Leadership this coming season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Leadership this coming season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting quote from Donny Marshall in this article.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...ny-marshall-bullying-0818-20150817-story.html

"I get the unfiltered Ollie because of our relationship. He is optimistic because now he has players with leadership qualities to go with players who can score and understand how to play defense," Marshall said.

"They were lacking some leaders last year. I think we can see UConn get back to where we want them to be."

So was Boatright not a good leader? I don't think Brimah was ready for that role last year so I doubt he helped much in the leadership department even though he was a captain. So does Ollie think that Gibbs and Miller, both as 5th year D1 players even though this is their first and only year here at UConn, are going to be good leaders? I'm just curious what exactly that quote means.
I love the Boat but sometimes he would be visibly down when he was having a bad game. Good leaders need to be up all the time.

Reaction Score
Who are the leaders? Gibbs and Miller? Because other than that we have the same guys we had last year, plus freshmen (who usually arent team leaders). Or did some of our guys develop into leaders that werent leaders last year? Those are the question that go on in my head. We wont know much until we see the guys take the court though.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Who are the leaders? Gibbs and Miller? Because other than that we have the same guys we had last year, plus freshmen (who usually arent team leaders). Or did some of our guys develop into leaders that weren't leaders last year? Those are the question that go on in my head. We wont know much until we see the guys take the court though.
As the point was made before RE: Kemba in 2011, don't underestimate the chemistry changes that take place when senior leaders leave. This isn't a knock on Boat, I'm of the mind that he was in fact a great team leader, but his absence stirs the drink. When a new person at the top steps up, it shifts the entire hierarchy and can have a dramatic effect, even with the same guys.

Reaction Score
While Bazz showed plenty of leadership in his day, that push wasn't a example of it. That was a guy losing his cool. Boat was the hero of that exchange.

You must know the exchange then? Because I don't so I have no idea who was right in that exchange. It could be that the push was well deserved because of a remark or attitude given, or it could be it was not. I doubt anyone really knows if there even was a "hero" in that particular moment.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You must know the exchange then? Because I don't so I have no idea who was right in that exchange. It could be that the push was well deserved because of a remark or attitude given, or it could be it was not. I doubt anyone really knows if there even was a "hero" in that particular moment.
Boat took it, he didn't let his emotions take over. That's admirable in that big spot. And what the hell would constitute "well-deserved" right there? The guy was playing his balls off, hurt no less.

Reaction Score
There were times last season, especially late in close games, where the team seemed like it could have benefited from more leaders. Therefore, I am not shocked by Donny's comment about that. I did not see it as an attack on any individual. It was just a young team.

On the flip side, it is great to hear the optimism about this season and that there appear to be leaders in place. We know the talent is there. If the chemistry, of which leadership is a critical piece, comes together things will be fun!

Reaction Score
Boat took it, he didn't let his emotions take over. That's admirable in that big spot. And what the hell would constitute "well-deserved" right there? The guy was playing his balls off, hurt no less.

Pretty sure the other guy was playing his balls off also. Hurt or not if you're not listening and someone needs to do something to ensure you are then do it. It's not tittly winks it's a national championship and they're big boys. There was a reason for it nonetheless and since we don't know, hard to call. Both were quite important to the result so I could care less about a passionate exchange.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
One senior leader (Boatright) isn't enough. Look back to '13-14 and you'll realize that Bazz had two other seniors who had been through extreme highs and lows (Giffey and Olander), a grad transfer who already had a degree (Kromah) and two respected upperclassmen who contributed heavily on the court (Boat and D). That's a huge amount of leadership to lose over the course of an offseason. It doesn't matter how good or bad of a leader Boat was, he didn't have anyone behind him and that's what hurt us.

Reaction Score
Boat didn't "bail" on the NIT game, he was injured by SMU in the first half during the AAC finals. Which was smart going on SMU's part because knocking him around was the only way they were going to win that game. He played hurt and was ineffective in the finals and and then sat out the NIT, but saying he bailed on the NIT game is absurd.

I don't think it's absurd at all. A very reliable source has claimed we had a leadership issue last year. The source didn't just diagnose the issue himself. The source claims that assessment comes directly from our head coach. Flashback to the last game of last years season. Our primary leader doesn't play in the last game of the year and he publicly said he would have played in a more important NCAA game. Not playing (combined with that statement) just may have rubbed some players/coaches the wrong way. I would not be surprised if someone on the team used that exact word (bailed).

Reaction Score
One senior leader (Boatright) isn't enough. Look back to '13-14 and you'll realize that Bazz had two other seniors who had been through extreme highs and lows (Giffey and Olander), a grad transfer who already had a degree (Kromah) and two respected upperclassmen who contributed heavily on the court (Boat and D). That's a huge amount of leadership to lose over the course of an offseason. It doesn't matter how good or bad of a leader Boat was, he didn't have anyone behind him and that's what hurt us.

This ^^^^^

And this squad has plenty of "leaders" now so whether you're a captain or not you can lead. This team will find chemistry and when they do it will be fun to watch.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Pretty sure the other guy was playing his balls off also. Hurt or not if you're not listening and someone needs to do something to ensure you are then do it. It's not tittly winks it's a national championship and they're big boys. There was a reason for it nonetheless and since we don't know, hard to call. Both were quite important to the result so I could care less about a passionate exchange.
I mean its pretty obvious Boat had made an error because 1) Bazz called the set, 2) Bazz had the ball and 3) Boat was close enough to be shoved which means he was in the completely wrong area of the court. So there's no debating the justification of the action.

Reaction Score
Pal just stop. I don't recall Boat missing FTs in the Championship game. When's more important than that?!
This conversation is about 2015 not the championship year.

Reaction Score
No its about Boat and responsing to him not hitting FTs when it matters. Those FTs validated his abilities to hit FTs in close games, regardless of his 2015 performance.

Therefore FTs as a part of his leadership is not an issue.

Reaction Score

But it puts the lie to your ridiculous contention that Boatright is somehow incapable of hitting important free throws. A national championship game is an incredibly high-pressure situation. He went 4-4. He was a career 79% FT shooter, and he hit an exceptional 85% as a senior. Criticizing his free throw shooting is idiotic.

Reaction Score
Re: Oakz query
I saw Adams in person 5x for Brewster Academy last year against South Kent, ST Thomas Moore, New Hampton, Montrose (B Team), and Vermont Academy. On TV in the All Star game vs Briscoe, and then just online clips of misc games that for the most part were edited. The home games for Brewster Academy only have 100 to 150 fans and half of those or more are other kids that go there and live with these players in a small environment. Chatting with a few of the kids and team manager types at half time and pre game, they give you some insight into the kids. From their prospective Adams was respected and liked by his teammates and from appearances was a leader among stars. That contrasts by the way with conversations I had about the South Kent and Vermont teams where there didn't seem to be harmony and "ten toes in" for the team according to conversations with a couple people who traveled with the teams. Leadership of course is just my impression but on the court I have thought we wouldn't want to trade for anybody else. Think of the play where Bazz ran off the court and yanked Kromah to his feet and ran back on D, we'll see that from Adams. My Briscoe comments came from twitter dialogue that was posted about the attitude between the Brewster kids and Briscoe. 3 Brewster kids played in that All Star game and there was obviously something extra between them and Briscoe friends.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Score the basket, help Kromah up and get back on defense is one of my all time favorite plays!

N. Dakota, I read it very different. He said "leaders" not " a leader". I think Mau got it right.

If anyone was expecting more of a point guard from Boat, you forgot who the guy was his first 3 years. He exceeded all expectations. If you felt that Boat lacked leadership, you watched a different player than I did. Yes, he made some faces. Far, far less than he did previously. But ripping his heart out and leaving it on the floor every game more than compensated.

