Just moved into my dorm.. | The Boneyard

Just moved into my dorm..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Luckily i know a few people from my high school living right near me but does anyone have any tips on how to get less home sick? Ive been stressing out the past few days before my move in (im a freshman) and its really screwed up my stomach to the point where i feel like i cant even eat anything which just makes it worse. Sorry for the rant but i just feel miserable right now. I guess my question is, what can i do to make UConn feel more like home to me? I love UConn Basketball with a passion and have had season tickets my entire life, and i love to watch football soccer golf etc. Are there any good clubs to join specifically for those things?

Reaction Score
I just graduated from UConn a few years ago and here are a few tips for you for first few weeks:

- Talk to the people on your floor, EVERYONE is feeling the same way right now; homesick, nervous, and unsure of themselves. Just open up your door and start chatting, ask people what they are doing for lunch/dinner today.
- As far as sports go, get involved with the Men's Soccer team and the Goal Patrol! It's the student section for men's soccer and is considered one of the best in the country. The team is usually ranked pretty highly and the games are always fun. Goal patrol usually meets about 1 hour before the game starts at Gampel (at least they did a few years ago) and walk over together. Tickets are usually free or cost about $2. There's a game tonight against Boston College, go check it out!
- Get to know the campus! Just spend an afternoon wandering around, it may take a couple weeks, but once you find your way around and find "your spot" (where you study, hang out between classes, grab a cup of coffee, etc.), you will feel much more at home.

and, most importantly, HAVE FUN! Those 4 years are going to pass so quickly, enjoy it, and relax. Everyone is feeling unsure of themselves and nervous, but you will have a GREAT time there.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I remember freshmen weekend, the guys on my floor all grabbed a mug and walked around campus hitting various keg parties. I doubt that option still exists. If you've been a season ticket holder, you should be a little familiar with the campus and from CT, correct? There should be a lot of people around like you. If you know anyone from your high school on campus, look them up, check out their dorm, etc. as a way to get started. There always used to be a home soccer game before classes started, that's another way to get out there and enjoy the experience.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I also suggest working out to raise your endorphins, thay will make you happy. and, I like the suggestion about joining that soccer club, and football season is opening up next week so there's a lot going on! this too shall pass and you'll be fine. you'll be fine!!

Reaction Score
Get involved ! College campuses have many organizations and activities, intramural sports, etc. My son went far away to college where he knew no one, but by checking out organizations and activities he quickly made connections with students with similar interests. Go to all the freshman get acquainted activities. Talk to as many people on your floor and in your dorm as you can. As others have said, there are lots of others going through the exact same thing.

It gets easier. Though expect to feel the homesick blues during times of stress in the first semester... like midterms. Faster than you think your college and friends you make there will feel more like home than home.

Hang in there... And remember your RA or whatever they are called nowadays is there to help with your adjustment.

Reaction Score
Luckily i know a few people from my high school living right near me but does anyone have any tips on how to get less home sick?
Gotta make friends with the guys on your floor. Eat with the girls above/below you. There is so much social stuff going on all the time at UConn, even beyond drinking 3+ nights a week, you can keep yourself more than distracted. You just have to put in that effort.

Jim

Reaction Score
What you are feeling is normal for a freshman. As others have suggested, start talking to people around you and you will discover that others are feeling the same way. If you get sick of doing the "Hi, what's your major? Where are you from?" routine, you could try the technique my wife uses:

I was always a bit of an introvert and had a hard time starting up a conversation until I noticed how my wife (who seemed to talk to the world) did it. To no one in particular, she would simply speak out loud what was on her mind. Often enough other people around her (usually strangers) would agree, disagree, or otherwise respond to her comments. Once the ice had been broken conversations would ensue.

Now mind you this wasn't always in MY best interests. I remember one summer we were driving with the windows open and had to stop at a light. Along side of us pull up a group of Hell's Angels. There was one big, burly guy without a helmet showing his balding top but otherwise shoulder length hair. And my wife blurts out "Some men just shouldn't wear pony tails!" Fortunately the light changed before the conversation could get really started.

Reaction Score
N.B.

from grad of 42 years ago

the exams will spin your noggin; be prepared (example: chem in h.s. will now seem like see jane peer thru test tube & smile compared to UCONN chem)
go to fieldhouse to play racket ball in chamber to relax
go to fieldhouse to play intramural ball
your allies in jungle will be your lunch and card and chess playing buds
if you are a serious performer: take the UCONN speed reading class for zero credit and take it now!

if you don't you're not gonna like it (example: history 110 will cause you to enlist for deployment once you see syllabus)

have your career objective tout suite! don't be the dudette who goes 3-4 semesters listing your major as to be determined; if this is the case clg is not for you

study your field; not what your parents believe to be best for you; if it is really your purview you will thrive from day 1 because it is entertaining for you and not a grind /I hope you are not like me because the only reason I attended was to watch UCONN mens hoops. Peace

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was so excited to go UConn as a freshman that I went up on the earliest day, set up my room and waited for inevitable parties. The only problem was pretty much everyone else set up their rooms and left. So there I was in an empty dorm with nothing do. It was miserable. It was the only day at UConn that I ever felt lonely. Every day after that was great!

So take the advice from the posts above find an excuse to go out meet people. I promise you it will work out. You are about to start on adventure that may well turn out to be the best four years of your life. Go out and talk to people and get started on it. It will be great. (Oh and maybe take a little trip to dairy bar and get a little something to settle that nervous stomach.)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
N.B.

from grad of 42 years ago

the exams will spin your noggin; be prepared (example: chem in h.s. will now seem like see jane peer thru test tube & smile compared to UCONN chem)
go to fieldhouse to play racket ball in chamber to relax
go to fieldhouse to play intramural ball
your allies in jungle will be your lunch and card and chess playing buds
if you are a serious performer: take the UCONN speed reading class for zero credit and take it now!

if you don't you're not gonna like it (example: history 110 will cause you to enlist for deployment once you see syllabus)

have your career objective tout suite! don't be the dudette who goes 3-4 semesters listing your major as to be determined; if this is the case clg is not for you

study your field; not what your parents believe to be best for you; if it is really your purview you will thrive from day 1 because it is entertaining for you and not a grind /I hope you are not like me because the only reason I attended was to watch UCONN mens hoops. Peace
Is it me, or is Chappy becoming cogent?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The more you invest in the present and the people and opportunities around you the less the desire to be elsewhere including home. A bunch of great advice in the thread.
Get out of the room and get busy. Blessings on your new adventure.

Reaction Score
I never felt home sick in the least. I couldn't wait to get out and explore the campus. I was figuring out where everything was. I could set up my room how I wanted it. I was meeting new people and learning about them. I was getting ready for classes.

I just never understood people hiding in their rooms and wishing they were home. That never seemed to make anything better.

Reaction Score
There is some really great advice throughout this thread, aburks41; following it will help you a lot. (especially about going to the soccer games -- go, even if you don't like soccer or don't follow the team!)

I was just as scared as you're feeling when I was a freshman about to move to UConn. And that was despite knowing that my family lived only 15 minutes away, in Tolland! :confused: Being shy and introverted didn't help me, either. But it didn't take long for me to see for myself that many of the other freshman kids on my floor felt the same way as I did. We just naturally banded together. Hilarity on a truly epic scale followed shortly thereafter! :cool:

Best of luck, learn lots, and have fun!!

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I never felt home sick in the least. I couldn't wait to get out and explore the campus. I was figuring out where everything was. I could set up my room how I wanted it. I was meeting new people and learning about them. I was getting ready for classes.

I just never understood people hiding in their rooms and wishing they were home. That never seemed to make anything better.

Empathy is not a strength of yours.

Reaction Score
For me, homesick lasted pretty much the first semester. When I went home over break, I realized home had changed and that I belonged back on campus. It was the same every time I moved tough the intensity of the feeling lessened.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
I think I went home that first 3 day weekend my freshman year and never left again for another weekend after that. Too much fun. Like someone said above it will fly by, enjoy it.

Reaction Score
Bought football season tickets yet? Here's something related to invite a few floor mates to participate in ...

https://twitter.com/uconnfootball/status/503231617771376640

Got a bike, or 2 feet? Go bike, walk, or run out to Horsebarn Hill, sprint up Cemetary hill, or other places just off campus.

Like people? Get out of the dorm, go check 'em out, bs with a few, even go to the Coop, student union, new UCONN Center, check out an afternoon informal hoops practice at Gampel or sneak in the new hoops center, etc.

You'll be busy, and fine in no time. Enjoy the opportunity to chill out for a few days, then 4 or so of the best years of your life!

Reaction Score
Wow! I wish I had all this great advice when I started college. I agree with everything said and especially like the 'take a walk' suggestion. And maybe invite others. Most people are anxious at first just to figure out how to get from one class to the next. Another thing to do may be to ask for a first year class syllabus so you know what to expect. Everything will be spelled out to you the first year.

Second, don't forget that the university is expecting you to feel this way.... because it is normal. Look around you. This is the most exciting time of year for faculty and staff. They work at UConn because they love students. People will be thrilled to help you meet new people.

After four years of study groups and team projects, you will laugh when you think back to this.

Reaction Score

That's very helpful.

Reaction Score
The nice thing is that everything in college has a built in social aspect to it, so you don't have to feel pressure to meet people. You don't have to be a wild party type to develop a social life if that's not your thing. Every class is the chance to talk to the students around you - every trip to the Co-Op or library you'll meet your peers. Every game you attend is a chance to talk about the team with whoever is in your section. You can often pick out fellow freshmen, who are walking around lost and checking maps or looking unsure of themselves and maybe strike up a conversation about how hard it is to find your way around a big campus. If you find yourself still a bit uncomfortable after a little time, you can join clubs that meet specific interests of yours, play a club or intramural sport if theres one you like (or just pickup hoops), organize a late night pizza delivery for people in your dorm - and you can also feel reassured that as you pick your specific field of study, you'll naturally meet others with the same interests. In the meantime, some other freshmen on your floor or in your dorm likely have the same morning class you do and you can walk over together and talk about the class or be study partners. The key is to not feel like there's anything wrong about being homesick or that you're the only one struggling to feel at home in the first few weeks in college. It's natural. Just keep your eyes and ears open and think of every walk to class or to a meal as a chance to make new friends or make the place feel a little more like yours. And as you make new friends, you can make friends with their friends.

I've known of a couple people who bailed on college to return home in their first semester, and almost universally what they found is that home wasn't what it once was. High school is over, friends have moved on to college or have jobs, and there is absolutely nothing to do during the day if you don't find a menial job of your own. They sort of find that the world moves on without them, even if they weren't ready.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99