Just moved into my dorm.. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Just moved into my dorm..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Luckily i know a few people from my high school living right near me but does anyone have any tips on how to get less home sick? Ive been stressing out the past few days before my move in (im a freshman) and its really screwed up my stomach to the point where i feel like i cant even eat anything which just makes it worse. Sorry for the rant but i just feel miserable right now. I guess my question is, what can i do to make UConn feel more like home to me? I love UConn Basketball with a passion and have had season tickets my entire life, and i love to watch football soccer golf etc. Are there any good clubs to join specifically for those things?
I'm allegedly a junior at UConn, so if you ever want to talk or something just inbox me maybe we can exchange numbers. I grew up a big fan of everything UConn too and I was homesick as well my first weekend. It gets better, a lot better. And even though I love everything about this I still had that same feeling in my stomach this morning too. My best advice to you is to leave your door open whenever you're in your room. You'll feel connected to the rest of the dorm and a simple hello to anybody walking by and even introduce yourself will have you three quarters of the way to being their friend.

Do all the Husky WOW stuff. Don't be afraid to talk in discussions and smaller classes. UConn has a sports business club, which sounds like something you might like. And there is an intramural for everything. Play some hoops at the gym as well, it's another way to meet people and maybe make some friends.

I still hang out with friends who I went to high school with and that also go to UConn. But make new friends. And don't be afraid to mix your old friends with new ones because chances are they'll become friends too.

Everybody will be nervous, they will be shy too. It's a big transition. Just be yourself, and buy something really weird. I have a massive fish pillow and a Chewbacca backpack, and I know people are always commenting on these things, great way to strike up conversations.

Last edited:

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Get a deck of cards and keep them with you. Learn Spades (Hearts), Setback (Pitch), various forms of poker, etc. People love to sit and chill, and it doesn't always have to be with a video game.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Hook up with the hottest girl who lives on the floor above or below you. You won't feel homesick anymore.

Sure, but what's he going to do on day two?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Also, if you can write at all or use a camera, check out The Daily Campus. You'll work long hours for little/no pay in a dying industry, but the camaraderie was amazing. The best friends I made in college were the ones I worked with at the DC.

And I also got to travel the country covering men's basketball & soccer (including national championships in 1999 & 2000), tho that's something you won't have a chance at til junior year at the very earliest.

Reaction Score
Luckily i know a few people from my high school living right near me but does anyone have any tips on how to get less home sick? Ive been stressing out the past few days before my move in (im a freshman) and its really screwed up my stomach to the point where i feel like i cant even eat anything which just makes it worse. Sorry for the rant but i just feel miserable right now. I guess my question is, what can i do to make UConn feel more like home to me? I love UConn Basketball with a passion and have had season tickets my entire life, and i love to watch football soccer golf etc. Are there any good clubs to join specifically for those things?

Didn't read the whole thread so this may have been said...

I moved down from MA knowing 1 other person on campus and not seeing her but once in five years. I'd suggest finding things you like to do and jumping in. I loved to play basketball, living in Towers, we had courts right outside and I went out early and started shooting, people showed up. Other days, when I saw people playing pick up, I could see the courts from my room in Morgan, I went over. Within a week, I had a good network of friends. If you have a work study or student labor position, get that straightened out and meet people there.

Reaction Score

It was a while ago for me but I clearly remember my first day on campus I just walked outside my dorm and joined in a group of people playing hackeysack of all things. That and as someone else said - leave your door open and just talk to everyone and anyone.

The funny thing is.....when you are all done with your time there you will always wish you could go BACK!!! I graduated 20+ years ago and still miss being a student there - ENJOY!!!

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
A couple weeks from now you'll be letting calls from home go to voicemail because you're on your way out to be with your friends.

Good luck, and enjoy the next four years.

Geez, don't pressure the kid to finish in 4 years! I was homesick when my parents left me in my dorm the first day too. Then I walked to Store 24, bought a 30pack of Bud with my brother's ID, got drunk alone for the first 2 hours (pre cable TV at UConn, internet and cell phones mind you), met a floormate in the bathroom and got him and his roommate drunk too, got laid after meeting a chick at some welcome mixer at the Student Union, woke up on her dorm room floor, threw up in an empty moving box, got written up by her RA for sh^ting in the ladies room and walked back to my place in Buckley. Next thing I know, I blink and it's like my almost 6 years on campus never happened!

Give yourself a few weeks, aburks. And don't rely on the few people you already know. Force yourself to get out of your room and meet new people. Sounds silly but it's one of the first things you learn at college that will help you the rest of your life. As hard as it may seem, it's time to sack up and put yourself out there. I've got faith in you my young friend, I was exactly where you are right now in August of 88'.

I lead a pretty damn good life but still wish I was back where you are at times. Enjoy the ride, soak in and experience as much as you can.

And start slow, target the bigger chick at parties for the first few months. Not only will it help you gain confidence but it will get you in good enough shape to move down a weight class come second semester.

Reaction Score
hey big strum: you are addressing a coed frosh; this thread has been imported from the womens hoop board; maybe an apology is in order over on the womens board? this thread now appears simultaneously on both hoop boards, a FIRST

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wow. Reading this thread is an eye-opener, and I have no doubt that my post is going to come across as _________.
Fill in any word that means "douchey," "@55holish," whatever.

Dude. You've been on campus "a few days" and you're already home sick?

What the hell. Did you live your first 18 years in a closet breastfeeding? How much of a mama's boy do you need to be to feel homesick in a matter of a few days? What the hell.

Seriously, I found the first few weeks of school to be pretty GD awesome, and I hated school, and studying, and work, and wasn't particularly social. I didn't need to find solace in booze, or new friends, or clubs, or fraternities, and so on.

How about just the wonder of being in a new place? Seeing things you haven't seen? Meeting people you don't know. Starting on a new adventure. Pursuing a degree, or career. Having hot, unknown chicks all around you, with straight teeth and tight _____s.

What the hell was so great about your hometown? Was your mother's pasta sauce that great? Did you leave a girlfriend behind?

What the hell.

The only thing I didn't like about being out of the house and on my own was the food - which was G-d awful. I never realized how good of a cook my mom was until that 1st day on campus when by dormmates were pounding the food and expressing their joy at how great it was, and I kept thinking, "oh G-d, this is what I'll be eating for 4 years?"

Good luck. My advice is to reinvent yourself right now. If, in fact, this thread is representative of your peers, then you've got an opportunity to be one of the few guys who comes in confident and not "homesick." Project confidence. Leads to much p-----y.
A typical Stummer post: 1 part douchy, 1 part @ssholish, 1 part insightful.

Reaction Score
So to sum up the lessons here aburks,

1) You don't have to feel like there's anything wrong. Many people go through anxiety at the start of college. Or before any significant life change. Cold feet before weddings, etc.

2) There are lots of ways to meet people in college. Just be patient.

3) if you ask for advice on an internet message board, the maturity of the response will be in almost inverse proportion to the page number it is posted on. In a four page thread, Page 1 will contain good advice and Page 4 will probably be a discussion about either penises or Hitler.

Happy college!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Eat together. Play video games. Stay up real late and just talk about stuff.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I've left the area for college, but I've lived in Storrs my whole life and spent a hell of a lot of time on/near campus growing up. Most of what everyone else has said rings true; simply being open to meeting people and being social will go a long way for you. Also, athletics is a great way to get to know people. As someone who didn't end up at a state school, the camaraderie that rooting on a school can bring is something I miss already. Find people who like going to games or watching them on TV -- these people won't care who you are or where you come from as long as you bleed Husky blue.

Reaction Score
I would add, don't over-extend yourself. One of the most important lessons you can learn is time management. No matter where you go beyond college, if you can learn how to budget your time, your life will be 1000x easier.

If they still offer "FYE" first year experience classes, take one. It's an easy 1 credit course and they teach you how to find your socks and such things. The facilitator in our class was great and our class actually became very close. I helped with the class as a mentor the next year (and met my future wife). Definitely worth it.

Reaction Score
Shut up and enjoy it. We're all jealous!

Seriously though...you'll figure it out man. Everyone goes through it. Get off the boneyard make some friends and give us an update in a month or so. Enjoy every second.

Reaction Score
Watch out for the predatory loans and credit cards.

Credit cards are a lot harder to get now for 18 year olds. You have to prove you are able to pay it back. Not like when I was a freshman and got two credit cards when I told them my income was zero.

I know a few others have said it, but the best advice is to leave your dorm room door open. Except when you're smoking pot.

Reaction Score
Credit cards are a lot harder to get now for 18 year olds. You have to prove you are able to pay it back. Not like when I was a freshman and got two credit cards when I told them my income was zero.

I know a few others have said it, but the best advice is to leave your dorm room door open. Except when you're smoking pot.

Or spanking the monkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog