing to do with CR, then we simply disagree.

How quickly we forget that there was a 5-loss team in a BCS bowl before. And there were three other 4-loss teams in the BCS before. And none of them were from a conference named the Big East. And there were a slew of 3-loss teams as well. Just in case you missed it, here they are:

Wisconsin 8-5 (2012) they eventually lost this game and became a 6-loss team, but I digress.
Fla. St. 9-4 (2003)
Fla. St. 8-4 (2005)
Va. Tech 9-4 (2008)

Syracuse 8-3 (1999)
Stanford 8-3 (2000)
Purdue 8-3 (2001)
LSU 9-3 (2002)
Kan. St. 11-3 (2004)
Pitt 8-3 (2005)
Illinois 9-3 (2008)
West Va. 9-3 (2012)
Clemson 10-3 (2012)

So I'm seeing a lot of the ACC, and I'm seeing some B1G, and I even see 1 each from the Big12, Pac12, and SEC (although there is no argument that a 3-loss SEC team still probably deserved their spot).

I apologize if my tone was too over-the-top, but I'd be interested in knowing if we still "simply disagree" after you see this list. I'm guessing you won't disagree as strongly as you previously did...

Reaction Score
How quickly we forget that there was a 5-loss team in a BCS bowl before. And there were three other 4-loss teams in the BCS before. And none of them were from a conference named the Big East. And there were a slew of 3-loss teams as well. Just in case you missed it, here they are:

Wisconsin 8-5 (2012) they eventually lost this game and became a 6-loss team, but I digress.
Fla. St. 9-4 (2003)
Fla. St. 8-4 (2005)
Va. Tech 9-4 (2008)

Syracuse 8-3 (1999)
Stanford 8-3 (2000)
Purdue 8-3 (2001)
LSU 9-3 (2002)
Kan. St. 11-3 (2004)
Pitt 8-3 (2005)
Illinois 9-3 (2008)
West Va. 9-3 (2012)
Clemson 10-3 (2012)

So I'm seeing a lot of the ACC, and I'm seeing some B1G, and I even see 1 each from the Big12, Pac12, and SEC (although there is no argument that a 3-loss SEC team still probably deserved their spot).

I apologize if my tone was too over-the-top, but I'd be interested in knowing if we still "simply disagree" after you see this list. I'm guessing you won't disagree as strongly as you previously did...
You are really just proving my point.
The Big East conference in 2010 was bad. It was not close to the conference we were supposed to be joining. UCONN won that conference with an 8-4 record, which is very unimpressive. I believe the fact that Miami, VPI and BC were no longer in the conference falls under the realm of CR. Therefore CR was directly responsible for UCONN being in the Fiesta Bowl. If that line of thinking is illogical, I will retire. I would give back all the bowls UCONN has appeared in to be a mediocre team in the old Big East sans CR.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You are really just proving my point.
The Big East conference in 2010 was bad. It was not close to the conference we were supposed to be joining. UCONN won that conference with an 8-4 record, which is very unimpressive. I believe the fact that Miami, VPI and BC were no longer in the conference falls under the realm of CR. Therefore CR was directly responsible for UCONN being in the Fiesta Bowl. If that line of thinking is illogical, I will retire. I would give back all the bowls UCONN has appeared in to be a mediocre team in the old Big East sans CR.

If you want to make a case UConn was the final straw to lock non power conferences out of good bowls that can be argued.

But the ACC, Big 12 and Big 10 didn't expand because of it.

Reaction Score
Tuxedo Yoda @TuxedoYoda · 19h 19 hours ago
Told by an athletics guy in Austin & an East Coast media/website guy that realignment is about to start popping again.

Tuxedo Yoda @TuxedoYoda · 4h 4 hours ago
Big battle between Big 12 schools is taking conf to 12 or 14. TV entities will keep per team $ the same regardless.

Locks are Cinci & UCF.lots of conversation regarding UConn, ECU, USF, Memphis.....you can forget BYU & Boise St.

Tuxedo Yoda @TuxedoYoda · 3h 3 hours ago
The Big 12 is excited about idea of being the only major conference with a presence in Texas, Ohio & Florida. Networks love this as well.

My comment: Remember Rule #1 of Conference Realignment
picked-last.jpg

lots of symbolism here:
the bench is the AAC
the empty space represents where UC, UCF, ECU, and probably USF used to sit
that little kid, is obviously uconn
his sad outlook symbolizes the BY
the field in the back is the P5 playground, just out of sight where all his old childhood friends are playing. someone closed the gate so he can't get in.
the bright spost is he still has his bat, glove and ball. just waiting for his chance

Reaction Score
Think about what TY is proposing. ESPN owns UCONN, Cincy, ECU, and UCF as part of The AAC for pennies on the dollar of what most of those schools are worth. Why would they pay these schools over 10x more than they currently do, when they already own their rights? On top of that they share distribution with Fox on The Big 12. Both entities would have to be on board with paying the conference more.
for some reason, when you dust of the stains of G5 affiliation and smear on some P5 lipstick, the media can't tell the difference. case in point is the immediate pumping up of and inclusion of Rutgers Football in some of the mainstream media as if they in the national discussion.
the whole college fb scene is one massive circle jerk between the media, the conferences, the individual schools, the fans and the media.

Reaction Score

Is it possible ESPN and FOX are willing to do this because it would put all the conferences east of the Rockies at a balanced number of 14. It would also put each conference into the other conferences territories. ACC all of the East coast and stretching into Midwest with ND and Louisville. Big 10 into ACC with Maryland and Big12 with Nebraska. Big 12 into North East, Florida and Ohio. Everybody is everywhere. Somewhat locking down realignment for sometime to come, which has to be better for both them moving forward. With The Big12 at 10 there's always the threat of ESPN losing teams from the ACC devaluing their cherished property. And since the they share the BIG12 the cost of doing this is half.

Just a thought.

Reaction Score
Is it possible ESPN and FOX are willing to do this because it would put all the conferences east of the Rockies at a balanced number of 14. It would also put each conference into the other conferences territories. ACC all of the East coast and stretching into Midwest with ND and Louisville. Big 10 into ACC with Maryland and Big12 with Nebraska. Big 12 into North East, Florida and Ohio. Everybody is everywhere. Somewhat locking down realignment for sometime to come, which has to be better for both them moving forward. With The Big12 at 10 there's always the threat of ESPN losing teams from the ACC devaluing their cherished property. And since the they share the BIG12 the cost of doing this is half.

Just a thought.

I wonder if ESPN would be interested in doing it just to get the AAC off television. If I recall correctly, UConn, Cincinnati and I think 2 other schools had some special status in the AAC contract whereby if they left the contract would be renegotiated. We do seem to be getting good television exposure under the current AAC contract. I'm sure ESPN would prefer to fill those slots with P5 games.

Of course if past precedent continues to hold, we can expect Cincinnati and UCF to go to the P5, UConn to be left behind, the AAC contract to be renegotiated and our television exposure to revert to ESPN 3.

Reaction Score
Tuxedo Yoda @TuxedoYoda · 19h 19 hours ago
Told by an athletics guy in Austin & an East Coast media/website guy that realignment is about to start popping again.

Big battle between Big 12 schools is taking conf to 12 or 14. TV entities will keep per team $ the same regardless.

Locks are Cinci & UCF.lots of conversation regarding UConn, ECU, USF, Memphis.....you can forget BYU & Boise St.

Tuxedo Yoda @TuxedoYoda · 3h 3 hours ago
The Big 12 is excited about idea of being the only major conference with a presence in Texas, Ohio & Florida. Networks love this as well.

My comment: Remember Rule #1 of Conference Realignment

I think it makes sense for the Big 12 to expand their footprint and number of teams provided per team payout remains the same. It is unfortunate that common sense cannot prevail in this scenario: Louisville, Cincinnati, UCF, USF to the Big 12 and UConn to the ACC. Big 12 at 14, ACC stays 14 and ND stays independent, B1G at 14, SEC at 14, PAC can stay at 12 with possible expansion down the road if desirable and worthwhile West Coat team ever emerges for them.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I think it makes sense for the Big 12 to expand their footprint and number of teams provided per team payout remains the same. It is unfortunate that common sense cannot prevail in this scenario: Louisville, Cincinnati, UCF, USF to the Big 12 and UConn to the ACC. Big 12 at 14, ACC stays 14 and ND stays independent, B1G at 14, SEC at 14, PAC can stay at 12 with possible expansion down the road if desirable and worthwhile West Coat team ever emerges for them.
Dude! Did you just dump us in the ACC? You are our biggest B1G supporter. Oh, man, B1GALUM, say it aint so!

Reaction Score

Just a thought.

Very good point. I look at the modern-day conferences as made up of "cores" and "territories". The "cores" are the schools that are most identified by their conferences. For the ACC, it's UNC, Duke, UVA, WF, NCSU, Clemson. For the PAC it's Stanford, USC, UCLA and Cal. Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana of the Big Ten. Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi of the SEC. You get the point.

Then the "territories" are the areas where the conferences are spreading their influences.

If the Big 12 expands East then they continue to have six to nine schools that are in the "core" area. Those schools like Oklahoma, Kansas, Kansas State and Oklahoma State are "core" to their conference, just as they were in the old Big 8. Nebraska was always a threat to leave, even early last century. Then they finally did. Expansion would be an expression that they intend to remain together for the long term. They won't do it unless that is their intention. The votes to disband would have a much higher barrier to overcome. Texas might or might not leave at the end of the GoR but I fail to see from their standpoint where they would get a better deal than they have currently.

You know my preference for UConn. However, if the Big 12 takes you then I would be happy for you guys.

Reaction Score
Dude! Did you just dump us in the ACC? You are our biggest B1G supporter. Oh, man, B1GALUM, say it aint so!

It aint so. I still think you guys are a good fit for the B1G. It was more just in response to the tweet from the well dressed and perhaps drunk jedi master about Big 12 expansion and for the sake of conversation accepting his tweet as a possibility. I always thought a Louisville, Cincinnati, West Virginia package made more sense for the Big 12 than Louisville in the ACC and UConn on the outside looking in. Regarding the B1G, Delany was talking yesterday during the OSU vs Maryland game about expansion with universities that are state, research institutions who are "academic, athletic and cultural fits" for the conference. I still believe UConn fits this mold and should be on the B1G radar if the conference ever does decide to expand again.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
It aint so. I still think you guys are a good fit for the B1G. It was more just in response to the tweet from the well dressed and perhaps drunk jedi master about Big 12 expansion and for the sake of conversation accepting his tweet as a possibility. I always thought a Louisville, Cincinnati, West Virginia package made more sense for the Big 12 than Louisville in the ACC and UConn on the outside looking in. Regarding the B1G, Delany was talking yesterday during the OSU vs Maryland game about expansion with universities that are state, research institutions who are "academic, athletic and cultural fits" for the conference. I still believe UConn fits this mold and should be on the B1G radar if the conference ever does decide to expand again.
See now that's what I'm talking about.

Reaction Score
I wonder if ESPN would be interested in doing it just to get the AAC off television. If I recall correctly, UConn, Cincinnati and I think 2 other schools had some special status in the AAC contract whereby if they left the contract would be renegotiated. We do seem to be getting good television exposure under the current AAC contract. I'm sure ESPN would prefer to fill those slots with P5 games.

Of course if past precedent continues to hold, we can expect Cincinnati and UCF to go to the P5, UConn to be left behind, the AAC contract to be renegotiated and our television exposure to revert to ESPN 3.

In case you haven't been paying attention, ESPN has fewer games available than in the past. Why? The BTN, the SEC Network, the Pac 12 Network, FOX, ... ESPN needs college football content. Based on the ratings of the AAC games and what ESPN is paying for them, the games are a great deal for ESPN.

Reaction Score
TV networks love the idea of being in Ohio? As opposed to the Northeast? That's laughable.

Reaction Score
In case you haven't been paying attention, ESPN has fewer games available than in the past. Why? The BTN, the SEC Network, the Pac 12 Network, FOX, ... ESPN needs college football content. Based on the ratings of the AAC games and what ESPN is paying for them, the games are a great deal for ESPN.

Can you post a link to the ratings for the AAC? TIA.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Stop it. You used to pimp the WV guys.

Can you provide a link to the post where you said UConn would get smoked in realignment? You can only throw stones if you are occasionally right about something.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Can you provide a link to the post where you said UConn would get smoked in realignment? You can only throw stones if you are occasionally right about something.

You were up the WVU guy's asses. You can't weasel out of that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ah, no.

We were both independents at IA before joining the Big East.

Is there a grade lower than F?

If you keep going, we're going to find out.

His point, I think, is that UConn is the only school that has ever jumped 1AA to 1A (FBS) and played its first conference season in a top level conference. It was lucky...the last bit of luck the program got.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Top to bottom...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 23m23 minutes ago
New NBA TV 9 year contract with ESPN-TNT tripled in value over current TV contract. New Big 10 TV contract for 2016 is now up on block....

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 22m22 minutes ago
New Big 10 Tier 1 contract is going to at least double over current contract. The ripple effect from this new contract will be substantial.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 21m21 minutes ago
Delany will use BTN as leverage in negotiations. It's his hammer and ESPN will be the nail. FOX and ESPN will split....night games will grow

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 20m20 minutes ago
Because of the timing of the new Big 10 TV contract....expansion to 16 schools before 2017 can't be ruled out......it just can't. However..

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 19m19 minutes ago
any Big 10 expansion before 2019-20 will need to include Big Brand football school to max out Big 10 football value during TV negotiations

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 18m18 minutes ago
The epic question on Conference Realignment/Expansion is what does Disney decide to do? Pay $$$ for continued split Tier 1 Big 10 football

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 16m16 minutes ago
...or does it back away from Big 10 football and go all-in on ACC network?. Or does Disney do both, pay $ for split B1G and invest in ACCN

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 15m15 minutes ago
But either way the next B1G TV contract is going to be staggering....and pressure will mount on ACC Commissioner to come up with $ for ACC

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 11m11 minutes ago
@CTMike78 UCONN will not be a part of any Big 10 tier 1 negotiations with "TV"....maybe no schools will be...but after new TV contract...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 10m10 minutes ago
@CTMike78 ....has been completed UCONN could be a part of expansion in 2019/20. The timing for UCONN/B1G is not now....but UCONN is rising

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 6m6 minutes ago
@CTMike78 The value that UCONN would bring to the Big 10 is Research $...and BTN Basketball rising TV ad money. If...and its a big if...if..

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 5m5 minutes ago
@CTMike78 the Big 10 does choose to expand during/right after new TV contract is finished it will be about adding an "Oklahoma or VA Tech"

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 4m4 minutes ago
@CTMike78 Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Big 10 is going to land OU or VA Tech...but if Big 10 expands during new TV contract it...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 3m3 minutes ago
@CTMike78 will be about Football brand....to increase the Tier 1 contract during negotiations. UCONN value is after the new contract..BTN$

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 1m1 minute ago
I just used VA TECH and Oklahoma as examples in what Big 10 would expand with in 2016/17. Do not believe it will and can occur. UCONN...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 2m2 minutes ago
@flugempire UCONN value to Big 10 will never be about football and Tier 1 contract....but increase BTN ad money...major basketball content

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom