Leadership this coming season | The Boneyard

Leadership this coming season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting quote from Donny Marshall in this article.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...ny-marshall-bullying-0818-20150817-story.html

"I get the unfiltered Ollie because of our relationship. He is optimistic because now he has players with leadership qualities to go with players who can score and understand how to play defense," Marshall said.

"They were lacking some leaders last year. I think we can see UConn get back to where we want them to be."

So was Boatright not a good leader? I don't think Brimah was ready for that role last year so I doubt he helped much in the leadership department even though he was a captain. So does Ollie think that Gibbs and Miller, both as 5th year D1 players even though this is their first and only year here at UConn, are going to be good leaders? I'm just curious what exactly that quote means.

Reaction Score
Yeah Hoop I thought the same thing the other day and questioned the captains, but seeing it was Boat and AB I didn't want to fall any further down OkaFor's list, lol.

Seriously I think Boat is a leader by example, obviously played hard and cared, but not what they needed necessarily. And AB, not his fault.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Boat was a great leader, but the team needed more than just him. Even Kemba had Donnell Beverly to help him lead; Boatright never had that second upperclassman.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Leadership is a catch-all blame bucket when a team isn't very good.

Start rebounding the basketball and add a couple of players who can score and all of a sudden leadership won't be an issue.

Reaction Score
Leadership is a catch-all blame bucket when a team isn't very good.

Start rebounding the basketball and add a couple of players who can score and all of a sudden leadership won't be an issue.
I agree. It's like in baseball they always talk about team chemistry being bad on bad teams. But if a team is winning chemistry wouldn't be called into question. Does lack of team chemistry cause teams to be bad or does winning help team chemistry? Which comes first?

Reaction Score
Obviously love Boat but I don't think vocal leadership was one of his strong suits.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Boat was clearly going it alone far too often. You could literally see the other kids deferring to him, standing around not helping.

Reaction Score
Interesting to see everyone put their spin on it.

I have no idea if Boat was a great leader or not. Only the guys know that.

I do know that if Boat hits his foul shots, we're in a much better place instead of spending the season digging out of a hole.

Reaction Score

I do know that if Boat hits his foul shots, we're in a much better place instead of spending the season digging out of a hole.
I don't think anyone is contesting if he was great or not, but its a fact he was our team's leader last year, and at the end of the season deserved the title.

Reaction Score
I think Purvis is a much more charismatic figure and now in his third season with the program is poised to lead. AB is obviously a second year captain. I'm hoping guys like Omar and Phil who may not contribute a ton on the court take on a Beverly or Olander type role and help the team by being a great leader in the locker room.

Reaction Score

Obviously you can point to a few key ones he missed and look at what happened in those games, but in the big picture Boatright's free-throw shooting was so far down the list of our problems last year that it doesn't even deserve a mention.

Reaction Score

What is your problem?

Reaction Score
Love Boat and he's one of my favorites but leadership wasn't his thing. He would basically yell at his teammates and everyone would play worse and be scared to shoot or make a mistake. I think Purvis will be better since he's such a positive guy with a big personality.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Love Boat and he's one of my favorites but leadership wasn't his thing. He would basically yell at his teammates and everyone would play worse and be scared to shoot or make a mistake. I think Purvis will be better since he's such a positive guy with a big personality.
Bazz yelled at teamates. He shoved Boat on the floor in the National Championship game :). He's a great leader.

Reaction Score
I'm a little surprised Donny would make these statements. I'm really surprised he implied these thoughts came directly from KO. I'm sure he was trying to stress UCONN is back, but this mostly reads as a slam of Boat. Seems sorta careless. It probably doesn't matter though. It's just off-season chatter.

Reaction Score
There may actually be a small rift between Boat and some others in the UCONN family. I don't think Boat graduated. He sorta bailed on the last NIT game. Maybe they need to get it out...Maybe Donny is just the guy...I'm just thinking out loud.

Reaction Score
I think many place far too little emphasis on JUST having a team with some experience. Giffey & Kromah (as well as the unworldly Shabazz) left with grizzled hoop IQ. No once coming on last year had the right stuff to replace that. Boat had a great year - imo. But, too many others were very inconsistent and very weak at crucial game moments. And, then we seem to get somewhat better as the year went on. Daniel Hamilton, Rodney Purvis, Amida Brimah all had generally learning curve years.

Reaction Score

meme-black-girl-confused-4-407x300.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul