Hobbs to Rutgers as Associate Head Coach | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hobbs to Rutgers as Associate Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fact is, we all have our opinions. Seriously, how could any UConn fan not do cartwheels if Donyell comes home?

So tough from a fans standpoint though huh? I mean Yell would deb great but we also know KFree has put in his time. KO will do what's best.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine a situation where Donyell agrees to go to Rutgers, and then we okay one our assistants to go to Rutgers, and then take Donyell from them. These guys all have each others backs.

Reaction Score
Jalen Rose???? He did say he was coming to Uconn to show us some love!!!

Just Saying!

C

Chief00

This "politically correct BS" is here to stay. The good old days are not coming back. If you keep living in the past, you are setting yourself up to recede into anger and bitterness.

Unfortunately there are people who never give someone like Clyde a second chance. Giving someone a second chance after a 12 year ago misdemeanor is not "bitter" or "living in the past". No, the ones who won't give Clyde a second chance are actually those things.
Bottomline, the dude can coach Bigs.

Reaction Score
Quote from karl Hobbs on how a big man coach can't relate better to big men. Which seems obvious. But I guess I and Karl Hobbs are idiots
“I remember one day at GW, one of our big guys was walking on campus, slumping along, and we were standing there watching,” Hobbs said. “And I recall Donyell telling him, ‘Hey, hey, walk like a big man! Stick your chest out. Pick your head up. You’re a big guy.’ I would have never thought to say that to a big guy. That was an aha moment to me. It was a little thing but it was a big thing."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/c...dout-donyell-marshall-has-the-answer-20160210

Reaction Score
Quote from karl Hobbs on how a big man coach can't relate better to big men. Which seems obvious. But I guess I and Karl Hobbs are idiots
“I remember one day at GW, one of our big guys was walking on campus, slumping along, and we were standing there watching,” Hobbs said. “And I recall Donyell telling him, ‘Hey, hey, walk like a big man! Stick your chest out. Pick your head up. You’re a big guy.’ I would have never thought to say that to a big guy. That was an aha moment to me. It was a little thing but it was a big thing."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/c...dout-donyell-marshall-has-the-answer-20160210

Not sure of your point here?

Reaction Score
Good luck to Karl. Bad luck to Rutgers, hope they remain a coaching graveyard forever.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Donyell is joining Pikeill's staff as well if he doesn't get the CCSU job, no? My prediction will drive the board mad if it comes true, but I honestly think that KO will stay in-house and promote K-Free from DBO to a spot on the bench as our bigs coach.
Freeman a warrior on the boards for an undersized guy. He'd get my vote. In KO we trust.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
My only issue with the "hire an outside perspective," is we lose the recruiting angle that many of our commits have mentioned as a reason they committed here. Everyone on the staff went to UConn, this is a brotherhood of people who bleed blue. Now having one outsider might not change the pitch tooooo dramatically, I'd like to see us try to keep that naritve intact.

Good luck Karl, and thanks for any/all contributions.

Reaction Score
I happen to think that despite our troubles the last couple of seasons with lazy offensive sets, it was the basketball minds of the coaches that brought along those prior to 2 teams to make them so crisp despite their seeming lack of talent. During the McDs game it was mentioned that the 2014 team was the (or one of the only) national champions without a McDs player.

Karl Hobbs brought GW to new heights when he was there, but he kind of lost it with players who were doing badly in classes. On the court, they were formidable. He was also the point guard mentor for many of the 90s and early 2000s. Khalid, Taliek, Ricky Moore.

People are underestimating this loss.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
We need a Nebraska connection to make sure we get Dave Wingett. Or, we need a Uconn guy (or not) whose a little bit older than Ollie (or not) and can verbally spar with Ollie (or not), or a big man coach that can recruit NYC (or not).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Isn't this a win-win? Hobbs gets a raise and UConn gets to bring some fresh blood into the coaching staff.

Reaction Score
I happen to think that despite our troubles the last couple of seasons with lazy offensive sets, it was the basketball minds of the coaches that brought along those prior to 2 teams to make them so crisp despite their seeming lack of talent. During the McDs game it was mentioned that the 2014 team was the (or one of the only) national champions without a McDs player.

Karl Hobbs brought GW to new heights when he was there, but he kind of lost it with players who were doing badly in classes. On the court, they were formidable. He was also the point guard mentor for many of the 90s and early 2000s. Khalid, Taliek, Ricky Moore.

People are underestimating this loss.
While it's unquestionably a big loss, there was a redundancy on this coaching staff. Ricky and KO are more than qualified to work with PGs, and Ricky is proving to be a very formidable recruiter. I think this is good for Karl and could be beneficial for UConn if we're able to bring in the right big man coach to replace him. Good luck KH, and thanks for all the great things you've brought to this University for 35 years.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Unfortunately there are people who never give someone like Clyde a second chance. Giving someone a second chance after a 12 year ago misdemeanor is not "bitter" or "living in the past". No, the ones who won't give Clyde a second chance are actually those things.
Bottomline, the dude can coach Bigs.

I'm totally with you on second chances, but it's damn hard to do, if not impossible, at the same school from which he got fired. It's a PR problem. It also hard for Ollie to walk into a parents house and justify it, while preaching family/character/father figure at the same time Especially given the fact that our program is just coming out of it's troubles. Not to mention the current Louisville/Pitino hooker news cycle.

I def think Clyde should get a second chance, but not at UCONN. Even if I personally wouldn't mind him on the sideline.

Reaction Score
I'm totally with you on second chances, but it's damn hard to do, if not impossible, at the same school from which he got fired. It's a PR problem. It also hard for Ollie to walk into a parents house and justify it, while preaching family/character/father figure at the same time Especially given the fact that our program is just coming out of it's troubles. Not to mention the current Louisville/Pitino hooker news cycle.

I def think Clyde should get a second chance, but not at UCONN. Even if I personally wouldn't mind him on the sideline.
I'm surprised Lousville hasn't offered Clyde a job yet.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
While it's unquestionably a big loss, there was a redundancy on this coaching staff. Ricky and KO are more than qualified to work with PGs, and Ricky is proving to be a very formidable recruiter. I think this is good for Karl and could be beneficial for UConn if we're able to bring in the right big man coach to replace him. Good luck KH, and thanks for all the great things you've brought to this University for 35 years.

Just because a guy didn't play a position, doesn't mean he's worse at coaching/teaching/communicating the skills needed for said positions It's a different skillset. Some of the best coaches in history in a variety of sports didn't play the game at a meaningful level.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Small caveat here. While that's technically correct, DD would have been an AA were he not ineligible due to post grad status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom