Leadership this coming season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Leadership this coming season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bazz yelled at teamates. He shoved Boat on the floor in the National Championship game :). He's a great leader.

So he constantly barked at teammates because he pushed a junior once that he knew could handle it during a NC game? I stand corrected.

Reaction Score
So he constantly barked at teammates because he pushed a junior once that he knew could handle it during a NC game? I stand corrected.

Don't get mad because you said something dumb and got called out.

Reaction Score
Don't get mad because you said something dumb and got called out.

I could call you out real bad but I won't do it. I don't come here to start fights behind my keyboard. I guess I'm a bad fan because even though Boatright is one of my favorite players I personally think he was a poor leader last year. Ok I get it.

Reaction Score
I could call you out real bad but I won't do it. I don't come here to start fights behind my keyboard. I guess I'm a bad fan because even though Boatright is one of my favorite players I personally think he was a poor leader last year. Ok I get it.

No, you don't get it. It's not about being a bad fan. Your problem is that you think you have any insight at all into his leadership based on what you watched on television.

Reaction Score
Is there anything worse than an outsider trying to evaluate leadership? You have no earthly idea if Boatright was a good leader or not.
This right here is gold.
Dudes - you simply CANNOT determine leadership qualities based on the narrow angle view your TV gives you 1.3 hours a week when you watch. Cannot be done. Anybody questioning Boat's leadership needs to slow their flow. Unless you are in that huddle, and in the locker room, and on the bus, and so on, you are in no position to judge. Barking out orders on the floor in a manner that is discernible to the home audience does not equate with leadership.

Leave it to Ollie. LITO. PLEASE!

Reaction Score
pretty sure donny was referring to the addition of two grad students, which undoubtedly boosts leadership in the locker room, regardless of how good boat was at that. Dont think his statement had anything to do with ryan.

But i will note, its possible people know players in the locker room, or off second hand knowledge from past players/people connected deep into the program... its not that crazy.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
No, you don't get it. It's not about being a bad fan. Your problem is that you think you have any insight at all into his leadership based on what you watched on television.
Everyone has an opinion and it is based on absolutely nothing.
Unless you, huskiesnyc or I wore a uniform and hung around the young man 50% of the day the past 4 years, none of us know squat
Boat was/is Boat and Bazz was/is Bazz - two different people but two great UConn players who have the ring(s) to flash

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
No harm no foul @huskiesnyc. You know Im not trying to flame you. Just pointing out that Bazz was tough with his team because that is the role of your senior leader and boat was right to check guys too. Opinion.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I would read it as "we have depth at leadership this year".

Boat was a leader, but I think everyone deferred to him too much. I think they step out of his shadow this year

Not Boat's fault, it just was what it was

Reaction Score
No harm no foul @huskiesnyc. You know Im not trying to flame you. Just pointing out that Bazz was tough with his team because that is the role of your senior leader and boat was right to check guys too. Opinion.

This is not an original thought, I know, but how many of us would continue to laud Bazz's leadership with an Amidah front rim?

The only thing we know for sure is that Boat was by far and a way the best player on our team last year, and he improved his body language 10 fold since freshman year.

Reaction Score
Kid hit 85% of his free throws last year.

Your success rate is far lower than that.
Boat was an important part of a championship team.

But sometimes when you hit 'em is more important than your percentage. Ask Skip Dillard.

Reaction Score
Boat was an important part of a championship team.

But sometimes when you hit 'em is more important than your percentage. Ask Skip Dillard.
Pal just stop. I don't recall Boat missing FTs in the Championship game. When's more important than that?!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Leadership is a catch-all blame bucket when a team isn't very good.

Start rebounding the basketball and add a couple of players who can score and all of a sudden leadership won't be an issue.
When a team loses, they "lack leadership." When they win, they "had great leaders." Translation: everyone is making sh_t up after the games have been played.
Chemistry is the other catch-all blame bucket that people make up.

Reaction Score

Well the elephant in the room from last years team has been removed so that should help leadership. This year the elephant is not only gone but could be replaced with what may turn out to be tremendous incentive to land in Houston. So the future road (no explosives) could then be paved with 30M diamonds even if it takes five years to travel down that road to get them.

Just a thought...jmho from my limited observations.

Reaction Score
There may actually be a small rift between Boat and some others in the UCONN family. I don't think Boat graduated. He sorta bailed on the last NIT game. Maybe they need to get it out...Maybe Donny is just the guy...I'm just thinking out loud.
Boat didn't "bail" on the NIT game, he was injured by SMU in the first half during the AAC finals. Which was smart going on SMU's part because knocking him around was the only way they were going to win that game. He played hurt and was ineffective in the finals and and then sat out the NIT, but saying he bailed on the NIT game is absurd.

Reaction Score
Everyone has an opinion and it is based on absolutely nothing.
Unless you, huskiesnyc or I wore a uniform and hung around the young man 50% of the day the past 4 years, none of us know squat
Boat was/is Boat and Bazz was/is Bazz - two different people but two great UConn players who have the ring(s) to flash

Do you know that you're agreeing with me?

Reaction Score
There may actually be a small rift between Boat and some others in the UCONN family. I don't think Boat graduated. He sorta bailed on the last NIT game. Maybe they need to get it out...Maybe Donny is just the guy...I'm just thinking out loud.
:rolleyes:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Some tough fans.
First, I believe Marshall meant there wasn't enough leadership. I don't think he was going after Boat.
Boat was more of a point guard and more of a leader than I thought he was capable of being, He carried the team on his back for most of the season when no one else could even be trusted to handle the ball. When D.Ham and Purvis started doing something, he gladly distributed to them. I think people are forgetting how inept so much of the team was for so much of the season.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I don't care if you know players on the team. You don't know anything about the leadership, only the guys in the locker room know about leadership, and they likely won't tell you the whole story.

Reaction Score
A couple of days after Shabazz signed with UConn in the spring I was lucky enough to meet George Blaney and have a one on one half hour conversation about the team and the new addition. He said that the team that previous year was missing leadership in the locker room and that fans were going to love Shabazz because of the swagger and the fact that he might even bring leadership as a freshman because he held teammates accountable. He was very self satisfied with the addition of Shabazz in terms of his talent and leadership being a perfect match to what the team needed. As it turned out, no one would now doubt that Kemba owned that team and stepped forward as a great leader, yet for whatever reason had not exerted himself in that role previously. Even a player like Shabazz with leadership skills himself, enrolled 100% behind Kemba. My point being that leadership could come from an existing player on the team like Purvis or Brimah that deferred to Boat, or from our experienced 5th year players like Gibbs and Miller, but, like Shabazz and El Amin before him, I believe Jalen Adams will either support the leader or step in and do it himself. Whenever I have seen him he is directing things the way El Amin did even during pickup games on his official visit. He takes the clutch game deciding shots and makes them like Shabazz. He spits in the eye of precocious competitors like Isiah Briscoe and says bring it on. At the same time he is all about team and keeps feeding the hot hand of a teammate and distributes the glory. I have no doubt we will be lead this year by proven players with Adams 100% enrolled (a la Shabazz), or Adams will fill the void himself by earning the respect of the team, (El Amin).

Reaction Score
A couple of days after Shabazz signed with UConn in the spring I was lucky enough to meet George Blaney and have a one on one half hour conversation about the team and the new addition. He said that the team that previous year was missing leadership in the locker room and that fans were going to love Shabazz because of the swagger and the fact that he might even bring leadership as a freshman because he held teammates accountable. He was very self satisfied with the addition of Shabazz in terms of his talent and leadership being a perfect match to what the team needed. As it turned out, no one would now doubt that Kemba owned that team and stepped forward as a great leader, yet for whatever reason had not exerted himself in that role previously. Even a player like Shabazz with leadership skills himself, enrolled 100% behind Kemba. My point being that leadership could come from an existing player on the team like Purvis or Brimah that deferred to Boat, or from our experienced 5th year players like Gibbs and Miller, but, like Shabazz and El Amin before him, I believe Jalen Adams will either support the leader or step in and do it himself. Whenever I have seen him he is directing things the way El Amin did even during pickup games on his official visit. He takes the clutch game deciding shots and makes them like Shabazz. He spits in the eye of precocious competitors like Isiah Briscoe and says bring it on. At the same time he is all about team and keeps feeding the hot hand of a teammate and distributes the glory. I have no doubt we will be lead this year by proven players with Adams 100% enrolled (a la Shabazz), or Adams will fill the void himself by earning the respect of the team, (El Amin).
Thx for sharing. Have a good1.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If Shabazz pushed Boatright in a disappointing year like 2012, it would be viewed as the epitome of what was wrong with that team. If he does it during a championship year, it's viewed as the type of tough love that great leaders dole out.
While Bazz showed plenty of leadership in his day, that push wasn't a example of it. That was a guy losing his cool. Boat was the hero of that exchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom