January Recruiting Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

January Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Are you talking about Jana? Her steal and break away basket in the opening seconds sure looks like it involved some effort and energy. She outran everyone the length of the court. She ends up with 38 pts and 13 rebounds and plays 33 minutes, triple teamed every time she puts a toe in the paint. I don't think effort is her weakness.

Interestingly, she's listed as Jana Ehab in the box score -- that's her dad's name, Ehab.

Maya Said, #13 on the opposing team, looks pretty good, too.
I agree--her energy and activity were just fine, her team's offense was basically one-on-one so sometimes there was a lot of standing around.... It is interesting that Jana played a lot on the perimeter, esp. in the 2nd half--I know that before her growth spurt, Jana played at the guard position, and it shows because she handles the ball very well. Her first step to the basket is just outstanding and she has very quick feet and is very fluid.
I know it was a pretty raw game, but without a doubt, Jana has great potential and possesses a very rare skill set for a post player!

Reaction Score
I agree--her energy and activity were just fine, her team's offense was basically one-on-one so sometimes there was a lot of standing around.... It is interesting that Jana played a lot on the perimeter, esp. in the 2nd half--I know that before her growth spurt, Jana played at the guard position, and it shows because she handles the ball very well. Her first step to the basket is just outstanding and she has very quick feet and is very fluid.
I know it was a pretty raw game, but without a doubt, Jana has great potential and possesses a very rare skill set for a post player!
It was a very different game in the first and second half. In the first she played like a post and her teammates seemed particularly weak getting her the ball down low. In the second half she played like a face up 4 getting the ball behind the three point line, putting up some threes but more impressive was her mobility and handles driving to the basket and creating on her own.

There are times I think she was a little slow getting up the court, and when the ball is not near her on defense she doesn't appear ready all the time, but for a big she did play quite a few minutes. At Uconn she will be expected to all out all the time and probably won't need to worry as much about pacing herself for major minutes or be as concerned with foul trouble, at least until her role is a major one. Like many talented bigs that have a size and athletic advantage over most of their competition she doesn't always box our as much as she should, but those things are fixable.

On the impressive side she can take the ball coast to coast and finish extremely well for a big. Her handle is guard like, she shows pretty good court vision, apparently is at least a possible or decent three point threat, and can take people off the dribble from out there. I think the rebounding will be good, the versatility as a big as well capable of playing inside or outside. I'm not too sure about her shot blocking yet, may be pretty average at that, but overall there are quite a few tools to work with.

The biggest challenge might be the level of competition she has faced. I was not impressed with the other players.

Reaction Score
It was a very different game in the first and second half. In the first she played like a post and her teammates seemed particularly weak getting her the ball down low. In the second half she played like a face up 4 getting the ball behind the three point line, putting up some threes but more impressive was her mobility and handles driving to the basket and creating on her own.

There are times I think she was a little slow getting up the court, and when the ball is not near her on defense she doesn't appear ready all the time, but for a big she did play quite a few minutes. At Uconn she will be expected to all out all the time and probably won't need to worry as much about pacing herself for major minutes or be as concerned with foul trouble, at least until her role is a major one. Like many talented bigs that have a size and athletic advantage over most of their competition she doesn't always box our as much as she should, but those things are fixable.

On the impressive side she can take the ball coast to coast and finish extremely well for a big. Her handle is guard like, she shows pretty good court vision, apparently is at least a possible or decent three point threat, and can take people off the dribble from out there. I think the rebounding will be good, the versatility as a big as well capable of playing inside or outside. I'm not too sure about her shot blocking yet, may be pretty average at that, but overall there are quite a few tools to work with.

The biggest challenge might be the level of competition she has faced. I was not impressed with the other players.
Good analysis. I noticed the same difference between the first and second half. She seems more effective (maybe more comfortable) as a face-up player than a post. Her Dad said something like this in an interview recently. This is a little reminiscent of Stewie's game. She also has long arms like Stewie. And you're right about how ready (or unready) she seemed at moments. I agree that this may be about conserving energy in a game where she plays a lot of minutes with quite uneven teammates. Also, her boxing out was not as consistent as Geno will want to see, as you said.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I suggest you start a thread about Jana and move the conversation out of the recruiting thread.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
From Germantown - 2022-23 Regular Season - Roster - #1 - Kamorea "KK" Arnold - G

KK’s stats for the 13 games played so far this season:
FG% - 45.1% (115-255)
3 point FG% - 40.5% (39-96)
Free throws- 69.7% (46-66)
Scoring average 24.2 points per game

Career averages, 95 games:
FG% - 50.1% (782-1562)
3 point FG% - 32.5% (131-403)
Free throws - 69.6% (403-579)
Scoring average - 22.1 ppg

Reaction Score
Gonna be nice to have a really fast, ankle-breaking point guard for the next four years! Opposing coaches are going to be talking to themselves after scouting us. Next year’s (and the next, and the next…) team is so good on paper that it’s difficult to even imagine its potential! But, I’m trying!

Reaction Score
I’m not sure if she has been brought up here but Raina Tomasicka a 5’11 guard from Latvia is followed by and is now also following Coach Valley. She’s 18 it appears so I’m thinking she would come next year if she commits.
Ordinarily I’d say she’d be a great get. She’s a highly talented CG who, if she’s in the 2024 class, would be IMO one of the top 3-4 available. But with the group of guards UConn has coming in the next two classes along with the possibility of Bueckers using her extra year, I just don’t know if there’s room at the inn. I’m all for positional competition but I don’t know how many kids who have a lot of options are.

Reaction Score

This caught me by surprise when I saw the Tweet. Fournier's shooting stats were 4/17, 4/16 (2PT) and 0/1 (3PT). Still earned a double double with 10 points and 16 rebounds.

A horrible shooting performance for the team overall however I'm perplexed as to how Crestwood team lost by this margin to a team that isn't as competitive as they are.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Ordinarily I’d say she’d be a great get. She’s a highly talented CG who, if she’s in the 2024 class, would be IMO one of the top 3-4 available. But with the group of guards UConn has coming in the next two classes along with the possibility of Bueckers using her extra year, I just don’t know if there’s room at the inn. I’m all for positional competition but I don’t know how many kids who have a lot of options are.
Agreed..............sooooo much talent at the guard position next year..............maybe she could play some on the wing

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Fournier is NOT underrated. She is what she is. Dunking does not a basketball player make. Look at Fran Belibi. Fournier needs lots of work and may get there someday.
Not sure I agree. Watched her against Qadance in a game (granted it was only 1 game) - and Fournier was head and shoulders better in every way. Higher motor, better mover, better BBIQ, more intense, more active, more skilled. AND she is a year younger. She reminded me of a more athletic Stewie, but obviously nowhere near the polish Stewie had.

I would be thrilled if she chose UCONN.

Reaction Score
From Germantown - 2022-23 Regular Season - Roster - #1 - Kamorea "KK" Arnold - G

FG% - 45.1% (115-255)

FG% - 50.1% (782-1562)
As a PG, will want to get her free throw percentage up some more, but plenty of time to get there

Reaction Score

FG% - 45.1% (115-255)

FG% - 50.1% (782-1562)
a PG who shoots well as she does, has got to be better on free throws, especially if teams are fouling in the last minute of a game where we are up 5 or less. Hopefully no such games will arise, we win all by over 15. But that could get boring. Boring is good.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree. Watched her against Qadance in a game (granted it was only 1 game) - and Fournier was head and shoulders better in every way. Higher motor, better mover, better BBIQ, more intense, more active, more skilled. AND she is a year younger. She reminded me of a more athletic Stewie, but obviously nowhere near the polish Stewie had.

I would be thrilled if she chose UCONN.

I have to challenge some of these points. Been watching her before she joined Crestwood. I agree with the polish comment, but she's weak when it comes to outside the key, primarily shooting.

I'm still perplexed as to why her outside shooting hasn't improved over the years considering Crestwood's record with developing outside shooters like Day-Wilson, Demeke and Lattimore. Even Philip Kyei of Oregon has a better outside shot and she trained at Crestwood for one season.

Defensively, she relies on her arm length more than her feet more than she should. You won't see her take charges or try to beat her man to the spot, when she has the ability to do so. She can also get outmuscled by players smaller than her. Again, that shouldn't be happening when she's getting the training she does with Crestwood and Canada Basketball, which included time with the Women's National team the last couple years.

Tons of upside, but if she chooses Crestwood it could be a Mir McClean situation where fans need to be patient. No different than ND fans and Prosper right now, and Prosper has a much more rounded game in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom