Just moved into my dorm.. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Just moved into my dorm..

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Geez, don't pressure the kid to finish in 4 years! I was homesick when my parents left me in my dorm the first day too. Then I walked to Store 24, bought a 30pack of Bud with my brother's ID, got drunk alone for the first 2 hours (pre cable TV at UConn, internet and cell phones mind you), met a floormate in the bathroom and got him and his roommate drunk too, got laid after meeting a chick at some welcome mixer at the Student Union, woke up on her dorm room floor, threw up in an empty moving box, got written up by her RA for sh^ting in the ladies room and walked back to my place in Buckley. Next thing I know, I blink and it's like my almost 6 years on campus never happened!

Give yourself a few weeks, aburks. And don't rely on the few people you already know. Force yourself to get out of your room and meet new people. Sounds silly but it's one of the first things you learn at college that will help you the rest of your life. As hard as it may seem, it's time to sack up and put yourself out there. I've got faith in you my young friend, I was exactly where you are right now in August of 88'.

I lead a pretty damn good life but still wish I was back where you are at times. Enjoy the ride, soak in and experience as much as you can.

And start slow, target the bigger chick at parties for the first few months. Not only will it help you gain confidence but it will get you in good enough shape to move down a weight class come second semester.

College.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
At the risk of going to he-ll I'll point out that upon opening the MBB forum I found a thread titled "Just moved into my dorm" followed by a thread titled "Need some weed?" :eek:

That is heaven my friend. Not hell.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Kid hasn't posted in a while. He's probably getting hammered at Hunting Lodge or something. Hopefully he finds a nice loose ratchet for the night.

Reaction Score
It's either that or he realized just how creepy a decent percentage of this board can be and he decided to that he was better off on his own.

Ima guess the former lmao

Reaction Score
I know a few others have said it, but the best advice is to leave your dorm room door open. Except when you're smoking pot.
Meh, just get some popcorn going in the microwave, you'll be good hahahaha

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Luckily i know a few people from my high school living right near me but does anyone have any tips on how to get less home sick? Ive been stressing out the past few days before my move in (im a freshman) and its really screwed up my stomach to the point where i feel like i cant even eat anything which just makes it worse. Sorry for the rant but i just feel miserable right now. I guess my question is, what can i do to make UConn feel more like home to me? I love UConn Basketball with a passion and have had season tickets my entire life, and i love to watch football soccer golf etc. Are there any good clubs to join specifically for those things?

call the get wet girls, they're tons of fun.

Reaction Score
This thread was both heartwarming and disturbing.

I wish I could remember my first year nevermind my first day. I can't blame booze and drugs for that, since I really didn't do much of either.

Meet a bunch of people from your dorm and classes, and hang out with the ones that you enjoy most. From there you'll be well on your way to having a great time.

It's really that simple. I bet most here who went to college don't remember many of the things that they did, but they remember the friends that they made.

Reaction Score
Ive been reading all of these as theyve been posted but just havent responded. I hungout with all the kids on my dorm room floor so I had a good time. Thank you everyone for the advice, it helped a lot! Go Huskies!!
One last question; where are the parties at besides the frat houses next to Towers and Celeron/Carriage?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ive been reading all of these as theyve been posted but just havent responded. I hungout with all the kids on my dorm room floor so I had a good time. Thank you everyone for the advice, it helped a lot! Go Huskies!!
One last question; where are the parties at besides the frat houses next to Towers and Celeron/Carriage?

Glad it's going well.

I could tell you where the parties are to the best of my memory, but I suspect some of them may have broken up since 1993.

Reaction Score
UConn is not the party school it once used to be. All because we won championships.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
aburks41 said:
Ive been reading all of these as theyve been posted but just havent responded. I hungout with all the kids on my dorm room floor so I had a good time. Thank you everyone for the advice, it helped a lot! Go Huskies!! One last question; where are the parties at besides the frat houses next to Towers and Celeron/Carriage?
They were in the dorms in my day (84-88). Pretty much every night of the week from Thurs to Sat. One of my favorite things about UConn was the family style meals in small dorms, which made us a bit like a family. You knew everyone within a week or two. I suspect that whole system is gone now.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Your dorm crew will be your family in no time. Clubs/groups are key too... Particularly ones with girls. I was in the school of business... Delta Sigma Pi was a co-ed frat for the school of business. Dorky? Sure. But I met some lifelong friends, parties were regular, and I probably wouldn't have gotten laid otherwise (co-Ed is a good thing). Same thing with the choir. I wasn't a music major but definitely met some chicks there too... Good times. Find the ones that suit you!

Reaction Score
Good work man, just keep it going and you'll know your whole building by the end of the month.

Party in your dorms. Make/hit up friends in other dorms and party there and meet those people. PHONE NUMBERS.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They were in the dorms in my day (84-88). Pretty much every night of the week from Thurs to Sat. One of my favorite things about UConn was the family style meals in small dorms, which made us a bit like a family. You knew everyone within a week or two. I suspect that whole system is gone now.
Yep. I was in South and while I'm sure the new dorms are nice, those 60 person communities were great and very tight knit. I love having our own cook and kitchen. I remember calling down stairs to the cook and asking for an omelet and couple pieces of toast before my 8 am class in the Math/Science building. I'd hop in shower and be out and dressed just as it ready. I'd slap the omelet between the toast, grab a cup of coffee and eat it on my way to class.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Try a club or group or interest you always wanted to do in HS but didn't because it wasn't offered, or wasn't "cool", or conflicted with your time.

It's a big state university. Any club or interest you have is there for the taking. Taking the first step and going to the first meeting is always the hardest. Soon enough you'll realize that everyone else around is consumed with their schoolwork and their activities and they don't have the time and energy to worry about your interest. Go be yourself and enjoy it.

And if that doesn't work there's always masturbation.

Reaction Score
UConn Soccer game would have been my advice ... and it gets over in 2 hours (no matter what). That leaves a lot more hours for schmoozing. And OPEN door policy is always best. I think he's less homesick today ... and not too impressed by douchey comments.

Reaction Score
formerlurker said:
Geez, don't pressure the kid to finish in 4 years! I was homesick when my parents left me in my dorm the first day too. Then I walked to Store 24, bought a 30pack of Bud with my brother's ID, got drunk alone for the first 2 hours (pre cable TV at UConn, internet and cell phones mind you), met a floormate in the bathroom and got him and his roommate drunk too, got laid after meeting a chick at some welcome mixer at the Student Union, woke up on her dorm room floor, threw up in an empty moving box, got written up by her RA for sh^ting in the ladies room and walked back to my place in Buckley. Next thing I know, I blink and it's like my almost 6 years on campus never happened! Give yourself a few weeks, aburks. And don't rely on the few people you already know. Force yourself to get out of your room and meet new people. Sounds silly but it's one of the first things you learn at college that will help you the rest of your life. As hard as it may seem, it's time to sack up and put yourself out there. I've got faith in you my young friend, I was exactly where you are right now in August of 88'. I lead a pretty damn good life but still wish I was back where you are at times. Enjoy the ride, soak in and experience as much as you can. And start slow, target the bigger chick at parties for the first few months. Not only will it help you gain confidence but it will get you in good enough shape to move down a weight class come second semester.

What years were you in Buckley. Sounds like you were part of my crew. ;)

Reaction Score
I'd love to have and sponsor a boneyard reunion bash at uconn some day. I know I'm getting old when the first thing I think of is liability.

Absolutely ... and now that we can do it at Geno's instead of the 7-11, the Wine will be a better vintage.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Carriage or Red House are usually pretty solid. Celeron or dorm room stuff is alright as well. Just don't go to Willimantic.

Reaction Score
By August 2016 - this is what Carriage House will look like.
E0B3434A-ED81-40F9-90DF-B65D9EE60900.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 72

Curiouser
Reaction Score
By August 2016 - this is what Carriage House will look like.
E0B3434A-ED81-40F9-90DF-B65D9EE60900.jpg
And by September 2016 this is what it will look like:

2012_08-12_project-x-hit-and-home-run_4.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members