Reaction Score
Dam that looks hard. I'm about Ray's age. Saw Ray working out frequently all around the various athletic facilities. Running, stadiums, etc... At the time I didn't realize he had a compulsive disorder that manifested into a workout fanatic. Lucky us I suppose.

Reaction Score
You guys could be right about Donny's leadership statement. I just don't see it. Regardless of what Donny meant to say, it would be foolish for Donny to say such a thing without realizing it's a major shot at Boat. I don't think Donny is that dumb. Has Donny attempted to clarify his statements?

Reaction Score
I love this board. Donny says the team was lacking leaders, and some people interpret that as a shot at Boatright. It's laughably stupid. He used the plural, leaders. Here is what Ollie thinks about Boatright's leadership:

“Our captain," Ollie began, via the Hartford Courant. … The boat is not going anywhere if he’s not leading it. He’s doing a wonderful job. I’ve seen his growth over the last four years. We’re going to expect a lot from him, handling the ball. He’s going to be an extension of me. During the summer, I had him involved in [moderating] a conference call with everybody. He’s a great leader, and a great leader is a great listener, he’s listening to his teammates.”

Reaction Score
What you have provided is the filtered KO. Donny is claiming to have access to the unfiltered KO. I also think those quotes are from the beginning of the year...could be wrong about that.

Reaction Score
If you're going to parse over and read into Donny's statement so much, how about acknowledging that he didn't say we lacked "a leader" last year, he said we lacked "some leaders".....with an "s" on the end.

Last year we had one senior and two juniors. Now we have four seniors and four juniors. That's what this whole thing is about. It's not about Ryan Boatright, who Ollie praised 1,000 times for never missing a single practice in his first three years, "quitting" on his team by sitting out an NIT game in which he was injured. That is one of the more ridiculous things I've ever seen here. The kid played 36 minutes per game as the only real ball handler and the focal point of every defensive scheme - often playing through injuries, mind you - and you think his teammates and coaches were rubbed the wrong way when he finally sat out? That's absurd.

Reaction Score
I am going to be "OkaFor'd" for this one but part of the leadership issues, if there were any at all, is on KO too. The early decision to have AB as a captain is and was questionable. While raw passion for the game is a wonderful thing and he has that, the thing you need from a leader is understanding the game. He can't be hard on a teammate when and if he's wrong about something. I am not even saying this existed but it couldn't be easy for Boat to really be the only guy from a captain standpoint. AB isn't smart enough on the court, or hasn't been I shall say, to be offering advice or to even have anyone listen. Anyone who was a captain knows it's important to have everyone on board and if you don't know what you're talking about half the time or understand situations during the game no one is listening.

Boat was on his own island pretty much and hopefully no one is alone this year and leadership comes from all the experience we've acquired.

Reaction Score
No, it's not absurd. It's very possible.

I also don't see the difference between leader and leaders. Either way, Boat is a significant part of that equation. As mauuconnfan suggests, KO is also a significant part of that equation, but I doubt Donny had KO in mind when he made the statement. If Boat reads those statements he's probably offended. If Boat's family reads those statements, they are probably offended. Regardless of whether the statement reads leader or leaders.

To be honest, I'm not really sure what we are arguing, but I'd like to propose a scenario for you. You are the lead engineer on a project team of 15 other engineers. There are a few other senior level engineers on the project, but you are the most senior and the lead. After a lackluster year of missed deadlines and being over budget you run into the CEOs good friend of 20+ years. The good friend says, I frequently talk to the CEO and he thinks the project lacks leadership. If I was the lead engineer I just might see that as a criticism of me. Now as others have suggested, the problem may not actually be a leadership problem. It may actually be a engineering skills problem. Maybe the project is the electronic system for GMs new hybrid vehicle and nobody knows about engines. Regardless, the criticisms made by the CEO certainly includes the lead engineer. In fact, the CEO was probably thinking about the lead engineer when he made the statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom