Leadership this coming season | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Leadership this coming season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No, it's not absurd. It's very possible.

So it's "very possible" that the UConn family was offended by Ryan Boatright, basically the very definition of an iron man, sitting out the first and only game of his career due to an injury? If that's the case, what in the world must they think of the six scholarship players who sat out multiple games last year without having to endure anything resembling the wear and tear that Boatright endured every game?

Donny Marshall is the only person who really knows what he meant by his comment, but your theory about Boatright and the NIT game isn't anywhere close to reality.

Reaction Score
I think we're spending way too much time dissecting the comments of a guy who absolutely loves to hear himself talk. I love Donny Marshall as much as the next guy, but if Kevin Ollie openly criticized Ryan Boatright's leadership to Donny Marshall, I will eat my hat.

Reaction Score
The theory didn't just include the last game. It included not graduating. That in particular may have rubbed graduates like KO and Donny the wrong way.

And Bruce is right. Donny is a huge ham. In addition he works for the media so creating stories is his profession. It's probably bs. It's possible that Donny worded his statement the way he did just to remind people he and KO are boys. Donny is proud of Connecticut background and will take any opportunity to remind others who he is and where he's from.

Reaction Score
The theory didn't just include the last game. It included not graduating. That in particular may have rubbed graduates like KO and Donny the wrong way.

I get that it's a message board so everyone is an expert in their own mind but these posts, where someone just spins a web based on speculation and parsing offhand comments, are the absolute worst.

Reaction Score
A lot of players that go on to train for the NBA don't graduate. A lot was made about Kemba Walker graduating in three years, but, spoiler alert, he never actually graduated.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I am going to be "OkaFor'd" for this one but part of the leadership issues, if there were any at all, is on KO too. The early decision to have AB as a captain is and was questionable. While raw passion for the game is a wonderful thing and he has that, the thing you need from a leader is understanding the game. He can't be hard on a teammate when and if he's wrong about something. I am not even saying this existed but it couldn't be easy for Boat to really be the only guy from a captain standpoint. AB isn't smart enough on the court, or hasn't been I shall say, to be offering advice or to even have anyone listen. Anyone who was a captain knows it's important to have everyone on board and if you don't know what you're talking about half the time or understand situations during the game no one is listening.

Boat was on his own island pretty much and hopefully no one is alone this year and leadership comes from all the experience we've acquired.

No disrespect Mau, but who else should've gotten that captain's role? RP after not having playing a single minute for the team? Facey or Nolan?

Reaction Score
When games start I'll talk about games. Until then I'll talk about nonsense

Reaction Score
I see boneyarders are still doing that thing where they try to say who should and shouldn't be a captain despite not spending a single second around the team...

Reaction Score
I see boneyarders are still doing that thing where they try to say who should and shouldn't be a captain despite not spending a single second around the team...

Hold on my friend. I think you need to read this....

1. At a party I told Ray Allen his dunk on Otis Hill was duck**** awesome
2. I once played in a pick up game that Ray also played in. I was pretty much a non factor, but at one point Ray threw the ball right at my head and I stole it...still the highlight of my basketball career.
3. One time I told Rip Hamilton he looks like Sanford from Sanford and Son. He was walking around in bathroom slippers
4. Played Mike Leblanc in some basketball video game many times. Mike had some gaming skills
5. Smoked a joint with Khalid El-Amin (no joke)
6. Stood behind KO in a line at a convenience store
7. In 98 I told the core of the 99 championship (Khalid, Rip, Kevin Freeman) team they represented my favorite team very well. They appreciated the complement. Can't remeber exactly how I said it.
8. ....maybe some other stuff

I think I have made my point. Brimah was a fine choice

Reaction Score

2. I once played in a pick up game that Ray also played in. I was pretty much a non factor, but at one point Ray threw the ball right at my head and I stole it...still the highlight of my basketball career.
3. One time I told Rip Hamilton he looks like Sanford from Sanford and Son. He was walking around in bathroom slippers
4. Played Mike Leblanc in some basketball video game many times. Mike had some gaming skills
7. In 98 I told the core of the 99 championship (Khalid, Rip, Kevin Freeman) team they represented my favorite team very well. They appreciated the complement. Can't remeber exactly how I said it.

cool stories bro, wasn't referring to you tho

Reaction Score
No disrespect Mau, but who else should've gotten that captain's role? RP after not having playing a single minute for the team? Facey or Nolan?

Non taken. I agree who else? Nolan? Not sure. But I do know its hard for a player to look at a "captain" who doesn't know the game as well as he or understand it and reach out as a sign of respect. Did we ever see him pointing out to people where to be or anyone asking him such things? I like the kid it's not a knock, I just think KO jumped the gun because of his passion rather than thinking it out. But KO knows a heck of a lot more than I for sure.

Reaction Score
Non taken. I agree who else? Nolan? Not sure. But I do know its hard for a player to look at a "captain" who doesn't know the game as well as he or understand it and reach out as a sign of respect. Did we ever see him pointing out to people where to be or anyone asking him such things? I like the kid it's not a knock, I just think KO jumped the gun because of his passion rather than thinking it out. But KO knows a heck of a lot more than I for sure.

Which big man on last year's team "knows the game" so much better than Brimah? You think Rakim Lubin or Kentan Facey scoffed at Brimah whenever he spoke up because those guys think they know the game so much better than he does?

I think Brimah was named captain because he's a hardworking kid with an outgoing personality - and I also think Ollie used it as a way to challenge him as he took on a bigger role last year.

But the bottom line is if our offense wasn't a grease fire, we grabbed a few more rebounds, and our opponents didn't make some ill-timed corner threes, we wouldn't have so many hot takes about leadership and captain choosing.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Incidentally, this right here answers this whole debate. The fact that this team only had one guy who should have reasonably been named a captain tells you all you need to know about the overall leadership. Boat was not the problem.

Reaction Score
Which big man on last year's team "knows the game" so much better than Brimah? You think Rakim Lubin or Kentan Facey scoffed at Brimah whenever he spoke up because those guys think they know the game so much better than he does?

I think Brimah was named captain because he's a hardworking kid with an outgoing personality - and I also think Ollie used it as a way to challenge him as he took on a bigger role last year.

But the bottom line is if our offense wasn't a grease fire, we grabbed a few more rebounds, and our opponents didn't make some ill-timed corner threes, we wouldn't have so many hot takes about leadership and captain choosing.

Not sure I said any of our big men knew the game better but please point out where I did then maybe I will answer?

Reaction Score
Not sure I said any of our big men knew the game better but please point out where I did then maybe I will answer?

Wasn't that the whole point of your post? That it's hard for a player to take a captain seriously if the captain doesn't know the game as well as he does?

Reaction Score
Wasn't that the whole point of your post? That it's hard for a player to take a captain seriously if the captain doesn't know the game as well as he does?

Yes it was. But you said "which big man on last years team knows the game better than Brimah"? Why did you ask me that? That is not what I said and had nothing to do with my post whatsoever.

I guess despite not saying there was a smarter big man and not knowing why this has anything to do with captaincy or my post, I agree there wasn't a smarter big man. But that doesn't make him the best candidate to be a captain now does it? My point is he doesn't offer any help on the court and passion only leads to respect by so much. Not on him as I said, he may not be captain material. But reality is he's not telling people where they should have been on defense after an error and he's not telling people where they should be on offense. He's not barking out plays or leading in too many ways, although I will say his passion is obvious. I am only pointing out in Boats defense he didn't have much help.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes it was. But you said "which big man on last years team knows the game better than Brimah"? Why did you ask me that? That is not what I said and had nothing to do with my post whatsoever.

I guess despite not saying there was a smarter big man and not knowing why this has anything to do with captaincy or my post, I agree there wasn't a smarter big man. But that doesn't make him the best candidate to be a captain now does it? My point is he doesn't offer any help on the court and passion only leads to respect by so much. Not on him as I said, he may not be captain material. But reality is he's not telling people where they should have been on defense after an error and he's not telling people where they should be on offense. He's not barking out plays or leading in too many ways, although I will say his passion is obvious. I am only pointing out in Boats defense he didn't have much help.

Mau, if you're not in the locker room, in the huddle, or attending practice, then you don't have enough information to assess Brimah's (or anyone's) leadership abilities.

Reaction Score
Mau, if you're not in the locker room, in the huddle, or attending practice, then you don't have enough information to assess Brimah's (or anyone's) leadership abilities.

You're right purely assumption from watching games, I agree. And practices may be different I guess but games leave no proof of that. Good news is none of this means jack this year anyway. They have leadership and experience and will figure out who the go-to people are after a month or so. No one has to have a "C" on their uni to be a leader.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Incidentally, this right here answers this whole debate. The fact that this team only had one guy who should have reasonably been named a captain tells you all you need to know about the overall leadership. Boat was not the problem.

^^^^^^ This is it. This year there are several guys who could be captain. Last year Brimah was a stretch based on enthusiasm. e.g. We have more leaders this year.

If KO wanted to point at Boat, he would have said "leader" and it would have been clear. If KO meant that, he would not have wanted to put it in the press. Which would make Donny foolish and he would be removed from the unfiltered KO. Unless you think KO wants to hurt Boat, tarnish his own reputation and hurt his recruiting ability.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I think we've reached the point in the offseason where we've all lost our collective minds. Everybody take a deep breadth and step back from the keyboard and enjoy the last few weeks of summer.

Winter is coming.

Reaction Score
If one is going to parse the comment that the team was lacking leaders; then that comment is much more logically interpreted as saying Boatright needed help than it is to saying the team lacked leadership and the only person responsible for that was boatright.

Saying the "s" on the end of the word doesn't matter is essentially admitting that you have to change the quote to make your argument. He didn't say "leader", he didn't say "leadership". He said "leaders". Meaning they needed one or more additional leader on that team.

Any other argument is someone arguing because they have nothing better to do.

Reaction Score

It's like this clown wishes he was Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members