Hobbs to Rutgers as Associate Head Coach | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hobbs to Rutgers as Associate Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Has he developed any big men? He was at Buffalo, not exactly a place where big men go to develop. C'mon the big man coach sentiment is not overblown. Having an NBA big man on the staff and helping every day would be amazing
I'm assuming he must have coached some big dudes there. I really doubt they went with an all guard line up. Is there anyone that watched those Buffalo games who saw their PF's and C's improve over time?

Reaction Score
I'm assuming he must have coached some big dudes there. I really doubt they went with an all guard line up. Is there anyone that watched those Buffalo games who saw their PF's and C's improve over time?
Well I know Justin Moss was a very good player there last season

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Personally, I'd love to see us go outside the "UConn family" thing we've got going on. I think that an outside perspective would be a healthy thing to inject into this staff.

I'd also love to see KO have someone next to him whom he sees as a peer, maybe slightly older, with whom he could exchange ideas and thoughts. I think JC benefited greatly from his relationships with Howie and George, and it helped him both on and off the court. I have no idea who that person is for KO, but I think it would be very helpful on a number of levels. I know Karl was older and perhaps fits that description, but I didn't have that sense about their relationship. I could be totally off there; just going by what it looked like. You'd always see JC jawing with Howie, and later with George, and I don't see that with KO and any of the others on his staff.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You have KF -perhaps UConn's most tenacious rebounding, shot blocking fearless post player sitting on the coaching bench - do you think he coaches the guards? If I'm not mistaken, I think this year may have been the first year he has been a bench/practice coach - he was BB operations before - could be wrong.

Freeman is still DBO. He doesn't work with the players in practice.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
One thing re. Donyell: I don't have a link at hand, but I at least recall him playing a role in Buffalo getting a 3-star PF who had offers from Temple and UNC Charlotte this cycle. Not an easy thing to do in the MAC. So we know that for that level at least, he was a very solid recruiter. Whether he is with CCSU, Rutgers, or us next year, I think that may come to the forefront as one of his strengths.

Reaction Score
Personally, I'd love to see us go outside the "UConn family" thing we've got going on. I think that an outside perspective would be a healthy thing to inject into this staff.

I'd also love to see KO have someone next to him whom he sees as a peer, maybe slightly older, with whom he could exchange ideas and thoughts. I think JC benefited greatly from his relationships with Howie and George, and it helped him both on and off the court. I have no idea who that person is for KO, but I think it would be very helpful on a number of levels. I know Karl was older and perhaps fits that description, but I didn't have that sense about their relationship. I could be totally off there; just going by what it looked like. You'd always see JC jawing with Howie, and later with George, and I don't see that with KO and any of the others on his staff.

Love the UConn brotherhood on the bench, but think this might be a decent idea.

Reaction Score
Donyell eats sleeps and breaths UConn, if we call he will not only answer I think he'd be on the next plane, train, or bus to Hartford. He owns UConn flooring, he's in love with the program
As much as he loves UConn, I don't think he'd pass up an opportunity as a head coach at CCSU.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
@Fishy I know you made a post about Butch Pierre a while back - just saw that Gottfried hired him at NC State, so it doesn't look like he'd be on the table for us anymore.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
As much as he loves UConn, I don't think he'd pass up an opportunity as a head coach at CCSU.
He's not the ADs #1 choice

Reaction Score
He's not the ADs #1 choice
Well, he's still in the process of being interviewed and just had his second interview the other day. All I'm saying is that if he is in the running for a head coaching gig, he's not gonna drop everything to come to UConn for an assistant's position.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Well, he's still in the process of being interviewed and just had his second interview the other day. All I'm saying is that if he is in the running for a head coaching gig, he's not gonna drop everything to come to UConn for an assistant's position.

Additionally, if he spends a couple years as a HC at a local low-major, his credibility as a recruiter specifically within the NE high school scene should go up. That can only be a good thing if he aspires to work here as an assistant in the near future.

Reaction Score
Donyell is joining Pikeill's staff as well if he doesn't get the CCSU job, no? My prediction will drive the board mad if it comes true, but I honestly think that KO will stay in-house and promote K-Free from DBO to a spot on the bench as our bigs coach.
Based on precedent, this is what will likely happen.

Reaction Score
Seems strange that a fellow Uconn alum would steal away one of our coaches, was this something Ollie gave his blessing on perhaps?

Reaction Score
Seems strange that a fellow Uconn alum would steal away one of our coaches, was this something Ollie gave his blessing on perhaps?
Don't think KO would be upset with any of his assistant coaches leaving for a better position.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If Karl Hobbs wanted another head coaching job, he was going to have to move - it's like Lafleur leaving for Providence.

Now, UConn has a chance to improve the staff - I'd hope that they'd go out and hire the best coach available to them instead of just promoting from within and actually heading into next year with a less experienced, less able staff.

However, I'd bet on the latter before the former.

Reaction Score
Would love to see them grab someone specializing in skill/player development

Reaction Score
With mainly former UConn/JC-coached guards, I can imagine the bench was a bit of an echo chamber.

An outside perspective would bring major benefits.

Reaction Score
If we go outside of UConn, you have to like Sharman White. USA Basketball U17 assistant coach and tons of championships at miller grove. He reminds me a lot of KO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom