January Recruiting Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

January Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
a PG who shoots well as she does, has got to be better on free throws, especially if teams are fouling in the last minute of a game where we are up 5 or less. Hopefully no such games will arise, we win all by over 15. But that could get boring. Boring is good.
I think we may be talking more scorer than shooter in KK's case. As a pure spot up shooter, I suspect she will be ok but nothing special. The ability to lose defenders and take it to the basket and score or dish, however, does appear to be very elite, and she will have shooters to create for.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree. Watched her against Qadance in a game (granted it was only 1 game) - and Fournier was head and shoulders better in every way. Higher motor, better mover, better BBIQ, more intense, more active, more skilled. AND she is a year younger. She reminded me of a more athletic Stewie, but obviously nowhere near the polish Stewie had.

I would be thrilled if she chose UCONN.
We shall see. Things are much harder at the next level. Least you didn’t disagree.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Strong said it’s been a while since she unofficially visited NC State, but said she’s due. She has watched the Wolfpack play on television this season.

“I want to see the nearby schools and places I haven’t been to.

“Of course, I want to see NC State and UNC. I also might like to see LSU and UConn. I try and picture myself where I’d help a team at different places.”

Her father, former NC State player Danny Strong, said the the Wolfpack, Duke, UNC, UConn, LSU, Clemson, UCLA, Arizona and South Carolina, have all prioritized her. The Gamecocks have watched her in three games this season, with coach Dawn Staley make one of the trips.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Meet 20 freshman high school girls basketball stars excelling on the court in 2022-23

Rieyan Desouze, DeSoto (Texas)

The floor general on DeSoto's talent-laden freshman-heavy squad, and is already proving herself against some of the nation's top teams. DeSouze is the unflappable point guard and already a big bucket-getter. She scored a game-winning layup in an overtime win over Mansfield Legacy on Friday.

Kate Harpring, Marist School (Georgia)

Scored 25 points in her high school debut, and that was just the start for what looks to be a promising future for the 5-foot-9 guard.

Jordyn Jackson, Sidwell Friends (D.C.)

When the Quakers turn to Jackson in big moments, she delivers. Went for 14 points in a showdown with Duncanville (Texas), and was an immediate plug-and-play as a ninth grader for SBLive's preseason No. 1 team in the country. The 6-foot-1 guard is a top prospect in the class of 2026.

Jenica Lewis, Johnston (Iowa)

She's an ankle-breaker. A problem. And one of the top prospects in the country before her freshman season started as backed it up, and then some, making an immediate impact as a ninth grader to help Johnston out to a 12-0 start. Against Ankeny Centennial, she had 15 points and five steals.

Isabella (Bella) Ragone, Mill Creek (Georgia)

The sharp-shooting lefty was able to assume the mantle of leading scorer right away for Mill Creek. At 6-foot-1, the guard is a consistent 20-point scorer (has gone for 27 and 28 this season).

Olivia Vukosa, Christ the King (New York)

She goes by the "Big O," and is already stacking high-major offers as a ninth grader. Michigan, North Carolina, Louisville, Arizona and Ohio State are among the early blue bloods vying for the talents of the 6-foot-4 post — she's versatile down low, can face up and play with her back to the basket and is an elite rim-protector.

Reaction Score
I think we may be talking more scorer than shooter in KK's case. As a pure spot up shooter, I suspect she will be ok but nothing special. The ability to lose defenders and take it to the basket and score or dish, however, does appear to be very elite, and she will have shooters to create for.
Curious why you feel she is not a "shooter?" A "scorer" can also take it to the basket as most current UConn players have shown.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Like this kid but I think she goes the softball route. I believe she has a UConn offer (basketball) @Sluconn Husky is that true?

I'm not aware of an offer to Heckel. Doesn't mean there isn't one, but I have not heard of any.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Geno did mention he was recruiting a softball player.

Sure, but that was never confirmed as Heckel. He also claimed that player as, in his opinion, likely the best player in the nation. That does not seem to fit Heckel, or anyone really.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nine girls from Indiana were nominated, including two from top-ranked South Bend Washington.

Here is the list: Bailey Kelham (Garrett), McKenna Layden (Northwestern), Ashlynn Shade (La Lumiere), Nevaeh Foster (Marian), Ashlynn Brooke(Pioneer), Rashunda Jones (South Bend Washington), Amiyah Reynolds(South Bend Washington), Josie Trabel (East Central) and Laila Hull(Zionsville)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Forgot to put Jasmine Davidson as another POI that's on this list.
Sloconn, I, we on the BY who live by our POI's and recruits owe you so much. You keep the important young ladies' names and stories out there for us. Which leads us to discussions and debate on who we feel best fits the needs of our favorite team. Not to slight the other insightful posters who add to our recruiting thread, with additional info and important posts. I have missed posts from CocoHuskey on this thread and others, I hope he is OK.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Sloconn, I, we on the BY who live by our POI's and recruits owe you so much. You keep the important young ladies' names and stories out there for us. Which leads us to discussions and debate on who we feel best fits the needs of our favorite team. Not to slight the other insightful posters who add to our recruiting thread, with additional info and important posts. I have missed posts from CocoHuskey on this thread and others, I hope he is OK.

Thanks, and I agree about CocoHusky.

Reaction Score
Curious why you feel she is not a "shooter?" A "scorer" can also take it to the basket as most current UConn players have shown.
I believe Husky Nan posted career shooting numbers for her of low 30's for 3 pointers and around 70% for free throws. This year has been substantially better from beyond the arc which is encouraging, but those are not the numbers of a good shooter, particularly for a player her size. I did, however, say I thought she was elite at creating and taking it to the basket.

Some players are great shooters but actually score at a relatively low volume because they can't create off the dribble, take it to the hole, or pull up for mid-range jumpers. Other players can score at a high clip without being a very good shooter, but they can get their shot with relative ease with quickness, size, leaping ability, or moves that help them get just enough space to get their shot off.

I believe KK is far more the later, but she may improve her shooting with time, and at Uconn she can be a little more selective in her shot selection since we have plenty of other shooters and scorers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom