January Recruiting Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

January Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1/3

2025 Bella Hines: 23 points, 10 rebounds
I really like this kid. She's got a serious offensive game and is a pure shooter. Curious about her D since we can't see that in highlight videos.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Extended highlights from Allie Ziebell & Neenah's New Year's Eve game:

I watched about 7 minutes of this highlight reel, and my guess based on that is that Allie is a good shooter and has some size, but that she has some physical conditioning work to do. I suspect she is a bit slow on defense, although of course the highlights don't show her on defense.

I would compare her to KML more than Azzi, but possibly with a higher ceiling than KML.

Reaction Score
I watched about 7 minutes of this highlight reel, and my guess based on that is that Allie is a good shooter and has some size, but that she has some physical conditioning work to do. I suspect she is a bit slow on defense, although of course the highlights don't show her on defense.

I would compare her to KML more than Azzi, but possibly with a higher ceiling than KML.
AZ actually looks in better shape than in earlier videos I've seen of her.........she also looks taller but what do I know......her handle looks improved, and she's got a quick release on that very accurate outside shot.........I think she's going to be special.......

Reaction Score

I'm not concerned about her conditioning or her potential to play good defense. It's actually difficult for high level kids to play the slow pace of HS games. Here's a better look at her playing against some of the best AAU competition in the country with Auriemma there to see her. BTW, #3 in 2024- Justice Carleton and #3 in 2025 Aliyah Chavez were playing for Cy Fair TX. in this game. Auriemma offered Ziebell shortly after this tournament.

Reaction Score

Her coach has said in an interview that when she first came to their team, she was not a strong defender but that she had made a determined effort to become a better defensive player and had improved to the point where she now guards the opposing team’s best player!
I don’t really know, obviously, but it does seem to me that defensive ability is about far more than one or two attributes such as foot speed, quickness etc. Clearly, those things help, but they are not imperative in order to be a good defender. Intelligence, anticipation, basketball IQ, film study, positioning can help to make up for other deficiencies as well. Perhaps she is not, and never will be, the best one on one, inside their jersey, stuck like glue defender but that does not have to mean she is not an effective one.
You may well be right that she is more KML than Azzi but I think we will be very happy with what she brings to this team. She is for sure an elite shooter and like Azzi, Paige, KML, KLS, will make the game easier for the rest of the team because of that. Remember, she is still two seasons away from her UConn debut and I would bet she will be better in all aspects of the game by the time she arrives here! I am super high on her and am pretty confident she is going to light it up when she gets here! I believe Geno is going to love her!

Reaction Score
Her coach has said in an interview that when she first came to their team, she was not a strong defender but that she had made a determined effort to become a better defensive player and had improved to the point where she now guards the opposing team’s best player!
I don’t really know, obviously, but it does seem to me that defensive ability is about far more than one or two attributes such as foot speed, quickness etc. Clearly, those things help, but they are not imperative in order to be a good defender. Intelligence, anticipation, basketball IQ, film study, positioning can help to make up for other deficiencies as well. Perhaps she is not, and never will be, the best one on one, inside their jersey, stuck like glue defender but that does not have to mean she is not an effective one.
You may well be right that she is more KML than Azzi but I think we will be very happy with what she brings to this team. She is for sure an elite shooter and like Azzi, Paige, KML, KLS, will make the game easier for the rest of the team because of that. Remember, she is still two seasons away from her UConn debut and I would bet she will be better in all aspects of the game by the time she arrives here! I am super high on her and am pretty confident she is going to light it up when she gets here! I believe Geno is going to love her!
One additional trait she showed in some earlier videos was that she was very strong taking it to the basket. Maybe she didn't blow by her defender with exceptional quickness, but she could get to the rim consistently and finish when she got there thru contact on occasion. I don't know how much of that will translate at the next level, but it is another tool in her toolbox.

The step-back jumper is another trait that separates her from just a pure long-range spot up shooter. I think there may be more ability to create her own offense than some may anticipate.

Reaction Score
Allie is clearly a knock down shooter though and a team player. In that highlight reel above it was like Larry Bird Vs Magic Johnson's Michigan Spartans in the college championship game. As with Michigan, the team opposing Allie probably had better players in every slot other than Allie. And it still went into overtime.

CGK

Reaction Score
Allie is clearly a knock down shooter though and a team player. In that highlight reel above it was like Larry Bird Vs Magic Johnson's Michigan Spartans in the college championship game. As with Michigan, the team opposing Allie probably had better players in every slot other than Allie. And it still went into overtime.
That would be Michigan STATE; not "Michigan". That's another team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc